PDA

View Full Version : Hanging WBBB in a 15 ft hammock stand

Creek.Jumper
06-24-2015, 21:34
Hi,

I just purchased a hammock stand like this.

I'd like to try my WBBB a few times before packing with it. Not ideal I know, but I have no trees. The problem is I cant seem to get a comfortable hang, wondering if anyone has managed to do so and how they did it.

hutzelbein
06-25-2015, 07:06
Judging from the picture, the stand is made for use with spreader bar hammocks and is not deep enough to be used with a gathered end hammock. Have a look here (http://sectionhiker.com/portable-hammock-stands-for-camping-by-derek-hansen/) to get an idea what your options are.

rustyshack11
06-25-2015, 07:31
Where did you get it?

MisterS
06-25-2015, 08:28
I use this with my 11 ft\ WBBB-XLC and it works fine. http://www.rei.com/product/867559/byer-ceara-hammock-stand.

To get a 30 degree hang, I have to rig the ridgeline very tight when setting up since the stand flexes, but when I lie in it, the ridge line loosens to normal since the ends flex toward each other. I like that the stand breaks down for storage and reassembles quickly and easily with no tools required other than the included ones. The included wrenches are stamped metal. I keep them attached to a brace on the frame with a soft prussic so I don't lose them. If you have a large enough car trunk or a pickup, etc., you can leave the major sections assembled for transport. The lower bar joins the side struts that holds the detachable upright end pieces. It uses a bolt with a hand knob to secure the tubular pieces together. I normally do not rig up my superfly, but it is possible. It is my go-to setup for yard testing or just lounging on a nice day. It is too heavy for backpacking use though it would be great to take along for a basecamp setup where there were no trees or for car campers.

mmorton
06-26-2015, 08:52
I use the Hammeck stand on the road and a turtle dog stand at home.

Creek.Jumper
06-26-2015, 08:56
Judging from the picture, the stand is made for use with spreader bar hammocks and is not deep enough to be used with a gathered end hammock. Have a look here (http://sectionhiker.com/portable-hammock-stands-for-camping-by-derek-hansen/) to get an idea what your options are.

Thanks, a few more options. I am able to get the hammock on the stand, I just cant seem to get it comfortable.

Creek.Jumper
06-26-2015, 08:57
Where did you get it?

I got it here (http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0881147P/no-hammock-stand-reviews/reviews.htm)

Creek.Jumper
06-26-2015, 08:59
I use this with my 11 ft\ WBBB-XLC and it works fine. http://www.rei.com/product/867559/byer-ceara-hammock-stand.

To get a 30 degree hang, I have to rig the ridgeline very tight when setting up since the stand flexes, but when I lie in it, the ridge line loosens to normal since the ends flex toward each other. I like that the stand breaks down for storage and reassembles quickly and easily with no tools required other than the included ones. The included wrenches are stamped metal. I keep them attached to a brace on the frame with a soft prussic so I don't lose them. If you have a large enough car trunk or a pickup, etc., you can leave the major sections assembled for transport. The lower bar joins the side struts that holds the detachable upright end pieces. It uses a bolt with a hand knob to secure the tubular pieces together. I normally do not rig up my superfly, but it is possible. It is my go-to setup for yard testing or just lounging on a nice day. It is too heavy for backpacking use though it would be great to take along for a basecamp setup where there were no trees or for car campers.

Do you by chance have a picture of your setup?

OneClick
06-26-2015, 09:11
I gave up on this. I'm sure ready for a quick, easy, affordable stand without a spiderweb of cordage, lumber and DIY ghetto rigged monstrosities. The Hammeck Stand is close to what I want but big $$$

mmorton
06-28-2015, 22:53
I gave up on this. I'm sure ready for a quick, easy, affordable stand without a spiderweb of cordage, lumber and DIY ghetto rigged monstrosities. The Hammeck Stand is close to what I want but big $$$

I spent almost as much as the Hammeck stand cost on trying to build a stand - when I finally built it I found that it wasn't all that portable, so I built another one....then it just wasn't quite right...you get the picture....once I bought the Hammeck - I was happy - I could have saved money if I had just shelled out the money in the first place - IMHO

cougarmeat
07-02-2015, 18:28
Did you use the hammock hang calculator to see what lengths you needed to get your desired sag? As suggested before, it could be that your stand - though having excellent length at 15 ft - doesn't allow for hanging the hammock high enough to give you your comfort dimensions. Try hanging where you are comfortable and have someone measure distance from gathered end to gathered end. Then suspend your hammock with your stand so the gathered ends are the same distance. If, in order to do that, you hammock is on the ground - that's your problem. The stand has to be long enough, but it also has to be high enough.

accrete
07-02-2015, 22:44
I don't know if you are interested in a quick DIY hammock stand but this is a picture of my WBBB 1.7 dbl on a stand I made (link to build thread here at HF (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/111928-Accrete-s-Single-Double-Hammock-portable-stand)). The ridgepole is an easy to find 1 - 3/8" fence top rail cut in half so total length of pole in this pic is 10ft. A hammer is the only tool needed since my local Home Depot crew were happy to cut the rail/conduit.

http://www.accrete.com/p-tgl/miscpix/TGL_SHSupWBBB.jpg

folds up and stores easy:
http://www.accrete.com/p-tgl/miscpix/TGL_SHSfolded.jpg

Thom

firecaptain53
07-03-2015, 07:40

This is my setup, been using it for several years now. I can switch out between the ENO DN or Blackbird depending on the mood i'm in. Hope this helps.

cougarmeat
07-03-2015, 14:13
firecaptian53, Did you make those extension or did they come with the stand (or optional purchase)? Where did you get it?

firecaptain53
07-03-2015, 18:39
firecaptian53, Did you make those extension or did they come with the stand (or optional purchase)? Where did you get it?

I had a local muffler shop bend them for me. I took the stand, in the back of my truck to the shop, explained what I wanted and came back later to pick it up. The pipe they used was of a HD material since it would need to hold the weight. I have used this setup for many years now and have no issues with bending. Where the new pipe is flared to go over the original, I drilled a hole and just dropped a bolt in it the keep in place. I them drilled a new hole for the hook to fit. I don't know the gauge of the pipe but it is steel I would say, not aluminum. Hope this helps.

TreeDangle
07-03-2015, 20:22
To stop the over flexing of the hammock stand, or over tensioning of the ridgeline to compensate for this, I pretension the stand with a length of cord before hanging the hammock with the correct sag/tension.

Horton92
07-28-2015, 17:02
I built a a huge stand. Yes , like everything else I do , I went hogwild. I have access to a pipe threader at work so I purchased a bunch of 1 1/4 galvanized pipe. I also got 2- T's , 2- 90's , and a union. My stand is seven feet tall and 14 feet wide. The T's are at the bottom to for feet that extend out 3 feet each direction. So the feet at each end total 6 feet wide. Yes It is very heavy but also very stable. Currently I have it on my deck I am new to all the hammock stuff and love tinkering. Best place for me to do that is at home. I am also new to the forum so if I can figure out how to post a photo I will.
Btw. Home depot has ten foot sections of galvanized pipe at a very reasonable price. It will take 4 ten foot sections to build this beast.

You can see part of the stand. It can come apart with a union in the middle top and be unthreaded. I like it so I can have a sturdy stand anywhere in the yard. ( I only have one tree. LOL )

MisterS
07-28-2015, 22:14
To stop the over flexing of the hammock stand, or over tensioning of the ridgeline to compensate for this, I pretension the stand with a length of cord before hanging the hammock with the correct sag/tension.

That is a good idea. I'll have to give it a try. One problem with over tensioning the ridgeline on my WBBB-XLC with the buckle straps is that it is very difficult to relieve that tension when I take it down. A separate length of cord would solve that. Kudos to you, TreeDangle.

- Mister S -

jdr724
08-02-2015, 06:45
REI sells a wall mount kit for 12 which will let you hang indoors on the cheap. Perfect for a basement or garage.

http://www.rei.com/product/847920/eno-indoor-hammock-hanging-kit

Bosman
07-26-2018, 20:55
Ok I wonder if I can get this done at a local muffler shop because the Hatteras hammock stand is heavy duty and I like that about it. I’m almost surprised it flexed given the 600 lb limit. Although things changed with the add of for sure. Thanks!!

tangara
07-27-2018, 06:19
I have one like that, but I have a gathered end hammocks. On mine, the bar at the bottom is two sections. I was able to make it work by removing one of the sections. On a long spread, the attachment points for our hammocks is higher. An 11 footer hangs pretty low for me, but not on the ground. The others I have are 10+ footers and they work that way. I have some 13 foot cotton ones and they need both bars, but the hang ends being pretty flat. Cotton gives enough that it's still comfortable.