PDA

View Full Version : NW Ontario>Hillock Lake - Aug 19-21

Seahawkfan
08-14-2015, 23:14
Hi all,

This is my first trip plan but here goes...

A buddy, two very large dogs and I plan to drive into Hillock Lake and paddle into a nice beach for a couple nights. I hope to be at the lake by noonish Wed. The only other time I have tried this trip was a couple of years ago, we were turned back by the road in. I have read that you need a serious 4X4 to make it in. There is a sand road thats mostly washed out with huge rocks that you need to go over/around. I have a older 4runner and am looking forward to giving it a try. Wish me luck.

If we do make it in, we will be paddling south 7.5 km into a beautiful campsite with a beach. We will then spend the next day trying to find some interesting climbing in the area. I hope to climb some 5.7-5.9 routes, most look short but interesting. Regardless we will head home on Friday.

I will be staying in my DIY hammock gear, my paddling partner will be in a small tent probably with two large dogs. I can't wait to make use of a bunch of new & repaired gear.

If anyone has an first hand info about this lake I would love to hear about your time there.

Again wish me luck!
Go Hawks!

BigGreenMoose
08-21-2015, 06:14
Hope the trip went well. I haven't been up near Kenora in almost a dozen years now! Time flies! Stop in at the Ho Ho for some chicken balls after your trip. Ha!

Seahawkfan
08-24-2015, 20:22
Trip was great, will write it up in more detail in the trip report thread. We went for chips from the chip truck on the way home.