PDA

View Full Version : MacCat Ultra

oscar74
10-16-2009, 12:34
Would this tarp work with a WBB to allow for 4 season use? The coverage area seems quite large according to the dimensions shown on the OES website, and I am thinking that the addition of some tieouts would allow for the ends to be closed off during cold and or extreme rain periods.
Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with one and could offer feedback.

angrysparrow
10-16-2009, 12:43
I've used a MacCat Ultra and a homemade Blackcat of the same approximate dimensions for the last two winters and have been very pleased. As long as you pay attention to where you set up, and take advantage of natural windbreaks where they exist a MacCat can do nicely in the winter.

The winter tarps with doors are very nice, but not strictly necessary.

oscar74
10-16-2009, 12:56
Thanks.

I would assume the same setup (natural windbreaks) would hold true for hard rain storms, in terms of keeping spray off the hammock - or perhaps going lower to the ground?

angrysparrow
10-16-2009, 13:00
Thanks.

I would assume the same setup (natural windbreaks) would hold true for hard rain storms, in terms of keeping spray off the hammock - or perhaps going lower to the ground?

Absolutely. Hanging lower is a great technique for cutting wind from underneath.

Also, if you hike with either a poncho or a rain jacket you can rig it to act as a tarp beak when needed. Grizz had a great post here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=58556&postcount=43) showing the method.

Ekul
10-16-2009, 13:03
Thanks.

Ive been through several down pores and my Maccat standard kept my HHULBP and me dry to the bone. 20mph winds. It can be pitched so taunt water just roles off it.

This will be my first winter under a sil tarp and Ive yet to noticed any misting. Although, if I touch the underside of the tarp while raining I do notice some moisture.

BlackGoat
10-16-2009, 13:05
I use the OES delux in winter and feel it is adequate given you pick a decent site like angrysparrow says. The Ultra would definitely give a bit more coverage and should give you a few more options.

I have been looking at the Winter Dream Back woods Day Dreamer Tarps thinking that the design and the extra tieouts would make it a great tarp to go with my WBB and it should allow you to close the ends up like doors for the truely nasty stuff. Especially the price he has them at.
http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm (http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm)

DG

animalcontrol
10-16-2009, 14:53
The ultra didn't work for me as a winter tarp.
the ridgeline is plenty long enough, but the sides (total of 104") didn't give enough side coverage, IMO
the deluxe and the ultra have the same side coverage, the ultra just has a long ridge length (according to the OES website)
I switched to a 10x11 for winter use and found it better for my needs