PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Ras70
10-15-2015, 15:46
Hello,
I am brand new to the forum and relatively new to hammock camping. I have been backpacking for 7 years, but I have always tent camped. Because of reading the forum and you tube, I made the leap of faith into hammock hanging. Since I am incapable of doing anything in moderation, I immediately went online and bought a Dream Hammock Thunderbird, a HG Cuben Fiber tarp, UGQ Zeppelin top, and under-quilts, and accessories and ridgelines from Dutchwear. After a sizable investment, I feel like I am ready to go! I have hung outside in the backyard, and on one overnight with my boys, who have inherited my tent. I have done quite a bit of research, but I am by no means an expert. I've saved pounds in pack weight, and I am significantly more comfortable in the hammock. My primary reason for joining is to learn some tips, get some advice from like-minded folks, and perhaps even find some opportunities to do some group hammock hangs.

gunner76
10-15-2015, 15:47
welcome to the madness

Shug
10-15-2015, 16:02
Welcome to the Hammock Quest....here are some help-ish threads.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/34563-Hint-for-the-New-Folks-on-Here-quot-Stickys-quot and....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/61443-Quick-start-tips
Carry forth.
Shug

Spurr
10-15-2015, 16:09
Hey man, got my start here and welcome. In here you can take it is far as you want with the all the available knowledge.

Slider1
10-15-2015, 18:23
It looks like you go to the head of the class on gear. What a way to start. I know what you mean about all that backpacking and ground sleeping. What a difference. My thought was 'Where have I been?' The Hf is a fantastic place with awesome people. It is definitely one stop shopping, so to speak. Welcome and have a great time with your kids! :thumbup:

JmBoh
10-15-2015, 19:34
Welcome!!! I'm kinda like you. A long time tent camper recently discovering hammocks. My back loves it. I've only been here in the forums a couple weeks but have learned a great deal! Have fun and enjoy your new gear!!!