PDA

View Full Version : Grippy Foam Pads. Too Grippy??

Tacky Hiker
10-23-2009, 13:30
I just got a Speer SleepPad and it is super grippy.

Should I take small blanket/Neat Sheet to place between my sleeping bag and the pad? Is it too grippy to move into certain positions while in your sleeping bag?

Thanks

pedro
10-23-2009, 14:38
With all due respect to Ed Speer and his products, I have also found that pad to be too grippy. I can't move it around at all once I'm in the hammock. I would try some sort of fabric cover if I were set on using it. As it is, I've gone back to the Walmart blue pad.(And an Exped Downmat 7):thumbup:

Miguel
10-23-2009, 16:01
With all due respect to Ed Speer and his products, I have also found that pad to be too grippy. I can't move it around at all once I'm in the hammock. I would try some sort of fabric cover if I were set on using it. As it is, I've gone back to the Walmart blue pad.(And an Exped Downmat 7):thumbup:

Isn't that the point of it being grippy? Once you set it in place you wouldn't want it to move....or am I missing something. Usually people are concerned that pads move too much once they are in their hammocks.

Miguel

pedro
10-23-2009, 16:32
Isn't that the point of it being grippy? Once you set it in place you wouldn't want it to move....or am I missing something. Usually people are concerned that pads move too much once they are in their hammocks.

Miguel

No, no, you're not missing anything. It's just a matter of personal preference. I have never had a problem with foam pads moving under me. I think that when people talk about that problem, they're referring more to the self inflating pads. I could see that point. They are right slippery. I had read lots of people's positive opinions of the speer/oware type foam, how they're more comfy than the blue ccf pads, but honestly, I like the blue pads better. They slide around when you want them to, they stay put once you're done placing them. The Speer foam grips and catches and snags when I'm trying to lay it out. The blue ccf also works better for me as the frame of my Gearskin pack. After taking a look at the thread on the foam sleeping bag, though, I may try a few experiments with the speer foam in a more garment-like application. It is awfully soft and flexible!

Again, it's a matter of personal preference. Hey, I've even heard that there are some weirdos out there who don't like using pads ATALL! :confused::rolleyes:

Pitch
10-23-2009, 17:34
I have never seen this pad in person but have had issues with pads in general sliding around under me...

This may be a stretch, but is the problem you are experiencing not being able to reposition the PAD once you are on top of it or not being able to reposition YOURSELF w/ respect to the pad?

If it is the latter, perhaps attaching something more slick to the top of the pad - or is this what you are considering?

Whatever you do, test it out in a "non-permanent" way first. I've had tons of 'brilliant
ideas over the years only to wish I could undo them after I cut/glue/burn/drill etc. but you can only do those things - not undo them :)