PDA

View Full Version : Any Northern ILL/Southern WI Hangers our there?

wiscscoutmaster
10-29-2009, 22:49
I am a Scoutmaster to a troopfull of hangers.

We have been hanging around for about two years.

Should we organized some type of event for this area?

My Troop is just north of Milwaukee.

Anyone interested?

Winter Event or Spring Event?

fin
10-30-2009, 06:56
There are a few of us around - you can search the user list using this link. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/memberlist.php?do=search) Because some people don't actually put the state in their location, you can check the google map as well. I know there was another WI scout master posting earlier this year as well - I remember him talking about hanging in the rain in July or August with his troop.

It is definitely something worth talking about. That is how our Northern Hang got started. I won't have much of a chance to do anything more this fall, and I am not sure where I will be in the spring, but I would like to hear more of what type of trip/event you might be thinking of, and where you might be thinking of going.

kayaknut01
10-30-2009, 07:01
i also would be very interested in this, always looking for an excuse to "hang out" keep us posted on dates and locations please, 90% of the time you can count me in!!!!!! would even be willing to help with whatever you may need help with i'm west of you about an hr, janesville area

BER
10-30-2009, 09:32
Living up here outside of the Fox Cities. I believe we also have a member in GB.
Count me in.

lenle01
10-30-2009, 10:55
As long as I don't have to work you can count me in. Sounds like a good time!

wiscscoutmaster
10-30-2009, 20:38
Good to find we have some interest...since I'm still a bit of a newbie here, what would a typical hangout look like? We have potential to hike and use some of the group sites in
both the Northern and Southern Kettle Moraine as one idea.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

beep
10-30-2009, 21:18
Heck, if you'll allow a foreigner from Minnesota, I might come join you!:)

GrizzlyAdams
10-30-2009, 21:26
Good to find we have some interest...since I'm still a bit of a newbie here, what would a typical hangout look like? We have potential to hike and use some of the group sites in
both the Northern and Southern Kettle Moraine as one idea.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Milwaukee is about 4 hours for me, so doable. We stopped off at the Kohler-Andrae State park this summer, passing through, and that looked like a promising place for hammock camping also.

Hangs are what folks make of them. The MAHHA style is a place where people gather for the weekend, lots of showing off of gear, meeting people. There are some off-site activities folks wander off on, and some folks spend a couple of days hiking in to the camp, but for the most part the event is centered at or near the camp site.

Others make a hike a central part of the activity, witness Northern Hang #1 and #2. This summer Mr. and Mrs Fin, a whole mess of Family Stormcrow, me and a couple of sons, and Doctari & friend had a weekend where we hiked and hung along a backpacking trail in Ohio's Shawnee State Forest.

For my part I like this latter style best. I also like cold weather camping...what can I say? I grew up in Northern Minnesota.

So....I'll come if I can. Maybe bring a couple of boy scouts from our troop along...

cheers

wiscscoutmaster
10-30-2009, 23:14
How does the Wisconsin Dells area sound in spring? We have camped at the group site at Mirror lake and it is VERY hammock friendly...lots of trees.

We tend to make a trip up there and then spend a day at one of the waterparks, come home (campsite) and have a nice dutch oven meal.

There are other sites in the area that people could do if their interests serve them.

Its also somewhat central to the state.

BER
10-31-2009, 00:23
Devil's lake or the surrounding area might be nice as well, though we'd have to check the state park rules in re: hanging.

lenle01
10-31-2009, 00:42
So far I haven't had any problems hanging is the state parks. In fact 2 rangers asked if they could check out my setup! Devils lake, buckhorn or mirror sound good to me. All three of these parks are within a half hour of the dells if I'm not mistaken. The trick would be finding out which campsites or group campsites have trees to hang in. I'm about 1.5 hrs or so from the three parks and would be willing to drive down and check out campsites. Like BER says we should call and make sure hanging is o.k. @ those sites.

Oms
10-31-2009, 05:17
My son (13) and I are both set up to hang. Might be fun for him to meet other kids who camp as well. We are not in the Scouts and his friends don't camp unless we take one along. Just did a quick weekend trip at North Kettle Moraine on the Ice Age trail. There were a lot more places to hang then South KM Ice trail shelter areas, especially with a large group. Shelter 5 was all tall hardwood open area forest. A hangers dream.

wiscscoutmaster
10-31-2009, 08:27
So far I haven't had any problems hanging is the state parks. In fact 2 rangers asked if they could check out my setup! Devils lake, buckhorn or mirror sound good to me. All three of these parks are within a half hour of the dells if I'm not mistaken. The trick would be finding out which campsites or group campsites have trees to hang in. I'm about 1.5 hrs or so from the three parks and would be willing to drive down and check out campsites. Like BER says we should call and make sure hanging is o.k. @ those sites.

We camped in Mirror Lakes Group sites last April (we were the only campers in the park) and it has a large population of trees in that area. I know the Devil's Lake Group site also has a large wooded area suitable for hanging. I have never been to Buckhorn yet.

How big do you thing the group could get? 30-40 people?

kayaknut01
10-31-2009, 11:41
just got back from mirror lake last weekend, very nice, go there often and am on a first name basis with the park manager rebecca green, she loves how we hang and the LNT that we try to pratice, scouted out the devils lake area once looked ok but mirror lake seems more peaceful, i'll bring the yaks if anyone is interested, also there is rock cut state park in northern il, very nice and hammock friendly, no alcohol allowed, huge group sites for scouts may want to look into that one, also there is yellowstone lake, no mosquitos, due to the thousands of bats they have there, but you never see them

kayaknut01
10-31-2009, 11:44
like to see ohms bring his lil ones so mine could see how they hang as mine love to hang in thier eno dnest

JerryW
10-31-2009, 23:46
The southern half of Wisconsin is around 4 hours from me. If the timing worked out, I'd sure make the trip. I was born and raised in the Milwaukee area(Menomonee Falls to be exact).

Jerry

Agfadoc
11-02-2009, 22:44
You can count me in, I unfortunately missed the Northern Hang, my grandson might want to go, he's 8 and loves camping, I'm going to have to do some trial runs in the backyard to see how he'll do in a hammock though, I'm sure he'll be fine. I have another Hennessy Deluxe and it would be like a huge tent. I should make that happen regardless.. he's my camping bud in the summer.. get him going into backpacking.

Hmm.. load him down with 25% of his weight... yeah, I think I can get him setup.

I definitely want to get some snowshoeing in this winter too..

kayaknut01
11-03-2009, 09:12
we should try to get a snowshoe/hang going for this winter, maybe even a x country ski, mirror lake is putting on a candlelight lit ski/hike in jan and feb, i think its the first saturday of each month, will confirm this called mirror lake and yes its the first sat of jan and feb are candlelit ski weekends, anybody up for the hanging / skiing/snowshoeing weekend!!!!!!

wiscscoutmaster
11-04-2009, 19:48
i've got a set of shoes and would love something like that...

kayaknut01
11-05-2009, 08:14
should we get this one off the ground and start getting a head count on who is interested for sure? maybe reserve the group site at mirror lake if needed, thinking the first weekend in jan so we can get in on the candlelight ski/hike.

Agfadoc
11-05-2009, 10:42
I'd be in for it depending on which one Here is the link to the candlelight ski/hike:

DNR Ski/Hile Candlelight (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/caer/ce/news/candlelight.htm)

Saturday, January 2, 2010

* Mirror Lake State Park, Lake Delton, (608) 254-2333 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski, Hike and Snowshoe. There will be two 1-mile loop trails lit for the evening. Both trails are open to skiers and one of the trails will also be open to hiking and snowshoeing. Sponsored by the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park [exit DNR]. The Friends will have brats, hotdogs, goodies, hot chocolate and more available for sale. There will be two roaring bonfires to keep you toasty warm. The event is free but a Wisconsin State Park sticker is required on all vehicles. Meet at the beach/picnic area. 6-8 p.m.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

* Kohler-Andrae State Park, Sheboygan, (920) 451-4080 - Winter Candlelight Hike and Ski. Enjoy the winter wonderland at night with family and friends while skiing or hiking the two-mile cross country trail. Almost 200 tiki torches will light the way for this annual event. Warm up afterwards by the fireplace. Refreshments will be available in the heated shelter building. Please, no pets or sleds allowed on the trail. Cross country Ski Trail. 6-9 p.m.
* Lapham Peak Unit Kettle Moraine State Forest, Delafield, (262) 646-3025 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski/hike. Enjoy a hike, a heated shelter, bonfire and refreshments. 6-9 p.m.
* Wildcat Mountain State Park , Ontario, (608) 337-4775 or e-mail - Torchlight Ski. Cross Country skiing and night sky viewing from dusk to 9pm. Come enjoy a winter evening skiing (or hiking) a gentle 1.5 miles trail through the woods and field as 100 torches light the way. Night sky viewing through telescopes with Professor Bob Hirschy and Bob Heasley beginning at 7 p.m. A program will be held indoors if conditions are not favorable for stargazing. Bonfire and grill available for cook-outs near the park office. Along the trail, stop and soak in the warmth of another bonfire at the midway point. Hot chocolate and snacks will be available in the warming area. Trailhead at the park office. Dusk - 9 p.m.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

* Kettle Moraine State Forest--Southern Unit, Palmyra, (262) 594-6200 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski and Hike. Ski or hike the 1.4-mile purple loop through the woods that will be illuminated by 450 candles! No hills and no spills! The Nordic Trail is on County Highway H about 3 miles south of Palmyra and 1.5 miles north of La Grange. Ski rentals are available in La Grange and the store will donate $2 per ski rental for next year's event. Hot beverages and food will be available for sale in a heated shelter. A bonfire and charcoal will also be available, so bring your marshmallows and food you would like to cook. Dogs are allowed on the ski trail for this event only. A Wisconsin State Park sticker is required on all vehicles. Nordic Shelter. 6-9 p.m.

Friday, January 29, 2010

* Chippewa Moraine Ice Age State Recreation Area, New Auburn, (715) 967-2800 or e-mail - Snowshoeing by Moonlight. Join naturalists Rod Gont and Frank Lowly as they lead one or two-hour snowshoe hikes by moonlight. All ages are invited. More than 40 pairs of snowshoes are available for those without them. Please call ahead to reserve snowshoes. There's no charge, but donations are accepted. Warming fires will be going and hot chocolate and hot water are available. Meet at the Chippewa Moraine Ice Age Reserve Unit Visitor Center. 6:30 p.m.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

* Hartman Creek State Park, Waupaca, (715) 258-2372 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski and Hike. As dusk descends hundreds of candles will illuminate two separate trails for hikers and skiers. A warm and welcoming bonfire will greet skiers and hikers back at the shelter. Willow sticks will be provided for toasting snacks and charcoal grills will be available for the more serious cook. A concession stand, with free refreshments including bars, cookies, cider and hot chocolate, will be graciously provided by the Friends of Hartman Creek. Soda pop will be for sale. There is no fee for this event, but an admission sticker is required on vehicles. 5-8 p.m. Alternate date: Saturday, February 6.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

* High Cliff State Park, Sherwood, (920) 989-1106 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski/Hike. The Forest Management trail is torch-lit for skiers and hikers. Stop by the bonfire to warm up along the trail and visit the Friends of High Cliff concessions booth for some hot beverages and snacks. Forest Management Trail. 5-8 p.m.
* Mirror Lake State Park, Lake Delton, (608) 254-2333 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski, Hike and Snowshoe. There will be two 1-mile loop trails lit for the evening. Both trails are open to skiers and one of the trails will also be open to hiking and snowshoeing. Sponsored by the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park [exit DNR]. The Friends will have brats, hotdogs, goodies, hot chocolate and more available for sale. There will be two roaring bonfires to keep you toasty warm. The event is free but a Wisconsin State Park sticker is required on all vehicles. Meet at the beach/picnic area. 6-8 p.m.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

* Kohler-Andrae State Park, Sheboygan, 920-451-4080 - Valentine Candlelight Ski and Hike. Celebrate Valentines Day a bit early while enjoying the winter wonderland at night with family and friends. Ski or hike the 2-mile cross country trail lit by almost 200 tiki torches. Warm up afterwards by the fireplace. Refreshments will be available in the heated shelter building. Please, no pets or sleds allowed. Cross-country ski trail. 6-9 p.m.
* Lapham Peak Unit Kettle Moraine State Forest, Delafield, (262) 646-3025 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski/hike. Enjoy a hike, a heated shelter, bonfire, refreshments, and live music. 6-9 p.m.
* Peshtigo River State Forest, Crivitz, (715) 757-3965 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski and Hike. Ski or hike along the Peshtigo River by candlelight. A two-mile trail will be lit for both classical and skating styles. Non-skiers can try an easy one-mile hiking trail. Warming fires and hot chocolate will be available. Spring Rapids Trailhead. Follow County Road W 5 miles west of Crivitz to Kirby Lake Lane. 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

* Governor Thompson State Park, Crivitz, (715) 757-3979 or e-mail - Candlelight Ski and Hike. Enjoy the luminaries along a 1-mile trail groomed for both diagonal striding and skate skiing as it weaves through the woods. Non-skiers are welcome to hike on another candlelit 1-mile trail with scenic views of Woods Lake. Hikers and pets are not allowed on the ski trail, but are welcome on the hiking trail. Warming fires and hot chocolate available at the shelter building. Vehicle admission (park sticker) is required and can be purchased at the park office. Woods Lake Picnic Area Shelter. 6 - 9 p.m.

kayaknut01
11-05-2009, 11:37
wow, lots of chioces, maybe do a poll type of voting majority rules thing, this could be really fun!!!

Oms
11-06-2009, 06:39
Are you thinking of bringing the kids on the winter hang? Not sure I have enough gear for that.

Agfadoc
11-06-2009, 08:21
I wouldn't be able to bring the kids for the winter hang. I lack the gear and they lack the experience at this time.

kayaknut01
11-06-2009, 08:29
i hear all ya, not enough gear or experience for my kids. 10 min and it will be dad i'm cold, i wanna go home!!. glad to see ohms chime it.

RePete
11-09-2009, 20:07
Im new here but am very interested in attending a hang. Im in Northern Indiana. I would be interested in a spring hang if it is in SW WI. Anything as far as the Dells is way to far for me. If anyone knows of any other hangs I should check out please let me know. I am searching but I welcome anyone with info that saves me time in my searching.

wiscscoutmaster
11-10-2009, 13:12
So does it look like we should be looking at two dates? One winter camp for those who have the equipment, followed by a spring hang?

I have a troop committee meeting on Wednesday to get the final approval for our participation as a troop. We would reserve our own campsite and follow our needed BSA rules.

If I don't get the interest for the whole troop to come, them I will take my two sons and come up that way.

So, by Friday I should be able to set a date and we can start prepping for for the outing.

So....please chime in on who would want to participate in a winter activity at one of the State parks mentioned earlier and who would participate in a spring (April/May) event at the above also.

Thanks....looking forward to this!

beep
11-10-2009, 13:17
I'd probably be up for either or both...winter and/or spring.

kayaknut01
11-10-2009, 16:26
i'm in for both as well, a god winter hang would be great for gear testing and pushing the limits of the gear, do I see a winter tarp in the near future..... why yes I do!!!!! I'll wait til friday to see what scoutmaster has to say, btw, the tarp beep got recently really has my interest, how do you like it beep??

beep
11-10-2009, 16:42
i'm in for both as well, a god winter hang would be great for gear testing and pushing the limits of the gear, do I see a winter tarp in the near future..... why yes I do!!!!! I'll wait til friday to see what scoutmaster has to say, btw, the tarp beep got recently really has my interest, how do you like it beep??

Ah...I'm sad to say I haven't tried it yet! Too many "other" things on my schedule, but I'm planning to at least pitch it in my backyard this coming weekend. I've cut/trimmed and attached all the pullouts (2 ridgeline, 4 primary edge/side, 4 supplemental (middle) side, 4 doors...whew!) so it's ready to be hung. I'll report more and include some photos once I've had it up.

kayaknut01
11-10-2009, 18:10
Ah...I'm sad to say I haven't tried it yet! Too many "other" things on my schedule, but I'm planning to at least pitch it in my backyard this coming weekend. I've cut/trimmed and attached all the pullouts (2 ridgeline, 4 primary edge/side, 4 supplemental (middle) side, 4 doors...whew!) so it's ready to be hung. I'll report more and include some photos once I've had it up.

they were not done for you?? were talking the tarp from scott right??

beep
11-10-2009, 19:15
they were not done for you?? were talking the tarp from scott right??

I didn't mean to mislead you...the tieouts (all lovely D-rings) were done quite well by Scott. I spent some time measuring and cutting all the Speer No-Tangle tie out lines to attach to the D-rings (I leave mine larks-headed onto the D-rings).

Agfadoc
11-10-2009, 20:28
I'd be up for either or both as well.

kayaknut01
11-10-2009, 21:48
I didn't mean to mislead you...the tieouts (all lovely D-rings) were done quite well by Scott. I spent some time measuring and cutting all the Speer No-Tangle tie out lines to attach to the D-rings (I leave mine larks-headed onto the D-rings).

ooohhh i c, makes sense now, i believe scott will be making me one excactly like yours, really looking forward to your review/comments

sir_n0thing
11-17-2009, 20:25
Barring unforeseen life stuff, I'd be up for both a winter and a spring hang. :)

As a side note, I have a good friend who is a tent dweller and would probably love to tag along if I brought it up. Is anyone interested in keeping this hammock-only, or should I mention this to him?

kayaknut01
11-17-2009, 20:32
i personally don't believe in "hammock only" its like the saying "hike your own hike" there is no wrong in tenting, its what makes you happy is what counts, bring the tenter along we will convert!!!!!!!!!!

Snipen
11-18-2009, 00:17
I'd be up for a spring hang. Not set up for any of the winter stuff.

lenle01
11-18-2009, 00:38
Almost geared for winter. I'll have to see what Santa brings me. Otherwise a spring hang would be great.

Trout
11-18-2009, 01:47
I'd be interested in an early spring or late winter hang. I might be ready by then and the cold would be less of a factor, but only some of the factor to try out gear! I confused myself! I live in Northern, Indiana. The closer to 80 or to major roads would make it easier for the drive.