PDA

View Full Version : Best Camp Sites on the Buffalo River Trail

nlgardner12
08-18-2015, 12:53
Going on a trip to the BRT in Arkansas soon. We will probably be enting at the Ponca low water bridge. Are there any particularly good places to set up a couple of hammocks? Should we go to another section of the trail with better views? Thanks

paleus
08-18-2015, 14:39
There's a good spot where Sneeds Creek enters the Buffalo. It is a short trip to Hemmed-In Hollow falls from there as well. You can get there from Compton or Centerpoint trailheads (both are pretty steep). Or take the Old River Trail from Kyle's Landing when the river is low, which it is usually during the summer, fall, and winter. There's also Big Bluff trail (the Goat trail) that goes up on some bluffs with some good views.
Here's some good info: http://www.buffaloriver.com/top-hiking-trails/

nlgardner12
08-18-2015, 16:27
Thanks for the tips. We will be going at the end of October or beginning of November. I'll check out the spots you recommended.

hawghangar
09-12-2015, 22:15
Hammocks are ideal in this area because there are lots of trees and mostly rocky ground. I always have easier time finding a good hang spot along the trail than my companions with tents. I avoid camping in the campgrounds and prefer camping along the trail. At most all of the creek crossings, there are established fire rings and good camp sites. We typically plan our camp sites to be near these crossings so we can harvest water for cooking and camp.