PDA

View Full Version : Interest in AZ Group Hang?

Kamper Kurt
07-07-2015, 09:02
I would really like to hang with some other hammockers to see different setups and learn a little more. I have looked over the AZ Trip posts from this year, but most only seem to get a couple replies. So I am curious how many Arizonans we have that would be interested? If you are provide the following:

1. The best month for you between now and the end of the year.
2. How far north or south you are willing to travel.
3. Any preferred areas for where you would like to go.
4. Do you disperse camp or do you need facilities?
5. Vehicle accessibility. (Do you have a high or low clearance vehicle?)

I was thinking August or September would be nice before it starts to get colder.

I do the majority of my camping between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

I often go to West Clear Creek near the junction of the 87 and 260. I like it because there are several ways to get there from the north and south that make it convenient. There are many options within 20 minutes of that junction.
Willard Springs is right off the I-17 near Munn's Park and very easy to find.
Ashurst Lake closer to Flagstaff is also has several large dispersed camping areas.

Above are just a few of many possible suggestions of easier to access areas. I also have several other areas that I like that are more out of the way but you need a high clearance vehicle to get there.

I am interested to see how many people would really be interested. I am a little jealous right now when I see other areas with annual hangs.

Updates in interest:
Me - August to October - North
Randerson - September/October - Rim - Backpack
kwpapke - October - Rim
gsquared - ? - Anywhere
Wildcat AZ - Now to October - Anywhere North - Backpack

SilvrSurfr
07-07-2015, 10:19
If you got 5 people to come I'd call it a successful hang. If you got 10 people, I'd call it a wildly successful group hang!:lol:

There are areas that just don't lend themselves to group hangs. I think Arizona is one of them.

gunner76
07-07-2015, 10:29
I have to agree with SilvrSurfr except there are areas in Arizona where there are lots of trees.

I have organized several group hangs and here is what I recommend. Research the various state parks and national forests ect that have potential to have a group hang at ( may require visiting in person ). Find out how many hangers could you get into each area, facilities, water, restrooms, firewood ect. ( restrooms are very important for getting most women to attend ). Costs if any to rent site. Pick the most promising and schedule a hang sometime in the fall or spring and see how it goes. The first group hang I organized only had 12 people including me and The Terminator.

Randerson
07-07-2015, 11:16
I'd be game. Anytime this fall, September/October would be nice. I typically to prefer to throw everything in the pack and walk in vs. car camping but would do whatever to accommodate group..low clearance vehicle currently but I've taken it places others wouldn't:)
My go to as of late has been up on the Mogollon Rim, around Knoll Lake. Easy 1mile +\- hike from trailhead just off rim road 300. I have an 11 year old son that would join also if kid friendly scenario.

kwpapke
07-07-2015, 11:41
1. The best month for you between now and the end of the year.
2. How far north or south you are willing to travel.
3. Any preferred areas for where you would like to go.
4. Do you disperse camp or do you need facilities?
5. Vehicle accessibility. (Do you have a high or low clearance vehicle?)

1. November
2. Anywhere
3. Mogollon Rim would be nice
4. I'll bring my cathole trowel
5. Jeep Wrangler, accept no substitutes

--Kurt

gsquared
07-08-2015, 15:56
I would definitely be interested. I'm just getting into the Hammock thing, and I'm relatively new to AZ, so I wouldn't be able to recommend any sites, but I would love to do a group hang to learn more.

Kamper Kurt
07-09-2015, 12:26
I have an 11 year old son that would join also if kid friendly scenario.

I would also prefer to keep it family friendly. I will bring a few kids as well.

I will give it until next week to get anymore feedback, then I will send out a few specific dates to select from. After we have the date we can worry about the exact location.

Wildcat AZ
07-09-2015, 20:21
I'm game. The Mog Rim has a lot of good areas for a group hang, in fact I'm headed there tomorrow for a backpacking trip. FR95 and FR139 have good dispersed camping on them and you can get there in a sedan. My preference would be to backpack in, but car camping works too. Might be hard to find a place large enough for a group hang that has facilities. Dogs welcome?

1. Between now and early Oct. (Baby due in early Nov.)
2. Phoenix is the furthest south I'll go.
3. Flagstaff / Williams / Mog Rim / North GC Rim (N. Kaibab NF)
4. I bring my own facilities, I have a cleanwaste toilet with tent I can bring if we car camp.
5. Tacoma 4x4

FJRpilot
07-10-2015, 22:07
Count me in...
1. October
2. Anywhere
3. The Rim or the Blue
4. Either for a group hang.
5. Drive to within 2 mi for a group hang.

clean
07-11-2015, 11:00
I'm down for a family friendly hang.

My vote is for somewhere towards the west end of the Rim. I do not have a 4x4. I'm happy doing anything from car-camping to backpacking.

fagan
07-11-2015, 15:39
I would be interested. Much prefer N. AZ due to weather (don't handle heat well), hang opportunities & scenery. No longer have a truck/high profile vehicle, but that can usually be worked out. Have a tri-pod system so even Lake Powell (no trees) is an option for me. Unfortunately tripod won't apply for hike-in, so ample trees would be a must for that. As several have suggested Mogollon rim/north central AZ has an abundance of areas that are hanger heaven. Anytime.

wolverine43
07-11-2015, 17:30
I would be interested, some where up on the rim out of the heat. anytime. new to hanging, don't have a pack and all, but could make due.

clean
07-11-2015, 21:19
I'm 100000% ok with the woods however we had a great time with our scout troop at the Elks Group Picnic Campground (long, weird name) if people want to have water and bathrooms. It's huge, has trees and you get all 5 acres to yourself for $50/night.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3828715.pdf

FJRpilot
07-11-2015, 21:45
I'm 100000% ok with the woods however we had a great time with our scout troop at the Elks Group Picnic Campground (long, weird name) if people want to have water and bathrooms. It's huge, has trees and you get all 5 acres to yourself for $50/night.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3828715.pdf

Looks good to me..... Groups hangs lend themselves to sites like this... I'll bring the Dutch ovens and volunteer a meal and $10 towards the camp fee...

lchavez
07-11-2015, 21:55
Watching, wouldn't mind hanging with you guys again:)

clean
07-11-2015, 23:08
Downside of the Elks Campground is there are no immediately adjacent trails to hike on. That said, I'm down for alternating between napping and eating for a weekend.

fagan
07-12-2015, 11:25
Looks interesting if several commit. I'm heading up to Colorado & Wyoming for a few weeks here soon so I'll keep lurking to see about finalized dates. If it works out, I will pitch in with funds & food also.

That specific destination looks a little boring but perfect for a social gathering (volleyball & horseshoes anyone?). I'm not familiar with that area but it sounds close to Clints Well/Long Lake so a short vehicle hop could get to some nice hiking/scenery fairly quickly. Appears there may be several newer hangers so a meet & greet along with an equipment display would be neat. Just a reminder open flame restrictions are still in effect in Az. I don't have the ability to transport a gas grill.

Kamper Kurt
07-12-2015, 16:36
Just a reminder open flame restrictions are still in effect in Az. I don't have the ability to transport a gas grill.

Actually I have been camping in the Coconino and Tonto national forests and no fire restrictions are in effect right now.

Kamper Kurt
07-12-2015, 16:51
Ok..that is more than enough. Let's pick the date.
October is the most popular vote, I am already committed to a group backpacking trip the second week of October and would like to space this out by one week.

So let's check everyone's availability for the last two weeks in September and October. Please let us know which weeks you would be available. We will select the most popular week. Once we know who is attending we will finalize the location.
September 18-19 - Yes
September 25-26 - Yes
October 2-3 - Maybe
October 9-10 - No
October 16-17 - Maybe
October 23-24 - Yes

Can't edit first post anymore for some reason.
Updates in interest:
Me - (Oct. 23) August to October - North
Randerson - (Oct. 23) September/October - Rim - Backpack
kwpapke - October - Rim
lchavez - ? - ?
gsquared (Oct. 23) - ? - Anywhere
Wildcat AZ - Now to October - Anywhere North - Backpack
FJRpilot -(Oct. 23) October - Rim -
clean - (Oct. 23) ? - Rim
fagan - ? - Rim or North -
wolverine43 - ? - Rim
arczeneb - (Oct. 23)

clean
07-12-2015, 18:49
Not October 9-11 please

FJRpilot
07-12-2015, 19:05
October 23-24 would be my first choice... I could also make the 16-17....

Randerson
07-12-2015, 20:14
October is wide open for me. I'm in.

fagan
07-12-2015, 22:16
Kamper Kurt, interesting info as I was in Sycamore canyon at a river gathering a week ago & someone was using a charcoal grill. Park ranger came by & informed us no open flame in effect. He was cool about it & let it ride since we were clean & no alcohol (responsible) per his words & he really appreciated us allowing him to throw a few horseshoes, haha.

Pencil me in for whatever is decided and we'll see how it works out. I'm retired but my wife, kids & grandkids are use to imposing upon my schedule impromptu. August is open at this time, I have a couple birthdays in Sept & I know everyone wants to go on a cruise/trip in Oct but I don't know exact dates yet. We'll see how things shake out. If funds are required I'll commit to that within reason regardless.

jasen4_30
07-12-2015, 22:41
I am interested I'll be watching for dates and location. I have to work the first weekend and have another trip planned for the third weekend in October. I would like to see others setup.

arczeneb
07-12-2015, 23:02
Interested depending on location open for the last 2 weeks of October. Just curious last week is Halloween any thoughts on a AZ Halloween hang for family and kids? If Elks is picked with no trails close by one could just head out and explore the unknown. Recommend Thursday for those that have to travel distance. Elks would be a nice family get together and the cost can't be beat. I will keep checking on the final outcome.

Kamper Kurt
07-12-2015, 23:30
Kamper Kurt, interesting info as I was in Sycamore canyon at a river gathering a week ago & someone was using a charcoal grill. Park ranger came by & informed us no open flame in effect. He was cool about it & let it ride since we were clean & no alcohol (responsible) per his words & he really appreciated us allowing him to throw a few horseshoes, haha.

I am glad that the Ranger was nice.

It may be where you were in Sycamore Canyon. Roughly, the northern most portion is in the Kaibab National Forest. The mid-east is in the Coconino National Forest. The majority though I believe is in the Prescott National Forest. The Prescott National forest does have fire restrictions. The area of the rim that I was thinking of is predominantly in the Coconino NF though. I have been camping there all summer specifically because there were no fire restrictions (I was shocked but they got a lot of rain). The Tonto NF just lifted the fire restrictions in the last week or so, that it why I went there this last weekend. I have not been to Kaibab since the fire restrictions went into effect, but I did check online and I believe that the fire restrictions were lifted last week.

So sorry about the confusion, I think that we were just looking at different areas. But one thing that I have learned in AZ, always check before you go because you never know when it might change. Hope to see you there, whenever we actually pick where when and where.

wolverine43
07-13-2015, 01:19
No fire restrictions in the Apache Sitgraves. Flood warnings mabey........
Also end of Oct beginning of Nov. Hopefully wont work for me. Soccer State Finals.

gsquared
07-13-2015, 15:54
I'm interested anytime in September or October.

Kamper Kurt
07-13-2015, 23:52
Ok. Based off the responses let's plan it for October 23 (we can add a day before or after if people want to stay longer).

So far we have:
Kurt - Yes (4-6)
Randerson - Yes (2)
kwpapke - Yes (1)
gsquared - Yes (2)
FJRpilot -Yes (2)
clean - Yes (2)
Songdog - Yes (1)
arczeneb - Yes
wolverine43 - Maybe (1)
lchavez - ???
Wildcat AZ - ???
fagan - ???
jason4_30 - ???

If you plan on coming this weekend, let's move on to the next stage of planning. Remember this will be family friendly. Let us know the following:
1. How may people do you plan to bring?
2. Do you require/want to be near facilities for this gathering?
3. If you do not require facilities, do you require/want to be near your vehicle?

Once we have this feedback we can select the best site for our group.

Randerson
07-14-2015, 00:19
G[QUOTE=Kamper Kurt;1484377]Ok. Based off the responses let's plan it for October 23 (we can add a day before or after if people want to stay longer).

So far we have:
Kurt - Yes
Randerson - Yes
kwpapke - ???
lchavez - ???
gsquared - Yes
Wildcat AZ - ???
FJRpilot -Yes
clean - Yes
fagan - ???
wolverine43 - Maybe
jason4_30 - ???
arczeneb - Yes

If you plan on coming this weekend, let's move on to the next stage of planning. Remember this will be family friendly. Let us know the following:
3. If you do not require facilities, do you require/want to be near your vehicle?

Once we have this feedback we can select the best site for our group.[/QUOT

Randerson:
2 people
No need for facilities
Prefer to hike in/backpack, but game for whatever works best for the group

FJRpilot
07-14-2015, 09:44
FjrPilot : 2 people, facilities would be nice ( so says my boss), if you want to do a group meal, close to the autos. I'm not schlepping a Dutch oven and food for 12+ on my back [emoji12]. If you release me from that responsibility, we're game to hike/pack it in a ways...

kwpapke
07-14-2015, 09:53
Ok. Based off the responses let's plan it for October 23 (we can add a day before or after if people want to stay longer).

So far we have:

kwpapke - ???

Once we have this feedback we can select the best site for our group.

So far that date works for me - I put it on my calendar
1. Just moi
2. Naah
3. Naah

Site suggestion: there is a very nice campsite at the Horton Springs junction of the Highline Trail. 4 mile hike in, and the campsite is right along the stream so we have water access and the sound of the stream running. Here's a panorama of the site:
Lots of space, its pretty clear in the center area so we'd have to hang around the perimeter, which is OK as I've been to hangs before and listening to other's snores are not my favorite part of the event.
I'm sure there will be lots of discussions about sites leading up to the hang, but just wanted to throw this one out there.

clean
07-14-2015, 15:32
1. Me plus son. (There is a 1% chance my wife will join)

2. Nah

3. Nah

clean
07-14-2015, 15:36
Clarification: we are only coming if this is (relatively) family friendly. This was discussed briefly earlier but if people are planning on drinking heavily, hollering profanities late at night or talking about sex and drugs at the campfire then please let me know (pm is fine) and we won't come and I won't judge you. I'd just like to not be in an uncomfortable situation with my kid. Thanks.

Kamper Kurt
07-14-2015, 16:41
Clarification: we are only coming if this is (relatively) family friendly. This was discussed briefly earlier but if people are planning on drinking heavily, hollering profanities late at night or talking about sex and drugs at the campfire then please let me know (pm is fine) and we won't come and I won't judge you. I'd just like to not be in an uncomfortable situation with my kid. Thanks.

Yes, I want all to agree to make this family friendly. I would like to bring my wife and 4 kids, and am also sensitive to the atmosphere. I was hoping that we would not have to say what that means, but I will try. I don't drink or smoke or swear, but realize that others may. So let's be courteous.
1. If you do drink, please keep it minimal...don't get drunk.
2. If you smoke, please step away from the group to do it.
3. No profanity, vulgarity, or dirty jokes.
4. Take the time to stay modest. Don't change out in the open, and if there are no facilities make sure to completely leave camp to use the restroom.
5. etc. If there is something else that someone is sensitive to, please let us know. I can be on my good behavior for 2 days.

6. I think that pets should also be welcome, but please be responsible with them as well. Others may or may not like animals.

songdog
07-14-2015, 18:58
Count me in!
1) Solo
2) I'm not fond of formal campgrounds, but will go where the group goes.
3) I'm not tied to my vehicle either, have backpack will hike.

arczeneb
07-14-2015, 20:07
2) I'm not fond of formal campgrounds, but will go where the group goes.

Agree no late night generators or overly loud folks I say commit as a family hang select the sight those will come. If you plan a pot luck do so we will do the rest. This is only once a year there is plenty of time to backpack. The hangs I've attended has turned into family affairs to include pets just be responsible. Let's not forget the evening fire social. Finally what to do keep that in mind bike, a walk in the woods, lake close by fish, kayak or just lounge around camp swapping tales and checking out all the toys. For me I would arrive on Thursday and willing to pay the extra fee. No secret here I will enjoy a glass of port, blaze my own trail by day for a few miles and walk with my Wheaten terrier.
Before one knows all is over talking AZ hang 2016.

wolverine43
07-15-2015, 01:06
1 solo
2 Naah
3 Depends more on where and food situation
Family friendly is cool im all for that. :thumbup1:

gsquared
07-15-2015, 07:47
I plan to come and will probably bring my son.
Do not need to be near facilities or vehicle.

Kamper Kurt
07-15-2015, 10:37
Okay, still waiting on a final replay from lchavez, Wildcat AZ, fagan, and jason4_30.

It sounds like we have a couple wives that might prefer facilities, but they are willing to backpack as well. We also have a couple that feel that being near the cars might let us cook a better group meal, but are open for anything. We can still wait and see if FJRPilot invests in an ultralight dutch oven :).

So let me throw some possible sights out to vote on.

Group sites:
Coconino NF - the group sites usually close in mid October, but they will leave it open for us if we reserve early.
1. Long Valley (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54926&actid=33) private, lots of trees
2. Elks (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/picnickinginfo/recarea/?recid=54904&actid=71) private, not as many trees
3. Moqui (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54930&actid=33) lots of tees, but 3 separate pods

Dispersed near Car: (We could always tow in a port-a-potty from nearby, but these are large areas where privacy in not difficult.)
1. There are several areas right near the junction of the 260 and 87 in West Clear Creek. Easy to get to and usually private. Lots of trees.

Back packing:
1. Horton Springs (4 miles?) Horton Creek Trail review (http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=62)
2. Near Knoll Lake (1 mile) This Area (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54920&actid=29)

If you have another suggestion let us know.

In this picture the dispersed camping is on the left near 260 and 87. The group sites are a little more north. Knoll Lake is on the far east.

Kurt - Yes (4-6)
Randerson - Yes (2)
kwpapke - Yes (1)
gsquared - Yes (2)
FJRpilot -Yes (2)
clean - Yes (2)
Songdog - Yes (1)
arczeneb - Yes
wolverine43 - Maybe (1)
lchavez - ???
Wildcat AZ - ???
fagan - ???
jason4_30 - ???

kwpapke
07-15-2015, 12:17
<snip>
Back packing:
1. Horton Springs (4 miles? Were you thinking the Horton Creek Trail in Tonto NF? Want to post the correct link for the area.)

Link to HAZ description of Horton Creek trail (http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=62)

Kamper Kurt
07-15-2015, 12:18
Site suggestion: there is a very nice campsite at the Horton Springs junction of the Highline Trail. 4 mile hike in, and the campsite is right along the stream so we have water access and the sound of the stream running. Here's a panorama of the site:
Lots of space, its pretty clear in the center area so we'd have to hang around the perimeter, which is OK as I've been to hangs before and listening to other's snores are not my favorite part of the event.
I'm sure there will be lots of discussions about sites leading up to the hang, but just wanted to throw this one out there.

Looks like a nice site, and having a stream nearby is always good for the kids. Backpacking in also changes the feel of the outing. It's tough though to weigh this against dutch oven cooking and a nice big dinner.

Regardless of where we camp this time around I want to plan to do all 50 miles of the Highline trail either before the end of the year or early spring.

Kamper Kurt
07-16-2015, 23:06
Group sites:
Coconino NF - the group sites usually close in mid October, but they will leave it open for us if we reserve early.
1. Long Valley (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54926&actid=33) private, lots of trees
2. Elks (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/picnickinginfo/recarea/?recid=54904&actid=71) private, not as many trees
3. Moqui (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54930&actid=33) lots of tees, but 3 separate pods

Dispersed near Car:
1. There are several areas right near the junction of the 260 and 87 in West Clear Creek. Easy to get to and usually private. Lots of trees.

Back packing:
1. Horton Springs (4 miles?) Horton Creek Trail review (http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=62)
2. Near Knoll Lake (1 mile) This Area (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=54920&actid=29)

In this picture the dispersed camping is on the left near 260 and 87. The group sites are a little more north. Knoll Lake is on the far east.

It has been almost two days....does no one want to be the first to vote on the location?

Based of suggestions will will count it so far as:
Horton Springs (1)
Knoll Lake (1)
Elks Group Site (1)

clean, on the Elks site you suggested, I have never been there, but on the arial map Long Valley has more trees. It is also closer for those coming from the south.
Randerson, how much time does that FR300 road add to get there? Just wondering if it might be adding an hour on to the trip.

With no additional information I might narrow my selections down to two; Long Valley Group Site or Horton Springs.

arczeneb
07-16-2015, 23:44
Knoll lake---Attractions: Fishing, boating, hiking, sightseeing, wildlife viewing, and photography or any lake.

Long Valley
Specifics: This site, which encompasses approximately 5 acres, is an old Forest Service work center. There are 5 buildings on the grounds which are not made available to the public. There are 3 pedestal grills, a group fire pit, 10 picnic tables. Neither water nor garbage service is provided. Your group must make the necessary arrangements for both. There are vault toilets, but for every 25 people after the 1st 50, the group will need to provide port-a-pots.

clean
07-16-2015, 23:47
I'm down for whatever. I say pick a spot and then whoever goes will be there.

arczeneb
07-16-2015, 23:59
I'm down for whatever. I say pick a spot and then whoever goes will be there.

I agree so all can start planning.

FJRpilot
07-17-2015, 11:43
All sites work for me... Pick one and they will come......

Randerson
07-17-2015, 12:18
It has been almost two days....does no one want to be the first to vote on the location?

Based of suggestions will will count it so far as:
Horton Springs (1)
Knoll Lake (1)
Elks Group Site (1)

clean, on the Elks site you suggested, I have never been there, but on the arial map Long Valley has more trees. It is also closer for those coming from the south.
Randerson, how much time does that FR300 road add to get there? Just wondering if it might be adding an hour on to the trip.

With no additional information I might narrow my selections down to two; Long Valley Group Site or Horton Springs.

Kamper Kurt,
Where I have parked at Abe Haught TH south of Knoll Lake is about 15 miles in on FR 300 from Woods Lake turn-off.

Kamper Kurt
07-17-2015, 15:34
Ok...I will still watch for a few more opinions, but one last question to resolve.
Several people have mentioned staying 2 nights.

Who would stay Thursday night?
Who would stay Friday night?
Who would stay Saturday night?

clean
07-17-2015, 19:25
Friday and Saturday

Randerson
07-17-2015, 19:44
Ok...I will still watch for a few more opinions, but one last question to resolve.
Several people have mentioned staying 2 nights.

Who would stay Thursday night?
Who would stay Friday night?
Who would stay Saturday night?
My job is flexible. fri/Saturday for sure, Thursday if work allows

wolverine43
07-17-2015, 20:38
Friday/Saturday. Thursday if I can get off work. prefer car camp this time as I need an under quilt before a back pack, but will go with the group.
Wasn't there a group hang at a different location last year? what was that place like?

fagan
07-17-2015, 21:31
Agree no late night generators.
How does one get a generator into a hammock?

wolverine43. If I make it, I have an underquilt you can use. May I suggest that as a backup you get something (cheap closed cell ground pad from wallyworld works). Not going to be as comfy as an underquilt but northern az nights even in summer get chilly enough to make a hammock uncomfortable at best, unbearable at worst. If your hammock is dbl layer then solutions are easy. If not, and I come alone, I'll have a spare WB traveller dbl to share also.

Kamper Kurt
07-17-2015, 23:47
Nights people will stay.... October: Thurs. 22, Fri. 23, Sat. 24

Kurt - Yes (4-6) Thursday & Friday
Songdog - Yes (1) Thursday & Friday & Saturday
arczeneb - Yes (1) Thursday & Friday & Saturday
Randerson - Yes (2) ? & Friday & Saturday
FJRpilot -Yes (2) ? & Friday & Saturday
clean - Yes (2) Friday & Saturday
kwpapke - Yes (1)
gsquared - Yes (2)
wolverine43 - Maybe (1) ? & Friday & Saturday
fagan - Maybe (1+) Friday+
lchavez - ?
Wildcat AZ - ?
nojope - ?
jason4_30 - No

arczeneb
07-18-2015, 00:15
Thursday thru Saturday. Car camping I will bring some firewood. Backpacking depending on distance. Waiting for the final decision once site selection is known.

FJRpilot
07-18-2015, 10:02
Definitely Friday and Sat... Maybe Thursday too....

Nojope
07-18-2015, 15:10
I'm definitely interested. August to October, somewhere within 2.5 hours of Phoenix would be nice.

Kamper Kurt
07-18-2015, 23:21
Ok...after much thought I think that the best option is a group site for the first meetup. Then after we know each other we can plan some other outings/backpacking etc. in the future.
I will make the reservation on Monday and then start a new post with the dates and location so that it is easier to identify.

fagan
07-19-2015, 11:54
Ok...after much thought I think that the best option is a group site for the first meetup.

Thank You for your time & effort Kamper Kurt. I may be away for the next week or two & internet access will be questionable. Whatever my obligation, financial or other, pls cover me & I'll make it good.

jasen4_30
07-19-2015, 12:04
I'm going to have to bow out. I've got a trip planned for the prior weekend to Buckskin gulch. Don't think the wife and kids will let me go 2 weekends in a row.

songdog
07-19-2015, 13:05
Whatever location chosen is fine with me. Put me down for 3 nights, Thursday thru Sat.

Kamper Kurt
07-20-2015, 17:51
Ok...I did a comparison of the two group sites and will reserve one of them tomorrow. Both are still available. Here is the comparison.

Both have:
5+ Acres
Group fire pit
Picnic Tables
Vault Toilets

Long Valley
6950 ft
More wooded
25 minutes closer from south

Elks
6500 ft
Water and garbage collection

Both have hikes and water and other attractions nearby. In my mind it comes down to whether or not people want to drive an extra 25 minutes to have the water and trash service. I myself would rather be 25 minutes closer and just bring extra water and haul out my trash.

If anyone disagrees you have until tomorrow to voice your opinion. After that it will be a done deal (Long Valley).

clean
07-20-2015, 20:27
I don't think trash pickup is important and the water is from a trailer (I brought drinking water to Elks). I liked the campsite a lot but farther south is nice. Are there any hiking trails near Long Valley? If so then definitely take it.

wolverine43
07-20-2015, 21:56
Long valley I always pack my trash out and bring water.

FJRpilot
07-20-2015, 22:02
Long Valley.... Trash is not important...

arczeneb
07-20-2015, 23:19
Are there any hiking trails near Long Valley? If so then definitely take it.

Attractions: Group camping, hiking, sightseeing, wildlife viewing, photography

What is hiking a trail or a stroll in the woods which is ok by me.

Facilities: Three pedestal grills, ten picnic tables, group fire pit, vault toilets for groups up to 50 people.

Kamper Kurt
07-21-2015, 12:22
Thanks to everyone for your ideas and support. Official hang thread now available at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/112789-AZ-gt-Mogollon-Rim-gt-Long-Valley-Campground-Group-Hang-gt-October-22-25-2015?p=1488092#post1488092