PDA

View Full Version : 1st time out in Hennessy Hammock

71bronco
06-20-2015, 20:33
After spending the last year with an ENO dn hammock set up in spare bedroom, I went to Trail Days in Damascus and purchased 2 HH deep jungle Hammocks me and my wife finally got to take them out this weekend with several pretty big rain showers we had a great time and we stayed dry but we need to upgrade our homemade underquilts. We don't have a huge budget and we will be doing some car camping with some extended weekend hiking trips any suggestions? Are all underquilts the same as far as width I know they come in different lengths?

Whiskeyjack
06-21-2015, 07:53
We have several quilts from Underground Quilts that work great on the Hennesseys. My wife uses a Jack's R Better Nest, which has the slit that matches her bottom entry. Every manufacturer has slightly different specs, and some have several options for both length and width. Some will customize them for your preference.

bkrgi
06-21-2015, 12:02
I'd say improvise with what you got and or use a cheap pad and save your cash for a Down quilt down the road (I too use a UGQ on my DJ XL). Is worth biting the bullet for the good stuff but in the end do whats right for you...lots of choices.
As width goes, to wide and it just rides up high on the sides cocooning one further but not being of any benefit.

transeuphrates
06-21-2015, 15:21
I'd say improvise with what you got and or use a cheap pad and save your cash for a Down quilt down the road (I too use a UGQ on my DJ XL). Is worth biting the bullet for the good stuff but in the end do whats right for you...lots of choices.
As width goes, to wide and it just rides up high on the sides cocooning one further but not being of any benefit.
Ditto on bkrgi's comment. Try to work with what you have. I use a Potomac UQ from AHE. It works great for my Hennessy. I also just bought a cheap ENO Ember 2 to use with my daughter's Hennessy Cub when we backpack together. You don't have to spend lots of $ to get something that works.

Theosus
06-21-2015, 15:44
I made a DIY quilt using Kick-@$$-Quilts instructions on this site. Cost me $150 for materials and a couple of days to put together. It works really well down to around 40, and okay down to around 35. It fits the hennessy just fine as it has that weird diagonal shape to it, but it works under an ENO just fine, too.

71bronco
06-21-2015, 16:39
Where did you find the plans to build the underquilt?

Theosus
06-24-2015, 20:18
It used to be on this site, step by step instructions. I have a PDF on my hard drive that I saved from here just in case. I guess I'm glad I kept it!

Gnarrkills
06-24-2015, 22:22
Could you send me those plans?