PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clip safety

Dutch
10-09-2009, 07:40
The Dutch Clip has lifted over 1300 pounds without bending at all. They are built with overkill for good reason. The retention hook does a good job of keeping the webbing in place. Iafte has an embarassing vid of me falling to the ground from trying to use one without the hook so I know the importance of it. The area that the webbing sits into is design so that the webbing won't slide back and forth esentially sawing your webbing. However the loop that holds your clip will wear and eventially need changed. I'm sure the same thing would happen with a biner or any time you have metal pulling with all your wieght repeatedly. It probably causes less wear than using rope because that can be more abrasive tahn the metal. I have used clips on webbing for over 2 years now and there is a little wear on the loop. It isn't to the point that I am ready to fix it yet and it doesn't happen over night. But it is a good idea to inspect your suspension regularly for wear and one of the first places to wear is the loop. The solution is simple. Cut off the loop and sew another. Also I have the opening on the bottom so gravity is working in your favor.

Hawk-eye
10-09-2009, 07:43
Common sense but good thing to point out Dutch ... by the way ... love the clip!

Perkolady
10-09-2009, 11:00
I've been using the Dutch clips for all my hanging since I got them. I must say, they are truly trust-worthy.

There's something to be said for gear you can just set up and forget, knowing you can trust it and don't need to give it a second thought......

The Dutch clips are definitely worry free! :thumbup:

Bug-Bait
10-09-2009, 11:03
Thanks for the heads up. You are correct that any type of clip/biner could eventually cause wear.

Your clips are great!!!

Agfadoc
10-09-2009, 11:24
I'd like to see the video.. Just for laughs..

RAW
10-09-2009, 12:23
Would some smoothing of the edges help with this you think?
I've wondered about sitting down and slowly grinding/polishing the sharper edges down.

Iafte
10-09-2009, 12:43
I'd like to see the video.. Just for laughs..

Sorry Dutch... Almost made it a year without posting it. :shades:

This happened last year at the NJ winter hang.

sDht0o3fVXs

Dutch
10-09-2009, 13:08
Would some smoothing of the edges help with this you think?
I've wondered about sitting down and slowly grinding/polishing the sharper edges down.
They were polished and what not but more couldn't hurt

Sorry Dutch... Almost made it a year without posting it. :shades:

This happened last year at the NJ winter hang.

sDht0o3fVXs

I'm surprized it went that long before you posted it. Actually that was a pretty graceful fall.

GrizzlyAdams
10-09-2009, 13:14
you were creeping down on the hammock like you expected it to fail.

Just as I do every time I get into one <grin>

thanks for posting that finally Iafte!

Grizz

Iafte
10-09-2009, 13:57
They were polished and what not but more couldn't hurt

I'm surprized it went that long before you posted it. Actually that was a pretty graceful fall.

It was funny that you checked the one side and the other side gave out.

Big D
10-09-2009, 15:25
I am certain that I would not have fallen that gracefully! It would have been ugly, very ugly.

I love my clips. Thanks for taking the lumps for us.

ricegravy
10-11-2009, 17:13
Love the clips. I have 3 pairs of them!

Shug
10-11-2009, 18:30
The clips worked with zest and élan on the Northern Hang II .... just back from that and I got a couple of YouTuber's asking where they can get some.
Prepare for the onslaught!!!!!!!
Shug .... a happy Dutch-Clip-Totin'-Shug

Hooch
10-11-2009, 18:41
Once hangers see Dutch Clips in action, they're usually hooked. I've got Dancer and DevilDoc on them and will be helping John30365 go to Dutch Clips and Whoopie Slings next weekend at the book release party at Mountain Crossings next weekend. I love to see hangers evolve. It's just so much fun! :D

john30563
10-11-2009, 18:41
The clips worked with zest and élan on the Northern Hang II .... just back from that and I got a couple of YouTuber's asking where they can get some.
Prepare for the onslaught!!!!!!!
Shug .... a happy Dutch-Clip-Totin'-Shug

Glad I got mine ordered last night!!!

Hooch
10-11-2009, 18:51
Glad I got mine ordered last night!!!You'll probably have them well before the week's out. Should have them in plenty time to bring 'em with you this weekend. :thumbup:

john30563
10-11-2009, 19:02
You'll probably have them well before the week's out. Should have them in plenty time to bring 'em with you this weekend. :thumbup:

Thats what I am banking on!! I should be ready to get the Hooch suspension graduate school course on Saturday afternoon!!

Hooch
10-11-2009, 19:22
I should be ready to get the Hooch suspension graduate school course on Saturday afternoon!!Just make sure we upgrade your suspension before the festivities begin. Otherwise your suspension upgrade will probably wind up all kinds of FUBAR. :scared::D

firecaptain53
10-11-2009, 19:22
Just a nubie question, does the open end face up or down or does it matter? It seems that with the open end down it would be more likely to slip out or am I looking it this all wrong?

Hooch
10-11-2009, 19:27
Just a nubie question, does the open end face up or down or does it matter? It seems that with the open end down it would be more likely to slip out or am I looking it this all wrong?IMO, it doesn't matter too much since Dutch had the wonderful presene of mind to add the retention hook to the clip. Personally, I hang mine so that the open end is down.

oldgringo
10-11-2009, 19:30
IMO, it doesn't matter too much since Dutch had the wonderful presene of mind to add the retention hook to the clip. Personally, I hang mine so that the open end is down.

That makes sense to me...seems like you would want the weight of the clip to help hold it in position. I know, it doesn't weigh much, but it's still heavier than webbing.

john30563
10-11-2009, 19:31
Just make sure we upgrade your suspension before the festivities begin. Otherwise your suspension upgrade will probably wind up all kinds of FUBAR. :scared::D

My current goal is to be there around 3ish. We aren't staying the night though. But I will want to hang my newly suspended rig, so don't go too far up the trail for your spot. I have to work that morning, but should be home around 1:30 and leaving very shortly afterward, about a 40 minute drive.

Hooch
10-11-2009, 20:34
My current goal is to be there around 3ish. We aren't staying the night though. But I will want to hang my newly suspended rig, so don't go too far up the trail for your spot. I have to work that morning, but should be home around 1:30 and leaving very shortly afterward, about a 40 minute drive.Yeah, we'll probably be there around 2 or 3. See ya there!

Any of the NC area hammockers want to ride down to Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap) with us for Winton Porter's book release party on Saturday? Staying overnight and hanging hammocks on the grounds at MTX. :thumbup:

Hetairoi
10-11-2009, 21:01
IMO, it doesn't matter too much since Dutch had the wonderful presene of mind to add the retention hook to the clip. Personally, I hang mine so that the open end is down.

I hang open end up because .... well, it's shaped like a horseshoe and I'm superstitious. Yeah, I know, silly, but I can't do anything about it.

Hooch
10-11-2009, 21:07
I hang open end up because .... well, it's shaped like a horseshoe and I'm superstitious. Yeah, I know, silly, but I can't do anything about it.That is the best rationale for anything ever in the history of the world. :D