PDA

View Full Version : New Whoopie color!

pgibson
10-21-2009, 18:04
Hey Guys I just got off the phone and have confirmed an order on a custom Amsteel order of "Arrowhead Gunmetal" It will be a very deep grey-bordering on black. Very Stealth http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSS/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-054.gif

I will have it up for sale in Whoopie Slings in the next hour. And I will have some pictures to share in a day or two of the first batch of slings made up ready to ship by the weekend.

Shug
10-21-2009, 21:17
You go, go go pgibson.
Love your enthusiasm!!!!!
Good on ya'
Shug

pgibson
10-21-2009, 21:56
Thank yee, Shug! I am trying to build on the momentum we have going and get the people what they want :D And I get the feeling they want everything :) So were going to try.

pgibson
10-27-2009, 20:21
Well its in stock and going quick!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2466/4050999859_d7d5c3bd3f.jpg

I have already gone half way through a full spool so this will not last long!

They are available at this address in the store.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/974922

I am doing them the same as my regular Whoopie Slings (also available in the store along with other suspension accessories)

Paul

Pastorus
10-27-2009, 23:31
I just bought a couple of the dark whoopie slings. While I have taken great delight in splicing my own whoopie slings, It is a delight to do business with a fellow HF member.

I just can't seem get enough black camping gear. Even if I don't need something, if it shows up for sale in black, I must buy it. My compulsion for stealth worries me. Could it be that I have a secret NSA/CIA influence that has programed my purchases?:unsure:

Big D
10-27-2009, 23:40
Well its in stock and going quick!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2466/4050999859_d7d5c3bd3f.jpg

I have already gone half way through a full spool so this will not last long!

They are available at this address in the store.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/974922

I am doing them the same as my regular Whoopie Slings (also available in the store along with other suspension accessories)

Paul

Thats bound to be my order! HAHAHAHA!

pgibson
10-27-2009, 23:44
Well actually some of it there probably is :) Just a bunch of loops off the end of the spool.

Big D
10-28-2009, 06:43
I really like this darker color.

lazy river road
10-28-2009, 06:48
Ive been reading a lot about woopie slings, how their made (splice the rope then use a needle to run one end of the rope through the middle of the rope), what their made of (amstel blue rope in shug's case black) but I dont quite get how they work....I understand that their the lightest suspension system for a hammock....in simple words can some one explain how these suspension systems work vs a traditional strap system....does a woopie system help with less slipage/sagging of the hammock...Thanks HF

Hooch
10-28-2009, 07:01
http://www.frik-n-frak.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/Novelty/fringer_trap1.jpg&maxx=500&maxy=0

Think Chinese finger trap. When the outer part of the splice is weighted, it acts like a Chinese finger trap, squeezing around the bury and keeping it in place, and thus, not allowing it to slip.There are tons of suspension options out there, but I like the whoopie sling the best.

lazy river road
10-28-2009, 07:18
Hooch that is the best explanation ever very simple and now I totally understand the concept of the sling (thx for the picture good visual)....thank you very much.....

Pastorus
11-02-2009, 15:30
When I asked Paul if the knife comes with the slings, he said no, but he might be willing to add some blades to his inventory. Today I received my dark stealth whoopie slings. There is large writing on the envelope, "NO KNIFE." :lol: I guess he just wanted to make sure that I understood. :lol:
The slings look great. I can't wait to get them on my BB. Thanks Paul!

Quoddy
11-02-2009, 15:51
The Gunmetal Black color intrigued me, too, so I ordered a set from Paul. Got them today, and yes, they look as good or better than the photo. They sure seem hefty next to the couple of 7/64" sets I have. Weight comparison (both are 6')... 2.2oz vs 1.4oz for the 7/64". I'm thinking that the Gunmetal Black will go on my BlackBird, and the gray 7/64 will stay on my Traveler.

pgibson
11-02-2009, 16:18
Hey Guys glad they are getting to you already. And glad you like them. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Paul

Big D
11-11-2009, 19:03
Hi Paul,
I finally got to try the BBO and whoopie slings on my BB! Both are well made, and I appreciate you working with me on the slings. Thanks!

pgibson
11-11-2009, 20:32
Hi Paul,
I finally got to try the BBO and whoopie slings on my BB! Both are well made, and I appreciate you working with me on the slings. Thanks!

You bet, let me know if I can help with any thing else. :D

Hooch
11-13-2009, 08:21
Anyone who knows me knows my affinity for the colors olive and orange. I just ordered some orange Amsteel from Paul and can't wait to make Whoopie Slings with it for my BlackBird! :thumbup1:

pgibson
11-13-2009, 18:19
Anyone who knows me knows my affinity for the colors olive and orange. I just ordered some orange Amsteel from Paul and can't wait to make Whoopie Slings with it for my BlackBird! :thumbup1:

Yes in deed that orange is a cool color, but I like them all so I am stocking every color that they have available and am in talks to have some more stealthy colors made for AHE. I am also going to pick up 7/64th' soon to offer by the foot along with the 1/8th that we have been carrying.

I have had a couple questions why I don't offer whoopies in 7/64th' and basicaly for me it comes down to yes the 7/64th' is plenty strong, but if one of my slings were to drop somebody not only would they be sore they would be sore at me. So I know the 1/8th is totally over kill on the spec side of the fence but on the I don't want any body dropped side I choose to error on the side of a large safety margin.

O and I just received the order shipping info on my light weight mini carabiners! :D They will be in stock on Tuesday, so I will add them to the store tonight.

Yes that is 1" webbing! They come in green and brown and will be sold as a pair.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2599/4101091357_8b83048614.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/4101845936_602864ba8b.jpg

They weigh just 23 grams each are stronger than the camp nano biner and at least as small.

opie
11-13-2009, 21:39
I have had a couple questions why I don't offer whoopies in 7/64th' and basicaly for me it comes down to yes the 7/64th' is plenty strong, but if one of my slings were to drop somebody not only would they be sore they would be sore at me. So I know the 1/8th is totally over kill on the spec side of the fence but on the I don't want any body dropped side I choose to error on the side of a large safety margin.

When I first placed an order to Amsteel I was thinking the same thing. My first order was for some 1/8.

Then, once I started making them, I figured it only prudent to put them to a good test, the 7/64 that is.

I loaded up my double nest almost to rated capacity with me and both my kids using a set of 7/64 with the dead eye built into the ENO channel and no issues. I thought for sure I was going to end up on the ground, but didnt. Actually bent one of the poles I use in the yard for stringing my hammock up.

Your store looks great. Youve dont a good job on it. You must not sleep. :)

pgibson
11-13-2009, 22:27
When I first placed an order to Amsteel I was thinking the same thing. My first order was for some 1/8.

Then, once I started making them, I figured it only prudent to put them to a good test, the 7/64 that is.

I loaded up my double nest almost to rated capacity with me and both my kids using a set of 7/64 with the dead eye built into the ENO channel and no issues. I thought for sure I was going to end up on the ground, but didnt. Actually bent one of the poles I use in the yard for stringing my hammock up.

Your store looks great. Youve dont a good job on it. You must not sleep. :)

Sleep what that? ay?

I started rock climbing when I was 12, started caving at 18, done a lot of very technical vertical caves, climbed some harry stuff. In climbing and caving we have a term that has made it's way into other things, and ways of talking about gear. BOMB PROOF basically when it comes to those activities your gear has to be bomb proof, your life and the life of your climbing/caving partners depend on the gear not failing. There is no room for error, no room for mistake, no room for failure. It needs to be so good that no matter what goes wrong it will not fail, or you die, period. I have been in caves where we depend on a single rope, a single set of anchors to be bomb proof or we don't come back out of that cave.

Now of corse hanging in you hammock 2 foot off the ground is nothing like that, but for me, being liable to my customers for them breaking a tail bone and having to hike out with it, I look at my gear the same way, it has to be bomb proof. I am not putting into question the strength of the 7/64th amsteel. I am looking at how I want my product to preform over it's usable life span. I have to know that no mater how a person uses the product it will preform as advertised no matter what. I know that the 1/8 inch will hold up a VW bug. I know that if need be someone could tow a truck down the freeway at 80 MPH with my slings (not recommended!) I have nothing against the 7/64th material at all, and Opie I hope you do not take my general response to questions on my choices as anything directed at you or your slings, as they were not, I am just explaining my position on my gear making philosophy. Truth be told I am very happy that you are offering custom options to folks, I just do not have the time to do it, I need some sleep somedays :D You have had a couple ideas that I have not had the time to execute and bring to my store, the key chains look cool, I was just going to dead eye both ends :D but the mini whoopie is very cool.

Paul aka Caveyeti

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/4101497259_5ac1e91f2b.jpg

opie
11-13-2009, 23:02
Paul... No offense taken. I know your responses arent directed at anyone particular.

I too, hold myself to a very high standard. And I understand your philosophy. I was very speptical about the 7/64. I kept looking at it and thinking "NO WAY, is that going to hold just me in the hammock." Thats why I loaded my ENO up.

Next week Im going to give 1, 7/64 sling a dead weight test. We have a McElroy 618 HDPE fusing machine that weighs about 1335 lbs. Im going to see if the sling in the configuration I make them can take the load.

Oh.. Dont is supposed to be done....

Your store looks great. Youve dont a good job on it. You must not sleep

optimator
11-13-2009, 23:41
Sleep what that? ay?

I started rock climbing when I was 12, started caving at 18, done a lot of very technical vertical caves, climbed some harry stuff. In climbing and caving we have a term that has made it's way into other things, and ways of talking about gear. BOMB PROOF basically when it comes to those activities your gear has to be bomb proof, your life and the life of your climbing/caving partners depend on the gear not failing. There is no room for error, no room for mistake, no room for failure. It needs to be so good that no matter what goes wrong it will not fail, or you die, period. I have been in caves where we depend on a single rope, a single set of anchors to be bomb proof or we don't come back out of that cave.

Now of corse hanging in you hammock 2 foot off the ground is nothing like that, but for me, being liable to my customers for them breaking a tail bone and having to hike out with it, I look at my gear the same way, it has to be bomb proof. I am not putting into question the strength of the 7/64th amsteel. I am looking at how I want my product to preform over it's usable life span. I have to know that no mater how a person uses the product it will preform as advertised no matter what. I know that the 1/8 inch will hold up a VW bug. I know that if need be someone could tow a truck down the freeway at 80 MPH with my slings (not recommended!) I have nothing against the 7/64th material at all, and Opie I hope you do not take my general response to questions on my choices as anything directed at you or your slings, as they were not, I am just explaining my position on my gear making philosophy. Truth be told I am very happy that you are offering custom options to folks, I just do not have the time to do it, I need some sleep somedays :D You have had a couple ideas that I have not had the time to execute and bring to my store, the key chains look cool, I was just going to dead eye both ends :D but the mini whoopie is very cool.

Paul aka Caveyeti

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/4101497259_5ac1e91f2b.jpg

Lava tube cave? It looks like Crystal at the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument. The Lava Beds, aka my happy place:boggle:

pgibson
11-13-2009, 23:47
Crystal Ice Cave, the Great Rift, fracture cave in the Creators of the Moon greater management area. 50 miles from the nearest town, 20 miles from the nearest house. 75 foot rappel in through a hidden entrance. :D The floor in that pick looks like water, but it was solid ice, clear as it comes.

optimator
11-15-2009, 21:44
Here's a few from my last trip into Crystal Cave at the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument. It's just outside of Tulelake, Ca.

srestrepo
11-16-2009, 14:31
I know that if need be someone could tow a truck down the freeway at 80 MPH with my slings (not recommended!)

thats too funny... working in the insurace biz, i just had to say - nice disclaimer.