PDA

View Full Version : Unveiled! the Winter Coat (te-waunderquilts.blogspot.com)

te-wa
10-07-2009, 16:15
When the temps drop, every Squirrell's gotta have a winter coat!

Happycamper1 and Angrysparrow are the first to have a te-wa underquilt winter edition and im proud to announce that 1 week from now, starting October 15th i will be producing the "Winter Coat"

specs:
~40" x 52"
vertical, 3.5" mesh baffles overstuffed to 4" on differential cut
with 12 ounces of 800+ down
1.1 ripstop shells, calendared and DWR
18oz total weight
i feel it should take most users into the teens.

click my signature for more details, pricing, and info.

We'll be looking forward to your initial impressions, Tracy and Sam! :cool:

RAW
10-07-2009, 18:01
I'm a picture kinda guy.
Let's see some pics!:D

HappyCamper
10-07-2009, 18:15
I know you'll probably want to see pictures of quilt on the hammock but I ain't got those yet! Here are 2 to show loft. More to say later !

te-wa
10-07-2009, 18:22
those pics show the differential cut, it looks like about 5 inches!
however when both shells are on your hammock they "become" the same general size. this results in a solid 3.5" of loft, or slightly more.

Knotty
10-07-2009, 18:47
Looks nice, but help me understand the 52" length. Why not full length for winter?

Trying to get a grasp on this whole UQ thing.

Take-a-knee
10-07-2009, 18:57
Looks nice, but help me understand the 52" length. Why not full length for winter?

Trying to get a grasp on this whole UQ thing.

Because folks who don't suffer from peripheral vascular disease do quite well with a pad under their feet, even in the winter. If you are smart you carry a short pad for a sit pad and as a backup anyway, why not put it to use?

RAW
10-12-2009, 18:44
I'm seriously considering ordering one of these.
Anyone got some pics of it on a Blackbird?
I've seen a couple of pics in the HF galleries . . . . I guess of the summer and 3-season Te-was.

Anyone got a few up-close shots of the stitching?

angrysparrow
10-12-2009, 18:53
I don't have any pics of mine right now (forgot to carry camera when backpacking this weekend) but I'll go ahead and say that the Winter Te-Wa is a fabulously well made piece of gear. Mike clearly thought out all the details of construction, and it shows. Straight and strong seams, to say the least.

I haven't had a chance to test it out in *cold* weather yet, but I have confidence now that I've used it.

Mine is spot on 18oz + .7oz stuffsack, 12 oz of which is down. 3.5" baffles and pretty consistent 4" loft.

I get the impression that Te-Wa has set out to underpromise and over-deliver. I'm having problems finding fault with that approach..

RAW
10-12-2009, 19:25
Alrighty.
I'm ready to make the leap.
Now . . . how do I place my order?

angrysparrow
10-12-2009, 21:11
Some pics -

Bankheadboy
10-12-2009, 21:38
Ive seen this UQ over the weekend with angrysparrow and I got to say this is the puffiest down quilt that I've seen. If looked like a balloon and should be super warm!

RAW
10-12-2009, 21:52
Thanks, Angrysparrow. Looks great.

sir_n0thing
10-14-2009, 18:09
Wife's been bugging me for a wish list for my birthday coming up this month, and this Winter Coat is on the list!
Looks like a seriously nice piece.

sir_n0thing

HappyCamper
10-18-2009, 09:01
I haven't been able to post on the Winter Coat because the temps have not gotten all that low but I did sleep out in it twice backyard testing where temps were 37 degrees for most of the night. Last night add in some cold rain and wind. So far so good. Toasty warm.

I have to say I wasn't a big believer in these shorter quilts but the weight was too hard to resist and many HF people have been posting good reports so I emailed Mike to see what he had. True story. . . My postman, Tom, was at my door one day when I got home early from work and I saw it was Mike's quilt. I said to Tom, "You bringing me an early Christmas present?" He replied, "I guess, but why am I delivering you a big box of empty?"

Like others have said you will be impressed with the quality of the Tewa. But when I put it on my hammock I was truly frustrated by the size. I thought, there is no way this little quilt will keep me warm, but it has so far. Nice and warm.

The first night I slept in it I had shoulder slip, but then I've had shoulder slip with other quilts. When I mentioned it to Mike, he decided to put loops on both sides of his Tewas for people like me who may have problems with cinching and don't wanna fool around with it. Great customer service!

I slept in it last night and by attaching the quilt loop to my Blackbird with some shock cord and a mitten hook, I had no shoulder slip whatsoever and had solid sleep until a biobreak demanded attention. I also like the way the suspension allows you to take the bottom shock cord over the BB footbox so the quilt doesn't slip from that side either (even though the quilt doesn't go down that far.)

Because I’m a cold sleeper, I bought this underquilt more for shoulder season camping. Mike mentioned he thinks it will take most people into the teens. For me, that means 20's. I was hoping for low 30's from this 18 oz quilt so 20's would be a bonus. I'll update my experiences as the temps drop.

te-wa
10-31-2009, 13:56
for anyone interested, made a quick vid at a local park to go over the basic design components of the Winter Coat.
chiH8SIQHWo

Dyehard
10-31-2009, 14:52
Do you plan to make a full length winter quilt?

RAW
10-31-2009, 15:11
I've only had a chance to hang with this quilt once so far. It was only about 45º, so I hung the quilt a little loose. It kept me very, very toasty. I ended up pushing my top quilt off of me in the middle of the night to keep comfortable!

The quilt appears to be very well made. All of the stitches are tidy and tight and straight. The suspension worked great. I kept the bungee over the top of the hammock's footbox. And I clipped the shoulder stay to the blackbird's tie-out. The te-wa winter coat stayed put.

I can't wait to put it to the test over the course of this winter.

SmokeHouse
10-31-2009, 19:49
UQ looks awesome...

bonsaihiker
11-02-2009, 21:46
I took the plunge. Can't wait to try it out! I'll report back after it arrives.

Thanks, Te-wa.

HappyCamper
11-03-2009, 06:39
I had mine out for 2 nights on the Quehanna Trail in PA this past weekend. I used the Winter Coat, JRB topquilt and 1/4 inch Speer pad (under legs and feet.)

Since this is my first cold season experimenting with the WC, I cut my pad bigger than most people. It's 6 oz and I use it as my sitpad as well. It covers legs and feet in hammock and is a nice width. The second night temperatures were dipping down to freezing so I experimented with putting pad under legs and butt (just wanted that extra security for a good night trail sleep, call me sissy!). I figured if my feet got too cold, I'd sleep on my side with my legs curled up and my feet would be protected by pad, but my feet were fine all night long in quilt footbox with only one pair of thick wool socks. No cold spots under back or shoulders either.

No wind that night. We hiked 10 miles with some pretty good ups and downs that day in cold rainy conditions and I was pretty beat. I was very happy to be so comfortable and warm. Got cold spots on sides every once in a while when I moved around and quilt would need re-tucked. But other than that, really good. Even vented a few times during the night.

So my new low is 34. Looks like I get to keep going. Haven't reached its limit yet.

HappyCamper
11-13-2009, 12:03
The more I use this quilt the more I like it.

angrysparrow
11-13-2009, 12:08
The more I use this quilt the more I like it.

Same here... I'm very happy with my Te-Wa quilt.

lazy river road
11-13-2009, 14:04
This looks like an awesome quilt....but you DIY'ers are driving me crazy with all this gear you keep making I cant afford it all and every time I decide im gonna order something, something else pops up and makes me contiplate....So I had decided to order the 3 seasons yeti (once my apt. security deposit comes in the mail) but now this winter coat pops up and gives me something else to decide about. It looks really nice and warm...im a very cold sleeper and will be doing most of my camping mid spring through mid fall so would I even need a uq this warm...ill have to compare it to the yeti specs but again nice job the quilt looks great.... thanks HF for turning me into an obsesed gear junki :)

RAW
11-13-2009, 16:59
Maybe it's just that I'm a bigger guy (or a pansy), but . . . . I wouldn't want my underquilt to be much, if any, smaller than the Te-Wa. It could be perhaps a couple of inches shorter (but no narrower) without detriment, but . . . . I think it's the perfect size.

And the suspension system couldn't be any easier to use. :thumbup:

HappyCamper
11-13-2009, 17:16
Maybe it's just that I'm a bigger guy (or a pansy), but . . . . I wouldn't want my underquilt to be much, if any, smaller than the Te-Wa. It could be perhaps a couple of inches shorter (but no narrower) without detriment, but . . . . I think it's the perfect size.

And the suspension system couldn't be any easier to use. :thumbup:

Agreed. I wouldn't want to go any narrower.

lazy river road
11-14-2009, 00:38
Raw and HappyCamper...how broad are your shoulders...im a pretty broad guy and want to make sure what ever UQ I get covers my shoulders and dosent slip much...:)

Comet_Seeker
09-11-2012, 07:54
Old thread I know, but might as well post on the original with reviews. I have two things to say... 1) Thank you so so much to HappyCamper for making this my best purchase of the year. 2) The Winter Coat (now the Flurry) is awesome!

So far, only been able to get it to 45* but with fall approaching, I plan on using it a lot over the next few months