PDA

View Full Version : just had my heart ripped out by Warbonnet and need some advice

bigwig
06-24-2015, 15:31
I need to get another hammock and was told by Brandon that they weren't doing custom orders and that they couldn't make me a Traveler XL (11' hammock) in double 1.7. I have a Traveler (10' hammock) in double 1.7 and love it, but was looking to get a second hammock that was a bit longer and to pass down my current hammock to my wife. This is what I love about this hammock and I need a suggestion on where to get a hammock with these qualifications:

* I want to try a 11' hammock.
* I love the double layer of the thick material on my traveler. It doesn't flex much at all and I get a pretty flat lay even though I weigh 300 lbs and am 6'. I don't know what material Warbonnet hammocks are, so I'm not even sure how to shop for one with similar material, or at least a material that doesn't flex that much.
* I love how the edges of the hammock are kind of loose instead of coming up around tightly. I think it makes for a flatter lay.
* I don't like integrated bug nets. I move around a lot at night and like to just be able to reach over the side to adjust my underquilt (shout-out to hammockgear for a great underquilt).
* I love the webbing suspension on the Warbonnets and would like to have something similar or at least something that can be easily removed so I can retrofit it with one of their suspensions.
* The hammock needs to be able to handle 350 lbs.
* I need this hammock for a trip in August.

Any suggestions?

WaffleBox
06-24-2015, 15:39
You can get a net-less double layer hammock from Simply Light Designs, Hammeck, Dream Hammock, or Dutchware.

sr1355
06-24-2015, 16:31
Talk to Papasmurf at DreamHammock, I know they are swamped but may be able to help. He is super knowledgeable on material options and the vrious properties of those materials.

Floridahanger
06-24-2015, 16:36
I think the new WBBB XLC is just a 11' traveler with a net-footbox-bugnet combo. Are these available in double layer? Just unzip the bugnet since it's removable.

Maybe not...

kc8ljm
06-24-2015, 17:12
3 Votes for Dream Hammock very happy with service and product. Wont find better people.

Rex Clifton
06-24-2015, 18:32
Get the WBBB XLC in 1.7 DL. It's just a Traveler with a zip off bug net. Chances are, you can sell the bug net to recoup some of the extra $$.

T- Minus
06-24-2015, 18:51
Get the WBBB XLC in 1.7 DL. It's just a Traveler with a zip off bug net. Chances are, you can sell the bug net to recoup some of the extra $$.
or keep the bug net to use. But there were some post earlier about ripped bug nets, so a buyer may be out there.

WaffleBox
06-24-2015, 19:08
It seems odd to me to suggest spending over $200 to get a hammock with features that he doesn't want when he could get a hammock with exactly the features he does want for around $50 from Simply Light Designs. And SLD does amazing quality, super fast work.

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2015, 19:28
Buttinasling will do a DL.

Sethrotull
06-24-2015, 19:32
Hammeck gets my vote.

Tacoma96
06-24-2015, 19:47
You have a lot of great options and a tough choice. Good luck. You cant go wrong with what has already been posted.

OCDave
06-24-2015, 20:18
I have several hammocks but The Wilderness Logics Lite Owl is my "Go-To". At your size you should consider the Wilderness Logics NightOwl.

http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Night-Owl-Night-Owl.htm

Good Luck

jdenkevitz
06-24-2015, 20:48
It seems odd to me to suggest spending over $200 to get a hammock with features that he doesn't want when he could get a hammock with exactly the features he does want for around $50 from Simply Light Designs. And SLD does amazing quality, super fast work.

+1

LOVE my trail lair.

hutzelbein
06-25-2015, 07:00
As others said, there are plenty of no-net hammock makers who offer double layer hammocks. However, I don't think any of the non-WB no-nets will have the same build as the WB Traveler. I have a BIAS Hiker Lite and the WL Owls - I also have a double layer DH - and none has the WB whipping or the wide layer opening of the WB hammocks. The whipping is easy enough to change with any channel ended hammock; just use your Traveler as a guide. The opening between the layers is a different issue. I don't know why most hammock makers close the layers as much as they do, since it makes getting the pad in and out or re-positioning it a PITA. But... pretty much all cottage gear vendors make custom alterations, so you could simply ask them to only connect the layers in the middle.

One advantage of going with another vendor would be, that you could ask them to use one of the fancy new fabrics, e.g. the extra wide HyperD?, to make your hammock :)

Oh - and have you thought about DIY? A no-net double layer hammock is not too difficult to make...

hutzelbein
06-25-2015, 07:02
* I love the webbing suspension on the Warbonnets and would like to have something similar or at least something that can be easily removed so I can retrofit it with one of their suspensions.

I haven't seen a hammock that couldn't be upgraded. Just buy the WB webbing suspension here (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/complete-webbing-buckles-suspension/) and slap it on your new hammock.

bigwig
06-25-2015, 10:09
There are lots of good suggestions here.

I did think of getting a WBBB XLC and just removing the net but I think that having a zipper all along the edge would be really uncomfortable and hoped I could find an option for $100 less.

I will send DreamHammock an email, but it looks like their lead time is 9+ weeks, so I don't think that it will work.

Dutch doesn't have a double layer 1.6 on his website. I'll send him an email and ask about it. Thanks for the suggestion on this one.

I have yet to look at SLD and Hemmeck, but definitely will.

What type of fabric should I look for that has the least amount of stretch? Unfortunately, as a fat guy, most of my weight is distributed toward the middle of my body. That causes my butt to hang down further if there is stretch in the fabric and doesn't make for a flat lay. It's not just a matter of a weight limit on the hammock; it's a matter of how the fabric stretches with my body.

WaffleBox
06-25-2015, 10:13
PolyD from Dutch has the least stretch, but I'm not sure if a double layer of PolyD 1.4 would comfortably support your weight or not. HyperD 1.6 or NylonD 1.6 would probably be good options.

Simply Light Designs will make it for you out of whichever material you want. If they have the material on hand, you'll have your hammock in 3-4 days from the time you order it. If they have to order the fabric, you'll have it in ~1 week. Jared (the owner of SLD) literally sewed my hammock for me on Christmas day so I could have it for my trip that started on Jan 1.

Foxpoop
06-25-2015, 10:56
Jared at SLD will absolutely take care of you at a reasonable price and very quickly. I would say just ship him 8 yards of material directly from Dutch or RSBTR. My vote at your size would be for either 1.6 NylonD (Dutch) or 1.6 HyperD (RSBTR). They are both great. I would probably just choose based in your color preference.

gunner76
06-25-2015, 11:16
Check with the MomMeck at Hammeck. They are close to you and make some good stuff.

Texas Hanger
06-25-2015, 14:13
Go look in the for sale section in this forum... :cool:

JasonACraft
06-25-2015, 15:34
Even verified it's an 11'!

mmorton
06-26-2015, 08:59
Hammeck gets my vote.

Mine as well. I am a dyed in the wool convert from WBBB XLC to Hammeck. Talk to David Meck, he will go out of his way to help. I think he is mekelangelo here on the forums.

bigwig
06-26-2015, 13:19
Just purchased a Freebird from Dream Hammock. Randy was very, very helpful. And, since I didn't make any modifications, they say that it will only take about a week.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I looked into quite a few of them. Dutch replied to my emails, but I would ask like 3 questions and would only get one of them answered in response, and it was never the question on how much it would cost and what the lead time was, so I felt like I was just annoying him.

Hemmock would have been a second choice but for the same price I got a ridgeline on the one from Dream Hammocks and Dream would make it with different colors on the inside and outside layers, so I get stealthy on the outside and cheerful on the inside, which is pretty cool.

HillbillyHanger
06-26-2015, 13:36
I was not aware of this forum, and bought my first hammock based on a recommendation from a friend. I bought a Hennessy Exporer Deluxe. I have been pleased with it. I kind of like the lashing. However, after learning about the forum I bought my 13 year old his first hammock from Randy, a Freebird. He loves it and has had really good experiences with it. Randy has been great to deal with. I later bought a Lite Owl. Marty is awesome to deal with as well and I love, did I shout out Love, sleeping in that Lite Owl in the cooler months. That being said, I just bought a dl XLC. Frankly, just wanted to try the Warbonnet and I wanted a double layer for the mosquito protection. I think you'll be well pleased with the Freebird.

PapaSmurf
06-26-2015, 14:00
Just purchased a Freebird from Dream Hammock.

Thanks bigwig.
Yes, just to clarify we have been trying to offer our standard FreeBird hammocks with no custom add-ons within a few days.

mrjaw14
06-26-2015, 22:39
I have a dream hammock. Absolutely love it! You made a good choice

mmorton
06-28-2015, 22:51
A buddy of mine just ordered his about two weeks ago and he is climbing the walls waiting for his - Enjoy!!!