PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on pak-it-lit fob?

Whyhave5
08-11-2015, 11:41
So I'm new to hanging and have a trip with friends the 3rd week of November planned. I'm getting older and getting off the ground is becoming a priority.

Temps will be high 40s-low50s with lows down to 20's.

Doing enough research to realize that doing this cheaply is going to be tough.

I then ran into camphammocks.com and saw the fob system. I contacted them and he confirms I will be more than fine with that setup. At $295 it seems like a good deal.

Anyone have experience? I saw some posts a while back here but thought I'd ask again

Thanks.

Comet_Seeker
08-11-2015, 12:14
I think if you do a search for the Pak-it-lite in HF threads there are a few out there

Pheonix6579
08-11-2015, 12:41
FFIW, I have no experience with the system but just looking at the system and the video I would go a different route. Here is why...

1. Tree straps: to promote healthy tree health you need to use at least 1in-2in webbing for around the trees. Thus insures that the tree id left just as health as when you found it. Rope cuts into the bark and can leave tree vulnerable.

2. The hammock:one of the joys of hammock camping for me is the ability to sit in my hammock and enjoy nature and not feel so closed in. This hammock shuts out pretty much all your views. But that is a picky thing i guess.

3. Tarp: For a system that you want to go down in lower temps I would want a tarp that gave me full coverage, no matter rain, shine, or snow

3. The System. It seems pretty thought out...maybe a bit over thought out, which is how I feel about the SMR Nube'.

OK now I have given you what I thought, here is what I would suggest. Check out The Warbonnet BlackBird XLC (Double layer) and Super fly tarp. The combo will run you $340. But it will give you a super comfortable hammock with great views along with bug protection, the storage shelf and a nice pocket to put the pad in and keep it secure. along with the cinch buckle suspension that will give you ease of adjustment and protect the trees. The super fly will give you plenty of room while also give you coverage from wind, when you want it, and rain even in heavy storms you can stay dry with doors that go all the way to the ground to block out rain from all directions.

if you have any questions about this system just drop me a PM if I can help. Welcome to hammock camping!

hutzelbein
08-12-2015, 05:43
I don't have one either; I might get one in the future, because I'm an addict. If I ever buy one, I would go for the "ultralight" model, and I would not get the rain fly. I don't see how the rain fly could give me anything my hammock tarp can't, and with 1 lbs 12 oz it's pretty heavy - not even my WB Superfly weighs that much.

What you should be aware of before ordering is, that you probably won't be able to use the hammock with an underquilt. It's designed to be used with a pad. It actually only might be really comfortable with a pad, similar to the Exped Ergo or Amok Draumr.

Also, the way this hammock has to be hung means that you put a lot of stress on the trees. You probably won't be able to exchange the stock suspension for something non-PIL. Whoopies definitely don't work. Cinch buckles might not either.

dakotaross
08-12-2015, 07:51
+1 on most of what Pheonix6579 is saying, though it looks like they do use straps. Its a little funny that they use the amsteel for suspension, and then they use ridiculously thick rope for the ridgeline. Speaking of ridgeline, its 8', which equates to a usable hammock length of less than 10' typically. I'm sure its not 11.5' as indicated on the site, but might be longer than 10' and perhaps that works with the pad-friendly design to get a flat lay. Also, the tarp has more than plenty of coverage for rain, but no doors to block wind. And although the site says to use a hiking pole to prop the tarp up, it sure looks taller than any hiking pole I've used in the pics. Looks more like a tent pole to me.

All in all, not a bad product, but I would want more of a discount for the heavy materials used. Paying for a bit of overengineering for sure, but its not the worst design like that I've seen. Seems pretty practical if you want a hammock setup that is more like a tent. For me, I don't want a tent, I want to be sheltered from rain and wind with the option to shelter from bugs as needed, I want to be comfortable and off the ground, but I don't want to be couped up like a tent. And if I'm carrying it, I don't want my setup to weigh 5 lbs, that's for sure. My definitely not ultralight setup is half of that. Summer setup is a quarter of that.

cjayflo
08-12-2015, 09:03
If you want a relatively cheap system to start off with I suggest you look at DD. My wife and my brother still use my Frontline. Super easy set up and bomber construction. Yes there are other hammocks and different ways to hang but the most important thing is to just get out there.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_combo_deal

Shawker
08-30-2015, 20:48
I am a new owner of the F.O.B. I am retiring my Clark jungle hammoc after 12 years.. I am impressed so far, I would rate it a 10/10 on weather resistance (it just weathered a freak storm here in WA state with 75mph wind and pouring rain and it remained bone dry), as for comfort 8.5/10 (with my thermarest pad), as for weight 6/10 as it is a bit heavy, but you can replace the rainfly with a much lighter fabric and reduce the weight by about 12oz ( the rain fly it comes with is super heavy duty..) as for ease of set up I can't say enough, it is super fast and easy 10/10, this is a big one that can be easily over looked but in the cold rain and wind the last thing I want is to be fumbling with my hammoc.

Whiskeyjack
09-01-2015, 08:59
It's an interesting design, but I must say, it was painful to watch a hammock manufacturer tie rope around a tree for suspension. He should know better.

TZ75man
09-01-2015, 10:31
The suspension system is no longer a rope. If you watch the entire video, Tony shows the new suspension system which is quick and easy to set up. As for the rainfly coverage, I've had mine set up for almost a year thru many thunderstorms and high winds and it's never failed to keep my hammock dry. As for using an UQ, I've slept in mine down to minus 7* with a wind chill of 25 below with just a Ridgerest Solar pad and stayed warm. Tony is working on a UQ for his hammocks for those who dont like pads.

mychal
09-05-2015, 20:55
The suspension system is no longer a rope. If you watch the entire video, Tony shows the new suspension system which is quick and easy to set up. As for the rainfly coverage, I've had mine set up for almost a year thru many thunderstorms and high winds and it's never failed to keep my hammock dry. As for using an UQ, I've slept in mine down to minus 7* with a wind chill of 25 below with just a Ridgerest Solar pad and stayed warm. Tony is working on a UQ for his hammocks for those who dont like pads.
It's claims like that last one that make me lose all faith in this. Using a 3.5 R-value pad at that temp means the hammock is made out of unicorn feathers.

ylnfrt
09-05-2015, 23:27
Unicorn feathers- that's coffee thru the nose funny. Can't drink and read anymore- boss's orders.

Time to Hang
09-08-2015, 21:23
It's claims like that last one that make me lose all faith in this. Using a 3.5 R-value pad at that temp means the hammock is made out of unicorn feathers.

I have a Pak it lite Scout, so it's not a direct comparison and I only have a Therm-a-Rest SOLite sleeping pad, I only had a poncho liner top quilt, but 50 * with a 50* dewpoint was too cold for me ! Where can I buy some Unicorn Feathers ! All kidding aside, no matter how tight or loose I hang it(yes, I have the cheater line), I get a hyper extended knee and a lot of shoulder squeeze. I have very wide shoulders so I could be just me.
It's well made though and could be just right for some ! and I'd still like to lay in an FOB.
Good luck, Hang Safe n keep your charcoal dry !

fallkniven
09-09-2015, 17:17
....I've slept in mine down to minus 7* with a wind chill of 25 below with just a Ridgerest Solar pad and stayed warm....

Yeah, I think there may be a typo there too, or I'm looking at the wrong pad. I just don't understand how that could be true. -7*F is pretty chilly, and to be warm with such a thin pad, I'm having my doubts.

TZ75man
09-10-2015, 09:47
Ok, first I was replying about the use of a pad instead of an underquilt. I didn't go thru my entire set up as I was referencing to the fact I didn't get CBS when using the pad at those temps. I also used the military modular sleep system without the bivi cover. I also used the pockets along the sides of the pads which come with the hammock. I stuffed those with a small lightweight fleece blanket in each pocket. While you don't lay on those pockets, it does help insulate around you. I also have a poncho liner draped over the hammock: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/fuzz2moe/photo30_zpsc7ac7061.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/fuzz2moe/media/photo30_zpsc7ac7061.jpg.html) and then I took a cheap Walmart twin size comforter, ran shock cord down each side and paracord across each end, put the ends thru barrel locks and strapped it over the hammock:http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/fuzz2moe/photo35_zpsd6d7c896.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/fuzz2moe/media/photo35_zpsd6d7c896.jpg.html)

This helps me retain heat inside the hammock. I also use a small battery operated 5" fan to help with condensation. When it was 7* below zero, that was the first time I had noticeable condensation in the hammock. I only wear a T shirt, sweat pants and socks when in the hammock. Really sucked taking my coat off to climb in lol.

fallkniven
09-10-2015, 11:42
So there was a lot more to your setup than a small pad and a sleeping bag. We knew something more had to be there. Don't want anyone inexperienced to think that all they need is a small pad for winter.

theseakayaker
09-30-2015, 12:11
So there was a lot more to your setup than a small pad and a sleeping bag. We knew something more had to be there. Don't want anyone inexperienced to think that all they need is a small pad for winter.

When you look at TZ75man's photos, take into consideration he is covering the hammock from the top. He has done this to trap more heat from escaping the top of the hammock. Where you will loose more heat is from what is coming up through the bottom of the hammock. Using a good quality foam pad, not one from Walmart, it will retain 98% of the body heat that can escape from the bottom of the hammock. And yes, the claim of my hammocks being tested to -2º is not a falsehood. This was done using a Ridge Rest CC pad with a sleeping bag rated below zero.
An underquilt can be used with my system that would take it into temps well into the sub zero range. I hope to have underquilts that match the signature hang of my hammocks soon. It will lock into the hammock ends in the same way the fly does and cover the hammock from end to end.

FYI - The Snow Blind was tested to temps to 5º. The forecast had called for snow but that never happened. With the new Full Coverage fly the temp inside the hammock, with only a CC pad and sleeping bag, was 54º. But then I also had an unexpected guest show up on the side of the mountain who camped out with me (see photos)116838116840116839

theseakayaker
09-30-2015, 13:01
Hey Shawker, Let me know when you get the silnylon fly. Set it up and test it out for me. All the test I did look promising but long term, in the field testing, will prove more results. And, please, send me some photos! Thanks!

theseakayaker
10-03-2015, 18:00
+1 on most of what Pheonix6579 is saying, though it looks like they do use straps. Its a little funny that they use the amsteel for suspension, and then they use ridiculously thick rope for the ridgeline. Speaking of ridgeline, its 8', which equates to a usable hammock length of less than 10' typically. I'm sure its not 11.5' as indicated on the site, but might be longer than 10' and perhaps that works with the pad-friendly design to get a flat lay. Also, the tarp has more than plenty of coverage for rain, but no doors to block wind. And although the site says to use a hiking pole to prop the tarp up, it sure looks taller than any hiking pole I've used in the pics. Looks more like a tent pole to me.

All in all, not a bad product, but I would want more of a discount for the heavy materials used. Paying for a bit of overengineering for sure, but its not the worst design like that I've seen. Seems pretty practical if you want a hammock setup that is more like a tent. For me, I don't want a tent, I want to be sheltered from rain and wind with the option to shelter from bugs as needed, I want to be comfortable and off the ground, but I don't want to be couped up like a tent. And if I'm carrying it, I don't want my setup to weigh 5 lbs, that's for sure. My definitely not ultralight setup is half of that. Summer setup is a quarter of that.

Hey dakotaross,

I see you are in Chamblee. I am over in Woodstock. Any time you want to stop by and try out one of my hammocks to see how they feel and work, let me know. I'll set one up for you and it will answer a lot of your concerns. I'm not sure what you were speaking of with the "ridiculously thick rope for the ridgeline". The ridgeline of my hammocks is sewn in. If you are speaking of the cheater line, this is not the ridgelnine of the hammock but a tool used to help hang the Scout and Lightfoot Scout, which have no fixed ridgeline. What is shown on the current video is the older support system, which is no longer used. The new support system does not require the cheater line for the F.O.B or ReconMN. To make hanging the Scout or Lightfoot Scout easier (not having to figure the 30 deg rule), the cheater line is needed. I hope to have the new video out soon showing how to set the hammock up with the new support system.
Again, feel free to come by and try one out to see how it really works.

theseakayaker
10-03-2015, 18:11
I have a Pak it lite Scout, so it's not a direct comparison and I only have a Therm-a-Rest SOLite sleeping pad, I only had a poncho liner top quilt, but 50 * with a 50* dewpoint was too cold for me ! Where can I buy some Unicorn Feathers ! All kidding aside, no matter how tight or loose I hang it(yes, I have the cheater line), I get a hyper extended knee and a lot of shoulder squeeze. I have very wide shoulders so I could be just me.
It's well made though and could be just right for some ! and I'd still like to lay in an FOB.
Good luck, Hang Safe n keep your charcoal dry !

I'm not sure if you got my last email. The hyper extension in your knee may be from how you are hanging the hammock. If you are using a webbing support system and your trees are too far apart, no matter how tight you hang the hammock it will still sag out of the signature hang of the design. Here is a photo of your hammock before I shipped it out to you. This is how it should hang when properly set up. If your still will not hang right, let me know and I will fix the problem.117039

WanderingBob
10-06-2015, 12:17
Seems a bit overkill. I like the minimal coverage I get from hammocking vs. being enclosed in a tent hanging between two trees. You can get a good setup for significantly less than that.

Time to Hang
10-11-2015, 15:40
I'm not sure if you got my last email. The hyper extension in your knee may be from how you are hanging the hammock. If you are using a webbing support system and your trees are too far apart, no matter how tight you hang the hammock it will still sag out of the signature hang of the design. Here is a photo of your hammock before I shipped it out to you. This is how it should hang when properly set up. If your still will not hang right, let me know and I will fix the problem.117039

I've had the head end short/longer, really didn't make much difference. In this picture, I've probably got it a little too tight by looking at the sides. But it was strung between a metal stand.

SemperFiGuy
10-11-2015, 21:16
So I'm new to hanging and have a trip with friends the 3rd week of November planned. I'm getting older and getting off the ground is becoming a priority.

Temps will be high 40s-low50s with lows down to 20's.

Doing enough research to realize that doing this cheaply is going to be tough.

I then ran into camphammocks.com and saw the fob system. I contacted them and he confirms I will be more than fine with that setup. At $295 it seems like a good deal.

Anyone have experience? I saw some posts a while back here but thought I'd ask again

Thanks.

Hey Whyhave5,

Glad to meet you and glad you're joining the ranks of us hangers. Welcome aboard. As you are probably finding out................. If you ask for an opinion, you're certainly going to get one. So far you've gotten a whole bunch. :) All good and all informative.

One thing you'll notice as a common theme on this forum is a philosophy that says "Hang your Own Hang". Simply stated, in the end, do what you feel is going to work for you.

I must admit that I was not familiar with the Pak-It-Lite FOB, but I did go out and research it and if that's the one you've had your eye on, I don't think you'll be disappointed. After all, you have no basis for comparison. Your stated goal is getting into this addiction with as little cost as possible and staying warm when you go on your upcoming adventure. I think if you spend the $295, you'll have met your goals and you'll have a kit you can be proud of.

Like many on here, Hutzelbein included, we love to buy and evaluate new systems. I too may buy one of these Pak-It-Lite hammocks at some point. I have Hennessey's, Warbonnet's, Dream Hammocks, and an Amok Hammock. Not to mention a couple of Dutchware Hammocks. Sooner or later I'll probably have the FOB.

Getting back to the point, if and when you get your FOB, you'll have one final expenditure to make on top of your $295 and that will be a pad that will do the trick. You can go inexpensively and get a Walmart closed cell foam pad, or you can go for an R-6 Exped Synmat 9 LW, that will be sure to keep you warm in the coldest of temperatures. What you end up getting will come down to economics and personal preference.

If you were to get one of the other hammocks recommended, ie., the Warbonnet XLC with Warbonnet Superfly (tarp), or whatever, you're still faced with insulation as an add-on, so just know that whatever kit you get, you'll still have at least one more expenditure, whether it be a pad, or UQ (and maybe a TQ), etc......... The additional value of this forum is there is a whole section devoted to insulation.

Arrowhead Equipment makes a kit for the "Journeyman" that provides you with everything you need. Again, it's a matter of what comes with the kit. That particular kit is pretty complete.

If you were asking me ???? I'd say go with your gut and the Pak-It-Lite FOB, have a blast, and let us know how you make out, so that Hutzelbein and I can then go out and get ours. :)

Please keep us posted..................... and Hike your own hike..... Or hang your own hang........ or................

All the best !
Gil

Rekoob
10-12-2015, 10:22
^^^ well stated. I've been following this thread from the start, and @SemperFiGuy really puts it all together.

I teach all the MSF course and when asked about what motorcycle to get I tell them to sit on anything they can and when that "feels" good look for something that catches your eye.

Hammocks are pretty much the same, so many out there that you might as well go with the one that catches your eye. If that's the FOB, go for it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

theseakayaker
10-13-2015, 22:15
I've had the head end short/longer, really didn't make much difference. In this picture, I've probably got it a little too tight by looking at the sides. But it was strung between a metal stand.

Looking at your photo I was wonder why the side of your hammock was so high. Almost over the top of the hammock. It shouldn't be that high. Then I noticed that your pad and the pocket it goes in is up on the side of the hammock. This mean you are not laying on top of the pad.
You do understand that you are supposed to be laying on the diagonal of the hammock, right? In the photo it looks like your have your head and feet in line with the support axis of the hammock and not on the diagonal. Put your head in one corner and your feet in the other.
Take another look at the photo of your hammock I posted and compare yours to it. You will see what I mean.

Time to Hang
10-14-2015, 20:26
I think it looks like that because it was too tight. I know your supposed to lay on top of it, or on a diagonal :laugh:

theseakayaker
10-14-2015, 22:37
I think it looks like that because it was too tight. I know your supposed to lay on top of it, or on a diagonal :laugh:

It is hanging like that because you are laying on the far left side of the hammock and not over the CC foam pad. If when you hang it and it rolls you over to that side, yes, it's too tight. Take a look at this photo. You should be able to lay your head on the right side of the hammock with your feet on the left side. The cheater line should only be about 8.5 feet long. 117704

I also notice you did some modifications to it by painting the fabric. This shouldn't effect the hang but I don't know what the chemicals in the paint will do to the fabric in the long term.

Time to Hang
10-16-2015, 16:59
It is hanging like that because you are laying on the far left side of the hammock and not over the CC foam pad. If when you hang it and it rolls you over to that side, yes, it's too tight. Take a look at this photo. You should be able to lay your head on the right side of the hammock with your feet on the left side. The cheater line should only be about 8.5 feet long. 117704

I also notice you did some modifications to it by painting the fabric. This shouldn't effect the hang but I don't know what the chemicals in the paint will do to the fabric in the long term.

I don't know what you're looking at, but I never painted anything or made any modifications. If you want to see it, send me a shipping tag and I'll be happy to send it back for you're inspection. As I stated in the PM I sent you, the photo wasn't a representation of a perfect lay. Just got in and my wife snapped a shot, not real scientific. It was more to show how high the sides are when it's hung @ the length listed for on your web site.....8' 6" I don't hang it that tight normally. You seem to have taken some offense as I am attacking you're product; I am not....I have been very respectful and commented on its quality construction. It is what it is, some things don't fit everyone and this appears to be the case here.

I have hung that thing at many different lengths and they were all measured exactly and I used an adjustable ridge line. It's better looser, but more knee hyperextension the looser it gets. No biggie, I just use a pillow under my knee.

J

Time to Hang
10-18-2015, 12:51
Whyhave5, I would like to apologize to you for apparently hi jacking your thread. I didn't mean to do that at all, just offered my 2cts. If time allows I may do an in depth review of my(unpainted) Pak it lite scout. Lots of pictures and measurements. And who knows, If someone wants to try it out, maybe we can start a hammock loaner program ! :scared:

J.

Jammer817
10-18-2015, 16:35
Just in general, to save money I would say to skip the UQ and go with a few ccf pas. I was surprised how warm they kept me before I got my UQ. 1 ccf got me down to 40.

theseakayaker
10-18-2015, 21:40
Whyhave5, I would like to apologize to you for apparently hi jacking your thread. I didn't mean to do that at all, just offered my 2cts. If time allows I may do an in depth review of my(unpainted) Pak it lite scout. Lots of pictures and measurements. And who knows, If someone wants to try it out, maybe we can start a hammock loaner program ! :scared:

J.

Sorry for the confusion but looking at the photo the hammock appears to be coyote tan and not its normal OD color. Maybe it was just the exposure on the camera making it look that way.

theseakayaker
10-25-2015, 11:19
Seems a bit overkill. I like the minimal coverage I get from hammocking vs. being enclosed in a tent hanging between two trees. You can get a good setup for significantly less than that.

Some folks prefer having a top enclosure to keep out bugs and progress into winter hammock camping. While the Scout is more of a hybrid 3 season hammock, since it has the bed pockets, the F.O.B will retain much more heat for cold weather camping. The overkill would be if you are only using the F.O.B for warm, humid, weather but that is the purpose for the ReconMN, Scout and Lightfoot Scout.