PDA

View Full Version : Show me how to go to ground

hvelowade
07-01-2015, 19:32
(Please)

... I've actually done this three times, and couldn't help but wonder if I was doing it wrong. Each time there was nothing around to suspend anything from but there were mosquitoes, so I basically used my enclosed bug net hammock as a bivvy. One time I used my pack to hold out the foot end but it kept hanging on my face and the bugs had their way with me.

I didn't use a tarp as the weather was clear and luckily it stayed that way. If it had started raining I would have woken up and got moving at whatever time of night it was.

If you're in a flat field, what's the best approach? If I could stake one end out, I could do a lean-to style thing with the tarp and prop the head end of the hammock up?

Anyone have any photos they could share?

MDSH
07-01-2015, 19:45
Do you have hiking poles?

A walking stick?

There must be some rigid structural system to keep things suspended ... at least one columnar piece.

Plus, your bug net is a Permethrin distribution system. Even if it is lying on your face it should be able to kill mosquitoes.

Alex MacDonald
07-01-2015, 22:50
I always use trekking poles, which are adjustable, so have at least 2 "tent" poles around. Here though, it's not difficult to find lots of trees. I do carry a small saw though, in case there's branches that need "adjusting",

Burg54
07-02-2015, 02:09
I use my trekking poles. They work pretty well. The XLC is not ideal for this as the bugnet sorta encroaches but it would work in a pinch.

Also, UGQ offers this product for helping with going to ground. Pair it with sticks or poles and you would be set up.
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/dongles/default.html

mountain_man_mike
07-02-2015, 11:41
A really quick way to go to the ground is to have a sharp object on your belt and rotate in your hammock but you probably had something else in mind.

cougarmeat
07-02-2015, 18:20
I'm kayaking so no hiking poles. But I carry (because I'm kayaking and weight isn't that critical) two collapsible poles I got at REI. Guyed, the poles will hold a tarp and provide an anchor to attach the bug net cords, keeping it off my face. Here's a photo where I was using some other poles. But these days, I figured I could fit in a freestanding t#nt. Because shell beaches may not have trees.

Intimidator
07-04-2015, 09:57
A really quick way to go to the ground is to have a sharp object on your belt and rotate in your hammock but you probably had something else in mind.
I laughed a little obnoxiously at this...