PDA

View Full Version : shoulder strain..... looking at options..

PaPaZeus
06-01-2015, 18:01
alright so i just spent another weekend in the woods in my 11ft bb... and yet again though initally comfy i end up tossing and turning onto my different sides to compensate for shoulder strain. I also have to keep a leg bent to avoid some hyperextension.

at this point i have my 11ft bb. 10 ft double parachute, 9 foot wallworld and an 11foot dutch.

I dont have alot of time (no overnights) in the dutch but I've gotten the shoulder strain on each of the hammocks.

I have had alot of time with the bb. and spent countless hours tweaking its setup to try and achieve comfort. but always end up with the shoulder strain on my left shoulder with my feet left... Ive tried hang height adjustments, ridgeline lengths and sag tweaks. at first i thought it was my pad causing the issue so i got an underquilt... but no change, same issue.

I am thinking of trading/selling the Custom BB. in favor of trying a bridge. I dislike the fact that a bridge is heavier, but at this point ill try anything before going back to ground.

thoughts?

SilvrSurfr
06-01-2015, 18:34
So you're continually sleeping on your side regardless of hammock? I'd stop that if I were you. Tossing and turning does nothing to fix shoulder strain issues - I doubt very seriously that a bridge will help in that regard. Sounds like you need to spend some time acclimating yourself to hammocks, or go back to ground.

Briguy114
06-01-2015, 18:53
Stop trying to sleep on your side in a hammock. In a bed I'm a side sleeper, stomach sleeper, basically any position but my back, but when I'm in my hammock I'm on my back and I sleep well. It takes a couple of nights to get used to sleeping on your back, but once you are able to fall asleep you will sleep like a rock. I don't sleep very long in my hammock but it sure is restful sleep

PaPaZeus
06-01-2015, 19:45
By different sides I mean left /right and back. I'd try stomach if it was possible.

I always start on my back and that is what aggravates the the shoulder strain. Always on the left shoulder In my standard feet left lay.. So no I am not trying to sleep on my side... I move to my sides to alleviate the strain from sleeping on my back.

On the hammocks other than the bb I've also tried feet right. And it moves the shoulder strain to the right shoulder.

Bubba
06-01-2015, 21:15
Sounds like a bridge hammock is worth a try.