PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this will work??

mcnurlenj
10-06-2009, 14:41
I am contemplating:confused: using a single piece of 7/64 amsteel blue to hang my hammock. The idea is to tie the hammock directly to it using prusik knots giving me a single ridge line and suspension line all in one. I just wondered if there was a reason to tie the hammock under the line?? I'm curious because I really dont want to waste any rope I don't have to. With this and a set of tree huggers i may get to cut some weight. To me its so simple that I cant help but figure there must be a reason why its not done.

Hawk-eye
10-06-2009, 14:51
Better check ... not sure a prusik will work on amsteel ... too slick

oldgringo
10-06-2009, 15:03
If you haven't already done so, watch this vid...part two discusses, among other things, single line suspensions.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8939

gargoyle
10-06-2009, 15:14
Right you are, Hawk-eye. Too slippery is the problem with amsteel. Possibly you could tie a knot in the main line and clip on your hammock with two carabiners. Or try to splice two extra lines into your main line where you need your hammock to hang, whoopie style. Just be sure to lock in your splices, so they don't come loose when your taking the hammock down. If I'm not mistaken ,Gunn just did a video on his nano hammock, and it had something similar to what your saying. Here 'tis. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11046&highlight=gunn+parker)

TeeDee
10-06-2009, 15:57
I am contemplating:confused: using a single piece of 7/64 amsteel blue to hang my hammock. The idea is to tie the hammock directly to it using prusik knots giving me a single ridge line and suspension line all in one. I just wondered if there was a reason to tie the hammock under the line?? I'm curious because I really dont want to waste any rope I don't have to. With this and a set of tree huggers i may get to cut some weight. To me its so simple that I cant help but figure there must be a reason why its not done.

Been there, done that.

Tried Prussics first, then every friction knot I could find on the internet.

There is a tried and true reason for the rule that when using the Prussic, the main rope must be twice the diameter of the Prussic rope.

Bottom Line: Will work if you are willing to use 1/4" rope for the ridge line and the 1/8" or 7/64" for the Prussics.

Problem: 1/4" rope for the ridge line is heavy and bulky.

If you are car camping or horse packing or some such endeavor so that you don't have to carry the rope, it will work.

mcnurlenj
10-06-2009, 16:15
I may not have explained the idea well enough. I hope to tie the prusiks around the ends of the hammock, just below the whipping. The end is about 1 in diameter where I whipped it, maybe some other knot would work there too?? One of the tails on the knot is the suspension line and the other is the ridge line going to the other end of the hammock, where it is reversed and comes out as the suspension line again.

I made 3 gathered end hammocks and am experimenting and thinking crazy thoughts.
One of the others is tied up using a spliced ring of amsteel about 3.5" in diameter on each end girth hitched to the hammock and also to a caribiner (soon to be a ring, I hope) clove hitched to the amsteel. I had 5 old caribiners in my rappeling bag, 4.3 oz each, using 4 of them they weigh more than the hammock itself.(temporary experimental use for now)

I'm eventually going to make 1 more so everyone in the house can hang out.

mcnurlenj
10-06-2009, 16:16
I can't watch the videos at work, I'll try to check them out this evening at home.

Ramblinrev
10-06-2009, 16:25
I think I got what you are talking about. I don't think you would need a prussic. A simple larkshead or clove hitch would probably do if I understand your intent properly. A line of amsteel coves from the tree and is wrapped/knotted just behind the whipping/gather of the hammock end. The line then continues to form the internal ridgeline of the hammock and in wrapped/knotted around the other end of the hammock. The line then continues to to the other tree as the second suspension line. Is that correct? It might be cumbersome ot establish the right length for the ridgeline but I don't see why it would not work once everything is adjusted properly. A truckers hitch or some such device to a toggle at the tree on both ends. Sounds doable to me. But I'm not an engineer.

mcnurlenj
10-06-2009, 18:54
Yup thats the plan I was dreaming up

gunn parker
10-06-2009, 20:20
Have a look at my video here when you get time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkiuOJVzZfU

I would normally whip the suspension line to the end of the hammock and then tie the ridge line to the suspension line with an over hand knot at each end.
With this hammock I used the supplied biners but on my DIY hammocks I don't use them.

Frawg
10-07-2009, 09:23
It can be done using UCRs (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=133929#post133929) instead of prussiks.