PDA

View Full Version : Packaging Foam

oldgringo
11-05-2009, 18:47
I got some stuff today that came wrapped in a very thin (<1/8"), flexible, ccf.

I'm not sure how/where I'm gonna use this, but it certainly has possibilities.

Seems like I've seen this before, used to wrap electronic components.

Has anyone used this in a hammock?

Perkolady
11-06-2009, 13:24
I have. Several years ago, I sewed on another layer onto my HH Scout, and then inserted this packing foam in between the layers. I tried it out in fairly cold temps too.

Unfortunately, I really had bad condensation issues and even my top quilt ended up pretty damp in spots. I normally don't get condensation with other ccf pads, so I don't really know why this happened. :confused:

CajunHiker
11-06-2009, 13:46
I've got some underlayment from when I put down some wood floors that sounds like what you describe. I've actually got a piece cut but have yet to use it. Whitish on one side, black film on the other.

vitamaltz
11-06-2009, 14:28
It's great stuff! It hardly weighs anything and is really warm. Do a thread search for "microfoam neat sheet" for an old discussion about it. It's available for free from many sources. Lately I've been getting lots of it from the local motorcycle dealer. Helmets come shipped in a microfoam bag. I'm bringing one to MAHHA as a footbox liner, but I doubt it'll get cold enough for it - it really reflects the heat well.

In the summertime, a multi-layer sandwich of neat sheet and microfoam as my underquilt weighs 8 ounces and takes me easily to 45-50 degrees. In the wintertime, it's lower leg insulation.

Have fun with it and let us know what you end up doing with it.

Ken
11-06-2009, 14:33
Here's that thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8239&highlight=deere

I've experimented with it also. Works well into the low 50s and upper 40s as Vitamaltz said. Below that would probably take enough of it to get pretty bulky. Still very light weight though.

Ken

Pitch
11-06-2009, 14:35
I have limited hammock experience but would like to know more about this material - can you possibly put up a pic oldgringo?

X

oldgringo
11-06-2009, 16:18
I have limited hammock experience but would like to know more about this material - can you possibly put up a pic oldgringo?

X

Some day, y'all are going to drag me, kicking and screaming, into this century, and I'll get a camera. Today is not that day.:laugh:

It's white, ultra thin ccf. No way it can compete with GG and the like, but it weighs nothing, and can be wadded up and stuffed. I can see using it in the summer, when just a little bit is all that's needed.

And it's free.:boggle:

oldgringo
11-06-2009, 16:33
I found this in the thread Ken linked. Looks like what I've got.

http://www.bubbleandfoampackaging.com/index.php?cPath=31

vitamaltz
11-06-2009, 16:55
I think the neat sheet helps avoid the condensation Perkolady was talking about. It seems to hold the foam just far enough away from my back that I don't have that problem.