PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a bug net out of RSBTR's 0.5 oz mesh yet?

MiriRose
05-26-2015, 12:06
Like the title - has anyone made a bug net for their hammock, either integrated (sewn in with zipper entry) or separate (sock or Fronkey-style or...), out of Ripstop by the Roll's 0.5 oz/sq yard noseeum mesh (http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-5-oz-ns50-noseeum-mesh-black)? If you have, how did it turn out and how is it working out? I noticed when handling the swatch I ordered of it that it was very drapey compared to the usually somewhat stiff hand that noseeum mesh typically has. Is that at all an issue in practice?

Drybones
05-26-2015, 13:42
I just made one (Fronkey) from some material I got at Hobby Lobby, 11 yds (less corner trimming), shock cord, and a stuff sack weigh 5 oz....$1.29/yd. I've used it a couple of nights and it works well.

MiriRose
05-26-2015, 13:52
I was asking about a specific fabric. I can't tell whether you missed that part or are suggesting a less expensive alternative. I'm glad that what you made is working out for you though!

ksbcrocks
05-26-2015, 14:13
I've got the same question as you. I almost went for the .5 but ended up going with the .67 because of cost vs weight savings.

jwright
05-26-2015, 16:29
KSB - hope it isn't a thread derail, but how do you like the .67 from RSBTR? Any second thoughts about not spending the extra for the .5o?
thanks

hipbone
05-26-2015, 16:48
got one half made...fronkey style but it has an open side so you can move it out of the way and sit in your hammock with it pushed to one side. super flow-y material, almost has a fabric style hand. i had it set up on my hammock and the flow of the fabric didn't seem to make a huge difference. it was pretty stretchy and i liked the way it wrapped around my hammock. I'm a weight geek so if it functions like the .67 fabric it'll be a huge win for me. I'll get it finished in a day or so and try to post some pics

MiriRose
05-26-2015, 17:21
Thanks, hipbone!

awilhelm13
05-26-2015, 20:18
I had essentially the same question posted in the announcement thread for this material but I think it was too soon to get any responses before the thread was lost. I was curious how people worked with the NS50 seeing as it's wider than the .67oz (62" vs. 54") since the instructions for making a Fronkey style net seem to just use the fabrics manufactured width. Interesting what you said about the feel of it being different than the regular .67oz noseeum - sounds like it's less "stiff" perhaps? That also makes me wonder about any possible difference in airflow through the two.

hipbone
05-26-2015, 21:27
I had essentially the same question posted in the announcement thread for this material but I think it was too soon to get any responses before the thread was lost. I was curious how people worked with the NS50 seeing as it's wider than the .67oz (62" vs. 54") since the instructions for making a Fronkey style net seem to just use the fabrics manufactured width. Interesting what you said about the feel of it being different than the regular .67oz noseeum - sounds like it's less "stiff" perhaps? That also makes me wonder about any possible difference in airflow through the two.

The 62 inch wide fabric seems to work by simply folding it in half for my body size...i'd say that i'm a pretty small guy, but any bigger than me and you might find yourself checking for gaps a little more often...even if you have to double the fabric the .5NS would still be a big enough weight savings over the .67

also, we used Fire in my Bones link below as a rough guide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4krrnvmyKo&list=PLJymCb0RlMqY3R_mTyZYv4kyzEw8dTHkt&index=10

ksbcrocks
05-27-2015, 08:19
KSB - hope it isn't a thread derail, but how do you like the .67 from RSBTR? Any second thoughts about not spending the extra for the .5o?
thanks

I like it a lot. Compared to the normal stuff, it's: Easier to see through, lighter, compresses better, and maybe more breathable? I like to think that it is.
When I first got the material I was slightly concerned about strength, but I realized that isn't an issue on my last trip. I pulled up the hole in the bottom of my fronkey style bug net enough to where I could sit down in the hammock without getting inside the netting, and I didn't open the hammock enough before I sat down. I fell right back on to the netting, and it was holding most of my weight up. Only way I could get out was by grabbing my ridgeline and pulling myself up. I thought for sure I had damaged the netting, but I couldn't find any damage. I don't know about it snagging on sticks since I do my best to keep my netting away from those, but at least when being stretched its pretty strong.

I think I made the right decision not going with the NS50 because I'm really happy with this netting, and my backpack weight is already low enough that I don't notice the pack much even on 5 day trips (I was at 23 pounds at the heaviest on this last one). I'm in college and I can't afford to splurge on everything to save weight, but if money wasn't as big of an issue I wouldn't have felt bad going with the NS50. Especially if it is even more breathable.

clutch146
05-27-2015, 08:56
I made an A-frame net/tent with a bathtub tent floor with the NS50 (I plan to put this in the DIY section when I get time). I basically wanted a net with a floor that the dog can sleep on, and have it be wide enough for two sleeping side-by-side. I used it over Memorial Day weekend, and it worked quite well. I was definitely impressed with the material - the feel and strength surpassed my expectations. At one point, my dog was outside, didn't see the netting and ran straight through it at full speed. I thought for sure it was toast, but there was only a small hole at my seam where the netting meets the floor.

In all, the fabric is great. It's very easy to sew, has a great fabric-like feel to it (I've had very plasticy-feeling netting before), the stretch to it is perfect, and it's quite strong for as light as it is.

Gqgeek81
05-27-2015, 09:03
but but but I just made a Fronkey style bug net out of the ~.7 stuff which I thought was the lightest. :crying

jwright
05-27-2015, 11:18
Thanks for the replies, all good info.

Madman4049
05-27-2015, 12:59
Would love to hear how one would hold up. It looks like an awesome choice for bug netting but probably real prone to getting damaged. I'd be interested in having a head bug net of the stuff.

MAD777
05-27-2015, 17:46
I haven't tried the 0.5 oz netting yet, although I definitely will with confidence. I say this because I made my first mosquito net using tulle. It was meant to be a prototype, so that I could get the measurements right before making the real bugnet from my more expensive netting. Well, the tulle net, weighing 0.33 oz, lasted into the third hiking season, when I ripped it on purpose!

MiriRose
05-27-2015, 19:42
clutch146, I'm looking forward to seeing your tent! Can you post a link to the DIY section thread on it here once you've posted? I'm also super glad to hear that it's easy to sew. :)

clutch146
05-28-2015, 11:20
I just posted that thread, you can find it here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/110614-NS50-Hammock-Net-Tent-2-person-bugnet-with-floor). Thanks!

MiriRose
05-28-2015, 11:56
I just posted that thread, you can find it here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/110614-NS50-Hammock-Net-Tent-2-person-bugnet-with-floor). Thanks!

Thanks!

hipbone
08-16-2015, 22:09
Old thread but I finally got around to making my bug net. Started a new thread here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113984