PDA

View Full Version : Small backpacker needs hammock recommendation

ctay122
07-21-2015, 10:31
Hello, I am thinking about switching to a hammock after several years of backpacking with a tent and there are so many brands on the market. I am a female and only 5"2" and weigh 110 lbs so I am looking for something that is obviously light and secondly will match my small frame so I am not engulfed and lost in one. Would like to stay under $300 for the hammock only not counting the under/overquilt/bug net. Any recommendations appreciated.

Red Cinema
07-21-2015, 11:10
All sorts of things will depend on your personal preferences--the stock advice here is to find a group hang and try things out--but to get you started I suggest you consider a 1.1/oz fabric. Since you mention quilts and weight consider a single layer. Some prefer integrated bug net, others use a bug net that can be left home when there are no bugs. As you mention your height you would appear to need a 10" hammock (maybe others your height could comment about going to 9.5?). Take a peek at our cottage vendors, review their offerings online. The Hammeck Netty, a Dutchware Half-Wit, Warbonnet Blackbird, a Dreamware hammock...and beyond. Many hours of research await here here and on cottage vendor web sites. Enjoy!

pgibson
07-21-2015, 11:23
One of our Beginner Hammock kits might suite you well...we could sub a 9' for the regular 11'

All the parts and pieces to hang in one box. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c17/Hammocks_%26_Hammock_Kits.html

soul embrace
07-21-2015, 11:58
I'm 5' even but weigh a lot more than you and I have had an ENO DN which is 9.5' I think not counting the suspension, a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro (not sure the length on it), and not a 11' Dutch hammock. I really like the 11' a lot and it's the only hammock I use now. I never had a 10' one so can't comment on it

Country Roads
07-21-2015, 15:47
I am just over 5 feet (a whole 1/2 inch). I use 9 foot to 10 foot hammocks. I like mine around 57 to 60 inches wide. Any wider and they just seem too much.
My first hammock was a Blackbird 1.1 double; nice flat lie. I also use a Blackbird 1.1 single. You can modify them and reduce the weight by around 3 ounces (I use lighter shock cord, replaced the ridgeline with something lighter, etc).
My go-to hammock of late has been a home made, 9' 3" long, 58 wide, 1.1 nylon, single layer with Amsteel 7/64 continuous loops. I put a partial bug net on it, put on side pull outs and did "Knotty Mods" on the foot end. With a strap suspension (10' Kevlar straps and cinch buckles with a continuous loop and Dutch whoopie hooks), it weighs 15 ounces total in the stuff sack.
I agree that going to a group hang is a nice way to try out lots of different hammocks & it also takes out a lot of the learning curve. Doing "research" is way fun!

dkurfiss
07-21-2015, 16:43
I am just down the road from you in Sterling, VA (by Dulles Airport). I have a Dutch 11', a Hennessy Deluxe, a Hennessy Expedition, and a DIY table cloth. I am also female and while I am heavier than you we are about the same height. I find any and all of the above to be comfortable for me.

I would be happy to get together with you and let you try out any or all of what I have. Just PM me if you want.

IRONFISH45
07-21-2015, 16:57
You need, in my opinion, to try before you buy. I am about your height, I have found getting out of many of the gathered end hammocks difficult. I do best with the ultra light hammocks, they are easy for me to get out of.

I have a couple of hammocks I really like, however, I can not get out of them easily, if I had tried before I purchased, I would have realized the problem.

I suggest you try both gathered end and bridge hammocks. Both have positive points, I like my bridge because I am able to see more than just the sky. I found the bridge tippy for the first 60 seconds, once my brain figured out I would not tip out I was very comfortable.

You might want to consider having something custom made for you, however, first you need to know what "FITS" YOU THE BEST. Do remember as your experience grows your taste changes. This is sort of an addictive way of life? Hobby? Sport????

ctay122
07-21-2015, 20:40
Thank you Deb. I may take you up on it at a later time. It seems I need to do some research. This will help. And thanks to everyone for the replies.

lazy river road
07-21-2015, 21:32
My wife is 4' 11'' 105 (no one better tell her I shared that) and her favorite hammock is the WBRR. However that is no where near light. Her second favorite hammock is a WBBB 1.1 dbl (only dbl cause I use it more then she does and a single won't hold me but certainly would hold you) and she is plenty comfy and has never complained about "swiming in material". As for getting out of the hammock (re Deb post) she did mention that's it's much easier getting out of a bridge then the gathered ends. She said it's easier to get her feet over the hammock and settle herself down to the ground. I had never thought about that before u till Deb mentioned it and I asked my wife. Happy hanging.

hutzelbein
07-22-2015, 10:46
I also don't think that "being lost" in a hammock is an issue. However, carrying more weight than neccessary is. I'm 5'4" and I love my 10' WBBB. I have longer hammocks (up to ~12'), but I only use them at home. For me, length is less important than fabric stretch (I have never been able to be comfortable in stretchy hammocks - I could make them 15' long and it wouldn't matter) and design. The WBBB design works particularly well for me.

If you go with a shorter hammock, you could potentially go with a shorter tarp, too. Both will save you weight. Alternatively, a hammock tarp with a regular 11' ridgeline will obviously give more coverage to a 10' or especially a 9' hammock than an 11' hammock.

Snuggly_Jason
07-22-2015, 17:21
Everyone here will have their bias towards a certain brand. Mine would be DD Hammocks. I am also short (5'4") and find the Frontline XL not only exceptional in build quality and function, but the 10' length with about a 20-30 degree hang gives me a perfect set up for laying on my side as long as I have a neck pillow or some other form of small soft pillow. It is not exactly light though, but I wouldn't call it heavy either. You could try their superlight range of products, and they are even running a combo deal that gets you a very nice setup.

This right here gets you an all-in-one solution for under $250 http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_combo_deal

hutzelbein
07-23-2015, 02:22
I am also short (5'4") and find the Frontline XL not only exceptional in build quality and function, but the 10' length with about a 20-30 degree hang gives me a perfect set up for laying on my side as long as I have a neck pillow or some other form of small soft pillow.

Just to avoid possible disappointment from potential other DD buyers: DDs are not 10' but only ~8.9' (2,70m). Check out DD's hammock chart (http://www.ddhammocks.com/about/chart) to get all the specs. Their hammocks are not bad, but pretty heavy for their length.

Snuggly_Jason
07-23-2015, 10:01
Just to avoid possible disappointment from potential other DD buyers: DDs are not 10' but only ~8.9' (2,70m). Check out DD's hammock chart (http://www.ddhammocks.com/about/chart) to get all the specs. Their hammocks are not bad, but pretty heavy for their length.

My Frontline XL is most definitely 3m long (9'10") You are correct though that almost all their hammocks are 9' long. Some would consider this an advantage, as it allows better coverage in a 10x10 tarp if you chose to use a porch configuration. Most other hammocks would require a diagonal setup, and my opinion of that is it sucks because you don't have a dry work space and a spot for firewood when it rains.

Helium33
07-23-2015, 10:10
Hello, I am thinking about switching to a hammock after several years of backpacking with a tent and there are so many brands on the market. I am a female and only 5"2" and weigh 110 lbs so I am looking for something that is obviously light and secondly will match my small frame so I am not engulfed and lost in one. Would like to stay under $300 for the hammock only not counting the under/overquilt/bug net. Any recommendations appreciated.
I would contact Dutch. He makes some great gear . ALWAYS GIVES THE BEST ADVICE. Check out the dutchware half-wit. It's an amazing hammock.

hutzelbein
07-23-2015, 11:05
My Frontline XL is most definitely 3m long (9'10") You are correct though that almost all their hammocks are 9' long. Some would consider this an advantage, as it allows better coverage in a 10x10 tarp if you chose to use a porch configuration. Most other hammocks would require a diagonal setup, and my opinion of that is it sucks because you don't have a dry work space and a spot for firewood when it rains.

Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't know DD made hammocks this long. Mine definitely is a short one. If only they weren't this heavy...

Snuggly_Jason
07-23-2015, 11:07
Thanks, that's interesting. I didn't know DD made hammocks this long. Mine definitely is a short one. If only they weren't this heavy...

I don't really think of the weight. I usually carry about a 30lb pack though. Not including food/water

hutzelbein
07-23-2015, 12:03
I don't really think of the weight. I usually carry about a 30lb pack though. Not including food/water

Me, too - but with a hammock half that heavy :(

geneaut
07-24-2015, 09:24
Hammock size/width/length can be a fairly unspecific discussion with a variety of responses.

I bought a cheap Amazon 9 foot long by 4 foot wide hammock to test if a small hammock like that could be comfortable to overnight in while backpacking. It was less than $20 so I wasn't afraid I'd be out much if I didn't like it, and I also knew I could give it to my 11 year old daughter. I'm 6' and 250lbs so I was worried about what I would find.

What I discovered was that for me I could sleep fine in it. It's not as nice as my 11'x6', but as I've said before it is still far more comfortable than the ground. Getting comfy was doable, and staying comfy was as well. It packs down to not much larger than a can of peaches. This was just some generic hammock not made from any special fabric.

I will probably replicate those dimensions into a DIY hammock dedicated for backpacking made from some of the material the vendors around here have developed specifically for hammocks. That should allow me to add some of the mods that HF members have come up with to improve hammock comfort or usability ( footboxes, Knotty mods, etc ).

captaincoupal
07-24-2015, 10:10
I have a soft place in my heart for the Hennessy Hammock line of hammocks, so here goes - you'd probably fit well in a Hennessy Scout, and it's really inexpensive. Here's a link to the product (http://hennessyhammock.com/products/scout-zip), and the nice thing is that it's pretty much everything that you need, hammock, bugnet, tarp - all in one package. You may want to customize it with the hex tarp to give yourself a little bit of privacy, but if that's less of a concern you can get the entire package for $100.