PDA

View Full Version : Western New Mexico?

joanwest
01-01-2016, 18:17
I'm going to be moving to the area near Grants/ Gallup, New Mexico for a few months. Any recommendations for hikes or backpacking trips in western NM? Anyone hung the CDT in NM?

Flash Grundelore
01-01-2016, 21:02
Aw, geez! Grants/Gallup is my dream world! I hope you have a wonderful time while you're there.
I had one of the best Mexican meals of my life in some little converted garage at the east end of Grants.

I always wanted to get back there and just go hike south somewhere off the road out between El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments.
You can also drive north from Gallup and I'm sure there're places where you can get in and climb up into the Chuskas.

joanwest
01-02-2016, 10:35
Aw, geez! Grants/Gallup is my dream world! I hope you have a wonderful time while you're there.
I had one of the best Mexican meals of my life in some little converted garage at the east end of Grants.

I always wanted to get back there and just go hike south somewhere off the road out between El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments.
You can also drive north from Gallup and I'm sure there're places where you can get in and climb up into the Chuskas.

Thanks so much! I'll check out these places--it seems like an interesting area.

kwpapke
01-02-2016, 10:55
Pietown is one of the classic stops on the CDT. Always wanted to go there...

I've done some hiking in the Gila, but that might be a long drive for you.

joanwest
01-02-2016, 12:06
Kwpapke- I feel the same way about Pietown- want to go there after reading about it. The Gila isn't too far- any suggested hikes that might be accessible in early spring?

Taozenqi
01-02-2016, 13:34
Pie town beyond the pies leaves a lot to be desired. Haha!
Hiking guides for NM;
Hikers Guide to NM - Laurence Parent
Trail Guide to Lincoln National Forest - John Stockert
Hiking NM Aldo Leopoldo Wilderness - Cunningham & Burke
Hiking NM Gila Wilderness- Cunningham & Burke

kwpapke
01-02-2016, 16:52
Kwpapke- I feel the same way about Pietown- want to go there after reading about it. The Gila isn't too far- any suggested hikes that might be accessible in early spring?
Did the Frisco Box Canyon and hot spring in the middle of October and it was perfect:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=2012&actid=43

joanwest
01-03-2016, 19:28
Hiking guides for NM;
Hikers Guide to NM - Laurence Parent
Trail Guide to Lincoln National Forest - John Stockert
Hiking NM Aldo Leopoldo Wilderness - Cunningham & Burke
Hiking NM Gila Wilderness- Cunningham & Burke

Perfect! Thanks!

joanwest
01-03-2016, 19:29
Did the Frisco Box Canyon and hot spring in the middle of October and it was perfect:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=2012&actid=43

Thanks kwpapke! And a hot springs too-- that's definitely going on the list!