PDA

View Full Version : >Canada>Ont>EGL Fall 2015 Canoeing

Chard
08-17-2015, 15:15
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/fall2014.jpg
Pen Lake Sept 2014

Hi Gang,

It's been a while but on my drive back from Wasaga Beach yesterday my girls suddenly screamed in terror. I freaked and asked what was wrong!?! A huge spider? Beetle? Was there a chipmunk in the car? No. They told me that they had just seen a maple start to change colour, a sure indicator that the summer was almost over and school was about to begin.

So another EGL canoe hang is definitely in order. We lucked out last year with what has to have been the most gorgeous weekend I had ever spent in the Park; a veritable riot of colour.

When:
I'm thinking the end of September 25-27 with the possibility that some of us might want to stretch that out a bit and start on the Thursday Sept 24.

Where:
Something not too far in. Algonquin's Pen Lake (Island or Beach) have done well for us. We might even be able to get a little fishing in. Ragged or Parkside Bay might work as well.
For a change we might want to consider Massasauga Provincial Park or even Killarney, although Killarney may prove too far for most.

Bubba
08-17-2015, 17:30
Yeah baby! Dates are good with me.

I like something close as well with not too many portages. Just want to go and relax in the woods by a lake. Algonquin is always good but Massasauga is appealing as well. Killarney would be a little far for a two nighter for me.

As always I'm a game day decision but barring any unforseen difficulties I'm in and will he going solo!:)

LuvmyBonnet
08-17-2015, 18:02
I'm with Bubba. Something close that's next to a lake, is kayak friendly and doesn't require portages. Preferably something South of TO. I just want to relax in the woods and go for a paddle.

Bubba
08-17-2015, 18:38
I'm with Bubba. Something close that's next to a lake, is kayak friendly and doesn't require portages. Preferably something South of TO. I just want to relax in the woods and go for a paddle.

Don't think there is anything south of TO. Any back country canoe destinations are going to be NE, N, or NW of TO. Algonquin is about 4.5 to 5 hours from my house depending on the access point. It would probably be about the same for you.

keg
08-17-2015, 19:56
I'm in.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall many sites in Massassuaga that would work for a larger group. I know quiet has been there a bunch so he might have an idea of appropriate sites there.

Algonquin has the benefit of the colours. At Massassauga we won't have to worry about the traffic on 60 (and for those who care would be an hour or so closer).

Moose85
08-17-2015, 21:14
I would love to join you guys but I just made plans to go in with a couple buddies ealier in September, and I can't justify going into the park twice when there's still unfinished projects around the house that need to get finished before winter.

Bubba
08-17-2015, 22:06
I would love to join you guys but I just made plans to go in with a couple buddies ealier in September, and I can't justify going into the park twice when there's still unfinished projects around the house that need to get finished before winter.

That's too bad. We'll catch you at the next one.

Lofty
08-18-2015, 10:25
I can't make it [emoji22]
Already working that weekend

But

As I've mentioned before
if any of you have time on weekdays I'm up for a mid week trip in the fall

Cheers

ggreaves
08-18-2015, 15:40
I'll be there. I just started a new job so I'm not sure if I can get any time off but worst case I'll come for saturday / sunday.

76 highboy
08-18-2015, 16:18
I'm in:)
I have about 20 days booked off for september so just about anytime is good with me!
Lofty,I'll do a midweek trip in mid to late september.

Chard
08-19-2015, 08:50
It'll be good to see some familar faces again, if only for a day or two. Algonquin should be in full glory. If the weather holds out, it'll be a treat. There's only one 375m portage on the route to Pen and we can certainly help get your kayak up and over Luvmybonnet. We've manhandled kayaks before.

To those of you who can't make it, Moose, Lofty, that's a drag, but there's always next time. Winter's just around the corner. (UL load for that one Lofty!!! Lesson learned :crying)

I'm definitely thinking of some nice chowder group dinners as well. I missed them in the Spring and they've been on my mind ever since. There's nothing like a massive pot of stew on the fire! Anyone not like French Canadian pea soup with big chunks of ham?

Also, this might be a good warm-up for a Canadian Mahha trek a fortnight later!

Bubba
08-19-2015, 11:22
Mmmm...Split pea and ham. Which is easier to make out there? Penn Lake would be fine with me. Nice familiar route, not too long of a paddle and a short portage. Good for honing the solo skills. Also the opportunity of a day trip to Booth's Rock Trail for those interested. Trail might be busy but ggreaves and Iguana did it last year IIRC.

Iguana
08-19-2015, 11:34
I am in.

Most likely will come in on Thursday and head out on Saturday morning.

Lofty, HighBoy, I am in for mid week trips as well.

Chard
08-19-2015, 18:37
Hey Lofty, how are you for the week of Sept 21? Maybe there's an opportunity to roll a mid week into a weekend hang with flexible start/end dates.

Lofty
08-19-2015, 20:58
Hey Lofty, how are you for the week of Sept 21? Maybe there's an opportunity to roll a mid week into a weekend hang with flexible start/end dates.

as of now I have time the week of Sept 21- I could come in Monday/Tuesday but would have to leave thursday morning ( working thursday night )

I'll know for sure after the long weekend

Iguana and Highboy --- are you available the week of Sept 21?

LuvmyBonnet
08-19-2015, 21:52
MMMM split pea. I've been honing my dutch oven pot roast skills. Made one last week in Allegheny State Park that everyone raved about. I was pretty proud of it. But then again it is a lot easier when it's not -22*F. LOL
Not sure if I can make it but sure would like to make it to another one of your hangs. Had a great time last January and met a bunch of cool and hardy folks! All though you guys did some damage to my wallet last time. Shortly after the last hang I got a Gränsfors Bruk ax, a Smokehouse hammock shelter, a Kni-co and Ti stove and a squirrel cooker. HA HA HA!

Chard
08-19-2015, 22:53
You sound well stocked! I vote dinner at LuvmyBonnet's next Valens Hang. I'll bring the wine! I think we'll have more than a couple of hot tents this time. Quiet set the bar, as usual.

The Old Boot
08-20-2015, 08:35
As usual, I'm in but will need a bow seat!

And any departure/return dates are fine with me. My final official date of retirement is Sept. 15th so after that I'm free to come and go as I please. You'll probably be able to hear the joyous shouts from wherever you are!!

Not that I haven't done that for a couple of years now but still....:D

Chard
08-20-2015, 08:48
Has anyone done a roast pig on a spit before? That would be awesome!!!!! Lots of work, but man oh man it would be good!!!!!!

Mark1065
08-20-2015, 10:48
Wish I could have made it but I already have camping plans that weekend

Mark

Chard
08-20-2015, 11:30
Wish I could have made it but I already have camping plans that weekend

Mark

Bring them along!!! I owe my winter hang rescue team a special treat!

Mark1065
08-20-2015, 12:37
Unfortunately they're not interior type campers, don't worry though there's lot's of time and winter camping will be here soon enough LOL

Mark

BigGreenMoose
08-21-2015, 05:50
Really tempted to join you guys for my first group hang! I just don't know if I can do two weekends this September and be welcome back home afterwards[emoji28]. If my earlier plans fall through, I'll be back on this thread!

76 highboy
08-21-2015, 16:19
Lofty: Im off from the 21 st. What did you have in mind? Backpacking,paddling,car camping?
If it doesnt involve 20 k uphill each day or multiple 2k portages I can handle it.:) Well Ill at least try to keep up with you young bucks!

Lofty
08-22-2015, 10:49
Lofty: Im off from the 21 st. What did you have in mind? Backpacking,paddling,car camping?
If it doesnt involve 20 k uphill each day or multiple 2k portages I can handle it.:) Well Ill at least try to keep up with you young bucks!

I'm good with going in sept 21 ( I'll have to leave sept 23)
I'm hoping to kayak.
Did you want to extend the EGL hang or perhaps somewhere else?

If you want to extend - let's keep the planning here
If you want to do somewhere else I think a new thread should be started

Lofty

entropy
08-24-2015, 15:12
I'm in. I may bring along a ground-dwelling buddy of mine. (Please tease him relentlessly)

Chard
08-24-2015, 15:40
Firing up the engines of scorn and ridicule.

Seriously though, it's less about the bed than where you choose to lay it. Any friend of yours....

entropy
08-24-2015, 17:37
Firing up the engines of scorn and ridicule.

Seriously though, it's less about the bed than where you choose to lay it. Any friend of yours....

I think I'm going to use this trip to convert him to hanging. He loves backcountry but sleeps like crap on the ground with an inflatable pad, which probably sounds familiar to most of us here.

Chard
08-25-2015, 14:59
I think I'm going to use this trip to convert him to hanging. He loves backcountry but sleeps like crap on the ground with an inflatable pad, which probably sounds familiar to most of us here.

That was my MO. Slept in a tent for one night last week with my daughter and I suffered like a ripe banana in a bag of gravel, bruised and battered!

entropy
08-25-2015, 20:40
That was my MO. Slept in a tent for one night last week with my daughter and I suffered like a ripe banana in a bag of gravel, bruised and battered!Yeah, I was backpacking in Algonquin with this buddy last weekend and suffered likewise...

ggreaves
08-28-2015, 15:07
Has anyone done a roast pig on a spit before? That would be awesome!!!!! Lots of work, but man oh man it would be good!!!!!!

Portaging that pig will be interesting.

Chard
08-28-2015, 15:15
Portaging that pig will be interesting.

A pig on a pig!

1csleptonkayak
08-31-2015, 08:43
Would y'all permit a yankee to join you? Ray Mears' paddle videos have had me jonesin' for a paddle trip in Canada for some time. I'm prepared to bring appropriate tribute.:D

Chard
08-31-2015, 09:31
Hi 1csleptonkayak,

Everyone's welcome so come on up! Always good to see someone from the Buckeye state. Actually I just mentioned on different post that I spent a couple of summers in Yellow Springs as a lad. Great place!

Ray Mears definitely seems like a cool dude. Anyone who loves canoeing as much as he seems to is ok in my books. By your name I'm assuming you've paddled before. In my opinion, you'll be hard pressed finding as beautiful a paddling place anywhere in the world as Algonquin in the fall when the trees are in full colour.

Question to the group:
Ragged Lake/Parkside Bay or Pen Lake? I'm leaning towards Pen myself.

1csleptonkayak
08-31-2015, 10:20
Everyone's welcome so come on up! Always good to see someone from the Buckeye state.

COOL! Thanks Chard. I have a 14 foot inflatable catamaran/kayak that I've been using for paddle camping for a few years. I actually even used to sleep on it (thus, the forum name) before I got my hammock. I'm going to start making my plans today. I'll probably have a hand full of questions while making preparations. Thanks again!

entropy
08-31-2015, 10:47

Heh. Every bear in the park would heading our way. Also produces lots of waste that would be hard to get rid of...

Chard
08-31-2015, 12:03
COOL! Thanks Chard. I have a 14 foot inflatable catamaran/kayak that I've been using for paddle camping for a few years. I actually even used to sleep on it (thus, the forum name) before I got my hammock. I'm going to start making my plans today. I'll probably have a hand full of questions while making preparations. Thanks again!

Great. Prep for rain and assume that it could get down near freezing at night and you'll be set. I'm guessing that your catamaran/kayak can keep up with canoes for a couple of hours. Rentals are easily available in the park and there might an opportunity to double up with someone.

Heh. Every bear in the park would heading our way. Also produces lots of waste that would be hard to get rid of...

Okay, okay... Maybe save that one for a Valens car-camping hang.

1csleptonkayak
08-31-2015, 19:49
I'm guessing that your catamaran/kayak can keep up with canoes for a couple of hours. Rentals are easily available in the park and there might an opportunity to double up with someone.

Good to know. I plan to bring it, but if there are high winds forecast I may opt for one of the other options. I should be fine otherwise.

So, plan for rain and lows around freezing, how about "normal" highs for that time of year?

Any special preparations I should consider for bears and bugs?

Will a normal passenger sedan be sufficient to get me to the launch point, or should I consider a more backcountry-capable vehicle for the trip?

Chard
08-31-2015, 20:25
So, plan for rain and lows around freezing, how about "normal" highs for that time of year?

Any special preparations I should consider for bears and bugs?

Will a normal passenger sedan be sufficient to get me to the launch point, or should I consider a more backcountry-capable vehicle for the trip?

High's could be t-shirt weather. We'll need to see the forecast before we leave..
Bugs shouldn't be an issue that late in the year, but I generally leave a small pump spray bottle of repellent in my pack.
Bears are always a remote possibility. Frankly, I've never seen a bear in Algonquin. Just keep a clean campsite and make sure you have a long rope and waterproof bag to hang your food, toiletries and any food/fish scent covered clothes. Obviously, don't eat greasy/smelly food and wipe your hands any clothes you keep by your hammock.
Access will be along Highway 60 and then, if we head down to Pen Lake, an improved dirt road. No special vehicles are necssary.

Jayson
08-31-2015, 21:33
I stayed on a site on Pen this summer with my daughter that was possibly the best group hammock site I have seen! Just got home from a trip with my Dad. Will dig out my map tomorrow and let you know which site. Shelteref fire pit, GREAT swimming rock and a huge sleeping area away from the fire area!

Bugs were a non issue this past weekend.

keg
08-31-2015, 23:53
Never been on ragged but I'm fine with either.

1csleptonkayak, average highs tend to be around 70F and lows in the 40s but I've seen it in the 80's and I've woken up with frost or snow on the ground once or twice.

entropy
09-01-2015, 07:40
I stayed on a site on Pen this summer with my daughter that was possibly the best group hammock site I have seen! Just got home from a trip with my Dad. Will dig out my map tomorrow and let you know which site. Shelteref fire pit, GREAT swimming rock and a huge sleeping area away from the fire area!

Bugs were a non issue this past weekend.
The one we were on last year was pretty great too. Lots of nicely spaced trees Long rocky beach.

entropy
09-01-2015, 07:40
Great. Prep for rain and assume that it could get down near freezing at night and you'll be set. I'm guessing that your catamaran/kayak can keep up with canoes for a couple of hours. Rentals are easily available in the park and there might an opportunity to double up with someone.

Okay, okay... Maybe save that one for a Valens car-camping hang.
Could do a pork shoulder or something. Back country pulled pork sandwiches!

Bubba
09-01-2015, 10:52
Question to the group:
Ragged Lake/Parkside Bay or Pen Lake? I'm leaning towards Pen myself.

Doesn't really matter. Parkside Bay might be nice. Never been there.

Chard
09-01-2015, 13:53
Doesn't really matter. Parkside Bay might be nice. Never been there.

The only thing bout Parkside Bay is that I suspect that the fishing will be pretty bad. At least on Pen we have a chance of hitting some specks at some of the feeder streams.

Bubba
09-01-2015, 16:36
The only thing bout Parkside Bay is that I suspect that the fishing will be pretty bad. At least on Pen we have a chance of hitting some specks at some of the feeder streams.

Well Pen is fine by me then. Familiar is good.

76 highboy
09-01-2015, 19:16
I used to roast a 100 lb pig every labour day weekend for about 10 years. Its a bit of work,but its DELICIOUS work:)
Not something I'd want to do at pen lake.Unless of course your'e portaging the pig.
Otoh,it might be doable at valens. Mmmm the wheels are turning;)

1csleptonkayak
09-03-2015, 12:38
I'd be up for starting earlier than the weekend if any of you do end up doing that. Heck, I may even take the entire week off in which case I could leave Ohio as early as Saturday, the 19th. Are there any other camping/paddling areas (or other sites for a visitor to see) along the way to Algonquin if I do decide to do the entire week?

Lofty
09-03-2015, 15:46
I'd be up for starting earlier than the weekend if any of you do end up doing that. Heck, I may even take the entire week off in which case I could leave Ohio as early as Saturday, the 19th. Are there any other camping/paddling areas (or other sites for a visitor to see) along the way to Algonquin if I do decide to do the entire week?

I'm paddling in Killarney on September 21-23
You are welcome to tag along ( I'm going to be trying this trip in a 10 foot kayak [emoji1] )

FYI Killarney is about 4 hours north of Toronto

Cheers

Bubba
09-08-2015, 06:21
Little over two weeks away. Looking like Penn Lake via Rock Lake access point.

Confirmed
Chard
keg
76 highboy
Iguana
The Old Boot
entropy + ground dwelling buddy
1csleptonkayak

Uncomfirmed
Bubba

ggreaves
09-08-2015, 08:19
I'm not going to be able to make it. We're in the middle of moving to a smaller house and I will be using that weekend to figure out where to put everything. We're not even half moved and the house is full. Enjoy. Take pictures, make waves etc.

Chard
09-08-2015, 13:48
Little over two weeks away. Looking like Penn Lake via Rock Lake access point.

Confirmed
Chard
keg
76 highboy
Iguana
The Old Boot
entropy + ground dwelling buddy
1csleptonkayak

Uncomfirmed
Bubba

Thanks as always good sir, but unconfirmed!?!

I'm not going to be able to make it. We're in the middle of moving to a smaller house and I will be using that weekend to figure out where to put everything. We're not even half moved and the house is full. Enjoy. Take pictures, make waves etc.

Sorry to hear that you won't be there. Moving is always so much fun! We could always try the alien abduction ruse to get you away; we'll just need to remember to set back your watches....

Bubba
09-08-2015, 16:45
Can't fully commit at this time. More than likely I'll be going but because of my home situation that could change in an instant. In the past I've had to cancel last minute so I don't want to confirm.

Chard
09-08-2015, 20:37
Can't fully commit at this time. More than likely I'll be going but because of my home situation that could change in an instant. In the past I've had to cancel last minute so I don't want to confirm.

You know I'm just razzing you! It'll be good to see that new canoe of yours, but family always comes first.

keg
09-08-2015, 20:46
I'm fully confirmed now. My school trip is the week after so no conflict.

Yay - two consecutive weekends in the park.

(I'm looking forward to seeing Bubba's canoe too. If I can only get my condo board to let me store one in my parking spot)

keg
09-08-2015, 20:49

Just tell them you have an idea where to put your canoe.

Chard
09-08-2015, 22:04
Depending on work and the weather, I'm going to try to head up Thursday morning and either camp on Rock and do the Barclay Trail up to the cliffs or paddle down through Pen to Clydegale to try for specks at the 275m. Either way, I'll then paddle to either the beach or the "island" for the Hang proper.

1csleptonkayak
09-09-2015, 10:32
There's only one 375m portage on the route to Pen and we can certainly help get your kayak up and over Luvmybonnet. We've manhandled kayaks before.

My back wants to know if the terrain on this portage will accommodate a portage cart with ~10" pneumatic wheels?

Kasuko
09-09-2015, 10:34
Howdy, I have been lurking in this thread for a while, was sure I'd be available to attend.

Well I am, though I still don't own a canoe so I'm looking for a partner. I am available any days at any time so let me know!

Chard
09-09-2015, 11:47
My back wants to know if the terrain on this portage will accommodate a portage cart with ~10" pneumatic wheels?

Bring them along and on the portions that they won't work (boardwalks, steep hills, rock gardens), we can lend a hand. The other option is to canoe.

Howdy, I have been lurking in this thread for a while, was sure I'd be available to attend.

Well I am, though I still don't own a canoe so I'm looking for a partner. I am available any days at any time so let me know!

Well, well, Nice to hear from ya Kasuko! I hope that this time we'll even be able to get your company on our site.

keg
09-09-2015, 19:27
Depending on work and the weather, I'm going to try to head up Thursday morning and either camp on Rock and do the Barclay Trail up to the cliffs or paddle down through Pen to Clydegale to try for specks at the 275m. Either way, I'll then paddle to either the beach or the "island" for the Hang proper.

I'm looking to head up Friday, time TBD.

I'm supervising kids at an overnight camp near Bracebridge until Friday lunch. If I'm driving to the camp, I'll be at Rock around 2:00. I might have to supervise a bus though which means having to head back to TO with the kids, pick up my car and turn back around. If that's the case I should hopefully make Algonquin Outfitters just before close and might be paddling in the dark.

Which site is the "beach"?

Bubba
09-09-2015, 20:11
The beach site is the site on the eastern side of Pen Lake right beside the portage that goes east to Night lake.

76 highboy
09-09-2015, 20:53

I hope to be arriving late wed or early thursday.
That is if the Killarney trip with lofty dont kill me:scared:

entropy
09-10-2015, 09:15
Unfortunately my buddy is not going to be able to make it :( With ggreaves dropping out too I have no boat. Anyone need a bow paddler? I could also just rent one and head in on Thrusday if anyone else is going early.

keg
09-10-2015, 21:19
The beach site is the site on the eastern side of Pen Lake right beside the portage that goes east to Night lake.

Thanks.

The Old Boot
09-13-2015, 15:30
I'm on the confirmed list but don't have a seat in a canoe yet...:rolleyes:

Need a bow seat, can share rental fees on a canoe but can't transport one!

Can leave anytime that's convenient for anyone else.

Chard
09-13-2015, 19:34
I'm on the confirmed list but don't have a seat in a canoe yet...:rolleyes:

Need a bow seat, can share rental fees on a canoe but can't transport one!

Can leave anytime that's convenient for anyone else.

Hi guys..Can we get a role call of who's coming, when and if you're paddling solo or could use a bow paddler.

Confirmed

Chard (Heading in Thurs early afternoon/preferred solo but can double)
Keg
76 Highboy
Iguana
The Old Boot (looking for a bow seat)
Entropy (looking for a bow seat)
1csleptonkayak
Kasuko (looking for a partner (bow seat?))

Uncomfirmed

Bubba

1csleptonkayak
09-16-2015, 14:11
I hope to be arriving late wed or early thursday.
That is if the Killarney trip with lofty dont kill me:scared:

Looks like 76 highboy and I will be caravanning to Algonquin from Killarney on Wednesday and paddling to the hang site on Thursday morning.

Chard
09-16-2015, 14:32
Looks like 76 highboy and I will be caravanning to Algonquin from Killarney on Wednesday and paddling to the hang site on Thursday morning.

Wow! You're doing a serious Ontario Parks tour aren't you. Looking forward to see you guys out there.

1csleptonkayak
09-16-2015, 17:03
Wow! You're doing a serious Ontario Parks tour aren't you. Looking forward to see you guys out there.

Yeah! Really looking forward to it.

Hey, a couple questions ...

Do I need to provide anyone information for permits, etc. and will we need to register anywhere prior to paddling to the hang site at Algonquin?

I get the sense that we'll be camped at one spot for the entire time and doing excursions during the day. Is that right? Any other specific activities planned?

How many group meals will there be and how can I contribute?

Tim

Chard
09-16-2015, 18:57
Yeah! Really looking forward to it.

Hey, a couple questions ...

Do I need to provide anyone information for permits, etc. and will we need to register anywhere prior to paddling to the hang site at Algonquin?

I get the sense that we'll be camped at one spot for the entire time and doing excursions during the day. Is that right? Any other specific activities planned?

How many group meals will there be and how can I contribute?

Tim

Well...

I'll get the main permit in the next day or so and the next 8 people can join on as they arrive. Permits can be obtained at the park office by the canoe launch. Highboy knows the ropes. If numbers warrant it, we'll get a second permit.
We'll be base-camping Friday and Saturday nights, but I'm not so sure about Thursday. Day trips are totally fine; I plan to do a little fishing myself but many just like to relax in camp, watch the trees sway and hear what the breeze has to say.
Meals? No one should feel compelled to join in on the group dinners. It's totally optional. Everyone generally brings their own meals and then has a share of the soup or stew as an appetizer, unless of course I've made too much (which is most of the time) and people are "encouraged" to have seconds, thirds, sevenths...
As for what to serve, I'm going to suggest French Canadian Pea Soup Friday night and our old standby New England Clam Chow-daa on Saturday night. That being said, I'm totally open to suggestions or even having someone else take the lead on a meal or two if they want. Nice thing about our group dinners is that everybody helps out. They're great fun. The only thing I'd ask if we go with the two soups above is that everyone bring in as many potatoes as they'd like to eat in the chowder and maybe a small onion as well; that way we spread the load. Based on my vast personal experience, I'd recommend that whoever's "leading" the meal should buy all the other ingredients so they're sure that they have exactly what they need. I'm fine doing that as well. I'll bring my big pot.

The Old Boot
09-18-2015, 08:53
As requested

I can be at the access point at any time on any day. Newly retired and thoroughly enjoying the lack of restraints.

Need a bow seat - haven't steered in 4 decades and don't want to show off my lack of skill at this point...:lol:

Am more than willing to share in rental of a canoe including drop off charges if necessary. Have own paddle and PFD.

Beth

Bubba
09-18-2015, 14:05
At this point I am still not sure if I'm going. It's not looking promising. Don't count me in on any plans.

Chard
09-18-2015, 14:16
At this point I am still not sure if I'm going. It's not looking promising. Don't count me in on any plans.

:crying Hoping for the best. I really wanted to check out that new canoe.

keg
09-18-2015, 17:58
At this time I'm 90% sure that I'll be at Rock around 2:00 PM Friday. I'm renting anyways so I can paddle with someone

BUT

There is a chance I will have to be in Toronto until 2:00 so that would mean a possible arrival time of 6:00-7:00 PM and a paddle in the dark. I should know early next week if I have to go back to Toronto before leaving but even if I don't, I'll be supervising students until noon or so might be delayed by emergencies.

76 highboy
09-18-2015, 20:57
The kayaksleeper and myself will most likely spend wed night at rock lake campground recuperating and then head out thurs at ???? time.
Shall we wait for any thursday arrivals and travel in a flotilla?.
As you know us kayaks cant carry much stuff but we'll try to bring something for the pot.What do you need?

BTW excellent Rush tune!!:cool:

Iguana
09-18-2015, 22:20
The kayaksleeper and myself will most likely spend wed night at rock lake campground recuperating and then head out thurs at ???? time.
Shall we wait for any thursday arrivals and travel in a flotilla?.
As you know us kayaks cant carry much stuff but we'll try to bring something for the pot.What do you need?

BTW excellent Rush tune!!:cool:
Rush or Cream?

I just started a new project , hoping I can still make it.

Kasuko
09-18-2015, 23:53
This is just a quick update as per Chard's request. My official stance towards this trip is that I will require a bow seat in someone's canoe. As for departure time I am completely flexible. I can do a Thursday or Friday departure.

If you have a spot but need a friend than I am your man :P

entropy
09-19-2015, 11:10
This is just a quick update as per Chard's request. My official stance towards this trip is that I will require a bow seat in someone's canoe. As for departure time I am completely flexible. I can do a Thursday or Friday departure.

If you have a spot but need a friend than I am your man :P

Seems like we've got too many people looking for the bow... I'm willing to give the stern a try though. I've been wanting to learn anyway.

The Old Boot
09-19-2015, 11:26
Seems like we've got too many people looking for the bow... I'm willing to give the stern a try though. I've been wanting to learn anyway.

Ya, it looks like we've got 4 bow paddlers and a lack of stern paddlers...:lol:

At least it's an even number of bodies. Do we draw names for paddling partners or anyone have any other suggestions!

The worst that happens is that a mile becomes a mile and a half of zigzagging down Rock!!

The only problem I have is that with me walking with hiking sticks to make sure I don't fall, I can't portage the canoe. Carrying all my own gear is a given!

entropy
09-19-2015, 13:29
Ya, it looks like we've got 4 bow paddlers and a lack of stern paddlers...:lol:

At least it's an even number of bodies. Do we draw names for paddling partners or anyone have any other suggestions!

The worst that happens is that a mile becomes a mile and a half of zigzagging down Rock!!

The only problem I have is that with me walking with hiking sticks to make sure I don't fall, I can't portage the canoe. Carrying all my own gear is a given!

Well, if you don't mind taking the scenic route, you're welcome to share a boat with me. I've got no problem portaging the canoe.

The Old Boot
09-19-2015, 13:34
Well, if you don't mind taking the scenic route, you're welcome to share a boat with me. I've got no problem portaging the canoe.

Ha, I'm willing to bet that it can't be nearly as long as the scenic route I took a few weeks ago when the guy with the map thought that the island we needed to get behind was that one wayyyyyy up there. By the time he said something about it being further than he remembered, we did about an extra mile up the lake and then back again.

One match down, I guess the other two get to argue out who sits where!!

KeeWayKeno
09-20-2015, 12:28
Just stumbled across this thread ... I'm not the most tech-savy guy, still own a VCR & the kids laugh at my cell phone. This is also my first internet 'forum' to, so forgive any minor lapses of protocol.

I've been waiting for exactly an opportunity like this! Unfortunately a trip to Saskatchewan due to a death in my wife's family supercedes what would have been my first "group hang" ... but if there's anything else in the works for October I'd love to hear about it.

Looks like you should have awesome weather, hope it's a great time for all. I'm just back from a week on Parkside Bay with my brother (his first time hammock camping, he's now an enthisiastic convert). Evening smallmouth action was terrific, no luck with specks.

Curious ... what does "EGL" stand for? Are there other Canada - Ontario groups here? (Again, apologies for my computer semi-illiteracy)

Cheers

Bubba
09-20-2015, 13:12
Hello Red. EGL stands for Eastern Great Lakes. A term coined by Chard to include any American hangers to come up and enjoy what we have to offer. There is a trip announcement thread that you can subscribe to to be notified when a trip is in the works. We try to get together for winter, spring and fall trips. You're always welcome.

KeeWayKeno
09-20-2015, 19:05
Hello Red. EGL stands for Eastern Great Lakes. A term coined by Chard to include any American hangers to come up and enjoy what we have to offer. There is a trip announcement thread that you can subscribe to to be notified when a trip is in the works. We try to get together for winter, spring and fall trips. You're always welcome.
Makes sense, thanks! I'll try to find that thread & subscribe. Have a great trip.

pop78
09-21-2015, 07:20

Can someone link that announcement thread? Would have liked to join in on this, but heading up to Ragged on Oct 2. The Life Manager wouldn't sign off on 2 weekends in a row ;) Hopefully I can get in on the Spring hang.

Chard
09-21-2015, 09:06
Hi all,

Hey Pop; the subscription link to EGL Notification thread can be found on my signature below.

I'm planning on being at the Rock Lake Park Office between 12 and 1pm on Thursday. If anyone wants to meet me there I'll be happy to wait for a while before heading out, just let me know.

For this week were hoping to return to the beach below the Night Lake portage. Failing that we can return to the Northern "island" or check out Jayson's recommended campsite three sites down from the beach on the east side. Either way, I'll fly my Hammock Forums flag.

Everyone's responsible for their own meals, but I'd ask that anyone wanting chowder to bring as many potatoes as they'd like to eat. I'll take care of the rest of the ingredients. We can divide it for carrying at the docks.

Confirmed

Thursday

76 Highboy (Solo Kayak)
1csleptonkayak (Solo Kayak)
The Old Boot (Tandem)
Entropy (Tandem)
Chard (Prefer Solo/Can Tandem)
Kasuko (looking for a bow seat)

Friday

Keg (90% for 2pm/10% 6-7pm)

Uncomfirmed

Bubba (if/when)
Iguana (if/when)

Keg/Iguana/Bubba: Any updates on when/if you'll be heading in and if you need a bowsman?

entropy
09-21-2015, 09:10
Hi all,

Hey Pop; the subscription link to EGL Notification thread can be found on my signature below.

I'm planning on being at the Rock Lake Park Office between 12 and 1pm on Thursday. If anyone wants to meet me there I'll be happy to wait for a while before heading out, just let me know.

For this week were hoping to return to the beach below the Night Lake portage. Failing that we can return to the Northern "island" or check out Jayson's recommended campsite three sites down from the beach on the east side. Either way, I'll fly my Hammock Forums flag.

Everyone's responsible for their own meals, but I'd ask that anyone wanting chowder to bring as many potatoes as they'd like to eat. I'll take care of the rest of the ingredients. We can divide it for carrying at the docks.

Confirmed

Thursday

76 Highboy (Solo Kayak)
The Old Boot (Tandem)
Entropy (Tandem)
Kasuko (looking for a bow seat)

Friday

Uncomfirmed

Bubba (if/when)
Iguana (if/when)

Keg/Iguana/Bubba: Any updates on when/if you'll be heading in and if you need a bowsman?
Oldboot and I will be at Rock between 12-1 as well.

Chard
09-21-2015, 09:17
Oldboot and I will be at Rock between 12-1 as well.

Excellent. Would you consider possibly getting a 3-man and perhaps bring Kasuko along as well if necessary? I can bring Kasuko, but my canoe is quite slow and tippy when going as a 2-man.

Bubba
09-21-2015, 10:05
I'm still unconfirmed at this point.:(

entropy
09-21-2015, 10:14
Excellent. Would you consider possibly getting a 3-man and perhaps bring Kasuko along as well if necessary? I can bring Kasuko, but my canoe is quite slow and tippy when going as a 2-man.

Heh. This is going to be dodgy enough as I've never steered a canoe before... I'm worried a third person and we'd just be doing circles at the dock!

ggreaves
09-21-2015, 11:42
ok, I'm going to come for Fri-Sun. My plan is to drive up late thursday night - stay in whitney, pick up the canoe and paddle in first thing friday morning. If any of the bow paddlers looking for a seat want to join me, please let me know asap. Otherwise, I'll rent a solo.

ggreaves
09-21-2015, 11:45
it looks like I'm #10. Should I grab another permit? It's 9 to a site, correct?

Iguana
09-21-2015, 11:47
Still not confirmed .But if I do make it it will be Thursday - Saturday

Chard
09-21-2015, 12:44
it looks like I'm #10. Should I grab another permit? It's 9 to a site, correct?

Glad you can make it! Sure, go ahead and book that reservation for Pen and maybe you can get Keg to join in on it, since you're both Fri-Sun.

Still not confirmed .But if I do make it it will be Thursday - Saturday

That's also good news. If you can make it, are you looking for a bowsman on the way in?

Kasuko/Old Boot, if you want a Friday launch, it sounds like you can hook up with Ggreaves, otherwise one way or another we'll get you onboard one of the Thursday canoes.

Kasuko
09-21-2015, 13:02
Sorry guys, I have bad news. I am actually going to have to bail on this trip. I have been looking forward to it all year and I haven't been out yet this year. Though right now I am going through some chaotic times and I am not working at the moment and something has come up that may be quite beneficial for my future.

I apologize for the short notice.

Have extra fun for me and I look forward to reading the great trip reports. See you all in the new year.

Chard
09-21-2015, 13:13
Sorry guys, I have bad news. I am actually going to have to bail on this trip. I have been looking forward to it all year and I haven't been out yet this year. Though right now I am going through some chaotic times and I am not working at the moment and something has come up that may be quite beneficial for my future.

I apologize for the short notice.

Have extra fun for me and I look forward to reading the great trip reports. See you all in the new year.

Every silver lining has it's cloud. You'll be missed, but good luck and I hope everything works out.

Maybe we'll see you in Valens or on a winter hang. I've just started working out on the elliptical so I don't have a repeat of last winter's near death experience.:scared:

keg
09-21-2015, 15:48
I'll bring some fresh crusty bread in Friday for the chowder. Still not 100% sure of my arrival time but it should be in daylight hours. If needed I could take a bow paddler. I'm sure I could switch my reservation at AO to a tandem.

Don't know if anyone will have reception but I'd appreciate a text or email saying where on Pen you end up if possible.

entropy
09-21-2015, 17:33
Don't know if anyone will have reception but I'd appreciate a text or email saying where on Pen you end up if possible.

I believe someone was able to text out last year? Here is Pen Lake from Jeff's Algonquin Map. The Red Circle next to the Night Lake portage is where we were last year. Its a great site for a large group and overflow campers can just zip across the lake to the other site. Tons of easy firewood if you wander down the portage a bit. The Island (blue circle) is apparently also nice.

keg
09-21-2015, 21:05
Yeah. I was at the hang on the island a couple years ago. Two sites and nice and spread out.

I took a quick look at the Ontario parks reservation site and 8 of the 16 sites on Pen are booked for Thursday and only 2 are still available Friday night. Hopefully you Thursday people will be able to get a nice one.

I have a new piece of gear I'm excited to use. I got tired of my tiny 6 oz flask so I picked up a nice 16 oz thermos for my scotch. I do have a little buyers remorse though since they had a 24 oz one for only a couple bucks more.

Chard
09-21-2015, 22:31
Well, how about this?

Let's try to stake out the island first. If it's free we put up a tarp to hold it and then check the beach site below the Night Lake portage. If the beach site is free, we set up another tarp there and go back and get our first tarp. If they're both taken we'll work our way down the east shore and then back up the west. Jayson recommended the 4th site below the portage. People coming in later can look for all the canoes and the HF flag.

Ted/1cslept, if you guys want to head in early feel free. It'll be easy to spot two kayaks pulled up when we eventually do follow.

ggreaves
09-22-2015, 10:08
Yeah. I was at the hang on the island a couple years ago. Two sites and nice and spread out.

I took a quick look at the Ontario parks reservation site and 8 of the 16 sites on Pen are booked for Thursday and only 2 are still available Friday night. Hopefully you Thursday people will be able to get a nice one.

I have a new piece of gear I'm excited to use. I got tired of my tiny 6 oz flask so I picked up a nice 16 oz thermos for my scotch. I do have a little buyers remorse though since they had a 24 oz one for only a couple bucks more.

Did you get a second permit? I haven't booked one yet.

keg
09-22-2015, 13:16
Did you get a second permit? I haven't booked one yet.

I haven't. We're at 8 confirmed so I wasn't planning on it. Would make sense though if we do get a second permit it's in your name since you'll be there hours before me.

If you do get one you can pm me the details.

Chard
09-22-2015, 13:31
Confirmed

Thursday(Main group at dock 12-1 pm)

76 Highboy (Solo Kayak)
The Old Boot (Tandem)
Entropy (Tandem)

Friday

Ggreaves

Uncomfirmed

Bubba (if/when)
Iguana (if/when)

It also looks like only 3 sites are booked for Wednesday night, so that a little promising.

ggreaves
09-22-2015, 13:48
I got the last permit for Friday night on Pen. I should be there fairly early on Friday. Keg, I've sent you the permit info. Ted/1cslept, if you're first there on Thursday, you should each get on a separate permit - Mine is under "Greg Greaves". I think Chard has the other one. That way we can get both sites on the island if you're there early enough.

Chard
09-23-2015, 13:47
I've sent all of the reservation info to 1csleptonkayak, 76 highboy, Bubba, entropy, Iguana, The Old Boot and Keg. With you and Keg on your reservation, we should be covered.

The Island's pretty nice although the I think the Beach is better overall. Good landing, swimming and firewood. Given that the island is really attached to the mainland by a narrow spit, it's not even as "critter-proof*" as a real island can be.

*Yeah, yeah, bears can swim... But at least on an island you off their beaten track around the lake. Just be sure you don't grill meats or cook bacon and you should be fine.:cool:

entropy
09-23-2015, 17:37
Anyone wanna borrow a squirrel cooker for the weekend? (someone needs to hold my creditcard for my for a few weeks after these trips...)

Bubba
09-28-2015, 00:09
Another great trip in the books as Chard likes to say, albeit too short for me. Thanks to all who attended. Hopefully a trip report will follow.

pop78
09-30-2015, 06:01
How were the bugs this time of year? I've heard they are not quite gone yet...

The Old Boot
09-30-2015, 06:08
Not a bug in sight!!

My last trip 3 weeks ago was the same!

pop78
09-30-2015, 06:12
Good to hear! I'm heading up Friday for 3 days.

Bubba
09-30-2015, 07:02

It's cooling down so you should get better colours than we had. Have fun!

Chard
09-30-2015, 08:03

It's cooling down so you should get better colours than we had. Have fun!

With no bugs and cooler nights, you should be in for a better display of fall colours than we had. Even over the four days we were there, there was a noticable change; an extra week should make a difference.

Bubba
10-01-2015, 22:52
Trip report here:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/116161-EGL-Fall-hang-Algonquin-Provincial-Park-Soups-On!?p=1523972#post1523972
Hope there are more pictures to be added! I'm looking at you entropy.