PDA

View Full Version : Winter Haven 4-Season Tarp

TrailSlug
01-01-2016, 22:40
Guys,
This tarp looks a bit odd to me in the way the tarp is laid out. It looks like when the doors are closed the bottom of the tarp really takes away a lot of the room in the tarp. I have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I'm wondering if it will fit in this tarp the way it is cut. Any ideas. Any of your guys have this tarp with the WBRR? Thanks in advance.

mychal
01-02-2016, 08:37
I have a winter Haven, and have had a Kelty Noah, 3 WBSF's, and 2 Wilderness Logics OMW's. The Kelty is sort of your entry level 4 season tarp. All the rest are very similar. My SLD tarp is the widest of them, even with cat cuts, by a few inches. But Jared made it with 1.4 silnylon, so it's a few ounces heavier than the Superfly and the OMW.

Otherwise, the three cottage tarps are all outstanding and similar in quality and function.

This is just a theory, but I'm wondering if your concerns are based on some of the photos on the SLD web site. There are a couple where the doors are closed that make it seem very tiny inside. I can assure you this is an optical illusion. The sides of the tarp are similar length.

Or it could be because many of the other vendors photos show their tarps' doors staked to the ground, whereas a couple of the photos of the Winter Haven show the doors overlapping and attached to the opposite corner tie out, which makes it look smaller inside.

But I'm 6'5", and I close the doors on all my winter tarps that way, because I find that the easiest way to open and close them in the middle of the night, and they all have similar functional space inside then when closed.

You can't go wrong with any of these tarps.

If I were to buy a new winter tarp now, I'd pick an SLD WH, with one of the 1.1 ish fabrics. It's likely he'll have the tarp in the mail the very next day. And it will be amazing.

ps22285
01-02-2016, 14:58
+1 on the Winter Haven. Well made, packable and the doors work great. I did a pole mod for extra room.

dakotaross
01-03-2016, 09:39
Or, you can have 2qzq add doors to just about any tarp, and they put a vestibule style on there that increases you're covered floorspace. Note that you're right that the way the doors come in on a lot of winter tarps (incl superfly), they do take up some of the covered footprint, reducing floorspace. If I had to do over, I'd get a 10' tarp with the vestibule doors - the shorter tarp to fit into more places, with the doors negating the lack of coverage from the shorter tarp.

In this pic (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=26189&catid=member&imageuser=33), I've got the doors pulled in somewhat in order that my stakes weren't too close to the trees. The vestibule doors can actually add some length to the tarp, and even be tied around the trees in some cases.