PDA

View Full Version : NJ > Batona Camp>9th Annual New Jersey Winter Hang>January 29th-31st, 2016

Pages : [1] 2

Iafte
10-15-2015, 14:31
Going to have to cancel this year.

NAAAAAA.... :jj:

9th Annual NJ Winter Hang
When: Jan 29-31 2016
Where: Batona Camp, NJ Pine Barrens

This is a drive in area, so you can bring extra stuff to stay warm if you want.

MAP, it's the MAP! (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=39.787698%2C-74.654331&spn=0.081651%2C0.169086&dg=feature&msa=0&mid=zpuwwEfUeQXA.kz4gY7cF6J00)

Start reserving the sites now!! Click HERE! (http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/wharton-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056#sr)
2 people/cars per site.

Sign Up Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8YdxlHBsvqgF5CVVAIDCpB-YrTg7aKIqHB7quP_fjM/edit?pli=1#gid=0)

Announcing the Reboot of the Annual Winter Hang Coup de grâce de grub.

That's right, this year we will be bringing back the contest to see who makes that one thing that everyone must have.

It can be served at anytime Friday or Saturday, but must be made for the group. Normally when my group goes hiking it's just the one item that makes everyone wish they thought of it. I'm changing that rule to make sure people can try it. I don't expect you to make enough for everyone at the hang, but it would only hurt your chances of winning if you didn't.

That's right, back to the basics on the rules. Make it at home, buy it at a store, don't care this year. lol.

More to come.

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2015, 16:57
It's that time again! Looking forward to record cold and snow.

georgecarr
10-15-2015, 17:13
Are all the sites good hang sites? Want to reserve now.

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2015, 18:08

Too far in advance again. Somebody will have to call ReserveAmerica because I can't reserve any sites right now.

Far as I know, we're reserving all sites. Site six really blows, but all other sites are reasonably decent.

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2015, 18:47
From what I can tell, 2016 sites can't be reserved (though 12/25/15 can be reserved). I'll call tomorrow and find out the deal.

The Tree Frog
10-15-2015, 18:51
I can imagine another snowy, hopefully not wet snow, weekend.

njredneck
10-15-2015, 20:07
I'm in as long as its not actively snowing.

effensmurfy
10-15-2015, 21:40
Count me in.

silentorpheus
10-15-2015, 21:58
Can't believe I missed last year (that whole birth of my child thing got in the way) but I'll be there with bells on this year. :thumbup:

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2015, 22:07
Count me in.

Should I bring my canoe? You might want to paddle Skit Branch!:lol:

silentorpheus
10-15-2015, 22:08

Too far in advance again. Somebody will have to call ReserveAmerica because I can't reserve any sites right now.

Far as I know, we're reserving all sites. Site six really blows, but all other sites are reasonably decent.

Ever since they put the reserve america system in place, we need to book the entire camp, to ensure that we can have the run of the place. Once they're available to reserve, the procedure is usually to have people start booking sites (no one person can reserve more than one site, so each site needs to be booked by a individual person). It doesn't matter which site you book - once we have them all, we don't bother to pay much attention to who reserved what, and we all just show up and hang wherever you can find a pair of trees that suits your fancy. At some point during the weekend, someone will be in charge of collecting funds, that will be used to reimburse all of the people that paid for sites. Just save the receipt email and bring it along.

Oh, and it's better if in-state folks reserve the sites, when possible, since out of state people pay a higher rate.

effensmurfy
10-15-2015, 22:17
Should I bring my canoe? You might want to paddle Skit Branch![emoji38]
Gonna make sure I have swim trunks this time, lol

SilvrSurfr
10-15-2015, 22:21
Gonna make sure I have swim trunks this time, lol

Cotton or poly?

silentorpheus
10-15-2015, 22:21
Cotton or poly?

Cotton kills. Everyone knows that. :shades:

Suede
10-15-2015, 23:52
Bummer! I have yo miss this! Will be in Colorado snowboarding.

effensmurfy
10-16-2015, 14:13
Cotton or poly?
Was going to try to find a Cuban Fiber swimsuit[emoji1]

mychal
10-16-2015, 14:16
Was going to try to find a Cuban Fiber swimsuit[emoji1]

CF is translucent. ;)

GreatBigDave
10-16-2015, 14:19
That would be f'nsmurfy.

effensmurfy
10-16-2015, 14:24
CF is translucent. ;)
True, but swimming in January will also mean parts hiding. So not much to see, lol.

monkeynono
10-16-2015, 19:00
I'm so in as long as lazy river road don't hit a stump.

Can't get the sheet to work (I'm computer stupid)

Black Foot
10-16-2015, 19:25
I'm in, even if it snows and/or LRR hits a stump. Looking forward to it.

SilvrSurfr
10-18-2015, 12:24

I just got back from an overnighter with Ratdog and njredneck at Batona Camp with an overnight low of 27 degrees. Whooo! Buddy! That cold weather shocked the system.

I know this is difficult to believe, but the State of NJ has lazy-river-road proofed the road between Carranza Road and Batona Camp. That's right, they repaired the road and I hesitate to say, but it's almost flat now. It might be hard to find a high-quality stump to take out your oil pan. We may need a couple of feet of snow just to make it interesting!

mattyoc20
10-24-2015, 19:57
Yea buddy I'm in. This is my favorite hang.

lazy river road
10-24-2015, 22:18

Can't get the sheet to work (I'm computer stupid)

I'm in, even if it snows and/or LRR hits a stump. Looking forward to it.

I just got back from an overnighter with Ratdog and njredneck at Batona Camp with an overnight low of 27 degrees. Whooo! Buddy! That cold weather shocked the system.

I know this is difficult to believe, but the State of NJ has lazy-river-road proofed the road between Carranza Road and Batona Camp. That's right, they repaired the road and I hesitate to say, but it's almost flat now. It might be hard to find a high-quality stump to take out your oil pan. We may need a couple of feet of snow just to make it interesting!

Yall know my car never was the same after that night lol. And funny as it is just sold it a few weeks ago and actually got decent money for it. The wife would never let me hang again if that ever happened to our new minivan. Anyways I'm in the middle of taking grad classes and some are on Saturdays so depending on when classes are I'm hoping to make it. You are all a great bunch of people's.

lazy river road
10-25-2015, 09:54
Ok so good new bad news. My class does interfere with he hang. Class ends at 4p.m. on Saturday so that's when I'll be heading up.

mychal
10-27-2015, 15:47
I think I'm in. My kids will get their winter sports schedules before December, so I'll have firmer numbers then. Or, might just be me.

BrockLeigh
10-30-2015, 20:14
Onboard with T-Dog.

Ratdog
10-30-2015, 20:31
Pumpkin lights, pirate flags and ginger ale bombs... Cool, I'm in.

mychal
10-30-2015, 20:41
Pumpkin lights, pirate flags and ginger ale bombs... Cool, I'm in.
Sounds more like a rave.

Ratdog
10-31-2015, 12:45
Sounds more like a rave.
Haha I guess it does.:laugh:

Up at Stokes the other week a 2 liter bottle feel off a truck and exploded. Some of the stuff removed from the truck included, well, a box you'd have thought was packed by the Shug himself. We did not lack for entertainment and I expect the same is in store for the upcoming winter hang.

Speaking of which, any news on the reservations SS?

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 14:06
Speaking of which, any news on the reservations SS?

I called ReserveAmerica - they said Batona is closed until March 4th. Well, that didn't sound right, so I called Batsto Village, and they told me the same thing.

Luckily, they quickly reversed themselves and said the website would be fixed by Monday.

monkeynono
10-31-2015, 19:18
Sweet, I was just going to ask when I go to batsto next week.

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 19:26
Sweet, I was just going to ask when I go to batsto next week.

Glad I have seen this happen before. They almost convinced me that Batona Camp was now closed to winter camping. I was actually scouring their website while I had them on the phone to see if something had changed.

I think there is just something wrong with the ReserveAmerica software that blocks you from reserving in the next calendar year. Last time they had to remove the block, which is what they'll do this time.

mychal
10-31-2015, 19:35
Glad I have seen this happen before. They almost convinced me that Batona Camp was now closed to winter camping. I was actually scouring their website while I had them on the phone to see if something had changed.

I think there is just something wrong with the ReserveAmerica software that blocks you from reserving in the next calendar year. Last time they had to remove the block, which is what they'll do this time.
I thought the same thing at first, but when I clicked "Next Available Date," it took me to March or April of 2016, and said those dates were available.

So...maybe the cosmos is saying we should also be planning a late winter/early spring hang...

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 21:40
You can book any Batona Camp site through December 30, 2015, then all the sites are blocked out from that date on. I'm sure they'll get it resolved quickly - they did last time.

mychal
10-31-2015, 21:47
You can book any Batona Camp site through December 30, 2015, then all the sites are blocked out from that date on. I'm sure they'll get it resolved quickly - they did last time.
That's my point. Starting March 4th, they show as available.

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 22:03
That's my point. Starting March 4th, they show as available.

Trust me - they didn't suddenly decide to eliminate winter camping in Wharton State Forest from 12/30/15 to 3/4/16 without announcing it or publishing it on their website. This problem has happened before and was resolved quickly, and it will be resolved quickly again. They told me so.

mychal
10-31-2015, 22:05
Trust me - they didn't suddenly decide to eliminate winter camping in Wharton State Forest from 12/30/15 to 3/4/16 without announcing it or publishing it on their website. This problem has happened before and was resolved quickly, and it will be resolved quickly again. They told me so.
Heh. No, I'm not saying that. I'm only saying that The Fates are trying to tell us that we should be planning a party Match 4th hang, _as well_ as the Winter Hang. [emoji6]

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 22:12
Heh. No, I'm not saying that. I'm only saying that The Fates are trying to tell us that we should be planning a party Match 4th hang, _as well_ as the Winter Hang. [emoji6]

All for it!

mychal
10-31-2015, 22:24
All for it!
But can he do the job. I know he can get the job but can he DO the job? I'm NOT arguing that with you. I'm not arguing that with YOU. I'm not ARGUING that with you. I'm not ARGUING that with you Harry! Harry... Harry... Yeah Harry... but can he DO the job. I know he can GET the job but can he do the job?

The Tree Frog
10-31-2015, 23:07
My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement.

SilvrSurfr
10-31-2015, 23:14
But can he do the job. I know he can get the job but can he DO the job? I'm NOT arguing that with you. I'm not arguing that with YOU. I'm not ARGUING that with you. I'm not ARGUING that with you Harry! Harry... Harry... Yeah Harry... but can he DO the job. I know he can GET the job but can he do the job?

That's an obscure movie reference - might have to actually watch the movie again!

Uphill
11-02-2015, 12:40
Glad this thread has been started so I can add to my calendar.

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2015, 15:17
I had to call Batsto Village again today since they didn't unblock the dates - they finally did so just a while ago (takes a supervisor to do so, apparently).

Anyway, I booked site 5 for 6 people, two nights (1/29 -30/16) at a cost of $45.50 (two nights x 6 people x $3 = $18 x 2 =$36 plus $9.50 reservation fee). Out-of-state folks should not book a site since they'll have to pay $5 per person per night rather than $3.

mychal
11-04-2015, 15:27
Are we booking each site for 6 people? Do 60 people really come to this? If so, cool!

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2015, 15:29
Are we booking each site for 6 people? Do 60 people really come to this? If so, cool!

I just booked site five for six people - we usually have between 40 & 70 people. So if you're booking a site, you should probably just do two people and once all the sites are reserved, we'll figure out how to adjust the numbers.

mychal
11-04-2015, 15:33
I just booked site five for six people - we usually have between 40 & 70 people. So if you're booking a site, you should probably just do two people and once all the sites are reserved, we'll figure out how to adjust the numbers.

Too late. I have to leave the house, and knew I wouldn't remember to do this anytime soon, so I booked 9 for 6 people.

monkeynono
11-04-2015, 19:17
Done, booked #12 2 people 2cars

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2015, 19:42
Done, booked #12 2 people 2cars

Three down - ten to go!

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2015, 21:38
I think all further reservations should just be one person from now on, with the exception of Group Site A (minimum 7 people). That way we won't book too many people. I don't think we have to worry about number of cars or where anyone camps since we're reserving the whole site.

Site 5 - 6 people
site 9 - 6 people
site 12 - 2 people
Group Site A - 7 people
all other sites - 9 people

total - 30 people

I don't know why I booked site 5 for six people - I just wasn't thinking.

SilvrSurfr
11-05-2015, 17:18
I was gonna check last year's attendance but Iafte is reusing the same spreadsheet so I guess it's lost forever. I would guess we had around 30 people last year.

SilvrSurfr
11-05-2015, 22:55
I updated the spreadsheet to show people who have committed (and people who have reserved sites, with number of reservations). Right now there are 17 plus 11 possibles.

SilvrSurfr
11-06-2015, 11:59
Make that 21 plus 11 possibles.

Booskerdoo will be providing the fresh-roasted coffee again this year, plus donating a couple of pounds for giveaway.

Lamboy
11-06-2015, 20:16
I had to bail last year at the last minute. If wedding preparations don't hold me back I will do my best to make amends

Cranky Bear
11-07-2015, 22:08
Signed up and hoping too make it.

SilvrSurfr
11-07-2015, 22:11
Signed up and hoping too make it.

I'm seriously confused - didn't Cranky Bear become Yoda and now he's Cranky Bear again????

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for it!

Cranky Bear
11-07-2015, 22:45
Guess it doesn't take much to confuse you, but yes you are correct the user name did change back. Its a long story, one that I will not post here on the forum but if you are that intrigued I can explain it too you around the campfire next we meet?

The Tree Frog
11-08-2015, 16:15
Updated spreadsheet. If all goes well, I will be there.

fallkniven
11-10-2015, 14:09
I reserved a site, forget which one it was....

SilvrSurfr
11-10-2015, 14:38

Site 7 - four down, nine to go.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 00:08

C'mon folks. If fallkniven can take time out of his busy schedule photographing fatwood, then you too can take a few minutes to reserve a site!:lol:

GreatBigDave
11-11-2015, 07:46
Site 3, 2 people, 2 cars.
My schedule may prevent or delay me but i'm in for $21.50 worth of maybe.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 14:01
Please make all further reservations for one person, one car. We don't want to end up paying for more people than necessary.

Iafte
11-11-2015, 15:23
Please make all further reservations for one person, one car. We don't want to end up paying for more people than necessary.

Make it 2 people 2 cars. Don't worry, everyone will get reimbursed.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 15:42
Make it 2 people 2 cars. Don't worry, everyone will get reimbursed.

I think it should be one person, one car. See my post #50.

Site 5 - 6 people
site 9 - 6 people
site 12 - 2 people
Group Site A - 7 people
site 7 - 2 people
site 3 - 1 person?
all other sites - 7 people

total - 31 people

If we continue to book two people per site, we'll end up with 45 reservations. Mychal and I have already reserved sites 5 and 9 with six people, and the minimum reservation for group site A is seven people.

Iafte
11-11-2015, 15:55
I think it should be one person, one car. See my post #50.

Site 5 - 6 people
site 9 - 6 people
site 12 - 2 people
Group Site A - 7 people
site 7 - 2 people
site 3 - 1 person?
all other sites - 7 people

total - 31 people

If we continue to book two people per site, we'll end up with 45 reservations. Mychal and I have already reserved sites 5 and 9 with six people, and the minimum reservation for group site A is seven people.

I understand that, but I don't want any issues with the rangers.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 16:13
I understand that, but I don't want any issues with the rangers.

I don't see any issues with the rangers. We always pay for the number of people present. If we book more people than are present, then they can't give us a refund. As far as I know, the rangers just want us to pay for the people who are there, not for more people than are there.

We have already reserved for 17 people, and the minimum for group site A is seven people. Once we book the other seven sites (one car, one person), that's 31 people. I don't see any reason why we would make reservations for 45 people when we don't know if we'll have that many. I don't think we had more than thirty last year.

GreatBigDave
11-11-2015, 16:28
I missed the one person part in your post, I booked for 2. What's done is done. Doesn't cost extra to book 2 cars.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 16:43
I missed the one person part in your post, I booked for 2. What's done is done. Doesn't cost extra to book 2 cars.

No problem. I'm just trying to emphasize that if we continue to book two people per site, we will have reservations for 45 people. I just can't see why we would pay for 45 people until we know we have 45 people.

Ratdog
11-11-2015, 17:51
No problem. I'm just trying to emphasize that if we continue to book two people per site, we will have reservations for 45 people. I just can't see why we would pay for 45 people until we know we have 45 people.
Because your over zealousness booked 6 people and led mychal astray to do the same you eager beaver you. :D A refund is possible, so is moving the head count around to have at least 2 people per site. Just need to drop by Batsto at talk to J. We can take this offline to resolve.

mychal
11-11-2015, 18:25
Because your over zealousness booked 6 people and led mychal astray to do the same you eager beaver you. :D A refund is possible, so is moving the head count around to have at least 2 people per site. Just need to drop by Batsto at talk to J. We can take this offline to resolve.
To be fair, I'm easily led astray. Besides, I booked a site for six and two cars last year and didn't even attend. I thought of it as an investment in the Garden State Blah Blah Zany Hammock Club (or whatever it's called).

Ratdog
11-11-2015, 18:34
To be fair, I'm easily led astray. Besides, I booked a site for six and two cars last year and didn't even attend. I thought of it as an investment in the Garden State Blah Blah Zany Hammock Club (or whatever it's called).

Quick, someone trademark that! GSBBZHC.org

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2015, 20:42
Just need to drop by Batsto at talk to J. We can take this offline to resolve.

I look forward to discussing a resolution offline!

Once we have all the sites booked, it's probably easier for them to move reservations around. Until then, we just need to reserve one person, one car per site until we get it resolved (with the exception of Group Site A, which requires a minimum of 7 reservations).

The Tree Frog
11-11-2015, 22:07
Quick, someone trademark that! GSBBZHC.org

Ok, just registered that name too! Just kidding.

fallkniven
11-12-2015, 19:52
C'mon folks. If fallkniven can take time out of his busy schedule photographing fatwood, then you too can take a few minutes to reserve a site!:lol:

it's a tough life, but there's a lot of fatwood out there, and somebody's got to photograph it...

effensmurfy
11-12-2015, 21:51
Site 6 reserved. 1 person 1 car.

SilvrSurfr
11-12-2015, 23:00
Thanks, effensmurfy!

So far we have the following sites booked:

site 3 - GreatBigDave - 2 people
Site 5 - silvrsurfr - 6 people
Site 6 -effnsmurfy - 1 person
site 7 - fallkniven - 1 person?
site 9 - mychal - 6 people
site 12 - monkeynono - 2 people

The login sheet shows 25 attending, 12 possible. We have 18 total reservations booked, but the remaining sites will require 13 (total 31 reservations booked).

Still need to book the other sites, with one person, one car per site, except Group Site A - which is a minimum of 7 people.

Group A
Site 1
Site 2
Site 4
Site 8
Site 10
Site 11

Dylan
11-13-2015, 15:07
I just woke from my coma, got caught up on this thread, booked site #4, and added my name to the signup sheet.

BrockLeigh
11-13-2015, 15:18
Ima PA boy without a current BookAmerica account dealy but I could book one. I know there is time left and ya'll say leave it for NJ due to the price difference. Let me know if I should book one...?

SilvrSurfr
11-15-2015, 17:25
Ratdog, The Tree Frog and I spent last night at Mullica River. The low was 27 degrees - much appreciated cooler weather!

monkeynono
11-15-2015, 20:46
Ratdog, The Tree Frog and I spent last night at Mullica River. The low was 27 degrees - much appreciated cooler weather!

Ha, I was at Lower Forge Friday-Sunday 27* wow I didn't think it got that cold but it is good to know (I was very warm)

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2015, 01:20
Come on, NJ Residents. We need you to book the rest of the sites before someone takes them. We're up to 28 attending and 14 possible.

Please book 1/29 and 1/30 at Batona, one person, one car, since we don't need to pay for any more people right now (note: group site A will require reserving 6 or 7 people).

Thanks, effensmurfy!

So far we have the following sites booked:

The login sheet shows 25 attending, 12 possible. We have 18 total reservations booked, but the remaining sites will require 13 (total 31 reservations booked).

Still need to book the other sites, with one person, one car per site, except Group Site A - which is a minimum of 7 people.

Group A
Site 1
Site 2
Site 4
Site 8
Site 10
Site 11

rmaciv
12-13-2015, 09:44
Reserved site 11 for 2 nights 1 person 1 car

pinballwizard
12-13-2015, 10:04
Why do all the sites have to be booked? Surely there aren't going to be many, if ANY other campers at that time there, no?

fallkniven
12-13-2015, 10:56
Why do all the sites have to be booked? Surely there aren't going to be many, if ANY other campers at that time there, no?

Because we're too awesome to have others in our presence....

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2015, 13:40

Quick answer: because we always book all the sites and that way it's strictly an HF event. We don't have to worry about pineys blaring their stereos or burning pallets all night. Besides, there are only 13 sites.

Dylan
12-13-2015, 14:10
We don't have to worry about pineys blaring their stereos or burning pallets all night. ... or shooting paint balls at us.

monkeynono
12-13-2015, 14:59
Quick answer: because we always book all the sites and that way it's strictly an HF event. We don't have to worry about pineys blaring their stereos or burning pallets all night. Besides, there are only 13 sites.

Wait so your saying I can't blast my radio? Or burn pallets all night?

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2015, 15:13
Wait so your saying I can't blast my radio? Or burn pallets all night?

And if you bring a drone, somebody (I'm not saying who, but if the shoe fits, wear it) is liable to blast it out of the sky!

monkeynono
12-13-2015, 15:20
I'm with you on the drone, I will blast it out of the sky. They kinda creep me out.

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2015, 15:50
I'm with you on the drone, I will blast it out of the sky. They kinda creep me out.

You will have a true friend at the NJ Winter Hang (I'm not saying who)!!!!

SilvrSurfr
12-13-2015, 17:01
Reserved site 11 for 2 nights 1 person 1 car

Thanks, rmaciv!

I added you to the spreadsheet. So far we have 7 sites booked, with 21 reservations paid for.
The following sites are booked:

site 11 - rmaciv - 1 person

The login sheet shows 30 attending, 16 possible.

Group A
Site 1
Site 2
Site 4
Site 8
Site 10

effensmurfy
12-13-2015, 17:06
Someone better start doing whatever kind of weather dance we need to get some colder temperatures. 70 degrees in the middle of December?

P-47ChowHound
12-14-2015, 18:50
Reserved Site 10 Tried for #4 to be close to SS but someone beat me to it.:lol:

SilvrSurfr
12-14-2015, 19:31
Thanks, P47-Chowhound!

Only four more sites left to book.
The following sites are booked:

Site 4 - Dylan - 1 person?
site 10 - P-47Chowhound - 1 person?
site 11 - rmaciv - 1 person

Group A
Site 1
Site 2
Site 8

SilvrSurfr
12-15-2015, 01:20
Ratdog, you know you want to book site 1. You love that site!

Ratdog
12-15-2015, 02:01

Thought you were switching your reservation to the group site? They can do it over the phone.

I need a site with lots of trees, not visible from the air...

Ratdog
12-15-2015, 02:09

Site 1 locked up.

The Tree Frog
12-16-2015, 18:05
Site 8 is booked.

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 13:34
To make things easier, I changed my reservation from site 5 to Group site A for a mere $7.25 change fee from Reserve America. So now, the only sites left for us to reserve are site 2 and 5. So if a NJ resident will kindly book those sites for one person, one car, then we will have all sites reserved!

georgecarr
12-17-2015, 16:36
I just booked site 2

mychal
12-17-2015, 16:38
I just booked site 2
Super! I missed checking out your quilts at MAHHA, because I was too busy hanging with my kids. I get a second chance! I want a Rutgers-themed quilt set, but brick red won't do it. Let's brainstorm!

georgecarr
12-17-2015, 16:46
Super! I missed checking out your quilts at MAHHA, because I was too busy hanging with my kids. I get a second chance! I want a Rutgers-themed quilt set, but brick red won't do it. Let's brainstorm!

You got it!

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 16:46
Only site 5 remaining to be booked, one person one car.

georgecarr
12-17-2015, 16:49
Alright, my mind is officially blown! I went back to update the spreadsheet and it was already done by anonymus gopher!:scared::lol:
https://youtu.be/etpHKueh6S0

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 16:56
Alright, my mind is officially blown! I went back to update the spreadsheet and it was already done by anonymus gopher!:scared::lol:

https://youtu.be/etpHKueh6S0

Anonymous gopher thanks you. So you're gonna come Friday too?

georgecarr
12-17-2015, 16:57
Anonymous gopher thanks you. So you're gonna come Friday too?

Hoping to - Friday's iffy right now.

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 17:11
Hoping to - Friday's iffy right now.

We might have to transfer your reservation to someone if you're not coming Friday, but I doubt it since we have the entire site (except site 5) reserved.

georgecarr
12-17-2015, 17:56
We might have to transfer your reservation to someone if you're not coming Friday, but I doubt it since we have the entire site (except site 5) reserved.
I'll most likely be there one way or another. Its only 25 minutes from the house

silentorpheus
12-17-2015, 19:04
Site 5 is taken care of.

That's a wrap, folks. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 19:44
Site 5 is taken care of.

That's a wrap, folks. :shades:

Thank you, silentorpheus. Now we can move on to worrying about more serious things!

monkeynono
12-17-2015, 19:53
Thank you, silentorpheus. Now we can move on to worrying about more serious things!

Like bacon!!!!!!!!

Ratdog
12-17-2015, 23:48
Like bacon!!!!!!!!

Word

SilvrSurfr
12-17-2015, 23:53
Like bacon!!!!!!!!

I have heard so much about mattyoc20's home cured bacon. Hopefully, we'll get to try some!

georgecarr
12-18-2015, 00:02

Read my confirmation and realized your concern. No worries, I'll check in at Batsto on Friday, 1/29.

pinballwizard
12-18-2015, 00:09
I have heard so much about mattyoc20's home cured bacon. Hopefully, we'll get to try some!

Oh, I almost forgot about his bacon; That's great stuff!!!

SkyPainter
12-20-2015, 21:44
===> If I manage to break loose, will there be a coupla trees for me, and maybe my vehicle? I loved this hang three years ago! Drove down from Boston for one night.

~ SkyPainter

The Tree Frog
12-20-2015, 21:47
===> If I manage to break loose, will there be a coupla trees for me, and maybe my vehicle? I loved this hang three years ago! Drove down from Boston for one night.

~ SkyPainter

Absolutely. We booked the whole camp...all sites are ours! All trees are ours!

GreatBigDave
12-20-2015, 22:01
All Batona Trees Are Belong To Us

fallkniven
12-20-2015, 22:37
All Batona Trees Are Belong To Us

Hey, don't make us sound retarded....

GreatBigDave
12-20-2015, 23:13
Uh, er, um...
Did I do that?

mychal
12-20-2015, 23:18
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151221/4acc5b22f58b9950c745e735cac91ca6.jpg

GreatBigDave
12-20-2015, 23:22
For Great Justice!

Ratdog
12-21-2015, 00:57
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151221/4acc5b22f58b9950c745e735cac91ca6.jpg

For Great Justice!

You are both geeks.

Good to know I'm not the only one. :cool:

georgecarr
12-21-2015, 07:17
Like bacon!!!!!!!!

The Tree Frog
12-21-2015, 18:12

Uugghh ! Lol

effensmurfy
12-22-2015, 11:40
Let us not forget Bacon Fried Brats

jerzybears
12-22-2015, 19:39
Where's that spreadsheet. Russ and I are in!!

monkeynono
12-22-2015, 19:45

On a serious note do we need pallets? I passed a couple today

SilvrSurfr
12-22-2015, 19:49
On a serious note do we need pallets? I passed a couple today

We always need pallets. What's wrong with you for asking such a question?:lol:

monkeynono
12-22-2015, 20:23
Hah, I thought so. I will start stocking up now.

Saint Francis
12-27-2015, 19:27
This will be my first Batona hang. I've been to MAHHA, so this idea of reserving sites is a bit new to me. I'm going solo, so is it cool if I reserve a site for myself or is that selfish? Can any MAHHA vets give this first-timer some tips on how to have a good Batona hang? Thanks.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2015, 20:13
This will be my first Batona hang. I've been to MAHHA, so this idea of reserving sites is a bit new to me. I'm going solo, so is it cool if I reserve a site for myself or is that selfish? Can any MAHHA vets give this first-timer some tips on how to have a good Batona hang? Thanks.

Too late - all sites are already reserved so you can't reserve a site even if you wanted to. FYI, it is, sadly, pretty common for noobs to try and "go it alone" and not trust the group thing at group hangs. The end result was that we ended up reserving too many sites, which sometimes severely impacted the group budget.

This is a pretty laid-back hang without a planned meal budget. Only the site fees are shared, so you'll be expected to pay your share. As for food, we haven't ever done a shared budget at the NJ Winter Hang, so bring a dish to share with the group (and to enter it into the coup de grace de grub).

I usually bring the fresh-roasted coffee (courtesy of Booskerdoo), but we'll need to bring bacon, eggs, etc., for breakfast. Lunch is usually on your own.

georgecarr
12-27-2015, 20:16
Its not that big of a place so even if you could there would be no benefit. Sign up, show, and enjoy!

BrockLeigh
12-27-2015, 20:17
Budget? Who is the controller? And I guess there is a president?

The Tree Frog
12-27-2015, 20:18

We reserve the entire camp so we have plenty of room for everyone. If some people reserve a site for themselves, we lose out on some good trees. So, everyone shares.

We also, like MAHHA, share some meals. Read the thread and spreadsheets to get all details at group hangs. The difference for this hang vs MAHHA is that it should be cold. Make sure you are properly geared up.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2015, 20:31
Budget? Who is the controller? And I guess there is a president?

Like I said, other than site fees, everything else is provided out of the kindness of your heart. So if you want to bring lobster, we'll love you for it.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2015, 20:36
The difference for this hang vs MAHHA is that it should be cold. Make sure you are properly geared up.

El Niño isn't so sure about your "cold" prediction. I hope you're right; I'm sick of this warm weather.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2015, 21:20

The main difference between MAHHA and the NJ Winter Hang is that the unpaved road from Carranza Road to the campsite can be tricky. While it's less than 1/4 mile, plenty of people have gotten stuck and had to be towed out. One idiot (who shall remain unnamed) got his uninsured rental car stuck in the sugar sand, but someone was nice enough to push him out (the front bumper unfortunately detached, but a kind piney reattached it and the rental car was returned with nobody the wiser).

Last year somebody lost an oil pan on a tree stump, so the main advice is stay on the road, and watch out for sugar sand. If it's been raining, don't just drive through the puddle. Get out of your car and assess the depth of the water and whether you can make it. If it's been snowing, be especially careful so you don't have to get towed out (you won't even know there's a puddle until it's too late).

The good news is that they finally repaved the road from Carranza Road to the campsite, so we probably have much less to worry about this year. By next year, I'm sure the road will be back to its usual rutted self!

mychal
12-27-2015, 21:25
The main difference between MAHHA and the NJ Winter Hang is that the unpaved road from Carranza Road to the campsite can be tricky. While it's less than 1/4 mile, plenty of people have gotten stuck and had to be towed out. One idiot (who shall remain unnamed) got his uninsured rental car stuck in the sugar sand, but someone was nice enough to push him out (the front bumper unfortunately detached, but a kind piney reattached it and the rental car was returned with nobody the wiser).

Last year somebody lost an oil pan on a tree stump, so the main advice is stay on the road, and watch out for sugar sand. If it's been raining, don't just drive through the puddle. Get out of your car and assess the depth of the water and whether you can make it. If it's been snowing, be especially careful so you don't have to get towed out (you won't even know there's a puddle until it's too late).

The good news is that they finally repaved the road from Carranza Road to the campsite, so we probably have much less to worry about this year. By next year, I'm sure the road will be back to its usual rutted self!
Define "repaved."

Uphill
12-27-2015, 21:30

It was paved? I must've come in the wrong way last year.

SilvrSurfr
12-27-2015, 21:31
Define "repaved."

Sorry, don't know why I used that word. They filled in the holes and added more sand so it's a pretty flat drive.

BrockLeigh
12-27-2015, 21:33
MMmmm President Lobster!

monkeynono
12-27-2015, 22:02
Also I will be there early and can help with navigating the trail if needed and recovery as well.

silentorpheus
12-27-2015, 22:03
Sorry, don't know why I used that word. They filled in the holes and added more sand so it's a pretty flat drive.

The word you're looking for is 'regraded' :shades:

I'm sure it'll all wash out again soon enough. That's what happens to all the roads eventually down there. At least we can enjoy it for a little while.

georgecarr
12-28-2015, 01:01
I have a diesel 4x4 so bring your tow straps. No one gets left behind:lol:

Chris183
01-03-2016, 17:34
If there's room we'd like to join

silentorpheus
01-03-2016, 17:36

Plenty of room - It'll be good to see you guys!

The Tree Frog
01-03-2016, 19:38

Welcome one and all!

Syb
01-04-2016, 08:35
Syb is in for this hang.

mychal
01-04-2016, 08:38
Bo knows baseball.

njsurfer
01-05-2016, 08:27
Tested my winter insulation down to 8° last night. Super warm all night in just a base layer and a lightweight fleece top. If I can find someone to watch the kids that weekend I'll be there!

The Tree Frog
01-05-2016, 20:40
Tested my winter insulation down to 8° last night. Super warm all night in just a base layer and a lightweight fleece top. If I can find someone to watch the kids that weekend I'll be there!

Try. It's a lot of fun.

I was going to test my cold weather gear but it was cold outside! :lol: brrrrr

P-47ChowHound
01-07-2016, 04:56
Well I just spoke to Missy @ UGQ and I will have my new Renegade in time for this hang. :boggle:

jerzybears
01-10-2016, 22:26
Thread for the spread sheet? Can't find it!

silentorpheus
01-10-2016, 22:34

Spreadsheet is HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8YdxlHBsvqgF5CVVAIDCpB-YrTg7aKIqHB7quP_fjM/edit?pli=1#gid=0)

You're already on it. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
01-10-2016, 22:34

First post - I added you guys a while ago.

GreatBigDave
01-11-2016, 00:06
When did I vote?
What does the president do?
Is there ceremonial garb?

SilvrSurfr
01-12-2016, 00:48
When did I vote?
What does the president do?
Is there ceremonial garb?

Well, I like that I voted for myself. That was a thoughtful touch; whoever added that column (like we don't know).:lol:

SilvrSurfr
01-12-2016, 00:58
Looks like we'll have a nice gathering, with 39 attending and another 23 possible!

We should probably nail down who is bringing firewood, pallets, etc., to make sure we have enough for the weekend.

It's also probably time to figure out who's bringing what for meals. I've got fresh-ground coffee covered for Saturday and Sunday morning, thanks to a generous donation from Booskerdoo Roasters of Monmouth Beach, New Jersey. We should round out the breakfast menu and try to fill in the dinner menus as well.

Does anyone else have a coffee press? I have one, as does silentorpheus and njredneck. However, we could use more presses.

This is for you, Ratdog.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 01:34
Looks like we'll have a nice gathering, with 39 attending and another 23 possible!

We should probably nail down who is bringing firewood, pallets, etc., to make sure we have enough for the weekend.

It's also probably time to figure out who's bringing what for meals. I've got fresh-ground coffee covered for Saturday and Sunday morning, thanks to a generous donation from Booskerdoo Roasters of Monmouth Beach, New Jersey. We should round out the breakfast menu and try to fill in the dinner menus as well.

Firewood is on the spreadsheet.

NJRedneck mentioned one of the guys had access to some pallets.

Maybe add a column for Breakfast Sat, Dinner Sat, Breakfast Sun.
Friday is bring your own food iirc.

>Ad hoc hikes on Sat?

>Hike to Apple Pie Hill and back? (8mi) http://southjerseytrails.org/2013/03/25/batona-trail-carranza-memorial-to-apple-pie-hill-tabernacle-nj/

>Clean up run? Do a little clean up at the camp or nearby?

>Fun with fire starting/prep

>Fun with sharp objects

>Gear show and tell - bring a pack and dump it out for all to see

>Baking contest or how I plan on getting some free muffins or brownies ;)

>4x4 run to Apple Pie Hill? (the back way...legal dirt roads, no law breaking)

>Local landmark tour via 4x4?
--> Carranza Memorial http://weirdnj.com/stories/mystery-history/carranza/ http://southjerseyexplorer.com/2012/08/30/emilio-carranza-memorial/
--> Wandering Priest Cemetery
--> Apple Pie Hill
--> CNJ Railroad
--> foundations of some long forgotten (almost) building or town

Lots of options - http://www.njpinebarrens.com/category/explore/

Optimistic I know but if there's interest, I'm willing to show some folks around. Also perfectly content to sit/stand/hammock around yappin' and nappin' :cool:

SilvrSurfr
01-12-2016, 01:39
I already added columns for food Friday and Saturday, and a column for breakfast. If njredneck is going to Costco, I'll bet he gets better prices than I do on bacon, eggs, cheese, tortillas, etc. So I would rather pay him to buy the stuff than bring it myself.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 01:56
I already added columns for food Friday and Saturday, and a column for breakfast. If njredneck is going to Costco, I'll bet he gets better prices than I do on bacon, eggs, cheese, tortillas, etc. So I would rather pay him to buy the stuff than bring it myself.

Yeah, those columns weren't there when I started typing my post. :lol:

I'm not a Costco member and I won't volunteer NJRedneck for anything but I will be wishing for some biscuits. Only just started thinking about my contribution for Sat night, still up in the air. I know I'm going to bring along some leafy greens, baby spinach, romain, iceberg, cukes, onions to supplement whatever I do. Breakfast burritos always work. I keep trashing Silentorpheus' grill every time I scramble eggs, thinking maybe I should switch it up to some flapjacks, what could possibly go wrong with them? Then of course there's the deep fried brats, we'll need plenty of bacon to prep those correctly. Gotta say I'm liking the way the hash browns have been working out but need to make sure we have some fixins' to spice 'em up the way S.O. did at Mullica.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 01:59

Only one breakfast column? Are we not doing 2 breakfasts?
There is an organized dinner Friday?
And let's not forget midnight snack?

SilvrSurfr
01-12-2016, 02:04
Only one breakfast column? Are we not doing 2 breakfasts?
There is an organized dinner Friday?
And let's not forget midnight snack?

Thumbs up to all the above. I figured we needed only one breakfast column 'cause we know we need about 10 to 12 lb. of bacon, 10 dozen eggs, a couple of pounds of cheese, etc.

And don't forget biscuits and gravy!

I'm making some fresh salsa verde for breakfast (or any other meal). I will bring a couple of pounds of salsa verde, since it seems to get consumed!

monkeynono
01-12-2016, 07:06
I will be bringing some bacon from my local butchers, some pallets (3 as of now), and firewood.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 16:56
I will be bringing 64lbs of prime smoked bacon from my local butchers, some pallets (3 as of now), and firewood.
Spreadsheet updated.

monkeynono
01-12-2016, 17:21
Spreadsheet updated.

I see what you did there...lol. not 64lbs but close

The Tree Frog
01-12-2016, 18:52
4x4 trip sounds good to me this year. Im trying to convince my son, Cheeseboy, to come. He has his driver permit so letting him cruise the pines just may do it.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 20:15
4x4 trip sounds good to me this year. Im trying to convince my son, Cheeseboy, to come. He has his driver permit so letting him cruise the pines just may do it.

Just let me know where you want the mudline, top of the wheels, hood level or top of the doors. :cool:

j/k of course, my driveline is not "sealed" like a Jeep so just fire roads and mud puddles, some a little deeper than others.

monkeynono
01-12-2016, 20:17
Just let me know where you want the mudline, top of the wheels, hood level or top of the doors. :cool:

j/k of course, my driveline is not "sealed" like a Jeep so just fire roads and mud puddles, some a little deeper than others.

Top of the doors!!!! Water Road then? We could almost kayak it if we get enough rain.

Ratdog
01-12-2016, 20:23
Top of the doors!!!! Water Road then? We could almost kayak it if we get enough rain.

If you want to paddle in to camp, it can be arranged. I know a guide by the name of SilvrSurfer that has paddled the mighty Skit Branch at high water levels, knows the route from the bridge, through the pond, over the dams and through the swamp all the way to camp.

SilvrSurfr
01-12-2016, 20:37
If you want to paddle in to camp, it can be arranged. I know a guide by the name of SilvrSurfer that has paddled the mighty Skit Branch at high water levels, knows the route from the bridge, through the pond, over the dams and through the swamp all the way to camp.

Depends on which bridge you're talking about - I've been almost to the bridge to the northeast, but water levels were not sufficient to make it.

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&cp=39.783263~-74.624203&lvl=15&style=h&v=2&sV=1&form=S00027

If the weather is warm, I'll definitely bring my canoe. If not, it's staying at home. I'll bet Zach is hoping the weather is warm!

The Tree Frog
01-12-2016, 21:43
Depends on which bridge you're talking about - I've been almost to the bridge to the northeast, but water levels were not sufficient to make it.

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&cp=39.783263~-74.624203&lvl=15&style=h&v=2&sV=1&form=S00027

If the weather is warm, I'll definitely bring my canoe. If not, it's staying at home. I'll bet Zach is hoping the weather is warm!

You would be correct. He doesn't want to hang in the cold. If it is mild, we will be there the whole weekend. If it is cold, I may have to be satisfied with Saturday to Sunday. If it snows, I will send him away and go myself!

Ratdog
01-16-2016, 11:46
Weekend bump for food and anything else.

Winter Hang Signup Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8YdxlHBsvqgF5CVVAIDCpB-YrTg7aKIqHB7quP_fjM/edit?pli=1#gid=0)

Although the regulars will be bringing plenty of food and essential supplies. Give a thought to bringing along a little something to share food wise and perhaps a donation to the raffle.

There is a pump at the campsite and it is extremely unlikely that it will be frozen given current temp patterns, so you will have water.

Activities will be ad-hoc. Food prep, fire maintenance and general socializing take up most of the time so usually the best opportunity for any hiking/exploring is Sat late morning, early afternoon. If there is interest I will offer a ride over to Apple Pie Hill (can take 4 passengers). It can be roundtrip or drop off for the hike back.

Directions are easy enough but specifics will be posted as we get closer to the date. The first post in this thread has the link to the map(s). Generally try to avoid the area where SilvrSurfr gets lost.

View from the top of the stairs. You can look east and see Atlantic City or west and see Philadelphia. I look north and see nothing but trees.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/352186fb68d3e50fae78d966a1abcc43.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/352186fb68d3e50fae78d966a1abcc43.jpg.html)

View from the stairs in winter, well, a winter with snow.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/2015%20Winter/IMG_20150305_172251249_HDR.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/2015%20Winter/IMG_20150305_172251249_HDR.jpg.html)

View of the tower in winter.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/2015%20Winter/IMG_20150305_171931765_HDR.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/2015%20Winter/IMG_20150305_171931765_HDR.jpg.html)

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 12:17
There might be a fire...

The Tree Frog
01-16-2016, 12:25
There will be pallet burning. We usually burn them straight up, but as evidenced by my sideways picture, we aren't picky about the fires orientation...or is that just my photo? :lol:

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 13:01
looks like we had a fire this year too...

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 13:04
some tasty food might be there...

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 13:08
or beverages....

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 13:10
or even bears...

Black Foot
01-16-2016, 13:11
and this thing...

FJRpilot
01-16-2016, 13:32
and this thing...

Is that the Jersey Devil?

The Tree Frog
01-16-2016, 18:55
Is that the Jersey Devil?

We offered this as his invitation but he didn't show. Loser!

Uphill
01-16-2016, 19:09
I guess I better figure out what I'll be offering in the way of food.

I'm excited to hang in some (hopefully) cold jersey weather!!

lazy river road
01-17-2016, 16:23
just read through the whole thread so not sure if I'm going to be able to make it but if you see someone pulling in 8 o'clock Saturday night that's me. right now it's 50-50 depends on what things look like next week

monkeynono
01-17-2016, 16:53
We got snow!!! Now only if it keeps up till the hang.

GeraldT
01-17-2016, 17:39
There's some small chance I may be able to make it. It all depends on work, and the weather not being too bad for a Honda Accord to get close enough to the site for me to hike in.

Gerald

SilvrSurfr
01-17-2016, 17:43
There's some small chance I may be able to make it. It all depends on work, and the weather not being too bad for a Honda Accord to get close enough to the site for me to hike in.

Gerald

Regardless of the weather, you should be able to get in with a Honda Accord. For the last five years, I've taken a Plymouth Neon and Chevy Cobalt and never got stuck.

Then again, I did get stuck once (not the Winter Hang); my first time at Batona, because I foolishly drove into the sugar sand.

SilvrSurfr
01-17-2016, 17:45
just read through the whole thread so not sure if I'm going to be able to make it but if you see someone pulling in 8 o'clock Saturday night that's me. right now it's 50-50 depends on what things look like next week

Are you driving in at 8 pm with an oil pan, or without?:lol:

lazy river road
01-18-2016, 09:30

I figured I would just tow in a whole other car. That way I would have my bases covered. :)

Uphill
01-18-2016, 09:42
I figured I would just tow in a whole other car. That way I would have my bases covered. :)

That's why us human beings are such an advance species. It's smarts like that which put us above and beyond the chimps.

Ratdog
01-18-2016, 12:00
I guess I better figure out what I'll be offering in the way of food.

I'm excited to hang in some (hopefully) cold jersey weather!!

Don't sweat it, making it up here is what counts.

I'm just pushing for a wide variety of eats haha. :lol:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
Be there, Aloha. :cool:

Gerald
Like SilvSurfr said, no worries on getting the car into camp. Just get that work stuff handled and it's all good.

Depends on whether he has to jump a stump or a miscellaneous bumper or two. :laugh:

njsurfer
01-18-2016, 22:22
Not positive if I can find a sitter for the kids and stay overnight, but even if I cant stay overnight I plan on swinging by with some food saturday (Chicken Tortilla Soup) and shooting some video.

Iafte
01-19-2016, 09:44
Guess I should pop in and say I'm still around . Stick is looking to head down Thursday night and start getting stuff set up. I will be stopping down Thursday night to drop some supplies off as I have to work Friday and will not get to camp until around 9:30pm.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Note: if you can't spend a night, Saturday between 4-9 is the best time to stop down. Dinner will be at 6. So plan on having your dish ready by then. Raffle 8ish.

Rules: 1. alcohol is prohibited in Jersey camps. Be discrete. This is not a weekend bender.
2. There will be children attending, silver surfer, keep your pants on. And on your head doesn't count.
3. Voting: I will have numbered cards to put next to your dish. I will have voting cards that everyone will get to put the number of who they like the best and we will tally around 8. Winner will be announced at the camp fire.
4. Raffle: depending on donations, the raffle will be held at the fire after the announcement of the Winner.
5. Voting for President of the hang: this is a dictatorship, no voting needed. :lol:

silentorpheus
01-19-2016, 22:09
Guess I should pop in and say I'm still around . Stick is looking to head down Thursday night and start getting stuff set up. I will be stopping down Thursday night to drop some supplies off as I have to work Friday and will not get to camp until around 9:30pm.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Note: if you can't spend a night, Saturday between 4-9 is the best time to stop down. Dinner will be at 6. So plan on having your dish ready by then. Raffle 8ish.

Rules: 1. alcohol is prohibited in Jersey camps. Be discrete. This is not a weekend bender.
2. There will be children attending, silver surfer, keep your pants on. And on your head doesn't count.
3. Voting: I will have numbered cards to put next to your dish. I will have voting cards that everyone will get to put the number of who they like the best and we will tally around 8. Winner will be announced at the camp fire.
4. Raffle: depending on donations, the raffle will be held at the fire after the announcement of the Winner.
5. Voting for President of the hang: this is a dictatorship, no voting needed. :lol:

SilvrSurfr's pants, or lack thereof, is not what one needs to worry about when children are around. :laugh::lol::shades:

Cave Man
01-20-2016, 18:14
Don't know if the snow will hold out a week or less for the hang , but I work in a branch of emergency services and I got to look at there forecast and it has 14" max for this camp area , just east and south 8-10 miles and they are looking at 1-3" Those of us From around here are used to that line but it"s looking real good for the hang next week if it stays around.

monkeynono
01-20-2016, 20:25
Im hoping for lots of snow!!!!

The Tree Frog
01-20-2016, 21:49
Im hoping for lots of snow!!!!

Cecily Tynan just said 12 to 18 inches in the Philly South Jersey area. Winds to 40 miles per hour Saturday. It will be warmer next week so it will melt, then we can deal with flooded roads. Sounds like fun!

monkeynono
01-20-2016, 22:07
Cecily Tynan just said 12 to 18 inches in the Philly South Jersey area. Winds to 40 miles per hour Saturday. It will be warmer next week so it will melt, then we can deal with flooded roads. Sounds like fun!

Boo, I don't want to stand in mud again this year.

SilvrSurfr
01-20-2016, 22:19
Looks like I should invest in some Wellington boots for this year's hang. I didn't enjoy the mud last year either.

Ratdog
01-21-2016, 12:08
Looks like I should invest in some Wellington boots for this year's hang. I didn't enjoy the mud last year either.

With Wellies, you gotta rock the yellow like Paddington!

Mud Camping ain't all bad

Could be worse

These guys did it.
http://www.outofregs.com/postImages/1379269882.jpg

Ratdog
01-22-2016, 14:11
Just completed my Reserve America request for Pre-Registration Information.

Under equipment the only option is Tent, so naturally I left it blank. Will have to drop an email and ask them to add hammocks and tarps. :cool:

georgecarr
01-22-2016, 15:19
Just completed my Reserve America request for Pre-Registration Information.

Under equipment the only option is Tent, so naturally I left it blank. Will have to drop an email and ask them to add hammocks and tarps. :cool:

Ha! I just checked tent, figured it didn't matter.

monkeynono
01-22-2016, 17:32
I've never check the box, but if your contacting them tell them to also add bacon. Cause as far as I'm concerned it's equipment.

Ratdog
01-22-2016, 17:49
Ha! I just checked tent, figured it didn't matter.
I was about to do the same but just couldn't ...haha

I've never check the box, but if your contacting them tell them to also add bacon. Cause as far as I'm concerned it's equipment.

Amen !! :lol:

Might be fun to take a run out to camp on Sunday.

The Tree Frog
01-22-2016, 22:06
If we pre register online, can we skip checking in upon arrival?

Are we required to fill out the pre register?

Ratdog
01-23-2016, 00:54
If we pre register online, can we skip checking in upon arrival?

Are we required to fill out the pre register?

Nope, half the time the pre-reg info isn't in the computer when they check.
Besides, the staff still has to read you the daily fire regs every time.

We'll see if they let us to a one and done pickup but I doubt it.

fallkniven
01-23-2016, 09:26
do I have to do something? Usually I just reserve the site, then one person ( Karl ) would go get the paperwork the day of....

Dylan
01-23-2016, 11:27
In the past when we did this, we all had to email our reservation confirmations to the person picking up all of the permits. Also, I think Karl would ask to do this at the office ahead of time.

njsurfer
01-23-2016, 15:42
Dont want to get too excited with this being a week away, but this is what the Canadian model thinks will be happening next Friday...this would dump 12"+ on Batona

Dylan
01-23-2016, 16:10
Dont want to get too excited with this being a week away, but this is what the Canadian model thinks will be happening next Friday...this would dump 12"+ on Batona

Which Canadian model (http://www.realstylenetwork.com/beauty/2013/01/top-10-canadian-models/), and what does she know about weather?

JollyGreen
01-23-2016, 17:30
Is there a physical address or GPS coordinates? Been there before but coming from a different direction.

SilvrSurfr
01-23-2016, 17:37
Is there a physical address or GPS coordinates? Been there before but coming from a different direction.

Carranza Memorial is right across from the turnoff.

http://binged.it/1QllBMO

Ratdog
01-23-2016, 18:27
do I have to do something? Usually I just reserve the site, then one person ( Karl ) would go get the paperwork the day of....
That's the way it used to be... but I think he mentioned last year that we wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

In the past when we did this, we all had to email our reservation confirmations to the person picking up all of the permits. Also, I think Karl would ask to do this at the office ahead of time.

Yep, haven't heard from Karl so I'm not going to volunteer him to do the same thing this year. There is a way to alter the reservation to specify "occupant" and perhaps if we all specify the same person, said person could in fact make the pickup.

The Batsto Office knows the deal and knows we are all camping there that weekend. I really don't anticipate any issues with paperwork. Worst case is everyone emails their reservation to someone and we print them all out.

SilvrSurfr
01-23-2016, 21:33

I suspect there's a joke here that's just too subtle for us mere mortals to figure out. I've heard of the European model and the American model, but never heard anything about a Canadian model.

Let's hope the Canadian model is accurate, 'cause the other models don't see much chance of precipitation!

njsurfer
01-23-2016, 21:45
No joke, it's the GEM model. Global Enviromenal Multiscale Model, developed by the Canadian Meteorological Centre. It's the only one showing a solution of a storm that impacts our area though, the other 4 major models show it out to sea...so don't get your hopes too high yet.

SilvrSurfr
01-23-2016, 22:07
No joke, it's the GEM model. Global Enviromenal Multiscale Model, developed by the Canadian Meteorological Centre. It's the only one showing a solution of a storm that impacts our area though, the other 4 major models show it out to sea...so don't get your hopes too high yet.

Let's hope the other models get in line with the Canadian model!

Uphill
01-23-2016, 22:08
I'm all for a snowy hang, I just want to be sure it isn't going to hinder my travel up to the pines from Washington DC.

SilvrSurfr
01-23-2016, 22:15
I'm all for a snowy hang, I just want to be sure it isn't going to hinder my travel up to the pines from Washington DC.

They plow the roads pretty good up to the last 1/2 mile.

Worst case - you park the car at Carranza Memorial and walk the last 1/2 mile.

silentorpheus
01-23-2016, 22:16
Just don't be the first one into camp, and drive in the tracks those that came before you made. :shades:

SilvrSurfr
01-23-2016, 22:27
Just don't be the first one into camp, and drive in the tracks those that came before you made. :shades:

Unless those tracks were made by Lazy River Road!:lol:

Diana
01-23-2016, 22:47
Chris and I plan on arriving there late friday night...maybe around 8pm..

monkeynono
01-24-2016, 08:59
I will be there early Friday and can shuttle people if necessary.

Iafte
01-25-2016, 10:35
Steve will be out there Thursday night, he will be around camp on Friday but has to leave in the afternoon for a few hours of work. I will be stopping down Thursday to drop a few things off and be back Friday night around 9.

I just found out on Friday that this Sunday I have to hop a flight to Puerto Rico at 6pm. Fun fun.

fallkniven
01-25-2016, 14:43
I'm going to grab some pork roll and slice it all up on my little meat slicer today. Is firewood covered? Can we get a tree guy to deliver some right to the camp?

Dylan
01-25-2016, 21:33
There is a chance that I won't be able to make it to the hang this year (pregnant sister-in-law may have C-section this week and we have to go to PA). I have site #4 reserved. Does it make sense to transfer the reservation to someone else, just in case? Or does it really matter? I'm not too worried if I don't get reimbursed.

Ratdog
01-25-2016, 21:47
There is a chance that I won't be able to make it to the hang this year (pregnant sister-in-law may have C-section this week and we have to go to PA). I have site #4 reserved. Does it make sense to transfer the reservation to someone else, just in case? Or does it really matter? I'm not too worried if I don't get reimbursed.
First, congrats to the Sis-in-law and on the new baby arriving. :cool:

Probably best to xfer it to another NJ resident just in case. That way there is the option for someone to grab it.

Likely it won't matter as we have the whole place locked up and all visitors are welcome anyway, but just to cover bases, might as well ask for a volunteer.

You actually don't have to xfer it, just list the other person's name as Primary Occupant along with their email address. That will be enough for the folks at the office.

jhunt87
01-26-2016, 01:05
I'm late to the thread, but I will be joining you guys again this year.

I plan on heading down on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I was out there a few hours ago. Here are some photos. I put the first set of tire tracks around the campground loop. It was deep enough that you could see the impression of my gas tank behind me.

silentorpheus
01-26-2016, 08:00
I'm late to the thread, but I will be joining you guys again this year.

I plan on heading down on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I was out there a few hours ago. Here are some photos. I put the first set of tire tracks around the campground loop. It was deep enough that you could see the impression of my gas tank behind me.

I was wondering if you were still around and would pop in, as I hadn't seen you on the sheet or post in the thread. It'll be good to see you, and if the snow stays like that your jeep might come in handy. :shades:

ostrrich
01-26-2016, 09:42
This will be our first Hammock outing, although my son and I are experienced tent Campers. Thanks for the invite Mike. Still deciding if we want to head down Friday evening or Saturday morning. The whole, setting up your first hammock in the dark thing and all. But knowing us, we'll be there Friday evening.

njsurfer
01-26-2016, 09:49
This will be our first Hammock outing, although my son and I are experienced tent Campers. Thanks for the invite Mike. Still deciding if we want to head down Friday evening or Saturday morning. The whole, setting up your first hammock in the dark thing and all. But knowing us, we'll be there Friday evening.

If this is your first time hanging keep in mind temps are forecast to be in the mid to low teens friday night but only 32 on saturday night. Its car camping so obviously you can bring overkill insulation with you, but be prepared for that.

mychal
01-26-2016, 09:54
If this is your first time hanging keep in mind temps are forecast to be in the mid to low teens friday night but only 32 on saturday night. Its car camping so obviously you can bring overkill insulation with you, but be prepared for that.
I gave them a zero degree and a 20 UGQ Zep. I'm also bringing some additional UQs to help them supplement if that 20 deg is insufficient. They've got warm bags for top.

njsurfer
01-26-2016, 10:01
I gave them a zero degree and a 20 UGQ Zep. I'm also bringing some additional UQs to help them supplement if that 20 deg is insufficient. They've got warm bags for top.

They will be toasty then! Just trying to help steer new hangers in the right direction in case they overlooked something. If they have you helping them they will be in good hands surely.

njsurfer
01-26-2016, 10:05
Just a question, Im 99% sure Ill be there saturday night but Im still waiting for my mother in law to confirm she will be able to have my kids over that night. Do I need to sign up on the spreadsheet as a tentative or just wait until Im sure? Not sure how much official notice you need or if I can just show up. I will be bringing a meal and hanging out Saturday even that 1% chance I cant stay materializes.

Ratdog
01-26-2016, 10:12
No worries njsurfer. We're past the stage of how many and into the home stretch of, am I Packed yet? :cool:

Thx JHunt87, saved me a trip today. Thinking a couple of us should do some loops around the camp to make driving a little easier for the cars. We'll be getting some rain that should knock down some of that snow as well, freeze it all up and get it nice and icey. :scared: :lol:

silentorpheus
01-26-2016, 10:16
Just a question, Im 99% sure Ill be there saturday night but Im still waiting for my mother in law to confirm she will be able to have my kids over that night. Do I need to sign up on the spreadsheet as a tentative or just wait until Im sure? Not sure how much official notice you need or if I can just show up. I will be bringing a meal and hanging out Saturday even that 1% chance I cant stay materializes.

Just show up.

Since we book out the entire camp, and then pretty much set up wherever we like that we can find trees, there's really no need for the spreadsheet other than the fact that we've now all gotten in the habit of doing one, and SS is unable to resist creating superfluous columns and the like. :shades: The NJ Winter Hang happened for many years without one - everyone just showed up, brought something tasty to share (or not, no judgement either way), and had a good time. Friday night dinner, lunches, and breakfasts have always been a free for all (bring your own, bring something to share, whatever floats your boat), and the Saturday night dinner has always been the big potluck production. The organizers (Iafte, Stick, etc.) have always made sure we have plenty of firewood to keep warm, and all are welcome.

Once a year, it's nice to have a giant mess of a hang that doesn't need to be mapped out completely - just come when you can, bring what you can, and there will be plenty of people to assist with whatever is needed.

njsurfer
01-26-2016, 10:26
With that deep snowpack and melt and refreeze I predict a few stuck 2wd cars and trucks. That should spice things up. Is there a contest to see who can get stuck the worst?

GreatBigDave
01-26-2016, 10:46
I am out. I am also bummed.
My better half dislocated her shoulder and I would not have fun if I left her alone. (it's really all about me).
I have Site 3 reserved and I'm happy to donate it to the cause. I have not yet performed the pre-registration ritual.
Can I just assign a new primary occupant and vehicle information when I pre-register or do I need to transfer the reservation?
Any NJ resident (with ReserveAmerica account if necessary) who wants to be the official resident of Site 3?

mychal
01-26-2016, 10:49
With that deep snowpack and melt and refreeze I predict a few stuck 2wd cars and trucks. That should spice things up. Is there a contest to see who can get stuck the worst?
I'm gonna be the worst. I have a 2WD Yukon XL. I couldn't justify the extra 5 or 10 grand if I was gonna be in this situation once or twice a year.

Ratdog
01-26-2016, 10:54
I am out. I am also bummed.
My better half dislocated her shoulder and I would not have fun if I left her alone. (it's really all about me).
I have Site 3 reserved and I'm happy to donate it to the cause. I have not yet performed the pre-registration ritual.
Can I just assign a new primary occupant and vehicle information when I pre-register or do I need to transfer the reservation?
Any NJ resident (with ReserveAmerica account if necessary) who wants to be the official resident of Site 3?

If you login to your ReserverAmerica.com account, you can specify a Primary Occupant for the site. That person can pickup the paperwork. Don't sweat the vehicle details. The new Primary Occupant must be a NJ resident and present a valid NJ Drivers License at registration. The Park Office is aware we are having a gathering and realizes we will have a bunch of vehicles. As long as the Ranger can drive the loop, they're not concerned.

Black Foot
01-26-2016, 10:58
…Thinking a couple of us should do some loops around the camp to make driving a little easier for the cars. We'll be getting some rain that should knock down some of that snow as well, freeze it all up and get it nice and icey. :scared: :lol:

In your opinion - should I attempt driving down with my FWD Ford Edge or park by the Memorial and use a sled to ferry gear down? We could always bring the AWD Highlander but it has so many miles on it I hate to drive it very far

…it’s nice to have a giant mess of a hang that doesn't need to be mapped out completely

Yes!, or as Dutch said “it’s the Grateful Dead show of hangs” :shades:

so looking forward to this ...in need some serious hammock time

GreatBigDave
01-26-2016, 11:19
... specify a Primary Occupant for the site. That person can pickup the paperwork... The new Primary Occupant must be a NJ resident and present a valid NJ Drivers License at registration...

Any NJ resident who can collect the permit, please PM me your name and it's yours.

...as Dutch said “it’s the Grateful Dead show of hangs” :shades:

so looking forward to this ...in need some serious hammock timeI loved Dead shows! I am so bummed to miss this.

Ratdog
01-26-2016, 11:29
In your opinion - should I attempt driving down with my FWD Ford Edge or park by the Memorial and use a sled to ferry gear down? We could always bring the AWD Highlander but it has so many miles on it I hate to drive it very far

Highlander? Those things run forever.

You'll be fine w/ the Ford Edge. Worst case, we bust out a tow strap and pull you through whatever. I really expect much of the snow to be knocked down by the weekend with the rain headed our way and the warmer temps at the end of the week.

If folks do want to park at the memorial, we can shuttle gear in w/ some trucks but I don't think it'll be necessary, but it is absolutely an option.

silentorpheus
01-26-2016, 11:51
Yes!, or as Dutch said “it’s the Grateful Dead show of hangs” :shades:

so looking forward to this ...in need some serious hammock time

As much as I love obsessing over spreadsheets and budgets for our elaborate hangs, I always look forward to the controlled chaos that is the NJ Winter Hang. :laugh: We can rest assured that Iafte and crew have covered the basics, and that there are always enough able bodied folk willing to lend a hand that whatever people forgot or overlooked, will be taken care of.

I'm also really in need of some hammock time. And I missed last year, as well as Stick's impromptu visit at Thanksgiving, so it's been far too long since I've seen many of the regular crew. Looking forward to seeing everyone, old and new.

Now I just need to start packing, and figure out what food I'm going to bring ...

monkeynono
01-26-2016, 11:58
I'm gonna be the worst. I have a 2WD Yukon XL. I couldn't justify the extra 5 or 10 grand if I was gonna be in this situation once or twice a year.

I disagree, you should be fine you have a lot of weight over the rear axle. Just slow, consistent throttle. I have two straps worst case.

Uphill
01-26-2016, 12:46

I'll have extra UQs, and an extra 30 degree TQ up for grabs if anyone needs. I'll be hanging under a WL Bullfrog with the 2qZq pole mod in a Sheltowee Boone hammock.

I sure do hope that snow stays on the ground. I'll probably park at the Carranza memory Friday afternoon.

Black Foot
01-26-2016, 14:25

Campfire from 2015 (photo courtesy of Suede)

JollyGreen
01-26-2016, 14:56
Thinking about getting there Thursday, anyone else?

fallkniven
01-26-2016, 16:45
As much as I love obsessing over spreadsheets and budgets for our elaborate hangs, I always look forward to the controlled chaos that is the NJ Winter Hang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k