PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tape from my hammock

Cedar1974
06-19-2015, 12:49
I made a major blunder in a DIY project and used double sided tape to make a bug net. Now I have sticky stuff n both my Hammock and ridge line. I was planning to get a small bottle of Goo Gone from Dollar Tree, but is it safe on Nylon and Amsteel?

transeuphrates
06-19-2015, 15:03
I made a major blunder in a DIY project and used double sided tape to make a bug net. Now I have sticky stuff n both my Hammock and ridge line. I was planning to get a small bottle of Goo Gone from Dollar Tree, but is it safe on Nylon and Amsteel?
I probably wouldn't use goo gone on your hammock since it is a petroleum based product. Chances are it will leave a permanent stain. I would try using some masking tape on your hammock to see if you can get most of the adhesive off. Then you could use a gentle cleaner that is ammonia based to try and clean the rest. I have used a cleaner called Awesome and it is ammonia based and didn't harm the hammock. I would test it out on an inconspicuous part of the fabric first though.

hk2001
06-19-2015, 15:56
You could try freezing it too.. some adhesives will peel off when frozen.. but I'd try it on scrap first

DrPhun
06-19-2015, 16:31
You could try warming the area with a hair dryer to make the glue softer, then unsung tape to try to pull it off, as previously mentioned. Other solvents that may work and are relatively mild are alcohol and wd40.

transeuphrates
06-20-2015, 13:06
You could try freezing it too.. some adhesives will peel off when frozen.. but I'd try it on scrap first
This is also a great idea.