PDA

View Full Version : My DIY top quilt - first sewing project

jofish
10-05-2009, 01:13
Warning, this is a long post.

Ok, I admit it. This isn't technically my first sewing project. A few years ago I was a pirate for Halloween and I sewed some swashbuckling pants out of an old riding lawnmower cover (see the first picture for full effect!). However, that was a manual sewing project.

So this is my first machine-assisted sewing project. So of course I decided to go for broke and skip those easy intro projects like stuff sacks and the like. Instead I decided that I wanted to make a nice & toasty top quilt for 3 season use (fall, winter, spring). My project is mostly based on te-wa's quilt in the DIY gear section. So lets start with the materials I used:

My starting materials:

From Thru-Hiker:
3 yards red Momentum90
3 yards black Momentum90
1 yard noseeum netting
1 yard 1/4" flat cord (for drawstring)
2 mini cord locks

From Speer Hammocks:
15.5* oz 900 fill down (five 3.1 oz bags)
Thread

*note that most, but not all of this actually made it into the quilt.

As you can guess, this was not a cheap quilt. It cost me about $280 for all the materials (including shipping). I do have about 2 feet (at 60" wide) of each color of the Momentum left. And the leftover thread will last me for many, many years to come. But still... pricey.

Design:

This is the real advantage of DIY gear, I'm beginning to learn. I could design it to fit me (5'11", 210lbs, kinda stocky). I designed my quilt to be tapered; 50" wide at the head end, 42" wide at the foot end (I have size 12ish feet). The quilt is 78" long. I designed it to have 11 boxed (right term?) baffle chambers. They run side-to-side (across the body). Ten of the baffles are 7" long and the top (head end) baffle is 8" long. The baffle boxes are all 3" to allow for some nice loft. I would say that the final loft is approximately 3.75".

I cut the Momentum to have 2 inches of extra material on each side. I did this so that I could add 3/4" channels running the length of each side (you can see this in one of my pictures). Right now I only have a draw cord in the foot end to keep the feet nice & warm (you can see it cinched up in one of the pictures), but I could add one to the head end if I feel I need to snug things up when it gets real cold. I added the channels down the length of the quilt in case I ever want to try it out as an under quilt. It isn't really designed for that, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try!

I'm also contemplating adding some velcro or a snap to the foot end along the sides so that I can close it up a little. Similar to te-wa's quilt in the DIY section.

Remarks

This project took more time than I thought it would. It took the whole weekend - Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon - to make. That obviously doesn't include the design time or time to order and receive the materials (which I got nice and quickly).

I'll have to echo a few sentiments of a number of others who have posted about these DIY quilt projects.
1) Sewing the noseeum netting to the Momentum material was a bit of a pain. The noseeum netting liked to stretch as it was being sewn.
2) Working with down is a real PITA. I don't have one of those long vacuum cleaner extensions, so I had to go with the plastic bag transfer method. And since I don't have a good scale to weigh increments of less than an ounce, there was a bit of guesstimating in this project. The real hassle, though, was the fly-aways. Its just impossible to prevent them. Or to prevent them from sticking all over you and not letting go.
3) A few thoughts on the Momentum. This stuff is nice! It has a real nice feel to it. It wasn't that hard to work with it. Following a suggestion I read here on HF, I used my wood burning tool to cut the material and prevent if from fraying in the future. I noticed that down did tend to stick to Momentum - that stuff definitely can build up some static charge.

Impressions
Well, I haven't tested it out yet. Thats what the Northern Hang next weekend is for! :D I'll update this thread once I've tried it out.
It isn't perfect (I messed up on a few stitches). And it really doesn't have the quality look that a bought quilt would have. But I think its pretty good (if not expensive!) for a first attempt. Its light for the amount of hypothetical warmth it should provide. According to my scale it comes in at just under a pound and a half (<=24 oz, with more than half the weight coming from the down). And, with warm clothing, a winter tarp, and a good UQ it should get me down to pretty much the coldest temperatures that I'll need. Which is saying something, considering the chilly Wisconsin winters.

So overall I'd have to say I'm pleased with the quilt. Making the quilt was definitely a good learning experience and now I have a nice piece of gear that will hopefully last me for years to come.

HitchHiking
10-05-2009, 01:21
Nice looking quilt there. You should be proud. The pirate pants are sweet too. Wear em much ?

jofish
10-05-2009, 01:31
Nice looking quilt there. You should be proud. The pirate pants are sweet too. Wear em much ?

Yeah, I am pretty proud of the quilt. Hopefully, after a little use, I'll be even prouder!

I actually did wear those pants again. Last year for Halloween I was Tom Hanks' character from Castaway and I used them from my tattered pants. This is the best picture I had of them...

LostCause
10-05-2009, 01:45
Nice work!!! The pirate picture is awesome! :D

te-wa
10-05-2009, 08:18
glad i could be of some help.
man, i really need to go back and revise some of those directions.
like measuring the mesh - a 8' section of baseboard and a cutting wheel works better.

also, if you buy 2 yards of mesh you can cut it on the long side, which in turn is 90° from the stretchy side.. this way the mesh wont stretch. (youll notice when you tug on mesh it only stretches 2 ways, not 4 :)

no velcro on the footbox? IMHO that's gonna let in some drafts..

jofish
10-05-2009, 09:10
te-wa, your instructions were invaluable. Thanks so much for posting them, it really made this a much easier project with better results. Really, I should have thanked you in my original post. But I was both tired and excited to post the pictures so it slipped my mind. I'd also like to thank the many other members that answered the many questions I asked; Grizz, Ramblinrev, TeeDee, warbonnetguy, Shug, and a few others that I probably missed. Thanks so much guys!

Te-wa, good tip on preventing the mesh from stretching. Next time I make another one of these I'll make sure to remember that. It'll probably be a while, but good to know. I went to Home Depot and bought a 60" metal ruler that I used for cutting both the mesh and the Momentum. Scissors for the mesh, wood burning tool for the Momentum.

As for the velcro, I mentioned above that I'm considering adding either a stretch of velcro or a couple snaps to each side of the quilt down by the foot end to make it enclosed (thereby reducing drafts). I haven't made up my mind yet on which way I want to go.

Shug
10-05-2009, 10:20
te-wa, your instructions were invaluable. Thanks so much for posting them, it really made this a much easier project with better results. Really, I should have thanked you in my original post. But I was both tired and excited to post the pictures so it slipped my mind. I'd also like to thank the many other members that answered the many questions I asked; Grizz, Ramblinrev, TeeDee, warbonnetguy, Shug, and a few others that I probably missed. Thanks so much guys!

Te-wa, good tip on preventing the mesh from stretching. Next time I make another one of these I'll make sure to remember that. It'll probably be a while, but good to know. I went to Home Depot and bought a 60" metal ruler that I used for cutting both the mesh and the Momentum. Scissors for the mesh, wood burning tool for the Momentum.

As for the velcro, I mentioned above that I'm considering adding either a stretch of velcro or a couple snaps to each side of the quilt down by the foot end to make it enclosed (thereby reducing drafts). I haven't made up my mind yet on which way I want to go.
Wow .... looks terrific. Snaps for the footbox work pretty well but why not just ..... for this trip as a test .... hand sew the footbox in and really secure at at the top of the stitches. That way you can play with how much of a footbox you want, do you need a flat quilt, and stuff like that.
I do not like velcro on a footbox .... always grabs my socks but it is not awful. My TQ from Warbonnetguy has snaps and so far so good.
Fun having something that you made with your own hands, ain't it?

gargoyle
10-05-2009, 10:29

Best feeling is the satisfaction I get from my homemade ingenuity.:) Nice looking quilt, should serve you well.

animalcontrol
10-05-2009, 10:50
that size quilt with 15oz of down should keep you warm this weekend...I'm gonna check it out!

pgibson
10-05-2009, 11:01
looks very sharp. That much down should definitely make for a toasty quilt.

jofish
10-05-2009, 11:46
Yeah, I'm pretty pumped to give this bad boy a try. I'd rather not sew up the foot end. I really like the idea of versatility and sewing it up would put a damper on that. I have some velcro that I might sew on, but I'm still considering using snaps.

Has anyone used snaps when making a quilt? Obviously Warbonnetguy has. How well do they work? What are the advantages/disadvantages when compared to velcro?

SmokeHouse
10-05-2009, 12:48
sweet looking quilt... you should be proud of it...

animalcontrol
10-05-2009, 13:10
Has anyone used snaps when making a quilt? Obviously Warbonnetguy has. How well do they work? What are the advantages/disadvantages when compared to velcro?
I've snaps on all my DIY quilts...they are bigger than the Warbonnet ones and are the compression type
Bought them at Joann's (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2851&PRODID=prd11252)
They have never failed or came undone. They don't scratch at your legs or hook your socks...
Highly recommended

Ramblinrev
10-05-2009, 13:12
Since I tend to thrash in my sleep I prefer a solid sewn foot box. Just a vote for another option and why.

jofish
10-13-2009, 17:37
Well, its been tested and performed admirably!

I took this top quilt for three nights at the recent Northern Hang in Minnesota. The temps got down into the mid-to-low 20's each night. And it was pretty windy too. I was only chilly the first night, and I attribute that to the fact that the 3-season Yeti doesn't cut it in temps that low. At least not for me. I had multiple cold spots under me, especially where my yeti and pad met.

Once I boosted my bottom insulation (with some impromptu lashing I added my Speer TopBlanket as an extra UQ under my legs), my new top quilt kept me plenty warm. In fact, on the last night I went to bed with slightly cold feet and woke up with nice & warm feet. Now THAT was impressive. I still don't really know how low I could go with this top quilt, but I think with a decent, full-length winter underquilt I could get down to the single digits. Maybe even lower! I'll keep ya posted.

TOB9595
10-13-2009, 18:41
Congratulations on making such a functional and nice looking piece

Tom

Shug
10-13-2009, 21:59
Well, its been tested and performed admirably!

I took this top quilt for three nights at the recent Northern Hang in Minnesota. The temps got down into the mid-to-low 20's each night. And it was pretty windy too. I was only chilly the first night, and I attribute that to the fact that the 3-season Yeti doesn't cut it in temps that low. At least not for me. I had multiple cold spots under me, especially where my yeti and pad met.

Once I boosted my bottom insulation (with some impromptu lashing I added my Speer TopBlanket as an extra UQ under my legs), my new top quilt kept me plenty warm. In fact, on the last night I went to bed with slightly cold feet and woke up with nice & warm feet. Now THAT was impressive. I still don't really know how low I could go with this top quilt, but I think with a decent, full-length winter underquilt I could get down to the single digits. Maybe even lower! I'll keep ya posted.
That is the way to figure this stuff out, Huh Jofish?
My DIY UQ is only good on it's own to around 30º - 25º but the winter yeti that I used on this trip kept me ever so warm.
It was fun and terrific to hang with you. Wish I could have met your TQ......

JerryW
10-13-2009, 22:07
Darn it! I wish I would have remembered you posted this during the Hang. I'd have liked to see it in person. Next time...

There is too much info on this website! I have brain overload and can no longer keep it all straight!

Jerry

jofish
10-13-2009, 22:18
Well, depending on my schedule I'd like to go on a hang this winter so maybe some of you guys could check it out then. I like your idea, Shug, to spend one day of a hang just checking out all the cool gear everyone has. You can never spend too much time checking out gear!

And by the time you guys will see my quilt I'll have put the snaps that I just bought on it. I didn't have too many drafts in the foot area while hanging. I really only had drafts in the morning when I was moving around a bit. But I think 4-6 snaps should cover that. I'll have to learn Shug's way of cookin' breakfast from the hammock. Sounds nice & cozy.

tight-wad
10-13-2009, 22:55
I do not like velcro on a footbox .... always grabs my socks but it is not awful.

Great looking quilt! And Amen! to making it yourself.

re: velcro, use the all-in-one kind. You know, the kind that has both the hooks and loops on a single piece. It doesn't grab everything else nearly as bad as the traditional velcro with hooks on one piece, loops on the other.

Shug
10-13-2009, 23:07
Well, depending on my schedule I'd like to go on a hang this winter so maybe some of you guys could check it out then. I like your idea, Shug, to spend one day of a hang just checking out all the cool gear everyone has. You can never spend too much time checking out gear!

And by the time you guys will see my quilt I'll have put the snaps that I just bought on it. I didn't have too many drafts in the foot area while hanging. I really only had drafts in the morning when I was moving around a bit. But I think 4-6 snaps should cover that. I'll have to learn Shug's way of cookin' breakfast from the hammock. Sounds nice & cozy.
Breakfast from the hammock .... one of life's finer moments!!!!!

lenle01
10-13-2009, 23:59
Jofish- Looks great! Much better than my first quilt! Sounds like it's really warm too.

Perkolady
10-14-2009, 15:04
Man, that's a great looking quilt!! Congratulations on making it yourself!! :thumbup:

sir_n0thing
10-17-2009, 13:28
Darn it! I wish I would have remembered you posted this during the Hang. I'd have liked to see it in person. Next time...

There is too much info on this website! I have brain overload and can no longer keep it all straight!

Jerry

I can relate to those thoughts, Jerry! I too wanted to check out your quilt at the Hang, Jofish. I was in a bit of a daze at the hang, seeing all that lust-worthy gear all over the place. I didn't get to actually check out half the stuff I wanted to.

We should try a hang in Southern-ish WI this winter. Seems like most of the WI people are from SE WI or thereabouts, and there are some other people just south of the border who may like to come up...

stormcrow
10-17-2009, 13:57
We should try a hang in Southern-ish WI this winter. Seems like most of the WI people are from SE WI or thereabouts, and there are some other people just south of the border who may like to come up...

I second the suggestion for closer...:scared:

sc

JerryW
10-17-2009, 14:18
We should try a hang in Southern-ish WI this winter.

I second the suggestion for closer

Hey guys, I'm all for that. I'm only about 2-1/2 hours from southern Wisconsin.

Jerry

clearskyblue
10-17-2009, 15:54
Its great lookin at other folks handywork very nice quilt and well done/Im half way thru making a top quilt me self so expect to see it surface in oooh 6 months or so.:laugh:

jofish
10-17-2009, 17:10
Well I was thinking of checking out Buckhorn State Park some time this winter. Maybe we should set up a hang for some time in December or January. Might people be interested?

Shug
10-17-2009, 20:23
Hey, hey, hey ....Shug does not mind a long drive!
Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnSawyer
10-20-2009, 22:36
Hey guys, I'm all for that. I'm only about 2-1/2 hours from southern Wisconsin.

Jerry

Hey, why not a so-cal hang? It was in the 90's here last Saturday... :rolleyes:

animalcontrol
10-21-2009, 06:35
Hey, why not a so-cal hang? It was in the 90's here last Saturday... :rolleyes:

That is WAAAAAYYYY to warm for my new TQ!
Believe it or not, some people actually LIKE winter!! (shhhhh....don't tell anyone) :D;):cool: