PDA

View Full Version : Gear Hammock Idea

Poseidon
06-01-2015, 21:39
I sought out Randy from Dream Hammock and pitched my idea for a different kind of Gear Hammock. I was going to keep it between us but I think that's against the nature of what we're all trying to do here and it seems to be a pretty solid and trustworthy community so I thought I'd share one of my first prototypes with you guys and hear some feedback (sorry, I'm not the greatest artist):

http://i.imgur.com/TKQgp87.jpg

mountainhanger
06-01-2015, 21:48
Now that's some serious thinking. I like it

latriper
06-01-2015, 21:50
That is a sweet idea!!

Zilla
06-01-2015, 21:54
So, is this a possable addition to the dream hammock site ? what did Randy think?

Bubba
06-01-2015, 22:04
Looks pretty cool. Maybe some mesh pockets on the outside in addition/instead of the gear loops. I find the mesh pocket on the outside of my work bag really handy as a catch all. Just a thought.

Eidson
06-01-2015, 22:06
I really appreciate you sharing the idea. I've been longing for some really fresh/unique projects to surface.
don't knock your artistic ability, the preliminary sketch looks great. Makes me immediately want one.

Here are some general thoughts and comments. I love the idea of horizontal or vertical use in it. However wouldn't horizontal use, much like your standard gear hammock, eliminate much of the usefulness of the interior pockets, especially those near the top? I guess you could use velcro to seal these, but these small components would quickly add up in weight. I'm no gram counter by any means, but I try to pack light by feel and worry that the weight of this could add up quickly, velcro, the reinforcing necessary to maintain structure, etc.. If you had ideas to keep weight in check, that's wonderful.

So let me ask this way, if you could, explain to me what would you pack in this and each of the areas. I'm mentally trying to visualize what I'd be using in this.

As I said, just looking at your sketch, I want one...I just don't know how'd I'd use it :lol: Again, glad to see a new idea shared with us. Love the innovation.

BigGreenMoose
06-01-2015, 22:08
I like bubba's idea of mesh pockets... Useful for letting stuff dry overnight. Maybe pockets on the opposite side?

Poseidon
06-01-2015, 22:16
Thanks for the kind comments, brothers.

To answer some questions:

Zilla: I don't know if he'll make it an actual product on his site, but I'm hopeful that it will be successful and he will. He's not working on this specific model, but something simpler as he's really busy with 9 Weeks of Hammocks to make on order. He seems to really like the idea and told me he'll work on it. I doubt it's his main focus with the back of orders right now, but I trust him to do a good job; he produces quality work.

Bubba: Perfectly valid suggestion-- I'm sure the weight would be similar to the loops so it wouldn't make too much of a difference to change one out for another.

Edison: No problem! Your name is a little ironic, though, haha. I imagine that in horizontal use, the little pockets aren't utilized but the mesh separator and gear loops still are. Kind of like a gym bag.

As for what you would put in it? That's up to you. I personally would put some snacks and a phone in the pockets. A kindle on the mesh cover with maybe a pair of gloves and a beanie. In the bottom, maybe some warming layers (in case it gets colder) or shoes so I don't have to leave them out overnight for things to crawl into. In the loops, maybe I would throw on my solar charger w/ carabiner, or a glowstick through for visibility. Or maybe I'd hang one of those mini speakers and listen to music. It's really meant to be versatile and adaptable. You can customize it when ordering just like anything else. Add a gun pocket, or remove the mesh, etc.

MAD777
06-02-2015, 05:19
This reminded me of my old school locker with the addition of a light bulb at the top like my refrigerator. I think it's a genious idea! 👍👍👍

Foxpoop
06-02-2015, 06:25
No need to limit yourself to vertical or horizontal, either. I use my silnylon zippered gear hammock from Simply Light Designs on a 45* angle coming off my head-end suspension and then stake the other end down. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/02/8123da4ae6b061abee366ad24a72a7be.jpg
I like the idea of mesh, too. Cool stuff you got percolating.

Poseidon
06-02-2015, 09:42
No need to limit yourself to vertical or horizontal, either. I use my silnylon zippered gear hammock from Simply Light Designs on a 45* angle coming off my head-end suspension and then stake the other end down. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/02/8123da4ae6b061abee366ad24a72a7be.jpg
I like the idea of mesh, too. Cool stuff you got percolating.

Very true; you could really just be as innovative as you choose to be in how you use it.

dkurfiss
06-02-2015, 09:56
I like it a lot. I hope Randy picks it up and runs with it.

MoonBear
06-02-2015, 13:12
I like it.

Suggestions.
Velcro on the inside to position the pockets.
Hexagon or diamond shape
Zipper on two sides
Led light with option solar

cjayflo
06-02-2015, 13:27
The first thing that popped into my head was AARN balance pockets. Maybe because I'm trying to talk myself into buying a new pack. Any way. I like this idea. I would like to see lashing points on it in case I wanted to keep everything in it and lash it to my pack for the day's hike. Maybe even do a waterproof version? Once again I think I have AARN on the brain.

Paul-Stefi
06-02-2015, 14:00
This could have a use even outside of hammocks, such as tent camping, climbing, boats, maybe even motorcycles. Randy makes awesome products. I have been thinking of scetching something for him to make for my dogs to sleep under my hammock. Light weight, flat bottom, waterproof top, breathable mesh somewhere ect.

Burg54
06-02-2015, 14:32
Pretty cool. Nice work.

dbass
06-02-2015, 15:51
Sweet idea. I'd love to see a prototype, especially on how it would attach to your pack as a pack cover -- my small brain is having a hard time envisioning how it would attach (pack hammock=diamond shape, pack=square).

dudeman_atl
06-02-2015, 16:54
love the concept. I imagined it decorated as a huge watermellon or football.

Seems like a box would be easier to make and would be simpler to fit as a pack cover, though.

Poseidon
06-02-2015, 21:59
dbass and dudeman: I would have to show you in person how it worked. The material would stretch like anything and wouldn't be an exacting cover.

BigGreenMoose
06-03-2015, 14:27
Poseidon, your post has given me an itch that I didn't realize needed scratching. Now I've whipped out my notebook and started sketching up something of a cross between your pod and foxpoop's gear hammock. Thanks for sparking some creativity!

I'm gonna rig up in the back yard on Friday afternoon and play with some ideas I have. I might just nod off in the sunshine if the call of the hammock overtakes my ambition. :cool:

Scotty Von Porkchop
06-03-2015, 16:27
Cool idea!

I wonder if a Frisbee or a titanium plate placed on the mesh pocket would make a hammock shelf? I may have to have a tinker...

Ridge_Dog
06-03-2015, 16:38
Very Nice. How much would you guesstimate it will weigh?

Poseidon
06-03-2015, 17:17
Scotty: that would make it a firmer shelf, but a more unstable one for objects. As a mesh shelf, it would keep things in place. If you put a flat surface on top of that, you only add weight and provide a surface for things to slip off of.

Ridge_Dog: Thanks! I'm not really sure. Maybe 5-9oz depending on what features you went with.

Poseidon
06-03-2015, 17:18
Poseidon, your post has given me an itch that I didn't realize needed scratching. Now I've whipped out my notebook and started sketching up something of a cross between your pod and foxpoop's gear hammock. Thanks for sparking some creativity!

I'm gonna rig up in the back yard on Friday afternoon and play with some ideas I have. I might just nod off in the sunshine if the call of the hammock overtakes my ambition. :cool:

Glad to hear it! That's why I shared it to begin with. Let me know what you come up with.

hookten
06-04-2015, 08:21
I sought out Randy from Dream Hammock and pitched my idea for a different kind of Gear Hammock. I was going to keep it between us but I think that's against the nature of what we're all trying to do here and it seems to be a pretty solid and trustworthy community so I thought I'd share one of my first prototypes with you guys and hear some feedback (sorry, I'm not the greatest artist):

http://i.imgur.com/TKQgp87.jpg

these are great drawings, would love to see more ideas. i have aritist friends who do movie sets and he thinks it's a cool idea.

NebHanger
06-04-2015, 09:30
Great idea!

Poseidon
06-04-2015, 10:17
Hookten: When I get back after this weekend, I'll share some more.

Thank guys!

krshome
06-04-2015, 12:30
If you used a white nylon it could act as a globe for the light making it a lantern. Also i don't think it needs weather resistant fabric inside your hammock. Fun diy project

Poseidon
06-04-2015, 13:03
If you used a white nylon it could act as a globe for the light making it a lantern. Also i don't think it needs weather resistant fabric inside your hammock. Fun diy project

That's an interesting thought. It would also reflect light keeping the contents inside cooler. I'm sure there will be options for the fabric as there are for hammocks and other hammock gear.

tonydc
06-05-2015, 06:23
Love the idea too!

ylnfrt
06-06-2015, 19:17
Now that is a great idea but I think more for car campers though, as I have 3 women and 2 grand-daughters and they would use this as a portable bathroom/ makeup caddy and I would never see it again. Actually no worries as CR was established when published- here. But others are not always trustworthy- just look at existing products that are being copied and sold back to us. Good luck on your idea, and I hope it comes to reality.

phil823
06-12-2015, 04:53
so i got to thinking about weight...keeping form and the mesh on the side to use a "rack"

what if you found some thick long lite plastic strips that want to resist bending and straighten out but with not to much pressure, and sew them into a channel around the middle inside of the gear sack...that would in essence keep the whole inside inflated outwards.

also thinking about a mesh inside level. what if you use something like fish net webbing...so its easier for things to dry. and allows a nice shelf.

Poseidon
06-12-2015, 10:20
so i got to thinking about weight...keeping form and the mesh on the side to use a "rack"

what if you found some thick long lite plastic strips that want to resist bending and straighten out but with not to much pressure, and sew them into a channel around the middle inside of the gear sack...that would in essence keep the whole inside inflated outwards.

also thinking about a mesh inside level. what if you use something like fish net webbing...so its easier for things to dry. and allows a nice shelf.

Those are both great ideas. The first I've already accounted for if you look closely at my picture. The second is an improvement, though, because while I wanted to use an open mesh to dry things, I hadn't thought of fishing line specifically.

Good thinking!

Gadgetgeek
06-12-2015, 19:46
I don't think it would need to be pack cover sized, just big enough for shoes, and other stuff you want easy to find. Could you design it in such a way that it acted more like a pack lid? so the bottom section was bellowed to give you that storage space when hanging, the "shelf" became a compression zone when in lid mode, and the top was able to self-compress to keep tidy, but organized? it stands to my logic that quite a lot of the things you might want in an organizer would also be at home in the lid of your pack. The top half could be weather proof, where the bottom would not need to be.

Poseidon
06-12-2015, 19:59
I don't think it would need to be pack cover sized, just big enough for shoes, and other stuff you want easy to find. Could you design it in such a way that it acted more like a pack lid? so the bottom section was bellowed to give you that storage space when hanging, the "shelf" became a compression zone when in lid mode, and the top was able to self-compress to keep tidy, but organized? it stands to my logic that quite a lot of the things you might want in an organizer would also be at home in the lid of your pack. The top half could be weather proof, where the bottom would not need to be.

All great points!

rustyshack11
06-15-2015, 15:07
That's pretty cool.

Poseidon
06-15-2015, 15:44
That's pretty cool.

Thanks!