PDA

View Full Version : PA > 2016 SPRING MAHHA Sites Reserved

2Questions
05-23-2015, 06:45
Donna here...

Reservations have been made at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, PA for all 6 sites in the Organized Group Camping Area. The dates are April 22th-24th 2016.

The Furnace Stack Pavilion as been reserved for the entire day Saturday April 23th.

CM Pig Out has been reserved again. We are considering having them bring Pulled Pork this year...no pig on site. Reason...we had them bring an extra tray of Pulled Pork. This meat was more tender and moist than the pig. Any thoughts??

A reminder for those interested...there is a Family Campground just up the road. There is a bath house with showers, and some sites have electricity. Pets are allowed on designated sites, but are not allowed in the Group Camping Area. They are allowed at the Pavilion. Service dogs are allowed anywhere in the park.

Looking forward to another great hang!!

gogrillz
05-26-2015, 08:00
IN IN IN!!!! Had a great time on the last couple hangs!! Thanks Donna, and Tim for putting this together once again. We thought the Pig roast was excellent, but pulled pork is very tasty as well, both are a crowd pleaser for sure! Will there be whoopie pies also? Those are super yummy! :boggle:

Two Tents
05-26-2015, 08:08
Thank you for tending to the endless details that make MAHHA awesome! I vote for pulled pork. I agree on the whiopie pies as well. And the Jersey bears risotto... We need that again also!

ADKGuy
05-27-2015, 20:16
I hope to make it again. Thanks for all you do! I vote for pulled pork. My roast pig was very dry. Nice guy though that cooked it! Gave me a sample ahead of time!

SkyPainter
05-29-2015, 10:43
===> In! Hope to make sure that the Spring NEHHA hangs don't conflict. Actually, I was thinking about proposing a "Gathering Of The Tribes", a combined NEHHA and MAHHA hang at next years MAHHA. Pine Grove Furnace might be the only place large enough to host it. THAT would be EPIC!

Waddya think?

~ SkyPainter

Ewker
05-29-2015, 11:33
we might be able to make this one since both of us will be retired

doogie
05-29-2015, 12:58
Putting it on my calendar now. Thanks Donna.

Now to hike in or out and which direction....I'd like to hit some parts of the AT I haven't done yet...North from Boiling Springs or South of Route 30....time to start planning.

lazy river road
05-29-2015, 13:26
Oohh boy Oohh boy Oohh boy I hope I can make this one especially cause I missed fall. On a side note may I make a suggestion. Would it be possible to get just one tray or even a half tray of pulled beef or chicken for those who don't eat pork. That sounds much tastier then hot dogs. Don't know of its possible, don't even know if I can make it but figured I'd throw out the suggestion. Thanks again 2QZQ and everyone else for putting this whole thing toogether.

2Questions
05-29-2015, 20:22
Would it be possible to get just one tray or even a half tray of pulled beef or chicken for those who don't eat pork. That sounds much tastier then hot dogs. Don't know of its possible, don't even know if I can make it but figured I'd throw out the suggestion.

Great idea...I will look into it!
Donna

Suede
06-04-2015, 07:20
Oohh boy Oohh boy Oohh boy I hope I can make this one especially cause I missed fall. On a side note may I make a suggestion. Would it be possible to get just one tray or even a half tray of pulled beef or chicken for those who don't eat pork. That sounds much tastier then hot dogs. Don't know of its possible, don't even know if I can make it but figured I'd throw out the suggestion. Thanks again 2QZQ and everyone else for putting this whole thing toogether.

Thanks Donna for locking this in again!!! Going on my calendar. I would be up for contributing some pulled chicken.

Zilla
06-04-2015, 12:03
Just a suggestion but what ever happened to good old burgers and hot dogs??

2Questions
06-04-2015, 12:19
Just a suggestion but what ever happened to good old burgers and hot dogs??

Too much work for 130+ people. Much easier for those planning and doing the work to have the main part of the meal prepared and brought on site!
Donna

2Questions
06-04-2015, 12:20
Thanks Donna for locking this in again!!! Going on my calendar. I would be up for contributing some pulled chicken.

I'm waiting for a call back from CM Pig Out. I will let you know what I find out.
Donna

Zilla
06-04-2015, 12:30
Too much work for 130+ people. Much easier for those planning and doing the work to have the main part of the meal prepared and brought on site!
Donna

I get it and agree, there is alot more work involved than most realize and you are greatly apreciated for all you do.
Just a childhood connection between camping and burgers i guess. goes together like peanut butter and jelly..
I will definitly be in for this Mahha and am allready looking foward to it.
Also the wife and i would be willing to help out in any way we can and as it gets coser we will figure out what is the best way to do that.Just alittle early yet.

2Questions
06-04-2015, 13:09
I get it and agree, there is alot more work involved than most realize and you are greatly apreciated for all you do.
Just a childhood connection between camping and burgers i guess. goes together like peanut butter and jelly..
I will definitly be in for this Mahha and am allready looking foward to it.
Also the wife and i would be willing to help out in any way we can and as it gets coser we will figure out what is the best way to do that.Just alittle early yet.

Maybe hamburgers and hot dogs can be cooked for Friday supper, for those interested, at the group camping area.

Zilla
06-05-2015, 00:01
Maybe hamburgers and hot dogs can be cooked for Friday supper, for those interested, at the group camping area.

Now that's an idea that i never thought of,, We just might do that.
Thanks for the suggestion

Bigfoot86
06-05-2015, 12:49
Definitely in, however when is the fall hang.

2Questions
06-05-2015, 14:16
Definitely in, however when is the fall hang.

October 9-11
Donna

Edit: I just added it to the HF calendar

2Questions
06-10-2015, 06:01
Would it be possible to get just one tray or even a half tray of pulled beef or chicken for those who don't eat pork. That sounds much tastier then hot dogs.

I have contacted CM Pig Out. In addition to the pulled pork, we will have pulled chicken.

We will continue to offer hot dogs for the children.

Thanks for the great suggestion Lazy river road!
Donna

Two Tents
06-10-2015, 06:53
[QUOTE=2Questions;1469865]I have contacted CM Pig Out. In addition to the pulled pork, we will have pulled chicken.

We will continue to offer hot dogs for the children.

Thanks for the great suggestion Lazy river road!
Donna[details of

Thanks once again, Donna (and Tim too) for tending to the little things. Attention to the details of MAHHA after MAHHA is appreciated more than words can say. Peace, Two Tents and ben

Demeter
10-24-2015, 16:57
On my calendar! Rich is looking forward to another hang as well!

Maceo'sMom
10-26-2015, 12:11
Yay! Trying to get my husband out to the Spring hang, and he doesn't eat red meat, so pulled chicken is welcome (and persuasive) news!!

mychal
10-26-2015, 13:06
Yay! Trying to get my husband out to the Spring hang, and he doesn't eat red meat, so pulled chicken is welcome (and persuasive) news!!
If he comes, will he be in a hammock? I can see 8 or 12 people standing around him Friday, throwing out comfort tips. The pulled chicken will be the bait.

larryschwartz
10-26-2015, 15:50
I will be there too, and will bring some extra hammocks if folks need them.

locknload
10-26-2015, 18:25
In! Pulled pork sounds great!

dink712
10-27-2015, 19:12
Sweet...the non-pork fair (chicken) would be wonderful for us kosher types...this year will be bringing two grandchildren!!

Maceo'sMom
11-11-2015, 17:09
If he comes, will he be in a hammock? I can see 8 or 12 people standing around him Friday, throwing out comfort tips. The pulled chicken will be the bait.

That's my goal, though I'm sure he will bring his tent with him as a fail-safe!

El Gordo
11-11-2015, 19:35
Donna here...

We are considering having them bring Pulled Pork this year...no pig on site. Reason...we had them bring an extra tray of Pulled Pork. This meat was more tender and moist than the pig. Any thoughts??

I think I ate most of the extra tray. ;)

Saint Francis
12-02-2015, 22:29
Maybe a little less tree falling this time 'round.

Philsweep
12-02-2015, 22:37
Think I can make my first group hang

gogrillz
12-07-2015, 07:38
Maybe a little less tree falling this time 'round.

LOL should we bring our own chainsaws? or trees? :lol: just don't hang from the same trees as Dutch, and you'll be fine!

Conquering Fool
12-08-2015, 20:09
I'd like to make this -- what is the local fishing like?

doogie
12-09-2015, 07:19
Not much in the park, but drive 10-15 minutes East to Mountain Creek just South of Mount Holly Springs and there are lots of easy access to a beautiful trout stream along route 34.

mac5335
12-24-2015, 13:57
There is actually a lot of fishing available. Both Laurel Lake and Fuller Lake are stocked with trout more than once per season. Mountain Creek runs right thru the park. There are many spots along the creek to park. Just don't expect to be alone, as it is sometimes pretty busy, especially for opening of trout season. Upstream of the Bendersville Rd. bridge is less traveled and there are wild brookies.

Cham102
12-26-2015, 18:17
The pork was very tasty. I'm in for 2016.

Ratdog
01-01-2016, 12:34

Long Pine Run Reservoir has big flats and is easier to fish with a canoe. You can fish the creeks that dump in and out and there are few spots if you are willing to walk a bit.

Mountain creek west of the park is hit or miss depending on water levels like anywhere else. It's been pretty low in the spring the last couple of years. People fish it but I've seen more fish closer to PGFSP than along 233.

We really enjoy this hang and have tacked on a week before or a couple days after the gathering for the last couple years in both the Spring and the Fall. Usually to backcountry camp or just stay in the group area and chill. Haven't really fished and that needs to change! I think I'll make it a New Year's Resolution. :cool:

KrackerJax
01-05-2016, 21:29
how does one join in on this hang? I should have all my gear by then and would love to be a part of this. do I just come on down and meet up with everyone or should I get a site within the park? it's my first time at something like this.

WVCAMPER
01-05-2016, 22:00
Usually they will have a signup sheet, but I havnt seen one yet. I am also thinking about going. I have to see if my schedule will permit it. It would be my first group hang. Everything i read about the last one sounds like it was a great success.

Jay

attroll
01-05-2016, 22:26
Is there a sign up sheet for this event?

2Questions
01-05-2016, 23:05
Is there a sign up sheet for this event?

Donna here...
Not yet...we will post in sometime in February. It is usually posted toward the beginning...but might be later in the month this year because of some out of state family visits mid February.

2Questions
01-05-2016, 23:08
how does one join in on this hang? I should have all my gear by then and would love to be a part of this. do I just come on down and meet up with everyone or should I get a site within the park? it's my first time at something like this.

Donna here...
You will not need to reserve a site unless you plan on bringing a dog. Here is last years Planning Thread for details...most will stay the same. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/106169-PA-gt-2015-Spring-MAHHA-April-24-26th-Official-Planning-Thread?highlight=2015+spring+mahha

KrackerJax
01-06-2016, 09:21
thanks for the reply. I hope I have all my stuff by april. I'm definitely going, though it's only a few hours drive for me up here in central NY I'm excited there is a hang this close.

mychal
01-06-2016, 09:35
thanks for the reply. I hope I have all my stuff by april. I'm definitely going, though it's only a few hours drive for me up here in central NY I'm excited there is a hang this close.
Don't sweat it, if you don't have everything you think you need. We'll all chip in and loan it to you. Or, if you want to experiment, folks can likely help you out with that, too.

KrackerJax
01-07-2016, 06:43
that's awesome. just getting out and meeting other hangers will be great. I've been slowly getting my friends into hanging but most are stubborn lol. can't wait to meet all of you and see the different rigs people bring along.

Cranky Bear
01-07-2016, 10:17
Donna and Tim thank you (as always) for everything that you do for this event. It has always been such a fantastic time and I firmly believe that is due in part by how well it is organized each and every time. I look forward to seeing all of my friends again, and hope to make new ones as well.

twyych
01-11-2016, 01:30
I'm hoping to come out. I'm in Hershey, so relatively close. I browse the forums a lot, so it would be great to get out and meet everyone.

harleynemo
01-11-2016, 09:13
I am in and looking forward to seeing everyone!

tangara
01-16-2016, 06:45
===> In! Hope to make sure that the Spring NEHHA hangs don't conflict. Actually, I was thinking about proposing a "Gathering Of The Tribes", a combined NEHHA and MAHHA hang at next years MAHHA. Pine Grove Furnace might be the only place large enough to host it. THAT would be EPIC!

Waddya think?

~ SkyPainter

As for a place large enough for a hang, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area might be an option that is between the two groups. I wonder if there is a site in there that would be suitable? I know we've camped in groups sites during river trips with about 30 people with plenty of room. I'm thinking the biggest are on the Jersey side, but there was a gated one on the PA side that was fairly large.

k5bpc
01-25-2016, 11:53
Donna,

Thank you for keeping this thing going. Is there a planning thread yet for things you need people to bring and such?

I hope to see you all in a few months!

--K5BPC (Brian)

2Questions
01-25-2016, 12:33
Donna,

Thank you for keeping this thing going. Is there a planning thread yet for things you need people to bring and such?

I hope to see you all in a few months!

--K5BPC (Brian)

We will be posting the Official Planning Thread sometime in February...probably the later part. There will be a link for a sign up sheet in that thread.
Thank you for asking!
Donna

12trysomething
01-25-2016, 14:18

If OnTime is going, I'm going.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sincerely,
Whatshisname

iconicflux
01-26-2016, 02:54
Wow! I just noticed this is only about 75 minutes away. I'm going to try hard to make this one...

KrackerJax
01-26-2016, 10:24
dream hammock is almost done with my danger bird the last piece to my new set up so I will definitely be there. I can't wait

JollyGreen
01-26-2016, 14:38

I didn't get a new knee for Christmas or my birthday so I won't be hiking in, especially after you tortured me last year.

bonsaihiker
01-29-2016, 07:44
Going to keep an eye on this--I may just make the drive out there this year.

SnowyRiverKayakMan
01-29-2016, 13:11
This is not to far from us and it doesn't conflict with any Boy Scout camping weekend, I think I will make it with my two boys.

SoundMan
01-29-2016, 16:35
I am planning on riding my motorcycle down. Any other attendees interested in doing some ADV riding in the Michaux State Forest on Saturday? There are some routes on the ADV website I would like to explore. Mainly gravel roads with no single track.

Donna/Tim-let me know if it is cool to link this event to a MotoCamping community I participate in. There are several folks over there that are curious.

It will be good to see all the great folks from Mahha!

Greg the Soundman

KrackerJax
01-30-2016, 15:10
I get my hammock Monday that gives me plenty of time to fine tune it and do a couple of outings

I can't wait till april.

Seahag
01-31-2016, 10:53
IN! tee hee...

jcvd01
01-31-2016, 12:12
I'm going to try and make this one, I have tried to make these hangs a couple of times now but something always comes up! Soundman I'd be up for some riding if I can make it, I rode my vstrom out there in the fall and only got to do a small bit of adv riding through Michaux.

Reubster24
02-01-2016, 11:10
I may be in.

Ratdog
02-02-2016, 20:05
I am definitely in.
Fixed it for you !! :lol:

SoundMan
02-05-2016, 09:03
Thanks jcvd01,

Let's see if any other MotoHammockCampers chime in. We can put together a nice gravel route that would be fun.

gogrillz
02-06-2016, 06:31
Thanks jcvd01,

Let's see if any other MotoHammockCampers chime in. We can put together a nice gravel route that would be fun.

I'm a motohammockcamper. But it's a 5 hour slab ride for me :(

lazy river road
02-06-2016, 10:21
I am planning on riding my motorcycle down. Any other attendees interested in doing some ADV riding in the Michaux State Forest on Saturday? There are some routes on the ADV website I would like to explore. Mainly gravel roads with no single track.

Donna/Tim-let me know if it is cool to link this event to a MotoCamping community I participate in. There are several folks over there that are curious.

It will be good to see all the great folks from Mahha!

Greg the Soundman

Sound man it be great to see you it's been ages. By the way I still use the Phish mug you gave me I love that thing. I should be at this one so see ya their.

JmBoh
02-06-2016, 21:48
vaca time approved. I'll be there!! :)

iconicflux
02-06-2016, 22:11
How family friendly is this event?

Saint Francis
02-06-2016, 22:45

Very. It's mostly adults, but there are a few youngins around. There's no (visible) alcohol or other "adult" behavior. I took my first-year college daughter last year and had no concerns whatsoever about the folks there. Everyone is very friendly, welcoming, and light-hearted. I'm trying to get my younger high-school aged kids to go but schedules might not allow it. Bring the kids! Get them hanging as soon as possible. They will love it, and you will be glad they are with you.

iconicflux
02-06-2016, 23:13
Very. It's mostly adults, but there are a few youngins around. There's no (visible) alcohol or other "adult" behavior. I took my first-year college daughter last year and had no concerns whatsoever about the folks there. Everyone is very friendly, welcoming, and light-hearted. I'm trying to get my younger high-school aged kids to go but schedules might not allow it. Bring the kids! Get them hanging as soon as possible. They will love it, and you will be glad they are with you.
Looks like I'm bringing my 9yo daughter with me. Gotta work on her hanging setup in case the temp dives down. Figure I'll diy her a uq and tq. She can get away with a blue tarp for this trip..( I don't have enough bones for another silnylon tarp. )

Is it worth bringing turtledog stands in case there're not enough trees or is that not really an issue?

Also, I'm wondering if I should bring a set of Cards against Humanity to play at night...

Saint Francis
02-06-2016, 23:24
Looks like I'm bringing my 9yo daughter with me. Gotta work on her hanging setup in case the temp dives down. Figure I'll diy her a uq and tq. She can get away with a blue tarp for this trip..( I don't have enough bones for another silnylon tarp. )

Is it worth bringing turtledog stands in case there're not enough trees or is that not really an issue?

Also, I'm wondering if I should bring a set of Cards against Humanity to play at night...

There are plenty of trees. The only issue is location. The sooner you get there, the more choices you have. I liked being far from the communal fire so I could get some sleep while there was still folks socializing.

Bring the cards. They are small enough to leave in your car if you don't use them. Most times, folks are just hanging out.

Bring a few bucks for the raffle (tickets were $10 each last time). You may win some cool gear.

Ratdog
02-08-2016, 00:36

I invite my sisters and their families, friends, neighbors and they all have kids.

The place, group camp area, is large enough to handle 100 folks and has 4 communal fire pits. Usually there will 2, perhaps 3 fires and at least one them is family friendly. Lots of laughs, story telling maybe some music.

I've camped with my nephews and nieces for a week before the hang and on other occasions, the week after. Wrapping some time around the big hang weekend has been fun every time. If we go early, we do a little back country camping (no fee, just registration for the back country sites), then pay to stay at the family sites for a few days. (reserve the sites in advance they go quick, great bathrooms, clean, heated) Sometimes well stay for a couple days after the big hang is over and we have this huge pine grove to ourselves. The Park Office has been very accommodating with the last minute add on, we just have to pay the site fee for the additional day(s). There's room for another 15-20 folks when we rent just one of the 4 available group sites, so folks are welcome to join us. The fall calendar seems to work out with the days kids have off from school but the Spring gathering has me calling in the 'Uncle's prerogative' and yanking them out of school for a day or two.

On average I'll have a pair of 9 year olds, pair of 13 year old and maybe a 18-20 year old in tow with me, along with one or two of their parents.

There's lots to do in the area if you enjoy hiking. The AT passes through and it's an easy drive to various hiking locations that follow some trout streams or are up on a ridge. There are a few lakes and ponds in the area for paddling or hiking. When the weather cooperates it's great for stargazing.

The kids tend to find each other and work something out to do. As kids will. Around feeding time at the pavilion, just bring the kids over to another bunch, sit down, say hello and that's about all I've ever had to do.

I've never heard of anyone ever having to go to ground. Arriving early allows you to choose a prime spot but none of them are bad. Turtle dog stands just give you more flexibility.

When you arrive, there are always folks willing to lend a hand with setup and scouting sites. I've rarely made it out of the car, let alone the parking lot before folks are offering to help. Very generous and friendly group this is.

2Questions
02-08-2016, 08:04
Donna here...
A few FYIs...

--It is always a good idea to consider bringing a hammock stand if you have one. If you don't need it...maybe if someone else does...consider allowing them to use it. We never know until the last couple of weeks or less how many people will be attending the hang. Yes, there are plenty of trees...but depending on how many come...we could run out of tree hanging places. There is plenty of open space to put a stand.

--Please know...only those paying to stay on one of the sites at the Family Campground have the use of those bathroom facilities. EDIT: Day use shower facilities will not be open at this time of the year. See Doogie's post #73 below.

--Those bringing a dog must stay in the family campground. Only service dogs are allowed in the Group Camping Area. All leashed dogs are allowed at the pavilion.

--If available...any of the sites at the Group Camping Area may be reserved for days before or after the hang. It is up to the individual to make and pay for these reservations.

--Alcohol is not permitted in the park.

--All this and other info will be in the Official Planning Thread that will be posted sometime this month.

Thank you!

doogie
02-08-2016, 09:29
Donna here...
A few FYIs...

--Please know...only those paying to stay on one of the sites at the Family Campground have the use of those bathroom facilities. I believe there are showers available at one of the day use areas.

Thank you!
I suggested this a few years ago, but then found out that the day use area showers are only open when the beaches are open.

"The beaches at Fuller and Laurel lakes are open from May 1 to September 30, 8 a.m. to sunset."

So, we are a few weeks early for them. I believe that you can contact the ranger station and pay for shower use. Something like $3

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

2Questions
02-08-2016, 09:40
I suggested this a few years ago, but then found out that the day use area showers are only open when the beaches are open.

"The beaches at Fuller and Laurel lakes are open from May 1 to September 30, 8 a.m. to sunset."

So, we are a few weeks early for them. I believe that you can contact the ranger station and pay for shower use. Something like $3

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Thanks Doogie!
Donna

craig.hertzog
02-08-2016, 11:56
How do I get in on this? My son and I are getting into hammock camping this year and I've been told these group hangs are a great way to get started, plus this is pretty close to me. I'm getting our first hammocks in a week or 2.

Ratdog
02-08-2016, 14:03
How do I get in on this? My son and I are getting into hammock camping this year and I've been told these group hangs are a great way to get started, plus this is pretty close to me. I'm getting our first hammocks in a week or 2.

Show up.
Say Hello.
:)

When the signup sheet is posted, it's helpful to put down that you are planning to attend so the head count matches the food prepared. Not that there is ever a lack of food.

SoundMan
02-08-2016, 14:15
Sound man it be great to see you it's been ages. By the way I still use the Phish mug you gave me I love that thing. I should be at this one so see ya their.

LRR- great stuff. I have missed several MAHHA's and backpack trips with 2Q due to too much work and not enough play time!

See you then.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
02-08-2016, 16:46

I'm in the same boat, I put in a vacation request at work today, have to wait a week to find out if I get it tho.... was wondering where to sign up, how much it cost to attend, etc but I saw above Donna said there will be another thread about that. Waiting as patiently as possible, should be ordering our 1st of 2 hammocks this pay-day.

How buggy is Pine Grove in April?

SilvrSurfr
02-08-2016, 18:35
How buggy is Pine Grove in April?

Not very - but you never know what the overnight lows will be.

Cave Man
02-10-2016, 16:26
Last year we had lite snow the two days prior to the hang a bunch of us were up hiking before the hang did not see any bugs.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
02-10-2016, 21:45
Last year we had lite snow the two days prior to the hang a bunch of us were up hiking before the hang did not see any bugs.

that's what I'm thinking too, we got married in April ('93) and honeymooned in Gettysburg (I'm a nerd :lol:). Our pic's show us in shorts and t-shirts at the beginning and snow suits by the end of the week. Expecting it to be cold. We need to buy hammocks, suspensions, and some kinda of insulation, we have tarps (tent campers) and good sleeping bags. I'm looking at closed cell foam pads right now, but since we never used them before I'd like to experiment a little first, hopefully I can get out a few time in March to test our gear. Wife will kill me if I take her out in the cold, unless I can keep her warm and cosy :shades: Also have an old sleeping bag I might be able to DIY a couple of under quilts out of, not sure how good they'll be, can you tell I'm worried LOL, worst case I could bring the tent and air mattress just in case :scared:

tangara
02-11-2016, 06:24
You live in Erie, you should be used to it all ;) I started using a hammock 30 years ago and everything was DIY. You'll be car camping, so you actually have a lot of options for underquilts, especially if you have old gear. You can take tons of stuff with you and have other options. Worse case scenario is a sleeping bag wrapped around the entire hammock. Better scenario, take an old square sleeping bag and tie prusiks on the four corners and rig it up somehow to the hammock ridgeline. Another scenario, the pad, an old synthetic sleeping bag inside the hammock to sleep on, and another the use over yourself. That should cover anything that happens at the end of April, cold-wise. Once you get there, meet people and you'll get to see all the other options out there. You might even be able to borrow some things to try. I'm sure everyone else will bring a lot of gear, too. That's what the hangs are for. I tend to have a car load of junk when I car camp so I can test out different ideas.

Anyway, just get there and you'll have a ball!

Cave Man
02-11-2016, 07:32
L
that's what I'm thinking too, we got married in April ('93) and honeymooned in Gettysburg (I'm a nerd :lol:). Our pic's show us in shorts and t-shirts at the beginning and snow suits by the end of the week. Expecting it to be cold. We need to buy hammocks, suspensions, and some kinda of insulation, we have tarps (tent campers) and good sleeping bags. I'm looking at closed cell foam pads right now, but since we never used them before I'd like to experiment a little first, hopefully I can get out a few time in March to test our gear. Wife will kill me if I take her out in the cold, unless I can keep her warm and cosy :shades: Also have an old sleeping bag I might be able to DIY a couple of under quilts out of, not sure how good they'll be, can you tell I'm worried LOL, worst case I could bring the tent and air mattress just in case :scared:

Most times if people see your posts saying you need a piece of gear they will offer lending you something of there's.
I have a couple doubles of gear and if you need anything and I have extra just send me a PM and we can make sure your time is better there.

I will be there this hang .

larryschwartz
02-11-2016, 13:22
You live in Erie, you should be used to it all ;) I started using a hammock 30 years ago and everything was DIY. You'll be car camping, so you actually have a lot of options for underquilts, especially if you have old gear. You can take tons of stuff with you and have other options. Worse case scenario is a sleeping bag wrapped around the entire hammock. Better scenario, take an old square sleeping bag and tie prusiks on the four corners and rig it up somehow to the hammock ridgeline. Another scenario, the pad, an old synthetic sleeping bag inside the hammock to sleep on, and another the use over yourself. That should cover anything that happens at the end of April, cold-wise. Once you get there, meet people and you'll get to see all the other options out there. You might even be able to borrow some things to try. I'm sure everyone else will bring a lot of gear, too. That's what the hangs are for. I tend to have a car load of junk when I car camp so I can test out different ideas.

Anyway, just get there and you'll have a ball!

Tangara,

Another approach, other than an underquilt is to use an insulated air mattress. Slip it into the bottom of your hammock, or in the sleeve if it has one, and it will take care of your cold butt syndrome. You can then unzip a sleeping bag and use it like a top quilt. I did this at the Fall MAHA wiht a 20* bag and slept fine down to around freezing. I used a Big Agnes Q-Core, but their Insulated Air Core would also work for you.

I have also found that a layer of reflectix like material laid under your sleeping bag does wonders for reflecting your heat back to you. Lots of heat for little weight. Many hammock manufacturers are selling something like this now.

Larry

KrackerJax
02-12-2016, 03:48
I've got all my stuffs I can't wait to hang out with you all. actually I can't wait for this snow storm to pass so I can get out and set up my stuff. so excited.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
02-15-2016, 17:57

Vacation approved by the HR dept. so we're in!

ZigZag
02-15-2016, 22:43
A freind and I are going to be there. I will be bringing my dutch gear, and diy pod. My freind will be stuck with some random hammock, sleeping bag, and stuff thrown together. lol

craig.hertzog
02-18-2016, 20:57
I'm hoping to make this, depends on my work schedule.

Diab
02-19-2016, 21:31
Thanks jcvd01,

I'll be riding up as long as its not 3 hours in the rain, and if my friend comes there will be one more bike.

Murray
02-22-2016, 06:57
Wife and I would love to come, but my hiking buddy (black lab) is not allowed.

doogie
02-22-2016, 07:30
Wife and I would love to come, but my hiking buddy (black lab) is not allowed.True, dogs are not allowed in the group camp site, but there are individual camp sites available that allow dogs that is only a short walk from the day use area where the breakfast, dinner and raffle are held. Dogs are allowed (on a leash in the day use area). It would be up to you to reserve and pay for the individual site. An added bonus is that you get use of flush toilets and showers with the individual sites. There are always a few hangers that bring their dogs and stay in the private sites, or just stop by for the afternoon.

larryschwartz
02-22-2016, 10:03
True, dogs are not allowed in the group camp site, but there are individual camp sites available that allow dogs that is only a short walk from the day use area where the breakfast, dinner and raffle are held. Dogs are allowed (on a leash in the day use area). It would be up to you to reserve and pay for the individual site. An added bonus is that you get use of flush toilets and showers with the individual sites. There are always a few hangers that bring their dogs and stay in the private sites, or just stop by for the afternoon.

Murray,

The individual campsites are shown on this map in the bottom left of the graphic, in the loop with the satellite that has the number 2 on it. The group camping is about in the middle of the map where you see the letters F and A-E. The pavillion where we do meals and the auction is the Furnace Stack pavillion.

doogie
02-23-2016, 10:11
I just started a thread for a hike into Spring MAHHA (https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/122057-Spring-MAHHA-hike-in?p=1591507#post1591507)

Saint Francis
02-23-2016, 14:24
The sign up sheet hasn't been posted yet, has it? Or did I miss it?

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
02-23-2016, 17:03
The sign up sheet hasn't been posted yet, has it? Or did I miss it?
I haven't seen anything, and I'm checking a few times a day :lol: too excited for this

Demeter
02-26-2016, 00:09
No excuses, dear! I am hiking in with dear old dad. Can't wait to see you again!

TreeBeard13
02-26-2016, 10:32
Been trying to make this for a year and a half...got pneumonia, father had surgery, best friend and neighbors parents 50th Anninersary party...etc...NO MORE!
This year I'm taking Yoda's advice. "Try Not! Do or Do Not!"...I put it on the calendar and nothing short of the apocalypse will stop me this year!!!

bser272
02-26-2016, 10:53
The wife and I have our own site reserved for the weekend there, but we'll have to stop down at some point and check out the festivities. Probably after we hike back from Pole Steeple. Can't imagine that many hammocks in one place!

2Questions
02-26-2016, 22:11
Hi All,
We have been away for a family reunion/vacation in Florida and I didn't have computer/internet access like I expected to. We won't be home until Sunday evening, but I will try to compose the planning thread in the car tomorrow, and post it as soon as I have internet access again.
Thank you all for your patience.
Donna

2Questions
02-28-2016, 23:10
I have finally posted the Planning Thread. I'm sorry for the delay in doing this.
Any additional comments...please post on planning thread.
Thank you all for your patience!
Donna

attroll
02-29-2016, 12:19
I am closing this thread now that the planning thread is up.