PDA

View Full Version : Another Pad Question ?

Tacky Hiker
10-05-2009, 22:11
I need help choosing a pad. I am new to the hanging world. I have narrowed it down to 3, but if you have another suggestion let me know.

-Oware's Pad (38" X 60" X 3/16", 6oz) $28
-Minicel Foam (48x72x3/8",?) $32.99
-Speer SleepPad (40x80x1/4, 16oz) $36

Anyone know how much the Minicel weighs? If I go with the Minicel or Speer, I would trim down to about 36"x70. Save a little weight.

I have a Therm-A-Rest Prolite4 3/4 length pad, but I know these are not ideal for hammocks. My sleeping bag is a Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15 degree Down.

I am in Alabama so the temps do not get crazy low. I need a pad good for the 30s at the lowest. I also sleep in thermal base layers. :)

Thanks in advance !

angrysparrow
10-05-2009, 22:19
I am in Alabama so the temps do not get crazy low. I need a pad good for the 30s at the lowest.

I wouldn't say that. I clearly recall camping on Duggar Mtn in AL last year at 15ºF with ~30mph winds. Also, many nights much colder than 30ºF in Bankhead NF.

You might not camp in those temps, though. ;)

For what you're describing that you want, I would go with the Speer pad. If you want to 'boost' the temp, you can always take the section that you cut off to 'double up' beneath you.

Tacky Hiker
10-05-2009, 22:29
True, but for the pad I want for it to be comfortable in the 30s. If I know it will be colder I will pack accordingly.

My first Sipsey trip I woke up Sunday in 3"+ of snow. I was awesome.

angrysparrow
10-05-2009, 22:35
My first Sipsey trip I woke up Sunday in 3"+ of snow. I was awesome.

Was that the snow from Feb/March of this year? If so, there was a HF hangout going on the same weekend. There were 9 or 10 members of this forum there at the same time.

Tacky Hiker
10-05-2009, 22:39
Yeah, I saw the hangout. We actually took a pic of all the hammocks covered in snow.:eek: We stayed about 100 yards down from you. That was a fun trip.

The pic we took of the hangout.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/9civichatch3/Hammocks.jpg

Me in the Snow.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/9civichatch3/MeinSnow2.jpg

Tacky Hiker
10-05-2009, 23:09
Which ever pad I get, I am going to wrap and sew up with a neat sheet.

angrysparrow
10-05-2009, 23:15
In my first response I pointed you toward the Speer pad, of your listed choices. An alternative, and very similar option, is a Gossamer Gear Thinlight (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/order.html) in 'Wide'. It would be very similar in warmth to the Speer.

Both the Speer and the GG are 1/4" pads, and should get you comfortably to the 40's as a single layer. If you either wrap the pad, or double up the torso section, etc, either should extend you into the 30's.

Tacky Hiker
10-06-2009, 10:24
I am torn between the Minicel Foam and Speer SleepPad. :confused:

angrysparrow
10-06-2009, 10:26
Sorry, I have no experience with the Minicel. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

HappyCamper
10-06-2009, 10:29
Get both and then tell me which one I should get ! ;)

Fiddleback
10-06-2009, 10:43
All I've ever used is the older ¼" Oware pad. With my sleep system, I haven't felt cold coming through until 22°. Oware's current pad is 3/16 and a ounce lighter at 6oz. I imagine it's still good for temps below freezing...a lot of insulation for $28 and 6oz.:)

FB

Tacky Hiker
10-08-2009, 09:42
Thank you. But will a 60" pad be long enough if I am 6'1" ?

winger
10-08-2009, 10:31
I used the Gossamer pad for the first time last night. Hammock is a BB. Temps in the lower 40's, using also a JRB underquilt and weathershield. Toasty. I notice that the pad definitely creates a warm barrier as even at that relatively warm temp I would have felt coolness from underneath through the hammock. Now to figure out some way of transporting this bulky pad!

Fiddleback
10-08-2009, 11:09
Thank you. But will a 60" pad be long enough if I am 6'1" ?

I use clothing and 'stuff' for a pillow and don't have the pad under my head when I sleep. That extends the pad to pretty close to full body length for me but, in doing the same, your feet might be off the pad. You might consider fabricating an addition or just bringing in a separate piece of foam, e.g., a sit pad.

FB

Perkolady
10-08-2009, 11:14
I have a short pad, and I use a sit pad in the foot box area.

Tacky Hiker
10-08-2009, 13:04
Ok, thats what I was thinking. I use my stuff sack with colthes in it for a pillow as well.

Tacky Hiker
10-08-2009, 13:25
Ok, I have decided to go with a Speer SleepPad. It is the largest size and I can cut to my specs. It will probably be cut down to 11-12oz. It also has a higher R Value than Oware, and I can pay using PayPal !!

I will then buy a Neat Sheet and sew a shell over that. Maybe with a velcro end so I can take it in/out when needed.

Thanks for all the advise.

Triptease
10-17-2009, 06:55
I am also torn between these three pads. Being that I am a larger guy (wear a 54" jacket) I need something wider to accommodate my wide shoulders. Does anyone have any experience as to how well these all pack down and can be stored in your pack? Or do they need to be rolled and stored on the outside? Personally, I prefer to store inside rather than out...

Can you fold them into a square and store along your back, or can they only be rolled?

Tacky Hiker
10-17-2009, 17:08
Well, I just purchased a Speer SleepPad. 1/4"x40"x80". 16oz, but cull cut down to about 12oz. R Value = 1

Shug
10-17-2009, 20:38
I am also torn between these three pads. Being that I am a larger guy (wear a 54" jacket) I need something wider to accommodate my wide shoulders. Does anyone have any experience as to how well these all pack down and can be stored in your pack? Or do they need to be rolled and stored on the outside? Personally, I prefer to store inside rather than out...

Can you fold them into a square and store along your back, or can they only be rolled?
You can fold them accordion style or square them .... i have done that in the past. Takes up a wee bit of cargo space .... depending on your pack. You can't beat a Speer SPE to keep those shoulder warm or just cut some shoulder wings and use duct tape to hook them to your pad.
Shug

Tacky Hiker
10-17-2009, 22:45
I plan on cutting it down to about 30"x65" (maybe mummy shape it). So I can just fold it lengthwise then roll it up? That is how I do my Therm-A-Rest.