PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet Blackbirds vs. Hennessey Hammocks

SCGobbler
08-13-2015, 18:40
I am really new to hammock camping and I really wished I had shopped around here first before buying my Hennessey full price.

Anyway, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

They seem really similar other than the shelf and footbox.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Roche
08-13-2015, 18:49
The folks who own a Hennessy will like a Hennessy. The folks who own a Warbonnet will like a Warbonnet.

It's a Chevy / Ford or Coke / Pepsi or chunky peanutbutter / creamy peanutbutter type of thing.

jdr724
08-13-2015, 18:59
What about it do you regret vs the XLC?

How many nights have you spent in the Hennessey? Did you sleep well?

Rolloff
08-13-2015, 19:31
HH tends to run a bit short and narrow on many models. The Explorer seems to be the most comfortable for many in that order.

They are solid units, albeit a bit heavy and once you actually compare price points, costly as well. As with many mass marketed hammocks, you can expect to and have to figure in the cost of upgrading suspensions, and in HH case tarp as well. The stock diamond allows for minimal coverage, the upgraded HH Hex is better but Poly coated and heavier than need be.

IMHO you cannot fairly compare handmade cottage goods with anything mass produces these days. The WBBB is longer, wider, more comfortable, and while not the lightest, it stacks up pretty well against the HH. They come with proper suspensions, and ANY tarp from them will be better made and much lighter than most similar HH offerings.

gunner76
08-13-2015, 20:13
I own a HH and BB among lots of other hammocks. I am 6ft2 and 275 lbs and find my HH too small for someone my size and I don't like the feel of the fabric. I know some folks love them and if they like the HH and it works for them then thats all that counts. Personally I prefer my BB 1.1; 1.7 dl's or my EnvyS as I find them very comfortable. My wife use to use a BB 1.0 DL ( no longer made ) but now uses a Ridge Runner.

I really like the footbox and the self in my BB's.

Get a BB and if you like it better, sell the HH. If not then sell the BB ( I might even buy if the price is right :lol: )

Gruxxx
08-13-2015, 20:24
I like my Blackbird's shelf and footbox and strap/biner suspension. The HH ropes are a pain to get adjusted, IMO.

Redfish
08-13-2015, 20:24
I can't speak to the Hennesy, BUT, my WB XLC is the single best piece of camping equipment I've ever had.

Shug
08-13-2015, 20:25
Here is a bit more detail on the Warbonnet XLC.......
Shug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jU8mzz3xJk

HillbillyHanger
08-14-2015, 07:55
I'll offer a noob perspective. I now own both hammocks. I've only been hanging about 3 years. I didn't know anything about hammocks or this forum. A friend recommended the Hennessy. I bought the Explorer Deluxe. I'm only 5'9 so the hammock has plenty of room. I have only experienced calf ridge in this hammock when I hang it too tight and too straight. If I hang it at approximately the 30 degree angles and have a fairly loose ridgeline, it's comfortable. I have maintained the factory suspension. I did order some longer 1" tree straps as the trees here in the SouthEast tend to run larger than the stock 4' straps will accommodate.
I recently acquired an XLC and have used it on one 6 night outing. Why did I buy it: The Explorer is single layer. I volunteer at Summer camp and I got tired of the mosquito bites through the bottom (yes, I could have used permetherin but I don't even like to take aspirins). So, I ordered a DL 1.1 XLC. I really like the shelf. Also, the footbox offered another pleasant surprise. About 10 years ago, I broke my right foot and they put a long screw in it to repair. After about 3 hours of sleep in the Hennessy, my right foot would cramp. I didn't have a lot of pressure on it, but it was enough that I would wake up, reposition and then go back to sleep. I didn't experience this in the XLC and I'm attributing it to the extra netting of the footbox. Netting tended to lay on top of my foot rather than against it. I got the cinch buckles and it is faster to adjust. No doubt about that. It did take me about 2 nights to learn to adjust the XLC. I hang the foot on my Explorer about 8 inches higher than the head end. On the XLC, I found the most comfortable to be almost 12-15 inches higher. I have Whoopie slings on my Lite Owl and I'll probably conver the XLC. The cinch buckles are okay (I might put them on my Lite Owl for the Winter) but I"ll probably convert the XLC to Whoopies or maybe the Hammock Anchors.

jwallick
08-14-2015, 09:33
I love my WBBB and wouldn't give it up for the world, however I more than likely would be just as happy with an Eno or one of Dutch's offerings or a homemade tablecloth hammock. There are weeks that I spend 3-4 nights in my hammock. I will probably purchase or make one for the purpose of home sleeping sooner or later.

If you never slept in a hammock then try something cheap to see if it works for you. You'll get a better idea what everyone is talking about when referencing angle of hang and sleeping across the hammock. It seems that not everyone adapts easily to a hammock.

Every one of the "cottage" systems have unique attributes, some are gimmicks and some are useful, but probably in the end you'll figure out how to use whatever you buy and get a good nights sleep if you take the time to research and apply the information.

I hang out here silently for the most part because like you I'm fairly new to this. When I read about something that makes sense, I try it. Even with my lack of experience, I can tell you that I took to the hammock right away and realize that its not the brand that makes the difference, its my willingness to experiment.

Once you have a feel for it, Roche said it best about it being a Ford/Chevy thing. Figure out what features would be useful to you.

BananaHammock
08-14-2015, 10:09
I have tried both and I prefer my warbonnet. The HH was too hot due to the thicker material and they also lose their value immediately if you buy it new. It seems a $220 hammock is worth like $125. The tarps are so small that they require a very tight fit and if you get a bottom entry it is very awkward with an uq. The warbonnet however holds its value really well and has a better design imo. The footbox helps you naturally find the right lay and the shelf holds everything you need and more. in the night I never have trouble finding my water or light or phone. The xlc is nice as well because you can modify it for each trip (net, no net, top cover). I did go through the same dilemma as you when I was starting out and after having a few hammocks and still owning a handful, I always pack up the blackbird for my trips.

Canoefor2
08-14-2015, 10:12
I have the HH Explorer delux and the WB BB XLC Double and like them both. I bought the WB as it was double layered and allowed for the use of a under pad. However, I now have a Hammock Gear under quilt and still use both. Note I have switched out the suspension to buckle on the HH.

captaincoupal
08-14-2015, 10:23
I understand that a lot of folks really really like the WBBB, and I'm guessing that the footbox is a big part of it. I'd only suggest a couple of things that the Hennessy Hammock has going for it:

1. It's a complete system, and as such works pretty well and is fairly simple and easy to use.
2. The Super Shelter is actually a pretty good way to get down in temperature (3 seasons, at least) without spending a lot of $$ on an underquilt.

I have both the Hennessy system as well as a VERY roomy BIAS hammock with a HG underquilt and tarp. I enjoy both systems, but really continue to appreciate the simplicity of the integrated system from HH.

BananaHammock
08-15-2015, 02:08
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6EV-WWysujA

nothermark
08-15-2015, 16:00
People who post YouTube links without comment as an answer should be beheaded as a public service. Putting out a YouTube video does not make anyone anything but somebody with an opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

No one I know in the group I camp with thinks there is anything wrong with tying knots therefor they have no problem with rope as a hammock hanging method. They do regard adding things like whoopie's as putting on a fiddly nuisance. I will say we are all over 60 so you can consider that too. If we go to anything it's straps. That sort of rules out *requiring* added cost on a Hennessy. You can save a few ounces if you are that worried about it.

Speaking of Hennessy, they are priced to sell retail. If any of the cottage vendors want to sell retail they need to make their list price roughly 1.5-2 times their current price to cover the retailer. That is just a fact of life. Stores do not run for free. Imagine what that would do to the cost of a Blackbird. ;-)

Other than that as folks have said, it's a moot argument. Run with whatever you can get.

BananaHammock
08-15-2015, 17:09
Lol. Well please don't behead me. I posted my opinion earlier in the thread and then shared a link I found last night

KiwiMark
08-15-2015, 19:42
Speaking of Hennessy, they are priced to sell retail. If any of the cottage vendors want to sell retail they need to make their list price roughly 1.5-2 times their current price to cover the retailer. That is just a fact of life. Stores do not run for free. Imagine what that would do to the cost of a Blackbird. ;-)

Well, to me that says that I'll get much better value for money buying from a cottage vendor rather than paying retail for a more commercial model.
It is my intention to buy a Blackbird XLC once I have the spare money, though there are some other items ahead of it on the list including a superfly tarp.

oldsoldier
08-16-2015, 06:11
There's certainly nothing wrong with the HH system. As someone else mentioned, you can get a complete setup-hammock, tarp, and UQ (supershelter) for about half of what you would spend elsewere. The SS doesnt compact as well as a UQ, of course, and the total weight is a bit heavier-but its fully functional. I sold my HH with the SS to a member here who, as I recall, was using it to finish up an AT through hike. That was years ago. There are thousands of HH users that are quite happy with their rigs. Just as there are thousands of WBBB users that are happy with theirs.
One thing I do notice is that HH users tend to largely leave their gear stock (at least, from what I have seen and read here). Whereas WB users tend to always be trying out this, that, something else, etc. Fiddling with their equipment. I would associate this more with Victory vs Harley.
A Victory is a great motorcycle-one you have to do nothing to, but change the oil. A Harley, people tinker with. ALL the time. Regardless of whether its needed or not :)

Roche
08-16-2015, 08:34
The SS doesnt compact as well as a UQ, of course, and the total weight is a bit heavier-but its fully functional.

Actually the HH SuperShelter is a lighter system when comparing apples to apples. The HHSS weighs less than my 20* partial down under quilt along with a breathable under quilt protector.

The HHSS develops a little condensation on the mylar blanket (not included) and is a little bulkier (good luck getting it back into its stuff sack). It does provide full length insulation and fits like a glove when properly installed. I trust the HHSS to 20* which I call three season, what others call winter and what a few call a nice Spring day.

Plug-it In
08-16-2015, 09:24
Shug

Shug watching that video helped me decide to buy my BB. Great detailed information. But I choose not to get the XLC model. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]

oldpappy
08-16-2015, 11:08
The folks who own a Hennessy will like a Hennessy. The folks who own a Warbonnet will like a Warbonnet.

I have a couple HH's because that was the only camping hammock available many years ago - Great hammocks and I like/still use them.
But, if shopping today I would buy 'Made in USA' and support the cottage industry.

Plug-it In
08-16-2015, 12:07
Shug

Do you like the Blackbird or the Blackbird XLC better? And why? Thanks!

CatSplat
08-16-2015, 12:22
I really like my HH's. If you buy one that's sized correctly for you (ie. don't buy an Expedition if you're tall) you should have no problem being comfortable. The small asym tarps are great for cutting weight if weather conditions don't require huge coverage. These days you can substitute the much bigger Hex instead of the asym for free - that's good value for a lot of coverage. $80 is darn cheap for a tarp with removable doors (Monsoon) - Warbonnet charges $75 just for tarp doors alone. The hammocks are a hair heavier material-wise, but they're also very sturdy and tough. Supershelters are downright cheap for the lightweight insulation they give you, and as much as I love my down underquilts, if I was on a super-tight insulation budget the SS would be a great option.

There are some things that HH does better than anybody else. As much as the Classic entry style is much maligned compared to a zip for versatility, if you're in a horrible buggy place with a billion mosquitos waiting to suck you dry, the Classic will do a much, much better job at keeping the bugs out during entry compared to a zip. Personally, all of my HH's are Classics that I've added a zip to - the best of both worlds and I wish they could be ordered that way. 3/4-length UQs work extremely well with the classic entry as well.

This might be a bit heretical, but I'm a fan of fiddling with gear (whoopies, straps, hardware, etc.) and last weekend I was showing a friend how to set up his new Explorer UL. I was struck by the fact that the stock suspension was pretty darn fast and easy to deal with. One knot per line, no hardware, no fiddling and it was ready to go. Clip on the tarp, yank on the prusiks and you're all set up. Sure the tarp tension will be less than ideal, but it'll keep you dry and you can't match it for simplicity.

That's not to say that Warbonnets aren't great - they are! But Hennessys have been around forever and have the benefit of a very well-developed system. A lot of their gear is very budget-friendly if you're OK with the slightly heavier, tougher materials.

Jayson
08-16-2015, 14:19
I started my hammocking in a HH expedition. After several years I switched to a Blackbird spent a year of camping 2 weekends a month and was never able to get totally comfy. Just something about how the footbox holds my feet is not working for me. I now switch between my Expedition and 9 foot Sgt. Rock ghost hammock i made which all depends on the bugs. Hennessy is fully stock. I use a Superfly tho.

Dman62
08-16-2015, 14:35
I have the Safari Asym zip from Hennessy and love it. Super comfortable. It has the bigger tarp which I would recommend getting with any of their hammocks as it has great coverage. Spent a couple days and nights in the rain and the hammock and I stayed bone dry. I added carabiners and descending rings to the suspension and setup is fast and easy. Wouldn't want to backpack with it though!
I may get a BB XLC in the future. Pretty much nothing but good things said about them and I like built in bug nets like the BB XLC and Hennessy's have.

CollieMan
08-19-2015, 15:00
I own a Hennessy Expedition Asym and a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I have to say after buying a cottage vendor hammock and after discovering upgraded suspensions I really regretted my HH purchase. I actually plan on selling it.

The new HH hammocks do not have interchangeable suspension unless you do something pretty unorthodox like cutting the current string and splicing on or adapting it to attach to a whoopee sling somehow, the hammock does not lay as flat as the XLC, the tarp that comes with it is not very good and most people want to replace it for a larger, lighter weight material, the HH is extremely heavy.

I have had no complaint with my XLC. The shelf can be kind of annoying because it rides up so high you can't see out the right side of your hammock, but you know that is there before you buy it otherwise its ultimately much more comfortable to me, and much lighter.

I would recommend selling the HH and reinvesting your money into a Warbonnet Hammock or perhaps even another cottage vendor brand. You will be much happier in the end.

Karebear32123
08-25-2015, 21:44
The first hammock that I bought with a integrated bugnet was a Hen. Exp. zip. Used it for a couple long trips, then handed it down and got a WBB. Now the husband is eyeing my black bird. So I plan on upgrading him to a WBB XLC then passing down the Hennesy. As you get into this hobby you go "grow" out of your gear as you hang more IMO.

beanamca
08-27-2015, 00:45
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info! I'm new to hammocks as well and these two were the ones I was most interested in. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the Warbonnet now.

Jake2c
08-27-2015, 14:29
I also have both the HH and a BB XLC. I really like them both but intend to take the XLC on my AT thru hike next spring. Only reason is the double layer on the bottom and I really like the shelf. You can throw a ton of junk in it. I also will be using the winter covering vice the bug net when I start so that provides a good option. Supposed to give you another 10 degrees but I don't know how accurate that is. The foot box is sort of a wash for me. These are minor reasons for me. If half way thru I needed to replace the BB I would have my wife send me the HH in a heartbeat. I really like them both but if what you are doing drives you to one or the other, I believe you will be very happy either way.

Shug
08-28-2015, 08:29
Do you like the Blackbird or the Blackbird XLC better? And why? Thanks!
I prefer the XLC as it is a foot longer and I got thicker 1.9 fabric. Just more comfy and supportive to me.
Carry forth.
Shug

Plug-it In
08-28-2015, 08:31
I prefer the XLC as it is a foot longer and I got thicker 1.9 fabric. Just more comfy and supportive to me.
Carry forth.
Shug
Thanks Shug! [emoji106]

cougarmeat
08-28-2015, 19:37
I started with a HH Expedition and there is nothing wrong with it. I have moved on to many, many other hammocks but that's just my "See the world" attitude. That said, I NEVER used the HH knot tying method for suspension - too much work, too much time, and difficult to adjust. But the easy solution is to use two rings (per end) - plenty of YouTube videos showing that method - and run the line the suspension line through them. They lock on the line, yet you can easily adjust it when un-weighted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

Also, the undercover is worth it to hold your pad or whatever you are using for below the hammock insulation, but I would not get the full super shelter as the price seems pretty high for just the under cover (you could also get one from 2QZQ) and a very thin piece of foam.

You didn't mention if you got the zipper model or the "duck under" model. I've kept a HH duck under model to use for demonstrations. It is easier that fiddling with zippers. Just because no one else does it - doesn't make it wrong.

nothermark
08-28-2015, 19:43
Nobody else does the duck under for two reasons.

1. Hennessy has a patent on it and enforces said patent.

2. Most people cannot figure it out.

FWIW if the weather is buggy zippers add weight, cost, and failure modes. If the weather is not buggy a plain open hammock is lighter, cheaper, and easier. ;-)

jhersh
08-30-2015, 10:06
Here is my two cents, worth every penny, plus or minus $0.02:

I started hanging about a year ago, and got a Hennessey Expedition Zip (I am 6'0", ~200 lb.) After browsing these forums, it is apparent that many others who started with HH have since moved on to other brands for improved comfort and/or lighter weight. I may do so as well, but I will never regret my HH purchase for the following reason:

The great bane for a noob in any hobby, be it hammock camping, amateur astronomy, or harpsichord building (and yes, I have dabbled in all of those) is TOO MANY CHOICES. When a beginner reads on a forum that someone bought their hammock from vendor A, picked choice B (out of 6 possible choices) for suspension, a tarp from C, and bugnet from D, a natural, instinctive response from said beginner is "maybe it would be simpler to stick to my tent". What the Hennessey offers is an integrated system that works reliably, without worrying about whether some other vendors UQ is a good fit, etc. As one gains more experience, one figures out that there are other ways that may be better; i.e. underquilts really are (usually) better than pads, and hanging the HH default microtarp off the hammock suspension is almost, but not quite, a good idea. Nevertheless, the simplicity of the HH setup up, while a limitation to experts, is a positive feature for us noobs.

Just a comment regarding all the cottage vendors: They make great products; the level of innovation is remarkable. Where most of them could use some improvement is in documentation, which is usually not designed for the beginning hammocker. One of my frustrations just starting out was that my back yard has no suitable trees, so I can't easily practice setup. But much of the documentation is in the form of utube videos, which I can't look at in the field. If this were supplemented with good old fashioned written instructions with diagrams that I could print out and take with me, learning to do this stuff would be a lot easier.

TominMN
08-30-2015, 10:53
Well said and worth far, far more than 2c.

Tangent
08-30-2015, 12:18
Just a comment regarding all the cottage vendors: They make great products; the level of innovation is remarkable. Where most of them could use some improvement is in documentation, which is usually not designed for the beginning hammocker. One of my frustrations just starting out was that my back yard has no suitable trees, so I can't easily practice setup. But much of the documentation is in the form of utube videos, which I can't look at in the field. If this were supplemented with good old fashioned written instructions with diagrams that I could print out and take with me, learning to do this stuff would be a lot easier.

After reading this I have to say I agree fully. I started hanging about 2 years ago. I have the benefit of good trees in my back yard, but still going in and out to check things could have been improved by having diagrams and print outs.

Dr1530
08-30-2015, 14:23
As a noob myself (1.5 years) I was asking this very question last year. I started with HH Explorer. I now hang a WBBB 1.1 double layer.after trying a friend's. First, as a new hanger, I found the foot box in the WB made it much easier for me to find a comfortable lie. Second, the suspension on the WB is much simpler to set up. Third, the double layer bottom made insulation much simpler for me. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

cougarmeat
08-31-2015, 18:50
When vendors give us choices - like different fabrics - I'd like more narrative describing how/why someone would choose one option over another. I'm guessing there must have been a situation that gave rise to those choices. Knowing why someone would pick single 1.7 over double layer 1.2 helps me decide if the same circumstances would apply to me. That said, there are many, many choices that are just preference. And the only way to get a preference is to try other things (trying really hard to keep this about hammocks). And trying other things means you have to start somewhere an not think you have to buy your only "once in a lifetime" hammock on the first shot. The only "mistake" is not to get started.

woodk9
08-31-2015, 21:04
I myself began to hammock camp about 3yrs ago. I was introduced to HH by a buddy who who had an earlier moddle. I bought an Expedition Zip and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I began to notice that there was another world out there and yes I may look into purchase another hammock down the road. There are To many choices out there and it is very overwhelming. As for right now I will continue to use my rig and make changes here and there. I did purchase another tarp, some dutchware and changed my suspension. Im still a beginner and im enjoying myself.

MoeTCrow
08-31-2015, 22:41
I've been hanging for a minute or two and have both hh and wbbb hammocks and tarps and multiple from each vendor. The thing is they fit different. Each person has their own favorite in my house and none of the 4 of us like the same one. I personally keep going back to mt old hh UL backpacker asym from before there was a zip model. I just sleep best in it. If you can try some out. I see you are a scout, hit up a camporee hanging is becoming more popular and I'm sure you can find a wbbb to test while someone tests your hh. Or do a group hang. Hammock envy based on only forum posts gets expensive real quick. Been there done that and still haven't learned my lesson.

Whiskeyjack
09-01-2015, 08:42
One mistake I think a lot of people make with the HH is going for the Expedition instead of the Expl Deluxe. I think it's just too small for most people.
The one problem HH has is that they are now too big, and they lost the ability to innovate. While the SS is a great system, they would benefit from branching into quilts, and offering suspension upgrades as well as dual bottom entry/zip models would probably go a long way to increasing their reach outside of the first time hammock buyer.
I'm very happy happy with all the HH we have (5), especially since it gave us an affordable way to get the entire family hanging (free cub hammock!).

Zeppo
09-01-2015, 11:49
I thought one of the selling points for HHs was asymmetry for a flat lie. Am I wrong in thinking that this feature is not shared by other manufacturers?

Snusovic
09-01-2015, 18:58
I've only heard good things about WB, and was interested in getting one to try out, but then again; I am so satisfied with my HHs that I thought "if it ain't broke...". If I sleep well in it, it is durable and easy to set up, what more could I ask for?

TominMN
09-01-2015, 21:20
I thought one of the selling points for HHs was asymmetry for a flat lie. Am I wrong in thinking that this feature is not shared by other manufacturers?
I always assumed that the "Asym" thing for HH had to do mostly with the fly shape. I think the pull-outs match the fly orientation but I don't know if their hammock bodies are also really constructed asym. Pretty much the norm to sleep at an angle to get flatter in any end-gathered Hammock. Some truly are designed to be "left" or "right" one way or another, others aren't.

stopwatch
09-03-2015, 04:18
How tall are you Shug? I'm 5' 10 1/2" 175 lbs and am trying to decide between a bb and a bb xlc. Don't really want the extra 12" if I don't need it. I have a hh explorer deluxe asym zip and it's just a little short. I'm thinking since the bb has the footbox it might be just right.
Thanks...

stopwatch
09-03-2015, 04:24
Does anyone know which has more interior length... a wbbb or a hh explorer deluxe asym zip? I want a bb but I don't want the extra length of the bb xlc unless I need it. I'm 5' 10 1/2" and the hh explorer is just a little (2 or 3") too short. It's a little hard to tell just by looking at the spec info.

Thanks all!

NCHanger
09-03-2015, 05:32
My bad back and HH's sale are what led me to HH. They had a sale where if I bought a hammock, I get a free Scout (child's) hammock for free. After darn near freezing one night, I bought the winter system. I hate it. I've slept in weather as cold as 16F, but hate the setup as I move often and moving on that mylar mat is noisy, and it really wasn't all that warm. I just feel like the winter system is clunky, and not all that warm. In fact, I've found that if I just stuff one sleeping bag into another, it's about as warm without all the fuss. I'll take my HH over sleeping on the ground, but for me, I'm still looking for that magic hammock experience. My 10 year old loves the scout.

Look at the "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" forum in your area as others suggested to me and find a local event. You can look at all sorts of options.

BananaHammock
09-03-2015, 05:46
Does anyone know which has more interior length... a wbbb or a hh explorer deluxe asym zip? I want a bb but I don't want the extra length of the bb xlc unless I need it. I'm 5' 10 1/2" and the hh explorer is just a little (2 or 3") too short. It's a little hard to tell just by looking at the spec info.

Thanks all!

I made the same decision when I was looking to get a WBBB but now I kind of wish I had gotten the xlc because it has a removeable bug net which is s real nice feature.

stopwatch
09-05-2015, 02:25
How tall are you bananahammock? Is the length of the bb a little too short or do you mainly like the xlc for the removable bug net?

BananaHammock
09-05-2015, 02:39
How tall are you bananahammock? Is the length of the bb a little too short or do you mainly like the xlc for the removable bug net?

I'm 5'11 and am very comfortable. Just like having the removeable option. When nature lets me get closer I usually will try to. Except going to ground, never :thumbdown:

stopwatch
09-05-2015, 07:40
Thanks for the insight, bh. I don't really need the optional top cover so I'm trying to decide if I really need the extra length.

TreeDangle
09-06-2015, 19:41
As a lifelong HH devotee, I'm feeling as though I'm having an illicit affair as I'm currently lying in an XLC and I like it. Lots.

Seems wider, longer, flatter than my HH. Visibility is better and a side zip is so much more convenient. Don't seem to have any shoulder squeeze and the netting is further from my face.

Maybe it's just the novelty of a newer well put together model, but I'm going to sneak off for a weekend away.

I only hope my old HH explorer and the young expedition don't find out.

stopwatch
09-06-2015, 22:10
As a lifelong HH devotee, I'm feeling as though I'm having an illicit affair as I'm currently lying in an XLC and I like it. Lots.

Seems wider, longer, flatter than my HH. Visibility is better and a side zip is so much more convenient. Don't seem to have any shoulder squeeze and the netting is further from my face.

Maybe it's just the novelty of a newer well put together model, but I'm going to sneak off for a weekend away.

I only hope my old HH explorer and the young expedition don't find out.

Tree D, it might be best to tell the HH family straight up... "it's not you, it's me" and go ahead and get the heartache over with.

So you feel xlc is wider too? How tall are you? Do you feel the extra length is necessary?

TreeDangle
09-07-2015, 00:23
Tree D, it might be best to tell the HH family straight up... "it's not you, it's me" and go ahead and get the heartache over with.

So you feel xlc is wider too? How tall are you? Do you feel the extra length is necessary?
6'2". With the XLC footbox, it doesn't feel as squeezed as the HH Expl.

One of the big differences is that I'm finding the side zip so much more convenient. My HH is an old one, from the time when the bottom entry was the only option. Getting in and out from this is so much more of a schlep in comparison with the zip. With the XLC I can throw a lot of stuff onto the shelf, get in and then get organized more elegantly than with the bottom entry and a ridgline crammed with dangling gear getting in the way.

I'm finding that the double layer XLC is a far better system than the HH supershelter - this may be a function of the bottom entry, perhaps the zip version HH is more efficient.

Is this the start of a mid life crisis - wanting to be with sleek, we'll cut younger version? What's the next warning signs? Titanium accessories? Juggling on a unicycle?

Snusovic
02-16-2016, 04:45
To bring life into an old thread; now I got a WBBBXLC and first impression is I like it, alot. But is it better than my Hennessys? Now that is a hard question. I love the footbox, the feel of it, the winter cover and the standard strap suspension. I'm not so fond of the thin zipper and how small it is compared to my Safari. But that smaller space can also combined with the winter cover make it a better cold weather shelter, so it's not all bad...

If I could go back all over? I would not have bought my Explorer. But between the Safari and the XLC? I'm honestly not sure.

irondog
02-18-2016, 17:23
To bring life into an old thread; ...If I could go back all over? I would not have bought my Explorer. But between the Safari and the XLC? I'm honestly not sure.

Mm-hmm! Looks like someone likes his Hennessy Safari!:thumbup:
I know how it is for you. I'd resisted the Safari for yeeeears, because the color offended me in ways I'm not able to describe or explain.
Then they hit me where I live, and busted out with their double-bottom Jungle Safari!! The rest is irondog history.
You well know, it has to be experienced, to be believed!

Anyone who's experienced (and liked) any Hennessy Safari (zip) model would be hard put to it, to dump her for anything else; and would surely never take to bad-talking her.
She's a sweet-lovin' sail of comfy hammock; and that is her gift as much as her grind. She makes my spacious Deep Jungle XL feel comparatively cramped!
She's just way too much for me to take 'round the world with me, but I miss and fondly anticipate her, while I'm away.
She just does such things for us, and so well, that there's no class-to-category comparison to be made with anything else out there (irondog's opinion).

I guess this's the long way to say the Hennessy Safari zip models are unique, and definitely in the "love-it-or-hate-it" class.

Snusovic
02-18-2016, 21:17
Mm-hmm! Looks like someone likes his Hennessy Safari!:thumbup:
(...)
I guess this's the long way to say the Hennessy Safari zip models are unique, and definitely in the "love-it-or-hate-it" class.

A very poetic way I would add, it made for fine reading this night. Haha, indeed love or hate. I do believe most ultralight guys would rather use a Winnebago than a Safari (heck; they'd probably think there's no big difference carrying those), but I sure do love my portable badminton hall, and it sounds like we are two of a kind in that aspect. There's something magical to any shelter large enough to sit upright inside or even having visitors over, and once used to it, there is really no way back; one can always add other hammocks for other tasks, but losing that space when it's wanted would be oh so sad.

However, I am no brand fanatic, so if Warbonnet ever decide to make a Blackbird XLXWXHC, I would definitely get it. :laugh:

Rob3E
02-25-2016, 16:59
This has been a fun thread. I have a Hennessy Expedition Classic with a zipper added. I really don't use the bottom entry unless for some reason I felt the need to string it up too high. Then bottom entry is easier. Now that there's a zipper model, I would have easily bought that and never missed the bottom entry. I also like the SuperShelter. I'm sure an underquilt would be warmer and pack better, but for the price it has been a great addition. I'm too lazy to hit the back button but whoever posted their praise of Hennessy as an all-in-one system is spot-on. When I got curious about hammock camping, I waited for my REI coupon, got my Hennessy, and was ready to camp. It was chilly, so I got my SuperShelter. Fits my hammock like it was made for it ;-) . Same with the overcover. I have no regrets.

But.

Its strength is also its weakness. I am very tempted by the Blackbird, but I'd be starting over from zero. My SuperShelter won't work. My overcover won't work. My little tarp that's shaped just right for my hammock probably won't work. I need new everything. But, on the plus side, if I do all that, I'll have two, complete hammock systems. I have an upgrade plan. A Superfly is already on my shopping list (and I have a couple of other, cheaper tarps as well). Then an underquilt, which would be a welcome addition to the Hennessy, but could move on to another hammock, too. The only thing left to miss is the overcover, which I do enjoy during those chilly nights. The Blackbird XLC would take care of that, but the XLC is a little too long for the Handy Hammock, I think, which is another piece of gear on my list. Maybe by the time I'm ready for the Blackbird, they will have added a topcover option to the standard model.

I can't really compare the two, because I only have the one, but I like the idea of the shelf and the footbox. It sounds like the Blackbird is just a little roomier. Suspension isn't really an issue, because I've already changed the Hennessy suspension. Getting the XLC for even more room would be very tempting if I wasn't already thinking of some trips where the Handy Hammock might come in to play.

This thread is several months old and I don't know if the OP ever got their hammock, but I think there's no wrong choice. If I were starting out and had $500 or so to get ball rolling, I think I'd go Blackbird. But if I didn't (and I didn't. still don't), I think the Hennessy is a great system. I got up and running for around $100, thanks to a good deal. And I got insulated for about another $150 (after some unsuccessful nights trying to stay warm with a $5 foam pad). There have been other tweaks along the way, but for the fun I've gotten out of this hammock, it was a steal. If the price is right and/or you like the idea of all the ready-made, easy-to-fit parts, Hennessy's a great choice. And just because I'm tempted by the Blackbird, that doesn't mean I won't end up back in my Hennessy.

KiwiMark
02-26-2016, 18:01
I'm really liking my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC + Warbonnet Superfly Tarp + Hammock Gear Incubator 20 UQ + Handy Hammock Stand (not always possible to use trees here).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I1ftf7sxYnc/VoSwIJAjFFI/AAAAAAAAFCw/IaNC-TIZ8I0/s1152-Ic42/Camp_Setup.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n8f8VzLgzL8/VosyATTycBI/AAAAAAAAFDo/FKzuKwiZpPc/s1152-Ic42/DR650_3c.jpg

One tree found but not two suitable trees anywhere in this camp ground:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qULAGTQwgdk/VsoykWWZVhI/AAAAAAAAFHg/jpEq0ylNd9w/s1032-Ic42/Taumaranui_camp_1b.jpg

I'm able to get in a decent sleep and wake up not aching which is different than if I sleep on an inflatable mat in a tent. I haven't tried any Hennessey hammocks, but I do know that my Warbonnet gear is very good quality stuff and it works well for me.

Rob3E
02-26-2016, 18:32
I'm really liking my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC + Warbonnet Superfly Tarp + Hammock Gear Incubator 20 UQ + Handy Hammock Stand (not always possible to use trees here).

So you can use the XLC and the Handy Hammock? I thought the XLC was too long. That could tip the scales for me. I don't feel like I need the extra space, but the removable/replaceable bugnet/topcover sounds really nice.

KiwiMark
02-26-2016, 20:58
So you can use the XLC and the Handy Hammock? I thought the XLC was too long. That could tip the scales for me. I don't feel like I need the extra space, but the removable/replaceable bugnet/topcover sounds really nice.

Can and did!
The limiting factor is the cordage that runs between the two bases that each pole goes into, in that picture I'm using a tree and one base.

I'm thinking about cutting the cordage and replacing it with some Zing-It that is a bit longer to suit my XLC. However, I'm also thinking that it is quite rare to need both poles anyway. I don't usually find two suitable trees in camping grounds around here, but it would be rare to find no trees or poles or posts or anything else that I could attach one end to. Most of the time I'll be able to utilise a tree and use one of the Handy Hammock poles for the other end. I used the tree for the foot end because I wanted that higher and the Handy Hammock pole for the other end.
I think I'll replace the cordage regardless, I can't think of a reason not to. There is bound to be that one site I go to where I have to use both poles.

For the tarp I used the tree at one end and one of my REI adjustable tarp poles for the other end.
For porch mode I used the other REI adjustable tarp pole + a hiking pole - different heights are not a problem, in fact that is an advantage if it rains because it prevents water from pooling.

My roll-top duffel bag cost around fifty bucks and is big enough for all my poles (Handy Hammock stand, REI adjustable tarp poles, hiking poles & tarp poles) as well as all my other gear. I strap that bag to the back of my camping vehicle and I'm good to go:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/---fUTJARUkQ/VsoymXsBAaI/AAAAAAAAFHg/CIF367BPJro/s1032-Ic42/Taumaranui_camp_1d.jpg

I've yet to see any other hammock stand that will fit in that bag, so for me the Handy Hammock stand is the only option I've got if I don't want to take an inflatable mat to allow for sleeping on the ground. I didn't spend what I have spent to end up sleeping on the ground like an animal!!!!!!!

Whether in a WB, Hennessey or other brand of hammock the trick is to be able to use it where you want to and gain that level of comfort so you can get a good nights sleep, my setup is about right for me and I'm much happier to go camping knowing I'll not wake up achy and still tired.

ninjahamockman
02-26-2016, 21:45
6'2". With the XLC footbox, it doesn't feel as squeezed as the HH Expl.

One of the big differences is that I'm finding the side zip so much more convenient. My HH is an old one, from the time when the bottom entry was the only option. Getting in and out from this is so much more of a schlep in comparison with the zip. With the XLC I can throw a lot of stuff onto the shelf, get in and then get organized more elegantly than with the bottom entry and a ridgline crammed with dangling gear getting in the way.

I'm finding that the double layer XLC is a far better system than the HH supershelter - this may be a function of the bottom entry, perhaps the zip version HH is more efficient.

Is this the start of a mid life crisis - wanting to be with sleek, we'll cut younger version? What's the next warning signs? Titanium accessories? Juggling on a unicycle?

So you know in relationships where you start dumping allot of money. The Jewelry equivelent is you dumping a bunch of dutchware on her. It is only a matter of time man. So embrace the dutch.

TheDoc
03-07-2016, 17:23
Get a WBBB. You won't regret it.

Dlrocm
03-13-2016, 15:26
I have a hennessy, but I want a blackbird :)

Five Tango
03-16-2016, 11:18
I have one of each.They both have features that I do like.The WBBB is a bit lighter and easier to hang from my perspective so that's the one in the pack.Of course I could have converted the HH to whoopies or buckles but
I wanted the shelf and the zipper plus the pocket for the pad.