PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone camped in the ENO in winter?

Arson
10-22-2009, 13:27
I live in Indiana and Like camping in colder weather. My worry is that the ENO is too thin for colder temps: around 30 degrees or so. I was thinking of a double ENO with a single ENO sandwiched under it along with my therm-a-rest pad and space blanket, probably some equipment, etc.
Hypothermia is a peaceful death, but I'd rather avoid it if possible. Any opinions would be great.

east_stingray
10-22-2009, 13:38
Pony up for a hammock with a pad pocket, like the BB. You won't be disappointed.

Hawk-eye
10-22-2009, 14:00
Do a little crusing in the forums on UQ's ... the ENO is fine for winter ... but you'll need to get into some insulation and a good tarp (not an ENO tarp for sure). Check out the ENO strings too.

Hetairoi
10-22-2009, 14:03
I've slept in an eno double with a pad and a sock and been toasty in the lower 40s and I'm very cold natured. There are DIY instructions for socks here I think and I know at JustJeff's site (yep, here's a link (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html)).

Also, eno has a new synthetic uq out, there should be some reviews by now if you use search.

chiefams
10-22-2009, 14:12
I've slept in an ENO single down to 30* with simply a twenty degree bag and a fleece liner.... i'm a warm sleeper though.. Like everyone else said though, its about the insulation, not the hammock

headchange4u
10-22-2009, 14:12
I've sleep in a single layer hammock in freezing temps and done just fine. Just throw the pad inside tha hammock with you and you'll be fine...

Randy
10-22-2009, 14:27
I like that "sock " idea...

Arson
10-22-2009, 15:39
Thanks, everyone. You've given me hope as a newbie without a ton of cash for feathers. I may have to give the ENO a try.

east_stingray
10-22-2009, 15:55
Take a look at what the whole package will cost you with an ENO and compare it to the other options available before you jump. I did that and realized I'd be in for a chunk of change for the "cheap" setup. Consider also that if you buy a BB or HH you'll be able to turn it over on the forum in a matter of hours if you decide it's not for you. That's probably not true with the ENO.

Off topic- are you an IDPA or USPSA competitor? I swear, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" was their MOTTO or something... I heard it ALL the time :D

stormcrow
10-22-2009, 16:07
I have use an ENO single down to 10 degrees at Mt Rogers last year. Like other said it is not about the hammock but about the insulation. I got an Segmented Pad Extender (SPE) and stuck some wally world pads in there. I am not saying that I like rolling around on pads in a hammock (I am a DIY quilt user all the way) is all that fun but it ALWAYS beats sleeping on the ground.

I love my eno winter setup. The hammock is so light that it enables me to spend the ounces on insulation.

Stormcrow

thecrumb
10-22-2009, 16:17
You of course want to try this out in your backyard where you can bail and go inside if it gets too cold :)

My KAQ is by far best investment I've made in hammocking so far... :laugh:

Jim

Arson
10-22-2009, 16:30
Take a look at what the whole package will cost you with an ENO and compare it to the other options available before you jump. I did that and realized I'd be in for a chunk of change for the "cheap" setup. Consider also that if you buy a BB or HH you'll be able to turn it over on the forum in a matter of hours if you decide it's not for you. That's probably not true with the ENO.

Off topic- are you an IDPA or USPSA competitor? I swear, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" was their MOTTO or something... I heard it ALL the time :D

In this set up the only thing I would need to buy would be the hammock. I'm thinking of one of those $16 hammocks from walmart or Amazon for the under hammock.
Off topic: I don't know what those letters stand for, so I'm not a part of them. I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic, and I say "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." in the back of the Ambulance when the EMT's get a little panicked during those serious runs'. i.e.: Cardiac Arrests, Pediatric runs. It seems to work most of the time. It's become my mantra.

shrek
10-23-2009, 05:42
I've slept in my ENO Single down to 9 degrees, with just a pad, 20 degree bag, and an extra blanket on top. As others have said, it's not the hammock, but the insulation.

Hawk-eye
10-23-2009, 08:19
You of course want to try this out in your backyard where you can bail and go inside if it gets too cold :)
My KAQ is by far best investment I've made in hammocking so far... :laugh:

Jim

Hey that's excellent advice and I'll agree whole heartedly with on you on the KAQ ... works great, good price and I don't have to worry about it if it gets soaked!

Arson
11-06-2009, 21:58
Well I took the plunge and bought a Doublenest. Well, not really a plunge I guess. My friend owns a river supply place and gave me a great discount on an already inexpensive hammock. He wants me to order an Ember so he can check it out before he orders a bunch of them. He said he would make it worth my while. Tempting.

Bearpaw
11-07-2009, 20:34
I use the ENO Doublenest with a DIY primaloft underquilt down to freezing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20Trail%20Mar%2009/023a.jpg

Combining that with a closed cell foam pad, I've comfortably used it down to 18 F.

joggerjohn
12-09-2009, 21:57
I have often used a ENO with a kickass quilt down below freezing up here in northern New York State. I used to do quite commonly.

TNhitman
12-14-2009, 22:14
Eno Doubles are the best for winter camping IMO summer you will need a bug net though! Get a 3/4 underquilt stormcrow makes a good one for a very fair price.

joggerjohn
12-14-2009, 23:34
Eagle Nest Hammocks hang great with the KickAssQuilt in the early spring and late summer.

Hangin' Burrito
12-16-2009, 07:27
All I have are ENO hammocks. I've modified my main one so I have a permanent bug net, side pullouts and two full length zippers. Much the same as the Switchback.;)

I've slept very comfortably down to 20*f with a DIY primaloft UQ. The Taffeta fabric is wonderful feeling, and the Doublenest is wide enough to get a good diagonal lay in.

Great hammock but........I'm not impressed with anything else ENO produces.:(

turk
12-16-2009, 19:31
i have slept in an ENO single in the canadian subarctic below -47 deg. No pad,
2 JRB UQ's, full mummy bag, and JRB top quilt. the hammock itself was great.
I had to sleep a little straighter than i normally like, and end covers improvised out of
my parka and snow pants were crucial in keeping the cold from creeping into the ends
of the UQ's even when drawn up very tight. The ENO single was otherwise a flawless
sleep.

lapsjd
01-01-2010, 22:46
I've been comfortable down to 20 deg. I have a double nest that I throw a thermarest pad in and a Montbell 10 degree down bag. I use a Jacks-R-Better cat tarp.

opossumlee
03-31-2010, 22:26
Me and my brother Hogn8r this winter in TX just had to go camping(made a special trip)on what we knew would be the coldest night of our winter for testing gear.I used my ENO single with OCF pad with fleece blanket around it. a O' mummy bag my feet got cold(my fault)but the rest of me was fine temp.that morning was 17degrees

Zachalope
09-03-2010, 22:51
I regularly camp in the winter here in North Carolina in the winter. Coldest I've been out in a hammock in is 20. In the cold I use an old military mummy bag b/c it doesn't seem to compress as much and I also have a cheap ($5ish) 4x6 foot fleece blanket from wally world that i put under my head back and rear for insulation b/c fleece doesn't compress much therefor offering good insulation. It doesn't pack down very small, but most of the winter camping we do is not far from the car. I also am a very hot sleeper though. I find that if I set up where the wind isn't coming in the head or foot end of the tarp instead hitting the side that goes almost to the ground I stay warmer.