Ooh La La! Thanks Jacks.

swampfox
11-06-2009, 20:11
RATS!
I thought this was a For Sale Thread!:(

StumpJumper
11-06-2009, 20:19
Ooh La La! Thanks Jacks.

I just picked up a HR a well. I was absolutely blown away by the quality.

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd as an UQ. Did you find that your hammock compresses the down in any spots?

sulman
11-06-2009, 20:24
...Did you find that your hammock compresses the down in any spots?

None detected visually. I'll use it for the first time tonight. 40 right now, headed for low 30's. I'll let you know.

sulman
11-07-2009, 11:16
Used the Hudson River as UQ with my Hyperlite last night. Wearing skivvies (shorts and tee), wool beanie and no socks, I was toastie warm. I had a 30 degree Marmot Arroyo bag in quilt mode on top and no tarp. Temp outside the hammock was 37 when I climbed in and 34 when I woke up this morning. There was an occasional light breeze.

I had complete head-to-toe coverage underneath with no cold spots whatsoever. Slept straight through the night with no adjustments necessary. I believe the Hudson River on the bottom was delivering more warmth than the Arroyo on the top.

I'm fairly confident the Hudson River will meet JRB's stated 25-30 degree rating and with just a bit of insulative clothing, probably lower.

I consider myself a normal-to-slightly warm sleeper. Born/raised in northern Michigan and lived in Alaska for 10 years. YMMV.

Shug
11-07-2009, 11:25
Yeah Man!!!!!!!!!!! Toasty bottom means less needed on top.
Shug

sulman
11-07-2009, 11:33
Shug

Yeah Shug, I'm almost wondering if I can get by with something like the Shenandoah/Stealth up top with the HR underneath for milder (30's) temps.

StumpJumper
11-08-2009, 19:05
Shug

Shug, you ever have any compression or coverage issues with the WBBB footbox and the full length UQ? You seem to be one of the folks who goes back and forth between the full and the 2/3 UQ's. Wondering about the Hudson with a BB specifically though.

sulman
11-08-2009, 19:09
Shug, you ever have any compression or coverage issues with the WBBB footbox and the full length UQ? You seem to be one of the folks who goes back and forth between the full and the 2/3 UQ's. Wondering about the Hudson with a BB specifically though.

FWIW, I also have a BB and had the Hudson L as UQ last night. Great coverage and no compression of footbox that I noticed. I'm rather tall and use every inch of the footbox.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/sulmaniac/BB.jpg

eagleJ
11-08-2009, 19:50
Great pics I'm thinking of getting the HR as a UQ for a HH Explorer any trouble using the bottom slit entry.

sulman
11-08-2009, 19:58
Great pics I'm thinking of getting the HR as a UQ for a HH Explorer any trouble using the bottom slit entry.

Man you guys are in luck, I've got 'em all. I'll be in the Explorer UL tonight. I see no probs with the bottom entry and Hudson River. Just need to remember it is there and nudge it to the right when you exit.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/sulmaniac/explorer.jpg

eagleJ
11-08-2009, 20:07
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pull the tigger and buy a UQ soon. So many choices it's hard to decide. Full length or 3/4, winter or 3 season?

StumpJumper
11-08-2009, 22:28
FWIW, I also have a BB and had the Hudson L as UQ last night. Great coverage and no compression of footbox that I noticed. I'm rather tall and use every inch of the footbox.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/sulmaniac/BB.jpg

Great to hear. If you have any other angles of it on the BB, I'd love to see those. Are you able to snug up the HR ends so cold air doesn enter? Also did you loop the cord over the BB footbox?

Thanks for the feedback

sulman
11-09-2009, 10:46
Great to hear. If you have any other angles of it on the BB, I'd love to see those. Are you able to snug up the HR ends so cold air doesn enter? Also did you loop the cord over the BB footbox?

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah, sorry for those cheesy iphone pics.

No problem snugging up the UQ ends, especially with the long (tall) version HR. I slept barefoot in my bag's footbox in the 30's. Winds were light though.

I'm not following your "loop the cord" reference. I just used Jacks' standard suspension with the bungee/4 mini-caribiners. I stretched Brandon's white shock cord tie outs straight through his ring and up to the HR side loops on both sides to open the interior. You can see one of these in the photo. I might omit that step at lower temps/windier conditions.

All in all, I found the setup was GREAT.