PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably Cheap Hammock Noob setup

Hiker Boy
06-19-2015, 20:08
I have a Hennessy Explorer Asym Deluxe with bottom entry. I used it twice and I hated it. I hated the entry, the suspension, and even the tarp/fly. It kept me from trying a hammock again for 8 years.

Now I'm interested again but didn't want to spend a ton of money. I really like how you can customize your hang buy mixing and matching the components you want and you and DIY some stuff. This time I started with an inexpensive La Siesta Double from Costco and got rid of the rope suspension and went with some climbing biners I had and ENO Atlas straps. I decided to go with what I had for tarps(a Kelty Noah 9) and cordage so I'm using 550 paracord for my ridgeline along with NiteIze Cam Jams to adjust it and a biner&prussik to attach to the tarp. I made self-tensioning guylines for the tarp from some shockcor5d and 550 I had on hand. I have a double opening stuff sack coming from Dutch, some HH Snakeskins I got on sale from Amazon, and a Jarbridge River underquilt coming from Arrowhead that I also got the sale on. My Gear Hammock is an old mesh stuff sack that I can attack to the ridgeline using the sack's toggle and a small S biner.

Just trying it what components I have so far.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/450/18780790449_5ab0888cd8_c.jpg

My system is quite heavy but it can be set up or taken down in less than 5 minutes. I like the convenience and what I have so far, did feel quite comfortable...it almost had me shouting "whoo buddy!" but that might have scared some of the other denizens of the local park.

Yup, I could have bought a complete set with everything from Dutch or some of the others which would have been much lighter and less costly if and when I start the upgrade game but in the meantime, I feel really good and a great deal of satisfaction about re-using what gear I already had available.

I hope to be out camping in my rig next month.

FJRpilot
06-19-2015, 20:15
Very smart approach, I think that it's rare that the first time hunger feels absolutely comfortable in a Hammock. I also started with a HH Explorer Asym... Now I'm using an 11ft DIY gathered end and I absolutely love it. When your ready to try something new, try one of Dutch's gathered ends. I think you will like them.

ylnfrt
06-19-2015, 22:13
for being a thrown together kit of what you had on hand- you did fine, your hanging !!! Unless you are a DIY'er, getting one of Dutch's Argon 1.6 hammocks is like sleeping in a cloud and waking up to blissful feeling of GOOD. In the near future I would be looking at replacing the paracord with 7/64 Amsteel for your suspension and tarp requirements, a lot use zingit/ lashit for the tieouts and ridgeline. Stretching lines is not usually welcome with hammocks. tarps.

mmorton
06-20-2015, 07:17
I started out with a WBBB XLC and I just couldn't get comfortable in it. It was very well made and Warbonnet was great to deal with but I just couldn't get comfortable. I almost gave up on hanging. As a last resort I bought a used Hammeck Netty and, man, what a difference. The calf ridge was gone, my knees weren't hyper extended, I almost couldn't believe it. You really have to shop around for a setup that works for you. Congratulations!

ShellHammock
06-20-2015, 08:30
one thing that makes a HUGE difference in sleeping comfortably throughout the night is the ability to stay warm from below. It's hard for me to think about piecing together a rig without first considering bottom insulation. UQs are the most comfortable way to insulate a hammock because they don't interfere with the hammock being a hammock! when you try to do everything with one rig, you invariably skimp on something, either comfort or convenience

I have a few 40 and 20 degree demo Boone hammocks that I'd be happy to send you to try for yourself. Feel free to contact me anytime.