PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan

kool327
07-30-2015, 07:31
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I'm from Grand Rapids, MI and recently got back into backpack camping after a 40 year absence. My ideal type of camping is roughing it. No camp grounds, no camping near the car, just carrying what I have in a pack and pitching a tent or tarp off trail. Oh sure, over the years I've pitched the Hotel Eureka at camp grounds with my family so I haven't been completely out of the woods. But that's just not my idea of roughing it. I like a challenge. During my last backpacking trip with my son two weeks ago I pitched a 25 year old 2 man Eureka tent and a 30 year old US Army WWII China knockoff hammock that I used during my National Guard days. My son planned on using the hammock for the first night but the mosquito netting tore when he unzipped after testing it out. I repaired it for the night with some duct tape. Anyway now I'm looking for a new hang because old OD Green has seen better days. In my search for a new hammock I stumbled onto this forum and I'm glad I did. You have a great forum here. I've learned a lot from all y'all since signing on and I'm even considering a DIY project in the future. Thanks for being here, being you, and please wish me a bit of luck in my search for a new hammock. Take care and thanks!

John

punkisdead
07-30-2015, 07:37
Welcome from Hudsonville.

Scoutmaster1056
07-30-2015, 07:44
Welcome from Muskegon!

michigandave
07-30-2015, 07:48
Welcome from Clarkston, in the hills of northern Oakland County. Enjoy the forums! Lots of great information here and if you're looking for gear, our cottage vendors are top notch!

OneClick
07-30-2015, 14:28
Welcome! I like the old tent talk...here's an old canvas tent from ~1950 my dad hung on to from his dad. We still put it up when hunting around Grayling. Not sure why, but probably mostly due to the sentimental value it holds. But my hammock is set up back in the piney woods!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89379576/HF/circus_tent.jpg

Yes...a blue poly tarp as a tabletop, brown tarp for rain cover, cheap booze, a promotional Gatorade cooler...hey we're from Indiana :)

boulderv7
07-30-2015, 17:52
Well welcome from a fellow grand rapidian!!!

kool327
07-30-2015, 20:01
Nice campsite. And there's nothing wrong with using family heirlooms for sentimental reasons, or being from Indiana. In fact I lived in Fort Wayne for a spell. :)

OneClick
07-31-2015, 08:12
Nice campsite. And there's nothing wrong with using family heirlooms for sentimental reasons, or being from Indiana. In fact I lived in Fort Wayne for a spell. :)

Yeah I know, always fun to joke about especially with my family in MI :)

Rekoob
07-31-2015, 08:32
Welcome to the site from VA.

Good luck with your search, I'm right there with you. :)

punkisdead
07-31-2015, 08:48
Yeah I know, always fun to joke about especially with my family in MI :)

Could be worse...you could be from Ohio. :D

kool327
07-31-2015, 15:55
Thanks. Good luck with your search. I pulled the trigger on a used hennessy hyperlite and will be testing it out on the NCT this weekend.

Dux
08-03-2015, 16:32
Welcome in!!

UnoGear
08-03-2015, 16:43
Welcome ... Come to NY for a visit have lots of mountains and trails for your hiking pleasure..

BackpackerGuy
08-03-2015, 19:49
Welcome, from Hudsonville! Try to come to the Fall Hang this October, in Yankee Springs.