PDA

View Full Version : NJ > Stokes St Forest > 3rd Annual Stokes State Forest Hang, Oct 23-25

mrcheviot
09-08-2015, 11:01
UPDATED INFO HERE (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/115020-NJ-gt-Stokes-St-Forest-gt-3rd-Annual-Stokes-State-Forest-Hang-Oct-23-25?p=1521418&viewfull=1#post1521418)

The Tree Frog
09-08-2015, 17:37
Unfortunately, I will miss this year. Not available that weekend. Have a great time everyone.

Swizzlestick
09-08-2015, 17:53
I was looking forward to this, but I'm not available that weekend! Darn!

mrcheviot
09-09-2015, 09:37
Sorry to hear that you guys won't be able to make it.

The weekend that's worked well for the past two years (and was chosen again this year) is 2 weeks following MAHHA, which is the same weekend as NEHHA, and is the weekend before Halloween. That seems to align the best with people's schedules during October.

Suede
09-09-2015, 17:10
Unfortunately Nyquil and I can't make it either..

fallkniven
09-09-2015, 17:11
There's a chance I may pop my head in

The Tree Frog
09-09-2015, 17:36
Sorry to hear that you guys won't be able to make it.

The weekend that's worked well for the past two years (and was chosen again this year) is 2 weeks following MAHHA, which is the same weekend as NEHHA, and is the weekend before Halloween. That seems to align the best with people's schedules during October.

Nothing wrong with the date except it conflicts with a non-recurring family function this year. Seems a few dropped out. If other dates are considered due to conflicts, I may be back in.

SilvrSurfr
09-09-2015, 18:30
I'll probably be there.

Pro Vagabond
09-14-2015, 19:48
I hope to be there, but I have to check the work schedule... need to hang!!!!

mychal
09-14-2015, 21:06
I might come Friday night with a couple kids and leave early Saturday.

Zilla
09-15-2015, 00:43
Would there be more members able to attend if we moved the dates?, say 2 weeks later, the weekend after halloween?,, i think i would like to make it this year, first time for me at stokes., could make for a colder hang, get ready for winter hang.

perrito
09-15-2015, 08:33
I'm in! Looking forward to another fun hang.

The Tree Frog
09-15-2015, 18:27
Would there be more members able to attend if we moved the dates?, say 2 weeks later, the weekend after halloween?,, i think i would like to make it this year, first time for me at stokes., could make for a colder hang, get ready for winter hang.

I don't expect the dates to change, but if you did I think I could make it the week after Halloween.

mrcheviot
09-15-2015, 18:37
For continuity sake I'd personally rather hold off on switching dates of the "annual" hang unless it was overwhelmingly supported by potential attendees.

There was a another late Nov hang in Stokes last year, and FWIW mattyoc20 and I have talked briefly about an early Dec hang since our wives are both pregnant (expecting 3 weeks apart on either side on New Years) so neither of us will be making the NJ Winter Hang this year.

So chances are good there'll be another Stokes hang a few weeks after this like last year. The combination of access, price, and quality sites make this park a great spot year round.

Ratdog
09-16-2015, 13:05
Life's been crazy these past few months, look forward to this.
And yes, I will be delivering gear hammocks and other stuff at this event.

mrcheviot
09-16-2015, 13:10
Life's been crazy these past few months, look forward to this.
And yes, I will be delivering gear hammocks and other stuff at this event.

I totally agree about crazy life the past few months.. My DIY bug was firmly squashed at the end of April, but made it out last weekend (to Stokes incidentally) and my interest has been renewed. I have a few things to bring and show in that regard, always like learning & sharing more.

I liked your MAHHA suggestions for demo's/workshops/etc., was thinking about snatching the list and figuring out if there are 1-3 that would be of interest to this group. Any thoughts? I can also bring my Hammeck stand if there's interest in a (diy) hammock rotisserie...

mrcheviot
09-16-2015, 13:11
I'm in! Looking forward to another fun hang.

I fist pumped.. and said a prayer that you'd be cooking again ;)

El Gordo
09-16-2015, 23:20
I'm in, work permitting.

mrcheviot
09-17-2015, 06:54
I'll get a comprehensive info post up in the next week or so. Please do not reserve any sites yet!

On that note, can someone from NJ who's definitely in PM me please re: site reservation?

Ratdog
09-17-2015, 13:03
I fist pumped.. and said a prayer that your wife would be cooking again ;)

fixed it for ya :cool:

Crash
09-19-2015, 10:06
A hammock hangout three weekends in a row! Maybe I can get all three in. Stokes is only a 40 minute ride from home. I missed the other Stokes trips because of work.

perrito
09-21-2015, 09:26
fixed it for ya :cool:
Ha ha! Definitely the wife's cooking!
I guess I'll have to be extra nice to her for a whole month! :sleep:
I'm definitely going to try and get her to at least stop by this time.

Time for a sign-up list?

mrcheviot
09-21-2015, 09:38
Yeah, signup sheet is coming shortly - just trying to finalize some details re: the site.

I'll be cooking some spicy black bean squash soup this year, and as promised last year (and much to Ratdog's delight), MIDNIGHT SNACK is going to be an official meal on the planning sheet.

Zilla
09-21-2015, 16:31
Yeah, signup sheet is coming shortly - just trying to finalize some details re: the site.

I'll be cooking some spicy black bean squash soup this year, and as promised last year (and much to Ratdog's delight), MIDNIGHT SNACK is going to be an official meal on the planning sheet.

Yeah,,MIDNIGHT SNACK is going to be an official meal on the planning sheet.

I like the way Ratdog thinks.

sqidmark
09-23-2015, 14:51
I live in the area and I'm wondering if it's acceptable to stop in just to check things out and talk to folks about their equipment. Maybe my wife and I could briefly test some of the various hammocks out? Do any vendors show up at these things?

I just bought a Grand Trunk UL for my wife and I to try out, but don't yet have any suspension. I did hang it in the back yard one day using motorcycle tie downs. Trees are pretty far apart combined with a short hammock. Certainly not an ideal setup, even using a ladder to push the straps higher up the trees left the hammock a bit too taught. I have in mind the Dutchware "Cinch Buckle Complete Suspension", but it would be nice to first see these kinds of things in use and ask questions.

Tim

mrcheviot
09-23-2015, 15:24
I live in the area and I'm wondering if it's acceptable to stop in just to check things out and talk to folks about their equipment. Maybe my wife and I could briefly test some of the various hammocks out? Do any vendors show up at these things?

I just bought a Grand Trunk UL for my wife and I to try out, but don't yet have any suspension. I did hang it in the back yard one day using motorcycle tie downs. Trees are pretty far apart combined with a short hammock. Certainly not an ideal setup, even using a ladder to push the straps higher up the trees left the hammock a bit too taught. I have in mind the Dutchware "Cinch Buckle Complete Suspension", but it would be nice to first see these kinds of things in use and ask questions.

Tim

Hey Tim,

You're welcome to stop by, hang out, and stay over too!! We'll collectively be able to show you lots of different types of suspension options and setups - checking out other people's setups is a great way to learn from the community.

IF you want to make the request to borrow a tarp & quilts to spend the night, this would be the place for that too.

sqidmark
09-23-2015, 16:33
Thanks mrcheviot. It's on my calendar! Would one day be better than another? I figure on Fri most are drifting in late in the day and Sun everyone has packed up and left by noon. I mostly have 3 day weekends, but my wife works Sat till 3:30 and we're about 45min away.

mrcheviot
09-24-2015, 19:40
Thanks mrcheviot. It's on my calendar! Would one day be better than another? I figure on Fri most are drifting in late in the day and Sun everyone has packed up and left by noon. I mostly have 3 day weekends, but my wife works Sat till 3:30 and we're about 45min away.

I would say Saturday is the day to show-up, esp. if you intend on trying to stay the night. We've been ,nown to linger for awhile on Sunday and discuss DIY ideas, that may or may not happen this time around.

Do I think showing up at 4:30 on Saturday is worth it? I personally do, but then again I wouldn't be going home in a few hours. Again, if you're interested in trying it out this is the space to make a request to borrow stuff, but no guarantee it'll work out of course.

mrcheviot
09-24-2015, 19:42
Quick Update -

Reservations are done, looking into firewood. Due to someone else taking our spot at Steammill we will be hanging at a NEW SPOT this year (but still at Stokes). I should get the signup sheet up in a day or two along with more details.

aircoder
09-26-2015, 18:01
I can't make this one sisters wedding but have a blast gents.

mattyoc20
09-27-2015, 05:33
First time ive been on the forum in about 2 months....my october is completely shot....Been dying to get back to stokes but i am going to have to pass as well....any chance of a winter hang at stokes this year!!!! I no Jeremy is going to be booked up early next year with "things" but maybe February?

pinballwizard
09-27-2015, 06:33
Hey guys, we are def going to MAHHA, but would love to try to make this too. Have to check the calendars and look at things first before I can 100% commit though. Congrats to Jeremy and Matt!!! Stokes was the first group hang we went to and that was such a good time, def would like to try to make it. Also, the smaller group hangs are where you REALLY eat!(you know I'm cooking SOMETHING if we are there) As far as a winter hang, I know Kristen is out on those, but I'm in on that.... Nov she "may" still be in...

mrcheviot
09-27-2015, 15:18
THIRD ANNUAL STOKES STATE FOREST HANG
OCT 23-25, 2015
HASKINS GROUP SITE H

Stokes Info & Links: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stokes.html

Link to Signup Sheet. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mguWlX7fZkggI3Djkm32PRMCqNIjoAGdtiiTfvJQUpc/edit?usp=sharing)

What: The tradition of the October Stokes Hang started 2 years ago when Knotty & JollyGreen wanted to plan an event in the area for those who couldn't make it to NEHHA or MAHHA. Being aware that many parents have commitments on Halloween, the weekend before has generally worked out. The past two versions of this hang have been at the Steam Mill site, however because our preferred site (T216) was booked I am moving the hang.

Where: This year we will be hanging at the HASKINS GROUP SITE H. My wife and I spent the weekend at Stokes recently and went around to every site in the place out of curiosity, and also to see what may and may not work for future hangs and took videos of the more promising ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWbELKAkPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_anHFkVehs

Compared to Steam Mill:

No hill.. but very deep, tons of trees, does goes back to Flatbrook for those than want to sleep in seclusion near flowing water.
The blue blazed trail runs along the back of it on the stream, so we can direct hike-in/out
Larger fire pit, larger picnic table, and larger area for pop-ups..
2 charcoal grills
Restrooms and hot showers are 100yd away
More site parking - if we can responsibly fit them, they're okay. I'm guessing the number is ~8-10 cars.
All other group sites in area are large fields; one closest to site (G) is currently unreserved, could be used for demos, frisbee, whatever.

Cost: Managing costs this year will be much easier. I recognize that with extra sites reserved last year for parking and offering people to submit large ticket food items the cost was way higher than expected. Other than what's laid out below, no other costs will be collected for. Fixed costs are $50 for the site, $100 wood, and extra parking only matters if we get a large turnout. So fixed costs are $10-15/pp. Meals are TBD, but group menu would likewise be $10-15/pp.

Site: This year the site is $50 total for both nights. No other site reservations are required.

Parking: Officially we can have 4 vehicles. Per park office, rangers are generally accommodating with cars as long as they responsibly fit on site - so due to the fact that we'll be hanging and won't need the area for tents I'm estimating we can fit 8-10 vehicles without issue. Extra cars that don't fit can be parked at the front office for $5/night (which is cheaper than prior year approach of reserving extra sites for overflow).

Firewood: Firewood delivery is being explored - if you know of anyone in the area who can deliver PM me. Otherwise we'll make arrangements and ask for volunteers to pickup wood on their way in as needed. If necessary, Dales has $8 bundles, the park office has $7 bundles which are cheapest in the area, some households have permits to sell wood from the forest which usually goes for $5/stack but it's often not seasoned and/or wet.

Meals: Going to leave this as TBD for the time being until we get a head count. In the past some people have liked to contribute a special dish, which I would suggest could be incorporated into a group menu. Also this year we are formalizing a new meal in our group camping menu: MIDNIGHT SNACK!! See signup sheet for more details.

Bathrooms/Showers: As mentioned above, this year we have sinks, flush toilets, and showers nearby with hot water. They're generally in good shape, flip flops advised.

Dogs: Unfortunately dogs are not allowed, as with all these state campgrounds. Please see the official Stokes site for all their rules. This forum is not the place to debate the state regs.

Other Info: Cell phone coverage in Stokes is pretty good. There's a market (Dales) just south of the park entrance on 206 to get sundries. There are some places further south with a selection of adult beverages.

Activities: Besides the usuals, Ratdog had a post in the MAHHA thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/113199-PA-Fall-Mahha-events?p=1497720&viewfull=1#post1497720)outlining some great ideas for demos/workshops/etc. This has inspired me to suggest that we have a Show-N-Tell!

[B]Show-n-Tell: What do you want to share, show-off, get ideas around? There's a section on the signup sheet for this, I've indicated a few I'll bring to share, some other examples could include:
Wood burning stove setup & playtime (I'll have 4 with me)
DIY projects/sharing - hammocks, fabrics, etc. (I'll have a hammock stand, several sheet bend fabrics - bring more!)
Master nesting course - bring your hiking cook kits so we can see what fits with what.
Dutch Oven Cooking/Camp Baking tips & how to's
Make your own firestarters (cotton & wax, char cloth making, simple fire starting)
Wonderful world of knives.. show them off, cut some stuff, or simple sharpening/upkeep
"My favorite of the 5,289 methods to hang a tarp / suspend an UQ..."
Hiking: There's a trail at the back of Haskins which is nice for immediate area, in years past we've both hiked and shuttled up to the AT which runs along the Kittatinny Ridge. Tillman's Ravine which is across 206 is pretty nice as well.

Fishing: There are lots of nearby streams and lakes. NJ license req'd.

What else: Suggest away. Firewood delivery contacts as mentioned above. Someone to manage group menu when headcount is clearer.

mrcheviot
09-27-2015, 15:20
Hey guys, we are def going to MAHHA, but would love to try to make this too. Have to check the calendars and look at things first before I can 100% commit though. Congrats to Jeremy and Matt!!! Stokes was the first group hang we went to and that was such a good time, def would like to try to make it. Also, the smaller group hangs are where you REALLY eat!(you know I'm cooking SOMETHING if we are there) As far as a winter hang, I know Kristen is out on those, but I'm in on that.... Nov she "may" still be in...

Would be great if you guys could make it, haven't seen you in awhile. I have a feeling there'll be another hang before the year is out, and perhaps early next year - something I'm sure will be discussed at the hang.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2015, 15:25
Can't edit the spreadsheet. I would personally suggest that we have a fixed menu. We haven't done "bring a special dish" in a long time because it usually results in massive waste and excessive costs.

mrcheviot
09-27-2015, 15:29
Can't edit the spreadsheet. I would personally suggest that we have a fixed menu. We haven't done "bring a special dish" in a long time because it usually results in massive waste and excessive costs.
I think I fixed the spreadsheet.

I'm offering soup on Friday because I can make it ahead of time. I know Perrito has something in mind for Sat dinner.

If you want to take charge of menu I'm all for it. I agree about excessive food on Sat night.

Edit: just revised the info post. I like idea of building fixed menu based on what people want to contribute, and filling in the gaps with easy group items (burgers, brauts, egg roll-ups, salad, whatever). Group meal can then be a reimbursable item so people aren't spending so much on excess food.

mychal
09-27-2015, 17:23
I might come Friday night with a couple kids and leave early Saturday.
My family can't make it after all. Have a blast!

The Tree Frog
09-27-2015, 19:59
My trip has been canceled. I am tentative again. Working some things out.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2015, 20:49
The turnout this year looks to be small, so I definitely recommend a fixed menu. If Perrito wants to bring tamales for Saturday night, then we factor that in, and reimburse him accordingly. We can also factor in the costs of Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast (coffee, bacon, eggs, tortillas, & cheese). If anybody wants to bring anything out of the kindness of their heart, unreimbursable, then we certainly won't discourage that. However, I think a base menu of reimbursable items is warranted.

Friday

Soup (mr cheviot)

Saturday

Breakfast

Bacon
Eggs
Tortillas
Cheese
Coffee

Dinner

Perrito Tamales

Sunday

Breakfast

Bacon
Eggs
Tortillas
Cheese
Coffee

So in addition to the $10 to $15 cost of lodging and firewood, we allocate an additional $5 to $10 for all meals listed. That way nobody has to worry about how much to pay for meals. If Perrito or anybody else wants to donate the meal they're preparing, then that's great: less cost for the rest of us. However, I'm not inclined to donate anything - I'd rather we figure out the amount of food we need to feed the masses, and pay the providers accordingly.

Since last year's Stokes Hang (the model for how to overspend), the Jersey hangers have been doing shared menus with remarkable success and minimal waste. I suggest we continue that model.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2015, 20:57
The first year we had 27 to 30 people; last year we had 16 to 18. This year our numbers look like 6 to 15 at most. I'd suggest we plan accordingly.

SilvrSurfr
09-27-2015, 21:22
Another thing I'd suggest: we have fixed firewood and camping costs. So if we reserve the campsite for two nights, you pay for two nights' firewood and camping costs. If you can only come one night, that's fine, but you're liable for two nights' cost.

It makes the math easier. If you cannot or will not afford two nights' cost, talk to group organizer and we'll work it out.

I realize it's not fair to pay for two nights' firewood, food and camping if you're only coming for one, but it's also not fair that the trip organizers have to carry a laptop with a spreadsheet to calculate who owes what for the weekend. It should be downright easy for the trip coordinator - each person pays X amount of dollars, regardless of when they show up.

Just a suggestion - not necessarily a decision on my part!

perrito
09-28-2015, 14:31
Firewood - I think that we should go with the kiln dried stuff that the park office sells. It's guaranteed dry and even if we go through 6 bag per night, it'll only be $84.
Tamales - not sure what I can talk the Mrs. in to. The pork in chile sauce worked out pretty well last year.
Also, I have a pretty massive tarp we can string up. Trees permitting, hopefully over the fire pit. No pallet bonfires!

SilvrSurfr
09-28-2015, 16:55
No Sunday breakfast? I didn't see it on the sheet.

mrcheviot
09-28-2015, 18:50
No Sunday breakfast? I didn't see it on the sheet.

Go ahead and add it.

If we agree to a fixed menu to doesn't really matter.

Re: wood, I agree the $7 park bundle isn't bad. Still holding out hope that a few bushels delivered will be cheaper, but I'm not married to the idea.

fallkniven
09-28-2015, 19:46
isn't part of camping collecting firewood when you get there?

The Tree Frog
09-28-2015, 22:14

And fat wood!

SilvrSurfr
09-28-2015, 22:52

Yes, and then we take hundreds of pictures of the firewood and post them on HammockForums!:lol:

As I recall, we were able to collect quite a bit of firewood two years ago.

Ratdog
09-28-2015, 23:59
Yes, and then we take hundreds of pictures of the firewood and post them on HammockForums!:lol:

As I recall, we were able to collect quite a bit of firewood two years ago.

At the other site, there was plenty of blow down and the rangers had dropped some off. I think that was the year I brought wood, walked up with an arm load and Knotty asked me if I was there for the hang.

I remember walking, sleeping, eating pizza, standing under an EZ Up in the rain with threats of a shotgun wedding. One of many hangs we both attended before we 'met'.

The new site looks to have less stuff down on the ground iirc. Might be because it's a group site that's been picked over.

Not to mention we'll likely be without our resident wood processors.

I can secure a pickup truck load of seasoned, dry firewood for a reasonable fee (say like bacon and board). But I'll be dad gummed if I'm gonna haul it up there only to have to haul some home. If I bring it, we burn it, thems the rules. :cool:

El Gordo
09-29-2015, 10:39
Well, I'm still pretty much a newbie, but I was led to believe that the distinguishing characteristic of NJ hangs was pallet fires. ;)

SilvrSurfr
09-29-2015, 10:56
Well, I'm still pretty much a newbie, but I was led to believe that the distinguishing characteristic of NJ hangs was pallet fires. ;)

That's mostly a Pine Barrens thing - I don't think it applies to the rest of the state.

Ratdog
09-29-2015, 11:18
Ok, just got a phone call, don't depend on me for wood. Still hoping to make the hang but may have to travel that weekend. Ugh.

Krust
09-30-2015, 18:02
Girlfriend just confirmed so we'll be there Friday.

mrcheviot
09-30-2015, 22:48
Thanks SS for reaching out to mods to get info in the first post.

silentorpheus
09-30-2015, 23:15
I always forget why I miss this one every year, and plan to go next year. Then it comes back around, and I remember that this always falls on my son's birthday weekend.

Wish I could make it - maybe next year :shades:

pinballwizard
10-01-2015, 00:14
I always forget why I miss this one every year, and plan to go next year. Then it comes back around, and I remember that this always falls on my son's birthday weekend.

Wish I could make it - maybe next year :shades:

is your son changing his birthdate next year:lol:

silentorpheus
10-01-2015, 00:20
is your son changing his birthdate next year:lol:

No, but next year when they post the planning thread for this again, I'll most likely forget that these are on the same weekend again, get excited about making it for a change, and then actually look at calendar and get my puppy kicked once more.

perrito
10-01-2015, 05:12
Now we know where his loyalties lie.

The Tree Frog
10-01-2015, 18:58
No, but next year when they post the planning thread for this again, I'll most likely forget that these are on the same weekend again, get excited about making it for a change, and then actually look at calendar and get my puppy kicked once more.

Maybe next year you can bring him. Getting older.

SilvrSurfr
10-01-2015, 20:09
SilentOrpheus can't use that birthday excuse every year. First year was Oct 18-20, second year was Oct 24-26, and this year is Oct 23-25. So unless his son's birthday is a week long . . . .

Hasn't the boy already registered a group hang? Isn't he due for another?

silentorpheus
10-02-2015, 09:42
SilentOrpheus can't use that birthday excuse every year. First year was Oct 18-20, second year was Oct 24-26, and this year is Oct 23-25. So unless his son's birthday is a week long . . . .

Hasn't the boy already registered a group hang? Isn't he due for another?

You're correct - I think the first year I just couldn't make it. :shades:

And yes, he is due for another, but I think that Wharton is more his speed for now.

Pro Vagabond
10-02-2015, 17:44
Officially in! Wife is coming to MAHHA with me, but this one is a solo trip for me:cool:

I signed up on the sheet and will be bringing a bunch of stuff. Looks like a much smaller group, which will still make it a great hang!

mrcheviot
10-02-2015, 21:02
Officially in! Wife is coming to MAHHA with me, but this one is a solo trip for me:cool:

I signed up on the sheet and will be bringing a bunch of stuff. Looks like a much smaller group, which will still make it a great hang!

Niiiiice!!! Are you going to bring some DIY projects to show off?

Pro Vagabond
10-12-2015, 08:13
I think I'm only bringing my big tarp because I need to restring it. I'm just looking forward to a nice cold weekend in the woods. :)

Pretbek
10-14-2015, 08:51
I'll be there.

SilvrSurfr
10-14-2015, 12:56
I love Ratdog's +26 - some jokes just make themselves!

I was gonna ask Pretbek to bring some Dutch cuisine, then I googled it and found out that "Dutch" and "cuisine" are contradictions in terms. Are you guys competing with "British cuisine" or something?

mrcheviot
10-14-2015, 13:00
Best thing that ever happened to Dutch cuisine was Indonesia.

Speaking of food, I picked up some Red & White Hots on my trip to Rochester last weekend, they seemed to be popular last year. Think I got 30 in total. Menu still needs coordinating though, TBD.

SilvrSurfr
10-14-2015, 13:08

Can't go wrong with rijsttafel - I have fond memories of food comas in the Netherlands.

mychal
10-14-2015, 14:26

Speaking of food, I picked up some Red & White Hots on my trip to Rochester last weekend, they seemed to be popular last year. Think I got 30 in total. Menu still needs coordinating though, TBD.
Zweigle's!

mrcheviot
10-14-2015, 14:33
Zweigle's!

Aye, love me some snappers! Got two dozen of them, and a half doz skinless to bring.

Ratdog
10-14-2015, 14:41
I love Ratdog's +26 - some jokes just make themselves!

Did it special just for you. :lol:

mychal
10-14-2015, 14:46
Aye, love me some snappers! Got two dozen of them, and a half doz skinless to bring.
I grew up between Rochester and 'Cuse, so they were ubiquitous at any party or BBQ. I don't like them, but they sure do make me feel fondly for home. I used to get one at Red Wings games as a kid, just because.

I only found out recently that Syracuse had Hofmann's as their own version. I never knew that growing up.

My Dad grew up in Binghamton, and he swears by Spiedies. I have to admit that I love me some Spiedies kabob sandwiches.

Don't get me started on Garbage Plates or Sal's Birdland's Sassy Sauce. Dang I'm hungry now.

Pretbek
10-15-2015, 10:06
My favorite foods in the Netherlands are Babi Pangang, shoarma (LOTS of garlic sauce), big-a$$ rijsttafels, and gyros. Very Dutch.

My grandmother did the traditional Dutch cooking: Overcooked vegetables, meat with jus (unthickened gravy), and boiled potatoes. I had that once every so many weeks and I really associate that food with the joy of visiting with my grandparents in the Hague (traditionally named 's Gravenhage, I'll be checking your pronunciation of that old name in camp).

Unfortunately my mother was a great cook, so I never got hooked on the lacking quality and imagination of traditional Dutch and English cuisine. So now when I camp I demand the refinement of brats, bacon and instant oatmeal.

The Tree Frog
10-15-2015, 19:03
I am still trying to make this. Maybe just Saturday to Sunday. Maybe with Zach.

By the way, I like Ratdog's attendees on the sign up sheet. That there's some funny stuff.

mrcheviot
10-15-2015, 19:19
I'm officially too busy to handle firewood. Can I request that someone handle this?

The park office has numbers of locals, I tried once and then lost them. I'm not attached to delivery, just thought it would simplify things.

Meal planning is underway.

I am still trying to make this. Maybe just Saturday to Sunday. Maybe with Zach.

By the way, I like Ratdog's attendees on the sign up sheet. That there's some funny stuff.

Hope you can make it!

El Gordo
10-17-2015, 16:26
What happened to the spreadsheet link in the initial post?!

mrcheviot
10-17-2015, 16:29
What happened to the spreadsheet link in the initial post?!

There's a link to the info post on page 2.

I asked a mod to replace the entire first post with that link, will ask again because now it's more confusing.

El Gordo
10-18-2015, 11:18
Howdy, folks! I put myself down for bacon, but I might bring sausage - depends on what I can get at Schwinds on Friday. I hope that's OK. And, now that I think about it, I better bring at least four pounds, unless a few of us are vegetarians.

Also, I am going to use this hang to test some backpacking recipes I've been working on for a trip my wife and I are taking at the end of the year. In my limited experience, folks eat pretty well at NJ hangs, so my home-made dehydrated meals might not appeal, but I will have a few extra if anyone wants to try. It will probably be Thai noodles in peanut sauce, vegetarian chili (my wife *is* vegetarian), and maybe polenta with peppers.

mrcheviot
10-18-2015, 19:12
Howdy, folks! I put myself down for bacon, but I might bring sausage - depends on what I can get at Schwinds on Friday. I hope that's OK. And, now that I think about it, I better bring at least four pounds, unless a few of us are vegetarians.

Also, I am going to use this hang to test some backpacking recipes I've been working on for a trip my wife and I are taking at the end of the year. In my limited experience, folks eat pretty well at NJ hangs, so my home-made dehydrated meals might not appeal, but I will have a few extra if anyone wants to try. It will probably be Thai noodles in peanut sauce, vegetarian chili (my wife *is* vegetarian), and maybe polenta with peppers.

Sounds great on both counts.

For the dehydrated meals - would they be something you'd like to prepare and offer as a side dish so more people can try them out? The menu is shaping up and I think that would fit in well.. I'll send you a PM.

mrcheviot
10-22-2015, 08:52
People have started to fill out food on sign-in sheet, thanks!

** please indicate what you can help with here and on signup sheet, I'm super busy this week and need help!! **

Per SilvrSurfs suggestion, we're doing fixed menu. Here's what it looks like so far:

Friday Dinner -

Red & White hot dogs. I already have 30 dogs in my freezer. I will get buns & condiments too.
Chilli (El Gordo) - yes, Chilli dogs!
Perhaps could use another simple side (mac/potato salad from grocery store?)
If anyone does not want hot dogs, you're on your own.

Saturday Dinner -

Mexican roast pork (Mrs Perrito)
Black bean/butternut squash/jalepeno soup (mrcheviot)
Polenta & peppers (El Gordo)
Jamaican black beans (it's on the sign up, can't access at the moment to find out from whom but thanks!!)

Sat/Sun breakfast -

Bacon (El Gordo bringing 4lbs)
Oatmeal (again, El Gordo to the rescue!)
Coffee
Eggs
Tortillas ??
Frozen Hashed Brown Potatoes
Frozen pre-cut onions & peppers
Hot sauce
As long as we have some cast iron there are lots of options, thought the above list worked well last year.

Italics are things not yet purchased/accounted for. I may be missing something on the signup sheet.

My supermarket time may be limited - is anyone avail for a run? SS I know you have a pref for the coffee you bring - is that an option?

There's also a midnight snack and people munch throughout the day so I don't feel it's necessary to have more expansive menus. Friday's meal is dead simple so it can be done quickly, in the dark, and is easily reheated if necessary.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR MIDNIGHT SNACK.
Also supplies if you have some - garbage bags, paper & plastics, paper towels
COOLERS.
Anyone have leftover charcoal from summer grilling?
ANYONE want to take charge of breakfast prep?

Food should be about $10/mouth.

Didn't see any volunteers for wood - is someone willing to get 10 bundles on their way in on Friday? That's a decent start.

Weather looks to be PERFECT, looking forward to hanging!!

Ratdog
10-22-2015, 09:30
I was going to bring a quarter cord of wood but it would have been from South Jersey and it was pointed out that wood has to be kiln dried or purchased locally.

At this point, folks should plan on purchasing "wood in a bag" from their local grocery or the park office.

I am still a maybe for the weekend, have not resolved the final obstacle in my being able to make it. Therefor, I need a NJ resident to pick up the reservation at the office. I will transfer the reservation into your name, please PM me Name, Email, Address, Phone Number and I can adjust the reservation online.

IF no one can be at the park office before it closes, they will leave the documents outside for pickup if requested.

Pro Vagabond
10-22-2015, 09:41
I have Garbage bags, paper towels, coolers, ice, and (if I have time) 2 cast iron griddles and some cast iron pans. I'm also crazy busy today and tomorrow morning because I'm looking to leave around noon and be up there mid afternoon.

Weather does looks AWESOME!

The Tree Frog
10-22-2015, 18:25
Weather looks great. Plans sound great. Comfortable number of people.

Having said that, I think I am out again. My wife has not been well and I think I need to be home.

Have fun every one!

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2015, 21:37
Crazy busy with work right now, not to mention finalizing the house after Hurricane Sandy. I'll look at this thread before I take off tomorrow - see what I can bring. I can't say what I'll be bringing right now.

Ratdog
10-22-2015, 22:05
Can you pick up the reservation?
Now I have to grab my sister's kids after school on top of everything else.

Ratdog
10-22-2015, 22:05
Otherwise I'm calling the office and asking them to leave it outside the door after the office closes.

mrcheviot
10-22-2015, 22:08
If anyone gets there before office closes we could use wood for tmw night. Seems like food is otherwise covered.

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2015, 22:36
What time do they close, 4 pm?

Ratdog
10-22-2015, 23:22
What time do they close, 4 pm?
Yep

Open daily sunrise to sunset.
Office Hours: Open daily 9 a.m. to 4 p.m

I'll call the office tomorrow and work it out. They've always been good to me...you know, because this isn't the first time I've been late to camp. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2015, 23:38
I believe you hold the personal record for late arrivals - I've seen you come in at some odd hours!:lol:

Yep

Open daily sunrise to sunset.
Office Hours: Open daily 9 a.m. to 4 p.m

I'll call the office tomorrow and work it out. They've always been good to me...you know, because this isn't the first time I've been late to camp. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2015, 23:49
Pete, I can't find any restrictions on firewood on the website. I don't think there are any. So if you wanna bring a 1/4 cord of wood, I say bring it.

Ratdog
10-22-2015, 23:56
I believe you hold the personal record for late arrivals - I've seen you come in at some odd hours!:lol:
haha, I loved it that time I arrived at 2AM and everyone was still up cooking !!:scared: :lol: :cool:

Pete, I can't find any restrictions on firewood on the website. I don't think there are any. So if you wanna bring a 1/4 cord of wood, I say bring it. Yeah, I'll grab about $75 worth.

perrito
10-23-2015, 06:46
The low tonight is forecast to be 30°. Come prepared!

Is anyone bringing an axe?

Krust
10-23-2015, 07:19
I'll be up around lake owassa?? at 2 I could grab the permits...did we get a final cost per person?

mrcheviot
10-23-2015, 07:38
I'll be up around lake owassa?? at 2 I could grab the permits...did we get a final cost per person?

Current count is 13 hangers. Site, wood & food should total $250 or thereabouts, so very close to $20/head. If anyone shows up for just Sat we can knock off $5... maybe ;)

mrcheviot
10-23-2015, 07:40
haha, I loved it that time I arrived at 2AM and everyone was still up cooking !!:scared: :lol: :cool:

Yeah, I'll grab about $75 worth.

That'd be much appreciated!

mrcheviot
10-23-2015, 07:56

Yeah, I'll grab about $75 worth.

I'm also crazy busy today and tomorrow morning because I'm looking to leave around noon and be up there mid afternoon.

PV and Krust you seem like the early arrivals so far, so can you guys coordinate with Ratdog and each other re: site permit, and possibly earlier wood? Despite the 1/4 cord, it would be nice to have a bundle or two burning before dusk for dinner, would certainly help w/ the 1/4 bag of charcoal I have for hot dogs.

and finally WEATHER (http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=41.174%2C-74.798&sp=KNJBRANC7)

aircoder
10-23-2015, 08:28
Last minute notice but I'm 80 percent sure i'll be able to make it....

Krust
10-23-2015, 08:42
Just sent my info to ratdog for the permit...there should be some wood I could grab at the lake house unless that's not allowed. Perrito I'll have my axe and some knives

BrockLeigh
10-23-2015, 08:46
My pal Tommy stocks charcoal for smoking he is bringing a bag.

Ratdog
10-23-2015, 09:21
Last minute notice but I'm 80 percent sure i'll be able to make it....
:cool:

Just sent my info to ratdog for the permit...there should be some wood I could grab at the lake house unless that's not allowed. Perrito I'll have my axe and some knives

yep, change has been made, reservation is now in your name as primary occupant...

mrcheviot
10-23-2015, 12:50
Hey everyone.. We won't be making it tonight. My wife was rear ended during the grocery run, car was towed and we're at the hospital about to have an ultrasound.

Everything seems okay, we'll prob show up early tmw but I need to sort out car rentals.

This impacts dinner for tonight of course; for breakfast we were bringing frozen potatoes and green pepper & onions.

I'll touch base later, thanks.

Ratdog
10-23-2015, 12:56
Oh man that sucks, keeping momma and baby in my thoughts.

perrito
10-23-2015, 13:18
**** Jeremy. I hope she's ok. Keep us updated.

I'm at the campsite. It looks great. I bought a couple of bags of wood in case we need them.

Krust
10-23-2015, 13:54
Hey everyone.. We won't be making it tonight. My wife was rear ended during the grocery run, car was towed and we're at the hospital about to have an ultrasound.

Everything seems okay, we'll prob show up early tmw but I need to sort out car rentals.

This impacts dinner for tonight of course; for breakfast we were bringing frozen potatoes and green pepper & onions.

Dam hope everything ok.... Stopped to get the permit but they said someone already got it so hanging at the lake house for a bit should be there within the hour

Ratdog
10-23-2015, 15:01
**** Jeremy. I hope she's ok. Keep us updated.

I'm at the campsite. It looks great. I bought a couple of bags of wood in case we need them.
You're there? What a great day for it, nice. I'm still about 12 hours out ha-ha. Who's cooking 2am chicken?

Zilla
10-23-2015, 15:21

Hope everything works out ok, best wishes to you guys.

mrcheviot
10-23-2015, 15:56
Everything is okay, there was some irregularities on the monitor when they admitted her but ultrasound and observation are all clear.

We're picking up rental SUV in the morning, we should be to the site around 11 or so.

Not sure if it makes sense to just swap Perrito's pork and the hot dogs on the menu, or if you all figured out an alternate to the dogs. Let me know so I know what to bring tmw (soup is still a go), thanks,

Hang well!

SilvrSurfr
10-23-2015, 16:17
I'm gonna have to come tomorrow morning too. I just haven't been able to get away what with the house and stuff.

Ratdog
10-23-2015, 17:58
I'm gonna have to come tomorrow morning too. I just haven't been able to get away what with the house and stuff.

Whaaaaat?!?!
C'mon....I'm not leaving for a couple more hours, still gonna head up tonight though.
Finally got the wood loaded in the truck.

Ratdog
10-23-2015, 21:02
I will be arriving in time for midnight snack

mrcheviot
10-24-2015, 08:58
Can someone call me ASAP re: food? nine one seven four two
zero zero nine one one.

Otherwise just stopping for soup stuff, bringing dogs but not sure what your contingency plans were for dinner last night/breakfast this morning.

BrockLeigh
10-29-2015, 15:08
Sure had fun hanging with ya'll. No incidences, who would have thought... Temp are dropping, when is this winter hang!?

perrito
10-29-2015, 15:16
Sure had fun hanging with ya'll. No incidences, who would have thought... Temp are dropping, when is this winter hang!?

It was fun hanging out with you guys. Sure wasn't boring!

9th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang>January 29th-31st, 2016 (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/116738-NJ-gt-Batona-Camp-gt-9th-Annual-New-Jersey-Winter-Hang-gt-January-29th-31st-2016)