PDA

View Full Version : Width 58" vs. wider

ipokebadgers
06-17-2015, 10:38
I am now hanging in a 9'4" long, double layer hammock that is 74" wide. I have had it for 8+ years and have no issues with it. Now that I have found this forum and spent days and days reading I have convinced myself I need to try a longer hammock. I am going to try an 11 footer made by a maker on this forum. I will keep it double layer because I want the 400+# weight rating. My questions is what width do you find most comfortable in a longer hammock? I have really come to like the extra width but I have talked to a couple of people that are comfortable in a 58" wide hammock. The extra weight of the extra width is not an issue. I don't have the luxury of being able to try different widths. I am 6' and 285#.

Thanks,

ipokebadgers

Ragabash
06-17-2015, 10:49
I believe 58" became standard because of the typical width of the raw material, not for any ergonomic reason. 58" usually gets the job done. How tall are you and are you a wide person, narrow person, etc.?

pgibson
06-17-2015, 11:04
Shroud is correct, fabrics commonly available are usually close to 60" wide minus the hemming and there you go. However length and width are paired up partners in the hammock dance. Change length to longer and you can get equal comfort without the width...so long as your at a reasonable length that is.

ipokebadgers
06-17-2015, 11:28
I believe 58" became standard because of the typical width of the raw material, not for any ergonomic reason. 58" usually gets the job done. How tall are you and are you a wide person, narrow person, etc.?

6' and 285#. Wide person (that is a pleasant way to put it!).

MAD777
06-17-2015, 11:42
Personally I can't see any advantage of going whiter than 54 inches, however since weight is not an issue, why not get a wide hammock. You will definitely see the benefits of a longer hammock.

SilvrSurfr
06-17-2015, 12:29
Personally I can't see any advantage of going whiter than 54 inches, however since weight is not an issue, why not get a wide hammock. You will definitely see the benefits of a longer hammock.

Rachel Dolezal in the house! I also can't see any advantage of going "whiter" than 60 inches. I have a 55" wide hammock that's a bit hard to get a diagonal lay in.

jamaulwall
06-17-2015, 12:33
If you really like the extra width on your current hammock I'd check out the new HyperD XL Diamond Ripstop fabric that Dream Hammocks is using (http://www.dream-hammock.com/). That way you can keep the width you have come to enjoy (it's 72" wide) but also have a longer hammock. Having made that suggestion, the posts above are correct in that length and width both come into play. A longer hammock doesn't need to be quite as wide for similar comfort. Some people prefer less fabric flopping around while others like the extra fabric. At that point it's a personal preference. It sounds like you like the extra fabric and don't mind the weight so this could work for you. Having had both wide and more narrow hammocks I personally prefer a little less fabric (58" seems about right), and a Knotty Mod to keep my quilt from falling out. I never struggled with my quilts falling out in my much wider ENO DN, but when I went to the shorter width I starting having problems with that until I put a Knotty Mod on to solve the problem. The only thing I like a wider hammock for is when I use it as a lounger/chair to sit perpendicular on and read. The extra fabric came in handy for that but I'll sacrifice that most of the time for better views and less weight. Good luck.

mountainhanger
06-17-2015, 12:59
already use to the wide and why not? no need to constrict yourself, I myself like the wider hammock,, about 63 or 64 is low as i go,.unless it is something like a switchback from ttttg or the dd xl frontline..just saying . but as of yet to lay in a bridge hammock but one is being made for me to test out...

joshcrsn
06-17-2015, 14:32
6'1" x 235lbs and I can NOT sleep in a 58" hammock.
Even the WBBB with the foot box isn't enough.
Get some of the 72" wide HyperD OR try one of the Sierra Madre Research "pares" hammocks (at 6'6" wide.... a fella can really get SIDEWAYS)!!

ipokebadgers
06-17-2015, 14:38
Thanks all,

I had already decided on a wider hammock. I just wanted to see if there was more to it than weight and personal preference.

ipokebadgers

hutzelbein
06-18-2015, 05:10
I'm small and narrow, but I still have come to appreciate wider hammocks recently. It's not the only factor that makes a hammock comfortable for me, but in a wide hammock I can choose where I want to lie and how diagonal I want to go. It also lets me avoid the dreaded calf ridge much better.

Ridge_Dog
06-18-2015, 08:08
I'm small and narrow, but I still have come to appreciate wider hammocks recently. It's not the only factor that makes a hammock comfortable for me, but in a wide hammock I can choose where I want to lie and how diagonal I want to go. It also lets me avoid the dreaded calf ridge much better.
+1

somniferous
06-18-2015, 16:05
I have a few Dutch hammocks and I do wish they were a few inches wider. They are still comfortable, but at 6'2" my feet tend to almost hang over the edge with how diagonal I want to be. I used to use a BIAS WW, the 62" width was nice, but I ended up poking a hole in the thin material.