PDA

View Full Version : New to site and hammocks; Specific questions Re: WBBB / HH Expedition / Dutchware

azmtnbiker
05-29-2015, 22:41
Hi, let me make this kinda quick and introduce myself.

I'm new to hammocks for camping but not at all new to "niche" websites so I understand how crazy and detailed one can become over their passion/sport. Will be using a hammock primarily for camping in Northern Arizona during summer time. It's Pine tree country at an altitude of 6000ft to 7500ft. Nights in the summer time typically drop into the 50's maybe, barring a cold front thunder storm...which is very typical of N. AZ. I am also an avid mountain biker and have done several bikepacks...for those that don't know this is simply riding/camping and carrying most of what you need (if not all, on short trips) with you on your mtn bike...this means weight and space are paramount. However I am not "avid" bikepacker so super UL is not needed. I have done several overnighters carrying a solo tent/down bag/ground cover that weighs several pounds. Not ideal but good enough for me on my occasional outings. I just mention this so that you all dont' think super UL is "the" priority. For me it's a balance of weight/space/comfort.

To the point:
I've purchased a HH Expedition zip. Slept in it the last two nights in the backyard. I am also considering the WBBB double and the Dutchware 1.6 with The Butt in a Sling (BIAS) Buginator if needed.

The shelf on the WBBB is cool but not a deciding factor for me. I have done ton's of research here and on youtube so bear with me if my questions are routinely covered....I cannot find an answer so far.

HH Expedition: I slept very comfortably. What I quickly noticed is that I can move my body to lay either way..I'm only 5'8'' so it worked for me. In the a.m I also had an major urge to lay on my stomach. It was warm enough to stuff my sleeping bag under my stomach and I comfortably laid mostly face down for a while. These features make me like my choice so far very much.

Questions: Can one lay opposite (comfortably) of the foot bag on the WBBB or in reality is it pretty much a one way lay?
Secondly: Is the Dutchware hammock as comfortable to lie in as a HH? I really like the modularity of the system. I see myself using the 1.6/7 single layer and a The Butt in a Sling (BIAS) Buginator if needed. The reason is if I decide to get an UC I could easily reach it for adjustments. With a sewn in net like my HH, that would be harder.

To summarize I guess I'm asking two things: Can you lay in various positions in the WBBB and is the DW as comfortable as the other two? Thanks for reading my (now) long winded intro and questions. I researched the heck of this stuff and this forum is the next step for advice.

azmtnbiker
05-29-2015, 22:51
One more thing, and it seems to be a big thing to me.

I cannot sit chair style in HH. The fixed ridgeline digs into the back of my neck. Is this the case with all fixed RL hammocks. If I get a DW I'd opt for the RL but not being able to sit in it is annoying. The guy in the promotional vid made it look comfy, but there is something he wasn't telling us.

Pheonix6579
05-29-2015, 22:57
For the WBBB ... Yes you have the ability to lay multiple positions. I normally sleep on my side or stomach, and have done so in both positions in my BB XLC. However IMO you are locked in the direction you are laying. Hope that helped answer some of your questions.

MississipVol
05-29-2015, 23:01
I have a WBBB. Although it is made for "feet-to-the-right" lay, you can actually lay in it either way. Shug did a video demonstrating this.

As far as sitting in a hammock, the ridgeline definitely gets in the way but, I find if I work at it, I can get in a sweet spot with the ridgeline actually in front of me. Works great and is very comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Pheonix6579
05-29-2015, 23:07
Oh I forgot about siting in the hammock question. I have to say out of all my hammocks my BB is the most comfortable to sit on, baring the ridge line.you can sit without the side cutting into your leg under your knee.

azmtnbiker
05-29-2015, 23:53
Hey thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated and very helpful. You know what though, I just had an epiphany sitting here thinking about all this.

I'm going to stop dwelling on the minor details and just enjoy what I have and learn from it. I've already established I sleep comfortably in my HH. All the other details are just nuances that I can deal with in time and with experience. I've done so much research that my head is beginning to hurt, in fact I have my HH bagged up and ready for return thinking I would order something different. But that's just silly at this point. I'm going to go with what I got, and learn as I go. Maybe next year I get a Warbonnet or something else. Who knows? For now I think I'll get a bigger tarp than what came with my HH, convert to whoopie slings and get some longer tree huggers. Yes all of that pushes me into the WBBB price range but I think it will be worth it just for the experience.

If anyone else has any comments pertaining to my questions I'd still very much like to hear your input. For future reference if nothing else. All hobbies have a learning curve and I am definitely in the beginning of this one.

One more question. I would like to just get some Amsteel rope and use that as my attachment to the tree. Is this not acceptable anymore? It seems like webbing is the way to go for those who are environmentally responsible. But I could be wrong. I was watching a hammock review today on a survival site and they simply used Amsteel. Granted if I was bugging out from "the man" or fleeing from nuclear disaster I couldn't care less about how I attached my shelter to a tree, but I am not bugging out.. I am simply a recreational-list. All that being said I've probably answered my own question. :)

Thanks again.

MississipVol
05-30-2015, 10:03
The amsteel directly to the tree can mark it up and damage the tree. That's why people recommend at least 1" tree straps so you don't damage the tree. Some people even go wider than 1". We really don't want to give any reasons for park officials to ban the use of hammocks in their forrest areas.

MAD777
05-30-2015, 10:12
Welcome! All good answers above. I'll reiterate that you definitely should use tree straps of 1" minimum width. Then it's your option to go simply with long tree straps or a combination of shorter strap and dyneema line, such as Amsteel.

To solve the problem of ridgeline interference while sitting in the hammock, buy a ridgeline biner from Dutch www.dutchwaregear.com and rebuild a ridgeline with that biner integrated. Just unhook the biner to sit, and rehook it to lay.

azmtnbiker
05-30-2015, 19:51

To solve the problem of ridgeline interference while sitting in the hammock, buy a ridgeline biner from Dutch www.dutchwaregear.com and rebuild a ridgeline with that biner integrated. Just unhook the biner to sit, and rehook it to lay.

Awesome info! This idea never crossed my mind.

T- Minus
05-30-2015, 20:09
Awesome info! This idea never crossed my mind.
good idea, same^

SilvrSurfr
05-30-2015, 20:37
I'm 5'11" and simply can't tolerate the HH Expedition (Asym Zip). I used one for two years and thought it was great, until I tried an 11 ft. BIAS Weight Weenie Micro. The increase in comfort was amazing. The ASR isn't in my way and doesn't interfere with me in the least. I've since moved to a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock and have no issues with the ridgeline. I don't even know it's there (I still use a Dutch ridgeline biner but really don't have any reason to do so since I never disconnect the ridgeline).

There was a time when I thought that the WBBB was the way to go - I really wanted that shelf. However, I tried one out and suffered calf ridge, moreso than I ever had in my Hennessy Expedition. Luckily, I went with simple, gathered-end hammocks and was able to invest in an HG 20* Phoenix and Burrow. I am certainly glad I didn't go the way of Cadillac hammocks with features I don't really need or want.

I have the simplest, lightest system money can buy: no ridgeline organizers, peak bags, gear shelves, hammock tie-outs, removable overcovers, or UQPs. I just have a hammock, insulation, a NanoBuginator bugnet, and an HG Winter Palace tarp. I no longer deal with 1.1 oz. or lower weight hammocks because they wear out too soon (I'm hard on my gear, I guess).

oldbiker
05-30-2015, 20:57
Azmtbiker, having 18 hammocks I have came to the conclusion that there is only minor differences in them. They all have their minor differences. Bigger taller people usually like bigger, longer hammocks. Smaller people get lost in them & usually like smaller shorter ones. Different material feels different or stretch differently but all in all there's not that much difference.

There is a difference in the hang of a hammock & that to me determines the comfort of all & is learned through the process of use.

azmtnbiker
06-03-2015, 11:05
Thanks folks for all the replies.