PDA

View Full Version : Good work!

Kanguru
10-15-2009, 20:10
Just got my tarp purchased from our own sclittlefield.

http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/

Very nicely made from what feels like quality silnylon. I got the 11x10 Hex, although he says this one is more like 11x11. I haven't measured it. Weight was as quoted at 14 oz. He says he is not going to market these heavily but if you are looking for a lower cost alternative and to support another one of friends on the forum I would certainly give my recommendation.

spinkid
10-15-2009, 20:52
Kanguru, I second you on his work!! I got mine a few weeks back and used it last weekend (cat-cut version). It poured almost all night long. Bone dry in the AM and that was a fantastic feeling. He does some darn good work. This was honestly one of the few online custom purchases that I am 100% satisfied and amazed with.

poker88
10-15-2009, 21:03
I'm going to third this. I got one of his extended tarps a few weeks ago. I've only had the chance to use it once but it rained that night and the tarp was great!

john30563
10-15-2009, 21:12
Good looking tarps. I would love to have one that I can fold the doors in on. How do all y'all keep that many guy lines in order? Mine always seem to be in a huge mess when my tarp comes out of my stuff sack.

Kanguru
10-16-2009, 09:25
Good looking tarps. I would love to have one that I can fold the doors in on. How do all y'all keep that many guy lines in order? Mine always seem to be in a huge mess when my tarp comes out of my stuff sack.

I tie mine up in a "hank" like an extension cord as I am taking it down. Takes only a few seconds each. Ed Speer sells some "no tangle' line. I haven't tried it...the line that the Jacks sell is pretty tangle friendly. Their self tensioning lines sets are nice. I have seen guys with tarps that have sewn short lengths of velcro at the corners for binding up the lines after winding around their hands into a "hank". In fact I may try the velcro corners myself on this one. And finally I have seen small mesh bags with velcro closures sewn into corners. IMHO it is about as fast to hank them as it is to fiddle with the other techniques. Especially with cold hands.

Kanguru
10-16-2009, 09:26
I'm going to third this. I got one of his extended tarps a few weeks ago. I've only had the chance to use it once but it rained that night and the tarp was great!

I think that extended 11x10 would be really nice for bad weather.

sclittlefield
10-16-2009, 15:15
Hey everyone, thanks very much for the kind words. I can't tell you how encouraging you are.

The tarps have gone through a couple slight modifications over the past month. They now sport D-rings on all tie-outs with heavier nylon webbing loops. There are a couple possible additions coming soon that have been inspired by customer questions.

The Backwoods Daydreamer (www.backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com) website is still a long way from completion so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions either here or in email.

Thanks,
Scott

BlackGoat
10-16-2009, 15:22

I don't have a Backwoods Daydreamer tarp yet, but on my current OES tarp I just wind the guylines around the grosgain, between the d-ring and the tarp material. It only takes a few seconds and keeps them from getting tangled up. It is also very easy and quick to unwind them.

Dg

spinkid
10-16-2009, 16:01
I just wrapped my lines around my hand and then tied that off. No big deal to do even with the lines soaked. I have an 11x10 version and it has 2 ridge tieouts an 4 tieouts per side for a total of 10. The flexibility for closing off the ends was priceless. It takes some trial and error to get the best height when closing the ends, but that will be a mute point with practice.

Kanguru
10-16-2009, 18:34
I don't have a Backwoods Daydreamer tarp yet, but on my current OES tarp I just wind the guylines around the grosgain, between the d-ring and the tarp material. It only takes a few seconds and keeps them from getting tangled up. It is also very easy and quick to unwind them.

Dg

Wow...I like that...Thanks for the good idea! That should work really well with Scotts tarp since the d-rings are on webbing about 1 1/2 inches long. Would be really easy to sew some velcro on there too.

Kanguru
10-16-2009, 18:37
There are a couple possible additions coming soon that have been inspired by customer questions.

Perhaps a Grizz style end enclosure for the 11x10 hex??? That would be a good project for me I suppose to learn how to sew sil. That stuff is a big pain. I don't see how you do such a nice job with it.

sir_n0thing
10-17-2009, 17:43
Wow, everything on the site looks juicy, but that Winter Dream tarp has me salivating!

beep
10-17-2009, 21:37
I've already put in my request for a Winter Dream tarp! I'm looking forward to getting it.:):)

ltruelove
10-18-2009, 07:06
I should be receiving my 11x10 four seasons tarp on wednesday. I am new to hammocking and this will be my first tarp but I'm pretty OCD and have been researhing on hf for like 3 months. For the price I think the four seasons or winter dream is a incredible deal. I was going to try my hand at making my own tarp but I am really glad to be able to support a guy like Scott with his venture. He was extremely helpful and informative and even when I had mentioned that I might build one myself, he offered to share his designs and offer advice on the build. I will post again upon receipt of my four seasons tarp. I can't wait!

Kanguru
10-18-2009, 12:03
Went for an overnighter and had about an inch of snow. 11x10 hex was good coverage although not really designed for blowing snow. I think I will try some Grizz style end covers for the winter. Overall the tarp seems strong even with the snow load it was fine.

gargoyle
10-18-2009, 13:31
You should have enough tarp to fold the corners in as doors.

ltruelove
10-18-2009, 14:35
his 11 x10 hex is shaped more like a maccat. the four seasons or the winter dream have the door potential.

opie
10-18-2009, 19:55
I received my 11x10 yesterday. Very nice work indeed.