PDA

View Full Version : Speer Winter Tarp Owners....

Shug
11-04-2009, 21:26
Speer Winter Tarp Owners ...... did you seam seal it?
Thankee,
Shug
I like this tarp......

JerryW
11-04-2009, 23:22
No need Shug. It's already done by Speer. It's hard to see, but if you hang it up and get the light just right you can see the sealer. It's very well done.

Jerry

Heber
11-04-2009, 23:43
When I bought mine they gave the option of seam sealed or not seam sealed. I got mine seam sealed. My 8x10 tarp wasn't seam sealed and very occasionally (during REALLY hard rains) I got a little leakage. Only a tiny bit but for $7 (which is what they were charging at the time) I figured "what the heck". Also this is the tarp I would take if I were expecting severe weather so this is the one I would worry most about.

It's actually pretty easy to see the sealing, like a line of clear silicone calk. It's a bit tacky to the touch also, like any calk would be.

Hangin'Yankee
11-05-2009, 00:37
Speer Winter Tarp Owners ...... did you seam seal it?
Thankee,
Shug
I like this tarp......

No seam seal for me. You have good reason to like it. :D You gettin' out anytime soon?

Randy

Ken
11-05-2009, 05:55
Didn't seal mine Shug. Like Jerry, I didn't really see any sealer, but the paperwork said it was sealed. Didn't leak last Tuesday either!

Ken

Take-a-knee
11-05-2009, 06:18
Ed Speer uses a spray seam sealer, it isn't permanent I understand. I sealed mine with Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant and a flux brush.

MacEntyre
11-05-2009, 06:50
I did not seam seal mine.

Wish I had brought it to Linville... would have been more comfy in the rain, with more room that is dry!

- MacEntyre

Barry
11-05-2009, 07:07
No sealer here - only leaks have been down the ridgeline I have running under the tarp - great tarp for windy rain/snow protection.

Ekul
11-05-2009, 09:07
Bought mine a month ago and came already sealed. No leaks but havent hung in a downpour yet.

Cannibal
11-05-2009, 09:36
I seal everything, so yeah, I sealed it.

Shug
11-05-2009, 09:49
Thanks everybody!
Shug
Found this on his site .....
All of our SilNylon Tarps have been seam sealed with liquid silicone which dries clear (invisible) and lasts for about one year or 10 rains. Maintain your entire silnylon tarp with yearly treatments of spray silicone (Wal-Mart, $5). You can also use silicone-based seam sealant to permanently seal the seams.
I may seal at a later date.......

MedicineMan
11-07-2009, 18:02
sealed from Speers and sealed again by me :)
once on the north rim of the GC at about the time the down had sloooooowwwly adbsord enough water for me to feel the cold and the wet, i looked up and watched a drip..actually counted them, about a drip every 40 seconds...one little drip over several hours...so sometimes I seal seal the seam seal :)

deadeye
11-08-2009, 09:54
don't recall if mine was sealed by Ed or not, but I sealed it with silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits. No leaks. Great tarp - I sewed some velcro strips on the beaks so I can roll them up & stow them in fair weather.

Mr.hammockcamper
07-24-2019, 14:56
Gonna start this thread back up. Just bought a Speer off the FS forum and the previous owner said it needed to be re-seam sealed. I have the permatex flowable silicone, do I just seal the panel pullouts? Should I also do the ridge line? Also, how do you Speer owners setup your tarp, as in what do you use for the ridge line, tie outs, and panel pulls?
Finally, couldn’t seem to find out what material it is made out of. So does the tarp tend to stretch and sag and does it soak up water?

Shug
07-24-2019, 16:12
Gonna start this thread back up. Just bought a Speer off the FS forum and the previous owner said it needed to be re-seam sealed. I have the permatex flowable silicone, do I just seal the panel pullouts? Should I also do the ridge line? Also, how do you Speer owners setup your tarp, as in what do you use for the ridge line, tie outs, and panel pulls?
Finally, couldn’t seem to find out what material it is made out of. So does the tarp tend to stretch and sag and does it soak up water?
Mine was silnylon. If I where you I would for sure re-seam seal the ridgeline. That is the one place you do not wan't a leak.
Use any good sealer made for silnylon.
It will sag when wet a wee bit as that is the nature of silnylon.
I rig two separate lines of the ridgleline D-rings as that is my preferred way.
My Tarp Tutorials.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLahaAdtfX9ZK1k8bDbsr4JzQgQ_iyB2RU

Shug