PDA

View Full Version : NEW KAQ "Lost River"

pgibson
11-09-2009, 16:49
Lost River 2/3rd Under Quilt, the first AHE designed KAQ. And one of the most affordable UQ options on the market today:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_a1oM4gV1bv4/SbShS9O6tRI/AAAAAAAAB1A/R151KNLlibo/s400/lost_river_range_idaho-1024x768.jpg

The Lost River ends. I don't mean it drains into another river, lake or the ocean, it ends. Feed by streams from high mountain lakes and Idaho's only remaining glacier the Lost River winds it's way out of the rouged mountains of central Idaho and into the desert and then ends. One minute a thriving small river winding thorough the valley the next it's gone. Seeping away into the soft soil of the desert.

In much the same way the Lost River KAQ ends short, the first fractional length KAQ at 44" wide x 48" long, with a layer of 6 oz Climashield. The Lost River is cut wider than most fractional under-quilts available on the market today so that is has less fiddle factor, and is less likely to slip to the side during the night, waking you up to adjust the quilt back into place. Based off the New River but with a weight saving 2/3rd length it also compresses to a much smaller size than the NR. Weighing in at just over 1 pound the LR is the lightest and smallest of the KAQ line of synthetic quilts. With 2 inches of loft, good into the mid 30's, plan on using the LR from spring on into fall.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2486/4091081544_29ebecc8e4.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2660/4090317019_782aa15beb.jpg

Weight: (approximately) 1 Pound 1 Oz.
Includes: Full adjustable suspension, Sil Stuff Sack
Available Currently In: MARPAT Camo with Black Liner, Reversible.

Price: $125.00

Available only at Arrowhead Equipment :cool:

sulman
11-09-2009, 16:56
That's what I've been waiting for! Ordered.

pgibson
11-09-2009, 16:58
I also have a test/sample version of the Lost River available at a discount: $100.00 shipped to the first person to use the contact us page on my site to get me a paypal email will get it shipped by tomorrow. Same at the production version but a little smaller at 40 wide x 44 long. Good luck. Sold Thanks PG

Paul

vitamaltz
11-09-2009, 16:59
Is 6 oz. Climashield a special wholesale product? I didn't know it got thicker than 5 oz. Looks like a great quilt!

pgibson
11-09-2009, 17:01
Is 6 oz. Climashield a special wholesale product? I didn't know it got thicker than 5 oz. Looks like a great quilt!

Nope not special but I have a source for it and like to think I am special my self, my wife says I should have a bus all to my self. :)

pgibson
11-09-2009, 17:03
That's gotta be me.

Can do it's yours. Stand by for PM.

angrysparrow
11-09-2009, 17:06
C'mon...an announcement like this requires pics!

sulman
11-09-2009, 17:08
Can do it's yours. Stand by for PM.

I'm too fast. I already ordered your standard. Please see my PM.

pgibson
11-09-2009, 17:21
Ok just got off the phone with Sulman and the test one is still available to the next to PM me, (BTW it is 15.5 oz) as it seams my website host just crashed and I can't even log in. :( great timing there. :(

Give me a minute and I will post the pics from the site into my original post.

Paul

sulman
11-09-2009, 17:24
...my website host just crashed and I can't even log in. :( great timing there. :(

Paul

No doubt the crash was due to the overwhelming demand.:scared::scared:

pgibson
11-09-2009, 17:30
No doubt the crash was due to the overwhelming demand.:scared::scared:

You were one to many, it just snapped. :lol:

pgibson
11-09-2009, 20:40
Test one had been claimed! Thanks all. These are going quick but we are pretty on top of orders right now so most orders will ship within a day or two at the most.

Paul

pgibson
11-11-2009, 12:37
Ok everyone, my site host came up with some sort of story about a fiber optic cable being cut yesterday but it looks like things are back up and running now on my end.

If somebody could let me know if you can't access AHE that would be helpful.

Also my wife finally thinks we are getting closer to popping out baby number 3 so we are trying stay caught up on orders but I will let everyone know when we will be at reduced production. The hospital is 60 miles down the freeway from us so for a day or two we will come to almost a stop on production. But I will be working hard to minimize any delay on orders as much as possible.

Thanks for all the orders everyone, and on a side note it looks like we should have the super light carabiners in stock in the next week or so. I will update when they become available.

Paul

Coldspring
11-11-2009, 12:42
Does this UQ have a hammock fitting shape, or is it just a rectangle? Does it have a suspension that goes down the entire side, or just attached at four corners?

sulman
11-11-2009, 12:44
...we will come to almost a stop on production.l

On the contrary Paul. At baby number three, I'd say production is humming right along. :rolleyes:

Thanks for getting mine sent off and Best Wishes!

pgibson
11-11-2009, 12:47
Does this UQ have a hammock fitting shape, or is it just a rectangle? Does it have a suspension that goes down the entire side, or just attached at four corners?

It is a rectangle much like the other fractional UQ's on the market, Not wanting to duplicate somebody elses desighn ;) the suspension dose not run through the sides of the quilt but is attached at the four corners. The suspension is adjustable to account for different hammock designs and lengths. Also being a rectangle makes it reversible end for end and inside to out. So if you want the black out rather than the MARPAT camo you can do that. Or if you put it on a hammock like the switch back you can turn end for end and not need to re hang the UQ.

Paul

pgibson
11-11-2009, 12:49
On the contrary Paul. At baby number three, I'd say production is humming right along. :rolleyes:

Thanks for getting mine sent off and Best Wishes!

:lol: Gear production, Sulman, gear production :lol: Baby production will be a total stop, 3 is the limit for me. :lol:

Hooch
11-11-2009, 12:50
The woodland MARPAT camo on that is right sharp, Paul. The Marine in me likes it. :D

pgibson
11-11-2009, 12:54
Good, grab one while you can, my supply of the MARPAT is drying up and I am not sure how much longer I may be able to offer it as an option. I do have it in small pieces to make up pillows and the like but for now what little bit I have big enough will be making a few more quilts then it is gone till I find another source.

cavscout
11-11-2009, 14:12
Hey! Is the New River available in MarPat?

pgibson
11-11-2009, 14:14
Hey! Is the New River available in MarPat?

Unfortunately no, I have a very limited amount of fabric and the width is not quite adequate enough to fit the New Rivers footprint. Sorry.

pgibson
11-11-2009, 14:25
Of corse if I can find a new source for MARPAT 1.1 then that all changes. And I will happily offer any and all gear in as many patterns and colors as I can. I have one place actively searching for it for me, but as the current mayor campaigns are in desert environments, that is the main pattern being made, at least that is one of my suppliers reasoning. The supplier that I have been getting it from is not been helpful or timely with my orders. My last order for 18 yards took 3 weeks to get to me and only after I called and called and emailed and called again to see what the delay in shipping the order was, they said O yah, UUUH we will get that out today, then after more calls to get the tracking number they said O uuhh yah we will get that out today. This went on for several days before they finally shipped the order.

So I am looking for more, and hope to get it more broadly available for AHE gear.

If any body knows of a good source let me know. :)

cavscout
11-11-2009, 14:33
No worrys! I'm expecting a New River under the tree this year and wanted to include that little detail in my letter to Santa if it was an currently available :)

I've played that shipping game with my suppliers in the UK. It sucks when they appear to be going out of their way to keep you from buying from them. I showed them though, I really did stop buying from them :D I'm small potatoes to them, but it made me feel better :D

pgibson
11-11-2009, 14:43
Most of my suppliers have been great to work with, many of them going way above and beyond to get what I want (even if they normally don't have it) to me as quick as possible. but this one place has been a headache, both of my orders to them sat to the point of me having to get in touch and demand to know what the hold up was before they went ahead and shipped the order. I actually told them that if it was not in the mail I wanted a refund, they shipped it out that day, then emailed me saying, O it shipped but if you want a refund just ship it back and we could do it then.

I really want to keep offering MARPAT, it has been the most popular option on my gear, but I won't be ordering from them again. I have had some luck getting some camo's from other places, I do have the grey universal digital camo (I have heard it referred to as the army digital) in stock right now and will be adding it as an option on many products soon.

LyttleBryan
11-11-2009, 14:59
I can only hope these are still available next Spring...

pgibson
11-11-2009, 15:03
I can only hope these are still available next Spring...

The quilt will be for sure, it will be a standard item, but right now I think we have enough MARPAT for maybe 5-6 quilts, after that if I can't get a new source the MARPAT LR will be a collectors item.

salmonofdoubt
11-11-2009, 16:39
I know these are new to production, but has anyone given thought to using a "Lost River" and a "New River" UQ together for winter insulation. Tis the season and inquiring minds are interested since there are no synthetic winter quilt options that I've been able to find. Until I saw this I had been thinking about making my own 2/3 length synthetic UQ and using it in a similar fashion with the "New River" or other full length 3 season UQ.

pgibson
11-11-2009, 16:46
Sounds like a great plan to me :D

Really I think the two would compliment each other fairly well, throw the LR inside of the NR. Depending on your height the NR can really chinch in at the ends and raps the hammock up nice and snug. How low can you go? Would love to have it tested.

Paul

Take-a-knee
11-11-2009, 16:49
I know these are new to production, but has anyone given thought to using a "Lost River" and a "New River" UQ together for winter insulation. Tis the season and inquiring minds are interested since there are no synthetic winter quilt options that I've been able to find. Until I saw this I had been thinking about making my own 2/3 length synthetic UQ and using it in a similar fashion with the "New River" or other full length 3 season UQ.

That would be quite a bit of bulk. I'm thinking a New River combined with an SPE and a thermarest would/should be the non-down way to go. I think that Lost River may just be THE first UQ one should consider. Looks like lots of functionality, light weight and a great value to me.

salmonofdoubt
11-11-2009, 17:34
I think that Lost River may just be THE first UQ one should consider. Looks like lots of functionality, light weight and a great value to me.

This is most likely what I'll end up doing. As for packability, I'm not a backpacker (yet) and anything would be an improvement over my current DIY Coleman bag UQ which packed down is still the size of a 5-gallon bucket:scared:.

This is definitely going on my Christmas list:D.

pizza
11-11-2009, 18:40
Hey Paul, any plans to offer down versions of your under quilts?

gargoyle
11-11-2009, 18:57
Nice looking quilt, pg. Now I gotta get one.

optimator
11-11-2009, 19:18
Test one had been claimed! Thanks all. These are going quick but we are pretty on top of orders right now so most orders will ship within a day or two at the most.

Paul

That's mine! :D Is it in the MARPAT camo? I forgot to ask!

pgibson
11-11-2009, 20:30
Hey Paul, any plans to offer down versions of your under quilts?

Simple answer yes, more complex answer, not quite yet. I love down gear, but the best deal I have found yet on bulk down in the US wants me to order in 15 pound minimums. 1 thats a lot of down, two thats a lot of $$$$'s so it will be a little bit before we are quite up and running on down but I am planning a sewn through baffle version of all three quilts, hopefully for spring. I will eventually be offering a baffled version of these quilts and some other designs that are floating around in my head as well.

pgibson
11-11-2009, 20:31
That's mine! :D Is it in the MARPAT camo? I forgot to ask!

yes it is, and it left yesterday so you should have it probably by tomorrow.

optimator
11-13-2009, 23:25
It arrived today Paul! SWEET looking piece of gear! I was planning on using it this weekend. But as I was heading out the door at work today, my presence was requested for tomorrow:cursing:Guess I can't complain, at least I'm lucky to just be working AND getting some OT. That way I can keep sending you money:lol:

pgibson
11-13-2009, 23:32
UM Yah, we are going to need you to come in saturday,

http://aftergradavenues.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/office-space.jpg

Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...
:lol: :lol:

sulman
11-14-2009, 14:39
Received the Lost River today, Paul. Thanks. Looks like a great quilt.

Just 16.7 oz INCLUDING suspension (minus stuff sack). I'll give it a shakedown tomorrow night.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/sulmaniac/lostriver1.jpg

pgibson
11-14-2009, 14:47
Well it dose look good but it's meent to keep you butt warm not your truck! :lol: :D

Javaman
11-14-2009, 18:34
I have an "original" Potomac KAQ I bought from Take-A-Knee that I often combine with my HH SS. I've made a "sandwich" from two emergency blankets for my OCF pad, which goes between the hammock bottom and the SS. I then suspend the KAQ outside the SS. I have seen posted the technique of having the KAQ inside the SS but outboard of the emergency blanket/vapor barrier. The combination of SS and KAQ provides for some very comfortable sleeping well down into the 20's.

plowhorse
02-15-2010, 15:44
how are the temp ranges on the lost river? has anyone used it alone below 30? I have a synthetic yeti with 3 oz climashield that can comfortably get me to 40, need to find out what kind of range I can get out of 6 oz.

pgibson
02-15-2010, 18:51
I think the lowest I have heard back on the LR from any one was into the high 20's but would have to did to double check the email and make sure that was without anything else. I think Opitmator said he had his at 17 with an old thermarest in the pad pocket of his BB. Adding the IX upgrade should stretch the Climashield a good ways. I have been doing some thermal testing with IX and Climashield with some very good results. I have a new set of products that all I need now is a name and I will share some of my testing.

optimator
02-21-2010, 21:21
how are the temp ranges on the lost river? has anyone used it alone below 30? I have a synthetic yeti with 3 oz climashield that can comfortably get me to 40, need to find out what kind of range I can get out of 6 oz.

I had mine down to 14 with very little help. But.. YMMV :D
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12460

iggy
03-01-2010, 21:05
Here's my new Lost River with the IX upgrade in Iggy Green. Got to test it over the weekend, but temp only went down to 28 degrees. Kept me warm all night, hope to test it again before it warms up. Try and stop me for using it as a top quilt in the summer.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=266&pictureid=2389

ih8mice
03-01-2010, 22:18
I slept out this past week (temp right around 30 and 10 mph) with my lost river and got a bit of the chilled butt syndrome. The quilt may not have been adjusted just right though.

That IX upgrade sounds quite interesting. Is the additional layer detachable or sewn in?

iggy
03-02-2010, 09:16
I slept out this past week (temp right around 30 and 10 mph) with my lost river and got a bit of the chilled butt syndrome. The quilt may not have been adjusted just right though.

That IX upgrade sounds quite interesting. Is the additional layer detachable or sewn in?

The upgrade is sewn in and only added an extra 5-6 oz's. I didn't use a tarp and the wind was blowing pretty good (10mph) I had to make a few adjustments to seal off the ends, but once I did ,I was ok. Wanted to see how the
LR would do without wind protection, plus couldn't pass up the stars and moon!

I had a short piece of ccf pad up under my legs.

dblhmmck
03-02-2010, 11:34
The upgrade is sewn in and only added an extra 5-6 oz's

Really? I would have expected that it would add less than two ounces to the 2/3 quilt.

iggy
03-02-2010, 12:06
Really? I would have expected that it would add less than two ounces to the 2/3 quilt.

I made a mistake on that weight, Paul told me it would be near 3 oz's before he made it. I'll have to break out the scale and see what it came too. Thanks for catching that for me.

----Iggy---

bigfoot2
03-07-2010, 20:37
Hey, Paul,
What's the total weight of the LR with the InsulTex liner? By the way, thanks for such awesome and quick service with my last two orders!! Super service!!!!

BF:cool:

bdpalace
03-07-2010, 21:59
Hooked mine up today for a little afternoon siesta and all I can say is WOW!!!:woot: This is a great 3 season quilt and easy to adjust. I tied the end of the shock cord collar to my HH tie outs and it stayed put with little adjustment needed. Thanks again, Paul for such an awesome product!

pgibson
03-07-2010, 22:06
Hey, Paul,
What's the total weight of the LR with the InsulTex liner? By the way, thanks for such awesome and quick service with my last two orders!! Super service!!!!

I have one that is cut and waiting in the shop to get sewn together in the morning so I can get an exact weight on the Lost River sized peice of IX. But I weighed a New River sized one a while back that was just a bit over 4 oz. The Lost river should be about 2-3 oz.

Hooked mine up today for a little afternoon siesta and all I can say is WOW!!!:woot: This is a great 3 season quilt and easy to adjust. I tied the end of the shock cord collar to my HH tie outs and it stayed put with little adjustment needed. Thanks again, Paul for such an awesome product!

Glad you are liking it, looks good.

wou42
03-08-2010, 01:46
Is that mine Paul? I have to admit, I am getting pretty excited to try this thing out!

pgibson
03-08-2010, 09:51
Is that mine Paul? I have to admit, I am getting pretty excited to try this thing out!

Yes it is, there are 2 Lost Rivers on the table to get finished today, yours with an IX upgrade and another with out. Same fabric and all, so I can get a comparison in them by the end of the day for weight.

Ed Lobby
03-08-2010, 09:54
Just tested mine over the weekend. Great craftsmanship and easy to hang and adjust. Looking forward to taking it out on the trail in a couple of weeks.

wou42
03-08-2010, 18:50
Just got a message telling me mine is on it's way!! I can hardly wait. Thanks Paul!

Hobbit
04-20-2010, 04:48
What is stuffed size of this quilt?
I'm thinking of purchasing one for an upcomming week long hike and just trying to get an idea of how much room it will take up in my pack.

thanks

gargoyle
04-20-2010, 04:56
Hobbit, theres a pic of the quilt on page 1 of this thread.

bigfoot2
04-23-2010, 22:29
I have one that is cut and waiting in the shop to get sewn together in the morning so I can get an exact weight on the Lost River sized peice of IX. But I weighed a New River sized one a while back that was just a bit over 4 oz. The Lost river should be about 2-3 oz.

Glad you are liking it, looks good.

Paul,
Any chance of getting a Lost River with the ITX upgrade in a XL size (wider width)?

bull
04-23-2010, 22:34
I bought a Lost River XL w/IX upgrade from Paul. I Highly Recommend this quilt. Fast shipping. He builds nice gear. You will not go wrong with his quilt.
Mike

pgibson
04-23-2010, 22:46
Paul,
Any chance of getting a Lost River with the ITX upgrade in a XL size (wider width)?

Absolutely! :D

Just order the Recently listed LR XL and the IX upgrade --both are under the KAQ quick sort button at the top of the page in the store. Turnaround time right now is about 2 weeks or less.

thekevinator
11-26-2012, 16:59
this kelps me understand. I can't seem to find much info about this UQ until now- I dont think AHE still produces them but there is 1 remaining on their page

pgibson
11-26-2012, 17:02
this kelps me understand. I can't seem to find much info about this UQ until now- I dont think AHE still produces them but there is 1 remaining on their page

Yep the Lost did not make the cut when we moved to the new site. The Jarbidge is was to similar and due to how we make them more affordable to produce....hence it took over in the demand.

gunsfan05
11-26-2012, 17:40
the jarbridge is great though if you are looking for an affordable uq go with AHE