PDA

View Full Version : Basic Beginner Hammock Thread

Ewker
10-16-2006, 12:25
The only hammock I am familiar with is the one you hang in your yard on a metal frame. I do know they flip really easy. :eek:

I have seen the ones people use for camping but never paid any attention to them.

When you guys talk about this or that I have no clue as to what you mean. I hate to ask every single time what something is. You can say it is this or that but unless you know the basic setup of what goes with a hammock you can be lost.

IMO a basic beginner thread with a what is what with pics would be nice. I think it would help people who want to try one.

Seeker
10-16-2006, 15:53
hmm... good point... hadn't thought of it that way... i'm not familiar enough with this site yet to know if ATTroll or Jeff have an 'article' section (like over at whiteblaze, they have some basics on thru-hiking in a special section.) but to get you started, go over to jeff's site 'tothewoods.com' or .net... he's got a great section on hammocking... also, check out sgt rock's hiking hq for it's hammock section. another good one is the video clip at 'theplacewithnoname.com' (or dot net). i think it shows how to get in, how to tie the hennessy knot, and how the snakeskins work... sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words, and a video's worth several thousand.

blackbishop351
10-16-2006, 16:20
Take a look at the Hennessy site, too. They've posted video clips of the HH lashing, skin usage, and entry/exit. Of course, that's specific to the HH, but it might give you some general feel too.

Peter_pan
10-18-2006, 07:47
The only hammock I am familiar with is the one you hang in your yard on a metal frame. I do know they flip really easy. :eek:

I have seen the ones people use for camping but never paid any attention to them.

When you guys talk about this or that I have no clue as to what you mean. I hate to ask every single time what something is. You can say it is this or that but unless you know the basic setup of what goes with a hammock you can be lost.

IMO a basic beginner thread with a what is what with pics would be nice. I think it would help people who want to try one.

Welcome....try it you'll love it...

Read the Archives of the hammock forum at www.whiteblaze.net and all will become pretty clear ( best quick course there is).... Be sure that you have an adequate bottom insulation plan...even in the summer.

Pan

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 05:12
I think an alphabetized Glossary section would be perfect for what you're asking. Working on putting one up here, but in the meantime I put a few entries on my site. I'll probably take that one down and just link to this site when we get it operational.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGlossary.html

Ewker
10-20-2006, 07:38
Jeff, that looks good. At least I will know what people are talking about. Thanks a lot :D

Ewker
11-03-2006, 10:53
how is the beginner hammock thread coming

Just Jeff
11-03-2006, 11:38
Doh - thanks for the bump. Headchange sent me something several days ago and I haven't gotten it back to him. I'll work on that today.

Attroll said that it would be hard with this software to make a glossary that will automatically alphabetize itself. A glossary style seems to be the easiest format for a beginner thread, though - like an encyclopedia. Anyone have other format ideas?

txulrich
11-03-2006, 14:48
Attroll said that it would be hard with this software to make a glossary that will automatically alphabetize itself. A glossary style seems to be the easiest format for a beginner thread, though - like an encyclopedia. Anyone have other format ideas?

You could always post it as an article or document. Pretty easy to maintain that way too.

Ewker
11-03-2006, 15:20
Doh - thanks for the bump. Headchange sent me something several days ago and I haven't gotten it back to him. I'll work on that today.

just do it when you have time..no rush as I will be out backpacking Red River Gorge this weekend

Coffee
11-03-2006, 15:23
I wonder if a thread and article are in order for hammocking similar to what was on WB for hiking. I think the thread was the Tips and Tricks article. This way everyone could post their ideas and hammock tricks/setups.

One of the things I like about WB are the articles. We could also have people write articles for this forum about different aspects of hammocking. These could be posted and open for comments, then final versions could be posted. I little more work, but could be helpful.

headchange4u
11-03-2006, 16:41
I have been working on a beginners hammock thread for a few days now. I am including pics, links, DIY info and a glossary as well as other stuff. I will get it finished up and posted this weekend.

It's been kinda slow going as I am basically doing everything by hand (alphabetizing , adding links, etc). It will be an ongoing project but I can have the main part of it posted by Sunday.

Ewker,

Where are you hiking in the Red River Gorge? I go there all the time as it's only about 45 minutes from my house. It's beautiful there.

attroll
11-03-2006, 22:17
We could post it as an article like we do on WhiteBlaze and then the person maintaining that article could just update as required or we could have it as a sperate listing like we do the shelter listing on WhiteBlaze.

headchange4u
11-04-2006, 11:19
IMHO, a beginner's thread (or article) should be the first thing that is seen when a new user comes to the site. Maybe we could sticky it somewhere on the homepage.

Attroll,
Like I said I am going to finish the thread up this weekend. Let me know how you think would be the best way of doing it. I would like to have some format that I can readily and easily add to and edit.

I also had and idea of a wikipedia style thread that could be edited and added to by other members, with proper clearance of course. I have never done anything like this, but I am open to suggestions.

Also, if anybody has a suggestion for something they think should be in the thread, shoot me a PM and let me know, and I will try to include it.

slowhike
11-04-2006, 12:12
ewker... good idea about clearing up the basics. i think a lot of people get left behind because the ones that are trying to be helpful & give instruction forget to make sure the new preson understands the basics.
one thing i noticed in your 1st post (this thread) was the stability issue<G>.
a lot of people have layed in a hammock with spreader bars & found out how unstable they are (gilligan`s island?). but the type of hammocks we use for backpacking are MUCH more stable.... some more than others... because you lay lower in the hammock than the attachment points.
others here can probably explain that better, but at least that`s a start.
...tim

Ewker
11-06-2006, 08:56
Where are you hiking in the Red River Gorge? I go there all the time as it's only about 45 minutes from my house. It's beautiful there.

We went in at Martins Fork Trailhead and camped there Friday night. Sat morning we followed the Rough Trail towards Sheltowee (sp) Trail. We have a spot we camp off the trail. It is about a mile walk back to a nice campsite,then we head out to the point. You can see the trailhead at the suspension bridge from the point. That is where we hiked out at.

I will post my pics to my webshots albums this week.
I don't know if I can post my pics here because they are not hammock camping.

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 09:47
Hey guys - headchange sent us the beginners thread...we're troubleshooting how to set it up so it can be easily updated and still look nice and all. It's coming!

Ewker
03-19-2007, 21:18
any update

slowhike
03-19-2007, 22:12
i had said that i would work on a beginner's hammocking article, & i did start one.
frolicking dino did a great job of sprucing up what i had started, but i began to get bogged down w/ thoughts about how this & that should be explained or a link should be added all that kind of stuff.
fact is i just dropped the ball on that one. sorry:o
but from what i've seen of headchange4u's work, he will do a great job w/ it, & i appreciate it. ...tim

Bird Dog
03-20-2007, 03:24
Will there be a section on snot rockets? Inquiring minds want to know! :D BD

Hooch
03-20-2007, 03:28
I have been working on a beginners hammock thread for a few days now. I am including pics, links, DIY info and a glossary as well as other stuff. I will get it finished up and posted this weekend.

It's been kinda slow going as I am basically doing everything by hand (alphabetizing , adding links, etc). It will be an ongoing project but I can have the main part of it posted by Sunday.

Ewker,

Ewker, I'm about the same distance to Red River Gorge as Headchange. Do I smell a group hang at the Gorge coming on? *Sniff, sniff*:D

Ewker
03-20-2007, 07:56
Ewker, I'm about the same distance to Red River Gorge as Headchange. Do I smell a group hang at the Gorge coming on? *Sniff, sniff*:D

every time the group wants to have a get together I suggest RRG. Unfortunately there are to many folks who want to go to Mt Rogers.

headchange4u
03-20-2007, 08:02
I have been thinking about a RRG gorge gathering for a while now. I kinda had May 4-6 (Fri-Sun) in mind.

NCPatrick
03-20-2007, 08:13
I was just checking out a RRG website and read about the Clifty Wilderness area, looks very cool.
http://www.kywilderness.com/wild/clifty.htm

Coffee
03-20-2007, 08:55
I can forsee my thru state date getting pushed back a little. Kind of want to get school completly done before I leave. If you guys can give me notice to get it off work and want something in the next couple of weeks, I'm in.

headchange4u
03-20-2007, 09:22
See this thread for RRG gathering info. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=10369#post10369)

DrGonzo
03-20-2007, 20:34
Hey all, newbie here and I thought this would be a good place to start.
My first question is: What is the minimal weight of your hammock setup (hammock, insulation, tarp, guy lines, stakes, etc.) for a wet, windy, 30 or maybe even 20 degree night?

I got converted to hammocks when my gf brought one back from Greece, now I never want to sleep on the ground again. I understand that a hammock setup will probably weight more than a ground one, but I think its worth the weight. Thanks for your input!

FanaticFringer
03-20-2007, 20:45
Welcome to the site. I've never weighed all of my set-up before. My hammock is a Hennessy Hyperlight which is right at 1 lb. without the tarp. Nice to see another Georgia hanger. Maybe we can get together for a good hanging.:D

Just Jeff
03-21-2007, 06:06
Gonzo - check this page:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

DrGonzo
03-21-2007, 16:26
Thanks for the link, I spent quite a while on your site after I made that post. I think I am just going to read up for a bit on here and get a sense of what everyone is using.

I am trying to get up the guts to do the AT at some point... but its going to be a while from now and I want to get good (good and light) gear and some more miles in before I make an attempt.

FanaticFringer
03-21-2007, 16:30
Thanks for the link, I spent quite a while on your site after I made that post. I think I am just going to read up for a bit on here and get a sense of what everyone is using.

I am trying to get up the guts to do the AT at some point... but its going to be a while from now and I want to get good (good and light) gear and some more miles in before I make an attempt.

If you ever want to check out some of my hammocks and gear just let me know.