PDA

View Full Version : Hangups about flatness of lay before purchasing Blackbird XLC

noahyahi
08-07-2015, 12:33
First post! Hi Hammockers, Campers and Tramps - I have a question for ya:

I've been sleeping in a Grand Trunk Parachute Double https://grandtrunk.com/shop/parachute-nylon-hammocks/ and am waking up with some back pain from (what I think is) the curvature of my spine as I sleep. When I first lie down I am VERY comfortable and fall asleep easily, but then wake up with a sore back.

The GT is a 10'6" gathered-end hammock. I try to lie as diagonal as possible but I'm still not FLAT.

Thinking of making the switch to full-time hammocking and upgrading to the BlackBird XLC. Will I achieve a flatter lay in this hammock? It's only 6" longer than the GT.

Also, will my back get used to the curvature, and is this initial soreness normal for a switch to hammocking? If so, is that healthy (over the long term) for my back?)

Thoughts? Thanks guys and girls!

Noah

jbmundy
08-07-2015, 12:52
I would think that you want to play with the hang angle a bit to see if you can achieve a flatter lay with the gt double. Unless you are very tall I would think a 10'6" hammock should get you fairly flat. Maybe you have it drawn too tight. A picture if it strung up could help identify problems

lxzndr
08-07-2015, 13:01
do you have a ridgeline on your hammock? Shug has a new video all about it if you do not.
Ridgeline video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrfBrIEH2-U&list=PLB8752777861C2AA8&index=12)
If you do have one, you may to change the length to help get a flatter lay.

Floridahanger
08-07-2015, 13:21
A hammock will not lay flat as a mattress does. The material is not as stiff, but that is what makes it more comfortable to me. The hammock conforms to me and supports every square inch of my back.

You shouldn't be sore or have to "get used" to any soreness or pain. Pics could help, but go to a group hang where you can get other eyes on the problem to help you out.

Good luck.

OutandBack
08-07-2015, 13:22
Hi Noah, It sounds like the material is a bit too stretchy and over time not providing the proper back support.

noahyahi
08-07-2015, 13:47
Thanks for the responses.

Here's a pic of the hang-angle I've been using. Too tight.. eh?

I am NOT using a ridgeline. Watched Shug's video and I understand the concept now. I'm going to Cottonwood pass this weekend and I'll try it and report back.

pgibson
08-07-2015, 14:10
Any tight. For a hammock like that you will want set up with a good deal more sag.

bananachunks
08-07-2015, 14:38
Something else to think about: The Grand Trunk hammocks look like they're made from the same template ENO, Yukon, and the like, use. I'm willing to bet that the given length of 10'6" is from 'biner to 'biner, and that the hammock itself is actually 9'4" (112"). It seems a lot of people don't realize this. Take this into consideration when adding the ridgeline.

Foxpoop
08-07-2015, 15:01
Something else to think about: The Grand Trunk hammocks look like they're made from the same template ENO, Yukon, and the like, use. I'm willing to bet that the given length of 10'6" is from 'biner to 'biner, and that the hammock itself is actually 9'4" (112"). It seems a lot of people don't realize this. Take this into consideration when adding the ridgeline.

This is so true. GT hammocks are always shorter than advertised. Stretch yours out and measure the total length of fabric. Make your RL around 83% of that length to start.

Bla1z3
08-07-2015, 18:25
I have just switched to a bridge hammock by v_Allen and its the flattest lay I have been in.

Shug
08-07-2015, 18:30
Hammocks always restore my back. You may like a longer hammock than the GT.
Hope you find what you want and need. It takes a few tries.
Shug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jU8mzz3xJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3VZ8KtsYs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsGdsTUTAU

hanginyaker
08-07-2015, 22:35
How far apart are your attachment points? If to far apart the attachment height might be hard to achieve. Try trees spaced a little closer together.

SilvrSurfr
08-07-2015, 22:59
Thanks for the responses.

Here's a pic of the hang-angle I've been using. Too tight.. eh?

I am NOT using a ridgeline. Watched Shug's video and I understand the concept now. I'm going to Cottonwood pass this weekend and I'll try it and report back.

Oofah:(. That's a brutal pitch. While we usually aim for a 30* angle, you look like you're more at 15 degrees. That's gotta hurt, lying in that hammock!

I would first of all recommend an adjustable hammock ridgeline (I like 1.75 mm Zing-It). It's just a whoopie sling made of Zing-It. Start at 83% of the hammock length and dial in from there. A hammock ridgeline insures a consistent lay even when the anchor locations aren't optimal.

Shug
08-08-2015, 10:20
Here is a pretty flat lay......
Shug

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/311/19778230874_cc4a4ee1f7_c.jpg

bkrgi
08-08-2015, 17:15
^^^ I think Shug has found a new Green Bean/Pod .....:)

Phantom Grappler
08-10-2015, 05:11
While at your local hang ask to try several 11 foot gathered end hammocks. Hopefully they will be set with 83percent (about) hammock ridge lines. I think you will notice the difference. Be prepared to remove sharp items from your pockets and also remove your boots when trying someone's hammock, with their permission. Good luck.

Phantom Grappler
08-10-2015, 05:13
Also ask the Hammockers at the hang about left or right lay and laying on the diagonal.

WalksIn2Trees
08-10-2015, 13:43
Yep that's too tight, The thing about the sag is, it lets you lie on the angle because the sides can flex, which lets you adjust your lay just by changing the angle you lie at. Also note that the hammock use probably isn't the cause of your back issues. when my hammock was set up too tight when i first started out, it was the tendons behind my knees that gave me trouble. My back was supported just fine because my center of gravity is my hips, but that meant my legs were at an awkward angle. But for instance, if you're coughing a lot from allergies, or a summer cold that can make your lower back muscles sore

Caminante
08-10-2015, 14:14
I found my "short" ENO DN very comfortable right out of the stuff sack, but after I took the adjustable ridgeline advice from this forum I found that I was pitching it way too tight. Mine measured 112", so I adjusted my zing it ridgeline to 93" which introduced a lot more sag than I thought proper, but boy was it more comfy than my initial hangs. It seems counterintuitive, but I found more sag mo' better (to a point).

Helium33
08-11-2015, 12:29
The GT double was a previous hammock I owned . It was only comfortable at an hour at a time. I have a wbbb xlc and it is very comfy.

Gideon
08-12-2015, 21:04
Gideon's rule of "3 or more"; as others have said, check angle and do the finger test. Lying in the hammock reach up and try to "bend" the ridgeline. You should be able to bend it but if its super tight and you can barely bend it up, then the angle on your suspension is too shallow. Next, is it an adjustable ridgeline or fixed; if it's fixed no worries. Hammock width "and" length; an extra few inches in width or length can make a more significant difference than you might think. Finally, some hammocks just don't feel as good as others even when all other things are equal. Finally, you do have to get used to it. I sleep on my side in a bed so when I head to the woods and sleep in a hammock it's different and not everyone has a heavenly, miraculous sleep in a hammock! On my worst nights it's still better than being in a tent, on the ground, on a pad. I think the single bigest factor is the angle of your hammock suspension. Good luck figuring it all out!

Gideon

rustyjanes
08-12-2015, 21:06
The blackbird is extremely reputable as a camping hammock but if you're thinking of going full time at home you might be better served by a brazillian hammock made of cotton.

Usadave
08-13-2015, 10:39
A cold back is a sore back. Make sure to use an underquilt