PDA

View Full Version : NY > Grasse Pond Hike > 7/10 - 7/12

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 09:03
Hi All,

Looks like my hiking buddy is going to pull out of a planned hike/camp this weekend. I'll go alone but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone is interested.

Planning on hiking 1.8 miles on an old truck trail to the Grasse Pond shelter at Grasse Pond just outside Paul Smiths, NY.

I can leave after work on Friday around 3:45pm or Saturday morning. Plan on staying overnight or if people are interested stay until Sunday.

The trail continues around the pond for exploring.

Let me know if you're intense and we can work out the details.

g2outdoors
07-07-2015, 09:45
I can't make it this weekend, but I'm trying to set something up for next weekend. Good luck!

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 11:59
I can't make it this weekend, but I'm trying to set something up for next weekend. Good luck!

I might be able to switch weekends. I'm not look for anything too ambitious at this point. This is kind of a shakedown hike to test my setup/system.

DuctTape
07-07-2015, 12:04
Out of town myself, else I would join you.

g2outdoors
07-07-2015, 12:19
I don't need anything too challenging either. Are you open to doing any fishing or is that not your thing?

12trysomething
07-07-2015, 12:19
Not able this weekend, have fun!

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 12:23
I don't need anything too challenging either. Are you open to doing any fishing or is that not your thing?

I don't fish but I don't mind watching you do it! ;) Catch and release or eat? My friend keeps saying he'll catch a fish and prepare it at camp but he never seems to pull it off!

g2outdoors
07-07-2015, 12:35
Oh I like to keep only enough to eat for dinner. So usually 1 decent size fish per person is all I'll keep.

This was from a weekend trip in Colorado.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T4VY9qlQosg/Ufcohv1HKoI/AAAAAAAAA3s/CVSzvgNXhxg/w932-h699-no/20130727_162550_HDR.jpg

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 12:55
Nice! I'm not sure what there are for fish in Grass Pond. Mountain Pond is down the road but that is catch and release only. Some sort of special strain of trout.

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 16:31
Rob and DuctTape,

Is there anywhere in the 5 Ponds Wilderness Area that is less than a five mile hike (one way) and not too strenuous and ideally on a body of water that g2 could fish on? That's probably asking alot!

And if we move it to next weekend does that appeal to either of you? I know Grass Pond would be a ways for you downstate guys!

DuctTape
07-07-2015, 17:25
The 5 mile max parameter is tough forthe 5 ponds, unless you have a canoe. One can fish the Oswegatchie River, and stay in sites along the high falls trail. Or coming dead creek flow on Cranberry Lake. The eastern side of Cranberry is the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest, and there are sites alongthe lake there too. Th small ponds inland are trout waters, special regulations apply. There is a lean-to at Burntbridge Pond. I havent fished it myself, but it looks fishy.

DuctTape
07-07-2015, 17:26
I am unavailable for the rest of july. Will be in a canoe on Lake Superior.

ADKGuy
07-07-2015, 17:42
The 5 mile max parameter is tough forthe 5 ponds, unless you have a canoe. One can fish the Oswegatchie River, and stay in sites along the high falls trail. Or coming dead creek flow on Cranberry Lake. The eastern side of Cranberry is the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest, and there are sites alongthe lake there too. Th small ponds inland are trout waters, special regulations apply. There is a lean-to at Burntbridge Pond. I havent fished it myself, but it looks fishy.

Thanks! I'll check those areas out.

Have fun on the lake the Chippewa call Gitche Gumee!

Magnum Power
07-07-2015, 18:45
I was in Wanakena today and looked at some trail heads and picked up a map at the store there. Just started looking at that area for a upcoming trip. I was looking at about 10-15 miles for a two or three day trip. Fishing would be a plus if I could get my gear configured to carry a rod. Im sure I could.

g2outdoors
07-08-2015, 12:35
I was in Wanakena today and looked at some trail heads and picked up a map at the store there. Just started looking at that area for a upcoming trip. I was looking at about 10-15 miles for a two or three day trip. Fishing would be a plus if I could get my gear configured to carry a rod. Im sure I could.

Make sure you post a thread or PM me about that 2-3 day trip. If I'm free, I'd love to do that. I've already decided that next year I'm doing the 50 Mile Cranberry Loop.

ADKGuy
07-09-2015, 13:38
Looks like my buddy is in. So, we'll head out tomorrow around 4pm. Then out early in the am.

g2outdoors
07-09-2015, 14:34
Have fun! I'm still looking for somewhere to go next weekend. Magnum Power and I may put something together if it works out. If anyone has any good fishing spots, please let me know!

g2outdoors
07-16-2015, 09:15
Looks like my buddy is in. So, we'll head out tomorrow around 4pm. Then out early in the am.

How'd it go? I'm headed out tomorrow.

ADKGuy
07-16-2015, 17:55
Went well. Made a video about it:

http://youtu.be/ZdkpdwsArD8

Looks like we're headed out again. And will be joined by my friend's 12 year old son. Two nights this time at Sheep Meadow which is off the same trail as this hike.

ADKGuy
07-26-2015, 15:05
Sheep Meadow overnight:

https://youtu.be/ZdkpdwsArD8