PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the frazzle

tight-wad
05-20-2007, 23:16
Soldering iron.

Saw this on a web site somewhere, but haven’t seen it here. Use a Radio Shack electrician’s soldering iron, for sealing the fray on rip stop nylon, polypro rope, polyester rope, and other nylons. Better than matches and blow torches.

Use the sides, not the point of the iron. And, don’t buy the cheapest. That’s why I thought to make this post. My last iron died.

scottcatchot
05-21-2007, 13:49
Good idea, I guess you have to move the iron rather quickly to keep from melting the fabric through huh?

txulrich
05-21-2007, 13:53
I use one of the butane lighters my wife bought to start the grill.

tight-wad
05-21-2007, 16:12
Good idea, I guess you have to move the iron rather quickly to keep from melting the fabric through huh?

It requires a delicate touch.

For the ripstop, the problem is all the loose threads kinda clog up the surface. You don't have to move fast, just be careful to keep the hot surface on the very edges. If you move too fast, you can make a mistake, and the iron will definitely create a gouge in an otherwise straight line.

For ropes, nothing to it. Just touch as necessary and use the iron like a paintbrush to shape the ends to your liking. You can even cut rope this way, "cauterizing the wound" as you go.

I've found that burning creates a hard bubble on the end. Not bad, but not smooth.

scottcatchot
05-21-2007, 16:20
I have been having that bubble issue with my 550 cord when I burn it. It works, just not as pretty as I would like.