PDA

View Full Version : Getting in and out of an HH with back problems

G.L.P.
10-03-2009, 19:57
Hey whats up everyone
just wanted to see if anyone else has trouble getting in and out of there HH that have back problems...

I was just playing around with my HH tonight, messing around with some pads i made and i'v been having a hard time getting out of my HH i have a few back problems

I'm thinking of going to a top load hammock maybe the WBBB or the traveler
or even a DIY hammock

thanks

bear bag hanger
10-03-2009, 20:35
Don't know if my back problems are similar or not, but I've found it a lot easier using a Mosquito Hammock than a HH. I think the real problem is how low the entrance to the HH is compared to the Mosquito. Maybe if you tried hanging the HH higher than your use to?

G.L.P.
10-03-2009, 20:44
thats what i tried tonight and still hard on the back getting out
i think it may be time to sell the HH and get a hammock i can get in from the top

Hawk-eye
10-03-2009, 20:46
Well of you definitely want a top loader and already have the HH ... get 2Q and ZQ's zipper mod. Simple and easy ... professionally done. You then have the best of both worlds. That's what I have ... and a couple ENO's but I still love my modified HH.

Oh and for what you get and how well it's done ... it's cheap!!!

G.L.P.
10-03-2009, 20:57
Thats a great idea....Hmmm
How much did it cost to have done and who does it...i'm OK with a sewing machine but i think that is alittle too much for me to take on

G.L.P.
10-03-2009, 21:04
Duh...found the link for it hehehe i think this may be what i need heck of alot cheaper than a new hammock and still get to use my HH
thanks Hawk-eye

Rug
10-03-2009, 21:16
I have back problems and a HH. This is what I do.

Hang the hammock HIGH. So that after stretch/sag and loaded it is as high as the bottom of my bum. (think kitchen-counter height) This is helpful because a low-slung hammock (knees at ear-height while exiting) was too hard to stand-up, but the high-height eliminated the get-in/get-out pains.

If unable to do a sit-up to exit the hammock do this:

You should be able to grab the edges of the entry-slit with your hands (after your legs have pushed through the velcro and are sticking outside the hammock.) Pull on the edges of the slit (evenly) to pull yourself up and out of the hammock.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps.

Ramblinrev
10-03-2009, 21:17
I'm not disputing your experience. But I am having trouble understanding the difficulty you have with the HH. I have mobility issues some of which affect my back and I can not get out of a top loader without assist ropes. The HH has really made it possible for me to stay on the trail.

My home sleeper is a top loader and I can fit up my assist rope. But outside I'd be lost without the bottom entry. I don;t know if you have tried a top loader. If you have and like it better then fine and dandy. But for me that switch would be a step away from trail. The zip mod would make a lot of sense and I would recommend it from what I've heard.

Hawk-eye
10-03-2009, 21:24
Duh...found the link for it hehehe i think this may be what i need heck of alot cheaper than a new hammock and still get to use my HH
thanks Hawk-eye

Hey more than happy if it'll help. You'll like them ... they're great folks AND in Pa too!. Wait till you see the work ... looks like it come from the factory that way. The zipper quality is top of the heap.

Most people get the one with both sides. I elected to get it one side and on the same side as my sleeping bag zips open. Just something to think about.

Michael

G.L.P.
10-03-2009, 22:03
Thanks again Hawk-eye yah i just sent them an e-mail to see what the wait is for the Mod#3 yeah...there only an hour drive from my house

Rev i have tried top loaders i had a few top loaders...sold them awhile back after i got my HH and like them both...my problem is when getting out i need to bend to clean the bugnet it's the bending that gets me

I feel that this Mod will give me the best of all worlds

Hawk-eye
10-03-2009, 22:08
Just in case you didn't find it ... the pricing is on their web page

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html

GrizzlyAdams
10-03-2009, 22:19
Thanks again Hawk-eye yah i just sent them an e-mail to see what the wait is for the Mod#3 yeah...there only an hour drive from my house

Rev i have tried top loaders i had a few top loaders...sold them awhile back after i got my HH and like them both...my problem is when getting out i need to bend to clean the bugnet it's the bending that gets me

I feel that this Mod will give me the best of all worlds

Greenlespaul, it might, but then again...

I had mod #2 made. Great job, turns my HH into a new hammock. BUT what I was surprised at is that getting in from the top (and the zipper undone on one side only) the "roof" of the hammock comes down and I have to twist a bit to get inside. When I'm in and have pulled the zipper closed and the weight is distributed more evenly, it's all fine.

Now this isn't a problem for me but it sounds like it may be one for you. Could be I'm doing something funny, I dunno. Might be worth your while to arrange to pop over to 2Q's place and try his out and see. He's a great guy, I'm sure it would only be a matter of synchronizing schedules (and you driving 2 hours :scared:)

Grizz

Hawk-eye
10-03-2009, 22:49
..... BUT what I was surprised at is that getting in from the top (and the zipper undone on one side only) the "roof" of the hammock comes down and I have to twist a bit to get inside. When I'm in and have pulled the zipper closed and the weight is distributed more evenly, it's all fine.

That's something you ought to video! Not sure how you do that ... I've not had that problem at all ... but then I'm not quite right! ;) I might be doing something right by accident!

G.L.P.
10-04-2009, 10:43
GrizzlyAdams thanks for the info on your mod#2 i was looking at all mods he has...I think the mod#3 will work for what i need it...if i had to turn or twist alittle to get in or out that wouldn't be bad...my thing is when getting out at the bottom my head is at my knees and thats what kills my back

Just alittle info about my back...I hurt my back at work back in July
after an MRI i found out that i have 3 Herniated discs that ruptured
so i get alot of pain in my lower back and right leg when i bend or lift too much, no matter what it will hurt...i'm just looking to make life alittle easy
for my back

Hawk-eye thats for the 411 on there website...e-mailed 2Q last night and got the info i need...my HH is going out in the mail Tues :)

Rug
10-04-2009, 13:54
..my thing is when getting out at the bottom my head is at my knees and thats what kills my back

Review my post.

Ramblinrev
10-04-2009, 14:49
.my thing is when getting out at the bottom my head is at my knees and thats what kills my back

Check out my disability vid. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/video.php?do=viewdetails&videoid=70) Don't get me wrong... I think the mod is a great idea. But I can get out of the hammock without bending hardly at all.

2Questions
10-04-2009, 16:02
Greenlespaul, it might, but then again...

I had mod #2 made. Great job, turns my HH into a new hammock. BUT what I was surprised at is that getting in from the top (and the zipper undone on one side only) the "roof" of the hammock comes down and I have to twist a bit to get inside. When I'm in and have pulled the zipper closed and the weight is distributed more evenly, it's all fine.

Now this isn't a problem for me but it sounds like it may be one for you. Could be I'm doing something funny, I dunno. Might be worth your while to arrange to pop over to 2Q's place and try his out and see. He's a great guy, I'm sure it would only be a matter of synchronizing schedules (and you driving 2 hours :scared:)

Grizz

That is true about the roof dropping a bit, especially if you don't hang it tight to begin with. I usually enter with only the one long side unzipped, and that only 8" or so past the tie out point. After a while, you don't think about it anymore and you just do it.

A good trick is to tie a loop of guyline on the zipper pull about 8-10" long. I can use my toe to zip it up ...or at least until I can reach it without bending, and also toe it to unzip it.

The other thing I've noticed is I tend to hang it so that when sitting in the hammock, my knees can hang over the hammock without over stressing the zipper area and I can still slip my crocs on. If I need to hang any higher than that I am cautious about what I'm doing or use the entry slit.

G.L.P.
10-04-2009, 18:31
Rev thanks for the great video...but i think i'm still going to get the mod done to my HH i look at it this way...if anything it will help out with winter camping and maybe cooking while in my hammock :D

Rook
10-19-2009, 10:05
Got my HH back from ZQ. Love the new zippers. Great addition to a great hammock.

Well of you definitely want a top loader and already have the HH ... get 2Q and ZQ's zipper mod. Simple and easy ... professionally done. You then have the best of both worlds. That's what I have ... and a couple ENO's but I still love my modified HH.

Oh and for what you get and how well it's done ... it's cheap!!!

UncleMJM
10-19-2009, 10:09
Got my HH back from ZQ. Love the new zippers. Great addition to a great hammock.

Ditto.

As previously mentioned, it's like a brand new hammock with the top entry option.

I love my HH with the zipper mod and just wish I had done it sooner.

patriothomer
11-29-2009, 19:49
I recently bought a HH with the #2 Mod and wanted to know if there are any tricks or tips to top entry. With the long zipper side, it seems like the side guyline either gets in the way or has to be unattached in order to get into the hammock. This seems to limit the amount of useable room in the setup.

Also, any guides for how high to hang the tree huggers in order to stay off the ground but not need a stepstool to get in from the top?

BillyBob58
11-29-2009, 23:22
I recently bought a HH with the #2 Mod and wanted to know if there are any tricks or tips to top entry. With the long zipper side, it seems like the side guyline either gets in the way or has to be unattached in order to get into the hammock. This seems to limit the amount of useable room in the setup.

Also, any guides for how high to hang the tree huggers in order to stay off the ground but not need a stepstool to get in from the top?

Hang the huggers plenty high, but don't pull the hammock so tight that the RL is also above your head. Generally, the tighter a hammock ridge line is pulled, the more it will sag when you get in. Or it seems that way. The more downward angle on your tree rope/straps, it seems the less sag you get.

As for top entry, just grab both edges for safety, and sit straight down. Can you either come in to the side of your pull outs, or straddle the side pull outs? On mine- I have cut the net- I just sit down on the head end side of the right foot pull out, for one approach.