PDA

View Full Version : >Canada>Ont>EGL Gearing Up For Winter 2015-2016

Chard
10-09-2015, 13:04
Winter is Coming

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/smokehouse4.jpg

Just heading into Thanksgiving day weekend here in Canada and I was thinking that this would be a good time to get a Valens hang underway.

When? Well it depends on the weather but let's get some feedback on the following dates. Some extra wonderful recipe ideas would be well received.

Option 1: Nov 20 - 22
Option 2: Nov 27 - 29
Option 3: Jan 8 - 10

EGL Deep Freeze Hang
Believe it or not, we're just around our 20th EGL hang and I wanted to put out a proposal about doing an extra long EGL Deep Freeze Hang this season. There's a chance that some chaps out of the UK will be joining us to do some winter camping in the Great White North and frankly I can think of no better hosts than our own EGL crew to show them around. They're planning on being out for roughly nine or so days, so I was thinking that if some of us couldn't swing the whole extended week, then two back to back weekends, or even just one, would be feasible. We could base camp the first weekend in one location and then camp the following weekend in another, giving them the midweek to make their way overland between the two. Also, such a long trip might also justify a change in venue; some new scenic Crown Land or even Killarney. Options, options, options... I'll start a separate thread for the winter hang in a bit.

Winter is Coming!

Cedar328
10-09-2015, 13:40
Hey Chard et al,

Saw the post come up and just wanted to chime in with an update. To make a very long story short, I had some health issues this summer that are not completely over but did include an extensive surgery a couple weeks ago. I am super keen to get back out and do some hanging in the cold. I don't know when I am going to be able to get back out physically, even to Valens with no hiking. But I will follow the thread and hope to attend, may even drive down just to say hi if I am unable to set up at that point. Having said all that, the later the date is the higher chance I will be able to attend. I hope the gang is all well, and everyone is having a great fall.

Cheers

Cedar

Chard
10-09-2015, 13:45
Hey Chard et al,

Saw the post come up and just wanted to chime in with an update. To make a very long story short, I had some health issues this summer that are not completely over but did include an extensive surgery a couple weeks ago. I am super keen to get back out and do some hanging in the cold. I don't know when I am going to be able to get back out physically, even to Valens with no hiking. But I will follow the thread and hope to attend, may even drive down just to say hi if I am unable to set up at that point. Having said all that, the later the date is the higher chance I will be able to attend. I hope the gang is all well, and everyone is having a great fall.

Cedar

Well heck, we should just do the hang in your backyard! Do you have enough trees!!! :lol:

Seriously though. Glad to hear that you're on the mend and I'll look forward to seeing you when you're up to it and not a second before.

Bubba
10-09-2015, 17:44
I think Valens is closed in December.

Chard
10-09-2015, 17:57
I think Valens is closed in December.

Errr. I don't know what you're talking about. There's no way I just edited the dates.

LuvmyBonnet
10-09-2015, 18:52
I'll be keep my eye on this one. I wouldn't mind a 3 or 4 day outing. :cool:
I've been fine tuning my dutch oven pot roast!
Nov 27-29 is out for me.

76 highboy
10-09-2015, 20:53
How ironic. I went out the other day and purchased a 16" x 10' piece of hdpe to make my own toboggan. Cant haul my kinico and smokehouse in my little paris sled.
(minor case of winter fever I guess)
I'm in for an extended winter hang. 6 days most likely.
With Brits to boot! Leave the wellies at home lads,you wont be needing them here.

Bubba
10-09-2015, 23:13
With regards to the deep freeze, I'd likely only be able to do one weekend. Hopefully the trip can planned to allow for people to come and go easily. Probably best to come for two nights at the start vs trying to join at the end.

Errr. I don't know what you're talking about. There's no way I just edited the dates.

Must have been my imagination. I think January would be the best bet for colder temps. A Valen's hang is easier for me to get to because I can do just one night if needs be so all dates at this point are ok. If I had to choose now I would pick January.

LuvmyBonnet
10-10-2015, 10:21
How ironic. I went out the other day and purchased a 16" x 10' piece of hdpe to make my own toboggan.
I built one last year and I'm still waiting to use it.117371117372

Thunderbelly
10-10-2015, 10:35
All dates are the same to me. If I don't have the equipment to stay over night, I will definitely stop by for a meet and greet. I will relay the dates to the group I hang with as well.

keg
10-10-2015, 13:57
I'd guess that January might be more winter-like. With Thanksgiving highs of 20C, it sure isn't looking like winter yet.

dante1811
10-11-2015, 23:13
Apologies if this is off-topic but does anyone have more info about the wall tent in this post header? I'm dying to investigate such an animal...

Chard
10-12-2015, 12:42
Apologies if this is off-topic but does anyone have more info about the wall tent in this post header? I'm dying to investigate such an animal...

No problem. The tent's a SmokeHouse and there's a chap here on the forums under the same name who builds them. They're really an amazing piece of kit when coupled with a portable wood-burning stove.

Mark1065
10-12-2015, 16:23
I'm game but have to agree January may be the better choice

Mark

Chard
10-12-2015, 19:18
I'm down with an early January Hang. I was just a little worried that some of us might be crowding the dance card with the Deep Freeze Hang planned for the end of January/Early Feb.

Do we want to try and pin down Jan 8-10 for Valens?

Lofty
10-13-2015, 06:40
I'd be up for the weekend on Jan 8-10

I should be good for Friday-->Saturday , possibly Sunday - gotta see what work gives me

keg
10-13-2015, 18:50
That should work for me. Fri-Sun.

entropy
10-14-2015, 10:41
I'll going to try to make it out this year. Dates should work for me.

Indigo
10-15-2015, 15:47
I'd love to meet up with folks one of the days of your winter hang, but can't swing an overnight at this point. I'd be able to come out any of the days of Option 2 or 3, but my availability shouldn't hold much weight since I'm new and not doing the overnight portion, lol!

80083r
10-19-2015, 17:02
I'm actually home from December 17 to January 18, and available weekends after that... So count me in!

Niagara
10-26-2015, 19:39
As a new guy, I would like to consider making a visit for part of the day to say hello. Ill keep an eye for dates.
Niagara

Chard
10-26-2015, 21:16
Well, here'e to hanging in the New year.. Jan 8-10 it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar old mugs and some new faces as well.

Everyone's welcome!

Mark1065
10-28-2015, 13:22
If El-Nino has it's way we will be leaving our UQ's at home and be bringing rubber boots and sunscreen instead. LOL

Mark

Chard
10-28-2015, 14:07
If El-Nino has it's way we will be leaving our UQ's at home and be bringing rubber boots and sunscreen instead. LOL

Mark

Well then, the only ICE in ice-fishing will be in my scotch. Could be worse; could be 'skeeter season.

Jayson
11-12-2015, 01:15
Hello all. Looks good for me and Tracey to be there. Finally a hang falls on her weekend off! Let me know what we should bring for a group meal...Rabbit anyone?

Chard
11-12-2015, 14:17
Hello all. Looks good for me and Tracey to be there. Finally a hang falls on her weekend off! Let me know what we should bring for a group meal...Rabbit anyone?

Well, I look forward to seeing you guys. We were joking about roasting a pig on a spit, but rabbit's nice as well. To be honest, I don't think I've ever had any of those furry, cuddly, delicious looking little critters.

ConnieB
11-12-2015, 14:34
Well, I look forward to seeing you guys. We were joking about roasting a pig on a spit, but rabbit's nice as well. To be honest, I don't think I've ever had any of those furry, cuddly, delicious looking little critters.

Marty and I can bring desserts...apple pie or pecan pie but can't bring them until Saturday.

Chard
11-12-2015, 14:40
Marty and I can bring desserts...apple pie or pecan pie but can't bring them until Saturday.

Mmmmm. Pie!

LuvmyBonnet
11-12-2015, 15:47
I'll know more when we get closer but if I'm feeling good I'll probably look to do Thur-Sunday.

Jayson
11-12-2015, 20:13
Well Chard in that case i will be sure to bring a couple to roast!

keg
11-14-2015, 18:55
Wow. Untried edibles, pies, and scotch.

The hang sounds better and better.

Jayson
11-18-2015, 00:26
I was wondering if I could get a ballpark headcount. Need a rough guess so I know how many bunnies to process.

Chard
11-18-2015, 15:56
Without wanting to speak for anybody, here's a summary of posts. Looks like a great turnout so far and we haven't even gotten started!

Valens Jan 8-10, 2016

Chard
Bubba
LuvmyBonnet
76 Highboy
Thunderbelly
Keg
Mark1065
Lofty
Entropy
80083r
Jayson & Tracey
ConnieB & Marty
Psychic Iguana

Indigo (daytrip)
Niagara (daytrip)

Cedar (maybe)

Not sure about the cuddly bunny count though.

Iguana
11-18-2015, 20:42
I'll be there. I swear I responded yes. 😲
Must have just said it to myself thinking I said it out loud. My wife says I do it all the time.

Lofty
11-20-2015, 18:56
I should be good for Friday
I'm working Saturday afternoon but possible come back Saturday.
I'll know for sure about a week before

Jayson
11-21-2015, 21:28
Thanks Chard, looks like i will need to bring 4 or 5.

Chard
11-21-2015, 22:37
For everyone's information, click below to check out the EGL Winter 2016 Planning Thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/118319-gt-Canada-gt-Ont-gt-EGL-Winter-Hang-2016-Double-Weekender-Hammock-Bushcraft-Hang).

https://media1.giphy.com/media/GgbCiS1rMjGFy/200_s.gif (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/118319-gt-Canada-gt-Ont-gt-EGL-Winter-Hang-2016-Double-Weekender-Hammock-Bushcraft-Hang)

Bubba
12-11-2015, 09:14
Geez, what's up with this weather? Even Kylo Ren has to start a fire to get warm. We might not even need a fire let alone any hot tents.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141129005402/starwars/images/4/4b/KyloRen.png

Only 7 more days!!!

Chard
12-16-2015, 15:53
Only 22 days away...

Oh yeah and Star Wars is 2 days away....

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2013/12/stormtrooper-hammock1.jpg

Daydreaming about the Winter Hang on Hoth most likely!!!!!

Thunderbelly
12-19-2015, 09:51
I'm bringing a couple non forum members as well, hope no one minds, they are part of my summer camping group.

Chard
12-19-2015, 14:17
I'm bringing a couple non forum members as well, hope no one minds, they are part of my summer camping group.

No problem at all. The more the merrier.

keg
12-19-2015, 14:28
Dear EGL,

I need your help. The most confusing things have been happening today and hopefully the collective brain power will be able to figure it out.

I was out today and there was this white powder falling from the sky and some of it was staining the ground. Also I looked at my thermometer and there was this strange dash before the numbers. What does this all mean?

Long ago I remember legends of this thing called "winter". Could it be that the stories are true and we've been experiencing cold weather and "snow"? If so, what impact could this have on our hang? I'm worried that I might not need my sun hat and bugspray.

Bubba
12-21-2015, 05:19
Dear EGL,

I need your help. The most confusing things have been happening today and hopefully the collective brain power will be able to figure it out.

I was out today and there was this white powder falling from the sky and some of it was staining the ground. Also I looked at my thermometer and there was this strange dash before the numbers. What does this all mean?

Long ago I remember legends of this thing called "winter". Could it be that the stories are true and we've been experiencing cold weather and "snow"? If so, what impact could this have on our hang? I'm worried that I might not need my sun hat and bugspray.

Well I've seen that white stuff in the Star Wars trailers.

ggreaves
12-21-2015, 14:56
jimmay and I got out this weekend for the first "snow fall" of the season out here...

Chard
12-21-2015, 21:32
Dear EGL,

It's gotten so bad that when I tell my friends I'm getting down, they think I'm about to breakdance!

Well I've seen that white stuff in the Star Wars trailers.

Aww man... Spoiler alert!!!

jimmay and I got out this weekend for the first "snow fall" of the season out here...

Nice little reflector camp you guys had going... And sauteed kobasa? Dude...

Mark1065
12-22-2015, 09:29
What's STAR WARS, :confused::confused:

Is that some kind of astrological thing

Bubba
12-22-2015, 13:22
What's STAR WARS, :confused::confused:

Is that some kind of astrological thing

I don't think I can hang with you anymore.:unsure:

Mark1065
12-22-2015, 15:01
I don't think I can hang with you anymore.:unsure:

HaHaHa, It'll be okay Bubba

A co-worker in my office is always going on and on about it, some days I just want to stab him with my pen LOL

Mark

Bubba
12-22-2015, 15:38
Lol! I actually agree with you. I'm not an uber fan. Just enough of a fan to know what's going on if ever in a fanboy conversation.

LuvmyBonnet
12-22-2015, 15:45
I wouldn't fare to well in a Star Wars fanboy conversations but I can say I was the first one in my neighborhood to see Star Wars back in 77'. That movie was mind blowing for the 70's!

Lofty
12-31-2015, 18:20
Just curious if anyone is interested in heading in Thursday afternoon ??
Or perhaps early Friday ( lunch )

I'm going Friday ( with a possible Thursday ) but am leaving Saturday about 10:00 for work :(

76 highboy
01-01-2016, 12:26
I hope to be heading in thursday afternoon ,friday am at the latest.
Same sites as last year guys?

LuvmyBonnet
01-01-2016, 12:40
I'll be looking to head in early Friday AM.
I'm up for the same site. I thought that was a pretty good location.
The Wi-fi reception was awesome!!! :lol:

Niagara
01-01-2016, 18:38
Is there a cost for entry at the site? Im thinking saturday if current plans hold.
Niagara

Jiblets
01-03-2016, 10:45
Hey all, it looks like I'll be able to make it for a night or two. I'm aiming for Friday midday to afternoon

Chard
01-04-2016, 12:07
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you; was in Montreal for the long weekend.

I called Valens and they're expecting us to start arriving Thursday or Friday. There are no reservations but we're hoping to camp on our customary spots (134/135). They'll also be extending a parking special for us (details tbd) but the first two guys should try to snag those two sites. If there's no attendant, just pay the entry fee at the machine and we'll square up with the park the next day.

Personally I'll be heading in Friday midday/evening depending on the 3 W's (wife/work/weather).

Is anyone planning on bringing a large grill, fire irons, tripod (hint, hint; you know who you are)?

I also saw "The Force Awakens" on the weekend in IMAX 3D and after a couple of PTSD sessions as a consequence of the special effects, I'll be ready to gab like the lone Jedi at a Sith jamboree. For starters, did you know that donuts were invented a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away when a hungry jedi skewered some sweet dough with his lightsabre to cook them? True story!

LuvmyBonnet
01-05-2016, 15:27
What postal code or city do you guys use to check the weather forecast for Valens?

ggreaves
01-05-2016, 15:32
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/outdoors/parks/caon8806

(... but you won't like what you see)

Bubba
01-05-2016, 18:59
I'm coming on Saturday and I'll bring my tripod grill. We finally get snow and cold temps and now it might rain on us? That's sucks.

Iguana
01-05-2016, 21:06
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/outdoors/parks/caon8806

(... but you won't like what you see)
I try not to look until a day or two before. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

LuvmyBonnet
01-06-2016, 02:36
The Psychic Iguana needs no website to tell him the weather!

Chard
01-06-2016, 13:06
Hi gang,

Does anyone from the Toronto area have room for an extra passenger from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning?

ggreaves
01-06-2016, 14:29
I'm going to be coming through from Kingston but we would arrive at Valens pretty late I think. I don't mind.

broadwatet
01-06-2016, 14:42
Hi guys... I've been hanging for 3 years now and live in the Buffalo, NY area. 35 degrees is the coldest I've hung in so far, but I ordered an Arrowhead quilt that should arrive any day now. If it gets here by Friday, I'd like to join everyone at Valens.

Since this is my first gathering, is it best if I just bring food for one? I wouldn't mind trying some of cooking gear in the colder weather, so I'm planning to fly solo when it comes to food, unless there is a 'system' I should be aware of. I'll only be up for one night... Probably Saturday.

Any helpful bits of advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred

Chard
01-06-2016, 14:56
Hi guys... I've been hanging for 3 years now and live in the Buffalo, NY area. 35 degrees is the coldest I've hung in so far, but I ordered an Arrowhead quilt that should arrive any day now. If it gets here by Friday, I'd like to join everyone at Valens.

Since this is my first gathering, is it best if I just bring food for one? I wouldn't mind trying some of cooking gear in the colder weather, so I'm planning to fly solo when it comes to food, unless there is a 'system' I should be aware of. I'll only be up for one night... Probably Saturday.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Broadwatet/Fred, it'd be good to have you come out.

The weather this weekend looks to be fairly mild (around freezing) and damp, so it might just be a bit colder than you've experienced.

Food is pretty casual. Bring enough for yourself, share if you want or not; one fine lady's bringing apple pie. There'll be a fire going most of the time and certainly around dinner. I haven't planned on any group meals.

As far as advice, because we're car camping, feel free to over pack and bring extra gloves and especially bring warm boots. Standing around can get a little cool on the old toes. If you have a big tarp, throw it in the trunk in case we need it.

One advantage of our site is that there's a heated washroom and showers a stone's throw away from our site, so bailing out is an option.

See you out there!

76 highboy
01-06-2016, 19:31
I,LL be arriving tomorrow sometime. Will be bringing a tarp ,some firewood,one or two grills,sharp implements and a beverage for around the fire.

Lofty
01-06-2016, 20:03
I'll be there Friday - around noon

Does anyone know the wifi password at site 134? :D

LuvmyBonnet
01-06-2016, 20:39

Thanks,

Fred

Hey Fred. I'm from Buffalo and I'll be heading up Friday Morning. Your in luck as far as arriving on Saturday because that's the day I do my Dutch Oven Pot Roast! Last one I did in August was Amazing.
Looking forward to my first group hang of 2016. :D

keg
01-06-2016, 21:10
At least Sunday's supposed to be below freezing.

Looking forward to this. Have a package from Santa Dutch to try out.

Broadwater
01-07-2016, 13:12
Thanks for the replies, guys! One thing those replies showed me was that I messed up my User Name here... I wanted it to be Broadwater! Not broadwatet! I'm deleting that account and will be using this one.

LuvmyBonnet
01-07-2016, 21:49
I'll be there Friday - around noon

Does anyone know the wifi password at site 134? :D

That can be had from the Queen of Wi-Fi. It's a frightening price and there isn't enough scotch for me to pay it! :scared:

Thunderbelly
01-08-2016, 11:15
What postal code or city do you guys use to check the weather forecast for Valens?
I just drive within a couple kilometers of it every day. Kinda OCD lol.

Jayson
01-08-2016, 22:42
Hey all. Got my weekends turned around and am spending this weekend with my Granddaughter. Hope you all have a good time!

Broadwater
01-09-2016, 12:54
My UQ didn't get here today unfortunately, so I'll have to hang his one out. I'll be ready for the next one though!

Any updates / pics from the people who are there?

Bubba
01-10-2016, 18:05
Despite the rain and above 0 temps it was a fun get together. Always nice to see friends and make new ones. Hopefully some snow will come our way soon to necessitate actual winter gear.

Chard
01-10-2016, 21:17
Soggy trip report can be found here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/120259-Canada-gt-Ont-gt-EGL-Gearing-Up-For-Winter-2015-2016-quot-Still-Waiting-to-Gear-Up-For-Winter)