PDA

View Full Version : New AHE/KAQ TQ arrived today!!!!!!

bigbamaguy
10-27-2009, 21:51
First off, let me say that I would like to thank Paul and the AHE crew getting this item out to me in such a short period of time. They have gone the extra mile to make sure that I received the TQ before I am to leave this weekend for the Sipsey Hang here in Alabama. I knew that with the start-up of the business that there might be a possibility of it not making it on such short notice. Well all I can say is Kudos to your customer service and attention to the customers needs. I can see this company going into a very bright and prosperous future.

Now to the intitial thoughts of the AHE KAQ TQ!!!!!

As an owner of one of the last KAQ New River UQ made by Mrprez, former owner of Kick *** Quilts, I am using it as a comparison piece. After pulling the new TQ out of the box, no knives were used to open the box, do you know how hard that is to do!? I was absolutely taken back by the contrast of the light grey material on the black material that the quilt is made out of. I pulled the old KAQ off the hangers and laid it out to see if the two were the same size. The AHE/KAQ TQ is made to the same dimensions and specs as my KAQ New River UQ to every detail, it even came with a suspension system to hang it if I wanted to as a UQ:cool:. After a close look at the two of them I can see that the new KAQ TQ is absolutely of the same quality in material and construction as the one that I got from the previous owner of KAQ. If you are looking for a multi-use item that can go either way, UQ or TQ then this is the item for you!:D:laugh: Yes Paul, that was a shameless and free sales pitch!!!!!!!!;)

It is a long way to the weekend until I will get to try this item out and until then I will have to hold off on the warmth report. Until then, AHE keep up the good work and good luck in the future!

pgibson
10-27-2009, 22:01
:D Thanks Bigbamaguy! I am so glad that it got to you in time. We are working hard to get all orders filled and out as quick as we possible can. I know it's hard to not use a knife to open the box but it's really just for me to sit here and laugh at you trying to paw and scratch your way into that flat rate priority box. :LOL: Just kidding, would not want you to hurt that purdy new quilt. :D

Enjoy the hang.

Paul

Hooch
10-27-2009, 22:02
Sounds like a ringing endorsement if ever there was one. Goon on ya, Paul. :thumbup1:

Mrprez
10-28-2009, 06:50
Good job Paul, I knew you were the right choice for the new owner of KAQ!!!

angrysparrow
10-28-2009, 07:43
A review with no specs (length, width, weight, packed size, etc.)?

We want pics!

pgibson
10-28-2009, 08:53
AS, You will get to see it in person in what 48 hours or less :) I dub the "gear junkie". :d

angrysparrow
10-28-2009, 08:55
I dub the "gear junkie". :d

Guilty as charged. :blush::cool:

pgibson
10-28-2009, 09:06
O and for those that do need to know. This quilt, which is one of the first by the way, is 1 pound 12 oz in the sil stuff sack, is 48x84ish (long version) grey on black 1.1 oz ripstop with 5 oz xp climashield sewn and quilted in place. We did through on an adjustable shock cord suspension in case it might ever be used as an under quilt but the plan was to use it as a top quilt so all of the suspenion is removable easily.

Paul

animalcontrol
10-28-2009, 09:13
O and for those that do need to know. This quilt, which is one of the first by the way, is 1 pound 12 oz in the sil stuff sack, is 48x84ish (long version) grey on black 1.1 oz ripstop with 5 oz xp climashield sewn and quilted in place. We did through on an adjustable shock cord suspension in case it might ever be used as an under quilt but the plan was to use it as a top quilt so all of the suspenion is removable easily.

Paul
I made a quilt of 5oz Climashield XP...very warm stuff. Used it down to almost 20*F (pushing it a wee bit) :shades:

bigbamaguy
10-28-2009, 09:13
AS:
I was not able to weigh the New KAQ TQ but from one hand to the other comparing the two side by side in there respective stuff sacks, I can tell no difference. I have not made the leap to purchase a scale, I figure if its good enough for me to avoid the things, its ok for my gear to as well.........for now!!!!!! The loft, length and width are identical to the dimensions of the KAQ New River UQ that Mrprez was making before he sold the company. About the only difference that I was able to find, and it is very small, is that Mrprez would sew his stuff sack bottoms in an "H" pattern where as the AHE/KAQ TQ's stuff sack is sewn with a double rolled hemmed seam for the bottom.

I see Paul has given the weight and other technical specs about the 1st one......wait a minute, I have the original AHE KAQ TQ, sweet!!!!!

oldgringo
10-29-2009, 04:29
I have a KAQ New River UQ...how does the TQ differ? Is the footbox sewn in, velcroed (that's a verb! My story, and I'm sticking to it!), or what?

Pics!

bigbamaguy
10-29-2009, 09:38
OG:
The KAQ TQ is exactly that. It is a New River style quilt. No sewn or velrcroed, love the word:laugh:, footbox at all. It is just a rectangular quilt. That is the beauty of the concept. Lets say I am laying in the hammock and the evening starts off hot, which never happens in the South, but then it cools off greatly with wind and the usual 85+% humidity we get down here. I can cinch down one of the cords at the ends of the quilt. Place a small loop of shock-cord through the attachment loops at this end of the quilt and then a longer loop of s-cord through the middle gros-grain loops of the quilt, then insert legs through the loops, This will allow the quilt to move with you while you sleep and keep it from untucking itself as well. It has all of the possibilities of the NR UQ, all of the attachment points and cinch channels are there and it could be hung just like an NR UQ. This has allowed me to have two multi-role quilts at the price of one of the other quilts. I have already been to the upper 30's with my KAQ NR UQ, fleece blanket, BDU pants, cotton T and socks. If this doesn't work as I have envisioned it, my daughter will have one nice UQ for her hammock!!!!!!:lol::shades:

I should be able to weather almost any condition that we get here in the south:confused::D.