PDA

View Full Version : New Speer Products

FanaticFringer
05-14-2007, 15:16
Just saw that they have on their site now the new SnugFit Underquilt(s)
and 8'x10' Cat Tarp.

www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

Coffee
05-14-2007, 15:25
I couldn't find a pic one his site of any of the new products. Anyone have a link to one other than the photo's posted here from the SEHHA campout?

At $339 his new underquilt is a little too pricey for my taste. Probibly well worth the money though. I'm guessing the higher cost comes from the increased production time vs other quilts.

headchange4u
05-14-2007, 15:27
Wow. 339.00. I didn't htink they would cost that much. 10% off until May 31 though....

headchange4u
05-14-2007, 15:28
Some pics here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/SEHHA%20%20April%2007/).

I don't see anything about colors. Are they any cheaper at Trail Days?

FanaticFringer
05-14-2007, 15:29
He might want to put up pictures of them soon....real soon.

Hooch
05-14-2007, 15:55
Just saw that they have on their site now the new SnugFit Underquilt(s)
and 8'x10' Cat Tarp.

www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

Ed was holding out on us at the SEHHA Hangout. :mad: He didn't say a word about the Cat cut tarp. Or did I just miss it after I turned in far too early each night? Then again, the man turns out great gear and you have to understand trade secrets. :p :D

Jazilla
05-15-2007, 12:36
I would like to see pictures of a tarp with two ridgelines

headchange4u
05-15-2007, 13:37
2 ridge lines? It see where it says it has 2 ridge line tie outs (one on each end) but I don't see anything about 2 ridge lines.

I am going to add some side tie outs to my tarp to pull it away from the hammock some.

headchange4u
05-15-2007, 14:45
Just a little info that I found out from Ed Speer. The Snug Fit UQ's are forest green on the outside with a gray lining. Good for stealth camping.

Just Jeff
05-15-2007, 16:19
I think one of Dave's models at a SEHHA campout had a middle tie-out on the long sides...probably just carried that over.

slowhike
05-15-2007, 18:40
I am going to add some side tie outs to my tarp to pull it away from the hammock some.

i made a note that you asked me to take pictures & post them of the pull-out tabs on the side of my tarp... but i never did:o sorry.
i really like the way they make the tarp so roomy. ...tim

slowhike
05-15-2007, 18:46
this shows the tie outs in action, but i'll try to get a shot of how the tie-out loops are reinforced.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9030063.JPG
i'll make some slight changes in where i place them on the next tarp though. slightly lower & slightly farther apart.
the idea came from the ray way tarp.

lvleph
05-16-2007, 06:32
this shows the tie outs in action, but i'll try to get a shot of how the tie-out loops are reinforced.
i'll make some slight changes in where i place them on the next tarp though. slightly lower & slightly farther apart.
the idea came from the ray way tarp.

I was about to say that Ray Jardine does that on his Beaked Tarp. I never ended up putting them on my Beaked Tarp, but I don't even use that tarp any more. However, I have it for when I finally get around to doing the PCT and CDT (but only for the portions where one cannot hammock).

slowhike
05-16-2007, 06:42
i used the ray way, beaked tarp for well over a year on my hammock. works well & the beaks can help w/ blowing rain.

Ramble On
05-16-2007, 07:00
I am very curious about the new Speer Tarp.

If I don't hear from Brian soon about the 2 MacCats I need (its been 2 weeks) then I'll prolly go with this new Spear Tarp.

Has anyone actually seen it yet? or is Trail Days the big unveiling?

NCPatrick
05-16-2007, 07:25
I am very curious about the new Speer Tarp.

If I don't hear from Brian soon about the 2 MacCats I need (its been 2 weeks) then I'll prolly go with this new Spear Tarp.

Has anyone actually seen it yet? or is Trail Days the big unveiling?

I think TD is the unveiling for the Speer Cat Tarp. The cat tarp KIT won't be available for a couple of weeks, according to Ed.

Ramble On
05-16-2007, 07:51
I think TD is the unveiling for the Speer Cat Tarp. The cat tarp KIT won't be available for a couple of weeks, according to Ed.

Yeah, I'm sure after this weekend we will know everything...

Looking at Ed's web page it looks like the cat tarps are available now (non-kits). Though I could be mistaken.

My sewing machine needs a tune up anyway, its over 30 years old, lol.

headchange4u
05-16-2007, 08:43
i made a note that you asked me to take pictures & post them of the pull-out tabs on the side of my tarp... but i never did:o sorry.
i really like the way they make the tarp so roomy. ...tim

You are the reason I want to add them. They really do give you a lot more room under the tarp. My Cloudburst2 has some round reinforcements with pull tabs that you use to tie the tent out. I would like to find something like that.

I'm in no hurry for pics tim. whenever you get a chance. I have enough projects to keep me going.

Jazilla
05-16-2007, 12:41
2 ridge lines? It see where it says it has 2 ridge line tie outs (one on each end) but I don't see anything about 2 ridge lines.

Like Tee Dee said there are two ties missing. I just assumed two ridge lines cause I read through it fast and the math didn't add up. I don't guess anyone has seen it. Wonder if it is like slowhikes 8 ties?

headchange4u
05-16-2007, 15:10
slowhike's has a lot more than 8 tie out points. More like 16 or 18 counting the ridge line. he can tell you for sure

slowhike
05-16-2007, 16:20
slowhike's has a lot more than 8 tie out points. More like 16 or 18 counting the ridge line. he can tell you for sure

oh boy... i'd have to go pull the tarp out of it's skin to be sure... or think really hard:eek:
that tarp is an experiment of sorts. in addition to the normal 2 ridge line tie outs & the 4 corners, it also has 2 extra tie outs on each side (bottom edge) & 2 side pull-outs on each side (middle).
also there is an extra seam on each side w/ extra tie outs for adding a side wall.

headchange4u
05-16-2007, 17:12
Side wall? Did you ever try that out?

slowhike
05-16-2007, 18:46
Side wall? Did you ever try that out?

no, i never did:o , but i still plan to. it'll be the length of the tarp & probably 3-4' wide.
the extra seam is about one foot from the edge & has 4 attachment points on the top side & 4 matching attachment points on the bottom side. i may add a slight cat curve between attachment points on the wall.
the wall could be attached on the underside for the shingle effect. the cat curves plus the attachments would leave a good size gap for ventilation.
or the wall could be attached on the top side in hard wind to shed the wind & rain over top of the tarp.

gunn parker
05-21-2007, 22:11
Hi
Does anyone know if there are any actual photos of this new tarp? or seen one?
I have inquired about postage to Australia but I'd like to see one or hear anything about how good they are.
Thanks

slowhike
05-21-2007, 22:21
Hi
I have inquired about postage to Australia but I'd like to see one or hear anything about how good they are.
Thanks

ed had one in use at trail days. i slept under it two nights, but i misplaced my camera & didn't get a single picture.
i don't see any pictures of it on his web site yet. maybe soon.

slowhike
06-06-2007, 10:28
ed has up dated his site w/ photos & info on the snug fit.
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm )

headchange4u
06-06-2007, 10:52
Hi
Thanks

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=16471&postcount=22

ed has up dated his site w/ photos & info on the snug fit.
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm )

Nice pics.

I had been meaning to post some pics of my new Snug Fit. I wanted to get a pic of the SF next to a JRB quilt for size comparison. I was surprised how big it was. It didn't seem that big when I used it at the last SEHHA. It's a really nice quilt.

My wife even said that she would go hammock camping with me if she got to use the SF under quilt. She thinks that staying warm in a hammock is gonna be hard for her and that's why she has avoided using a hammock for so long.. She saw the Snug Fit and it dispelled any reservations she may have had.

Ewker
06-06-2007, 11:15
if I was going to buy one it would probably be from Speer or maybe BB's QU. I just think Speer's is to expensive for me.

I have yet to hang when it is cold so I have no idea how low I can go temp wise with a CCF pad and the DAM 7 pad.

Bug-Bait
06-06-2007, 12:23
if I was going to buy one it would probably be from Speer or maybe BB's QU. I just think Speer's is to expensive for me.

I have yet to hang when it is cold so I have no idea how low I can go temp wise with a CCF pad and the DAM 7 pad.

I asked on another thread...can one use the Snug fit in the summer by venting it in some fashion??
MQ

headchange4u
06-06-2007, 13:32
I haven't got to play with mine much yet but I'm sure you can loosen the suspension to create an air gap between the hammock and the UQ. I hope to have a chance of getting to spend some time with it in the next few days. I will let you know then;).

Ewker
06-06-2007, 14:22
I asked on another thread...can one use the Snug fit in the summer by venting it in some fashion??
MQ

I wouldn't think a person would even need an underquilt in the summer

Bug-Bait
06-06-2007, 14:44

You are probably right...but, just in case the temps dropped...
I'm just trying to figure out a solution for at least three seasons without buying lots of different things.
MQ

blackbishop351
06-06-2007, 16:35

It depends on what the rest of your setup looks like. If you're a guy who likes to use a sleeping bag all year and just add a UQ for colder weather, no you won't need more than that in the summer. I personally like to have nothing on top in warm weather, but have found the need for a little something underneath when overnight temps have gotten below 65-65* or so.