PDA

View Full Version : PolyD anti-static

Uphill
05-28-2015, 21:10
I'm just curious, would running a Netty made of PolyD in the dryer with no heat and a couple dryer sheets remedy the static issue with the PolyD?

MomMeck
05-28-2015, 21:23
It will help. I have put PolyD hammocks in the dryer with a damp wash cloth and dryer sheet for about 15 min. on very low heat. Others have rubbed a dryer sheet over the hammock and say that helps also. I am not sure how long either of these methods last.

meckelangelo
05-29-2015, 14:25
Beth's PolyD Netty has been used maybe a dozen times, and the static is definitely much less extreme that when we first completed it. However, with that DL you picked up, it wouldn't shock me (see what I did there?) if it was prone to building up a charge more easily.

Dryer sheets. I wipe every PolyD hammock down with a couple of them before it ships. It helps, but it doesn't solve world hunger.

doogie
05-29-2015, 14:34
I don't think you're old enough to have one Uphill, but I used an anti-static gun (Zero-stat was the most popular model I think) that was sold to clean LP records (vinyl). When I first got my poly fabric it was sticking to itself so much that it made sewing a pain. I went over the fabric with the gun and it almost completely eliminated the issue....I haven't noticed it return.

Uphill
05-29-2015, 17:06
Is the anti static gun of the space lazer variety?

doogie
05-29-2015, 17:48
Is the anti static gun of the space lazer variety?
Unfortunately, no. When you squeeze the trigger it shoots a stream of charged ions and releasing shoots a stream of the opposite polarity ions. But it sure is fun to make a piece of tinsel on the Christmas tree dance with it.

gunner76
05-29-2015, 19:56
Maybe you could use the static electricity to electrocute skeeters ?