PDA

View Full Version : Fabrics for DIY Hammocks

Trout
11-16-2009, 17:13
This year I picked up my love of backpacking this year after being gone for quite some time. Fitness has encouraged me to go lightweight... which let me to this forum. After hunting thru the articles, I have a question so I can try this out on the cheap. My local Wal-Mart's have various ripstop fabrics and what I think is silnylon.

What I need to know for sure is what fabrics are ok (a.k.a strong enough etc) for hammocking in the the wild? I weight about 240 pds and need this to be ok. As an added question, I've read about hammocks that are made that are double layered and don't know if that's what you have to do for my size. I plan on first making my own hammock before possibly purchasing a professionally made one - the fabric from Wal-mart will be my supplier. I'll use standard polyester thread for this project from a local store like Hobby-lobby or Jo-Ann's.

Your responses will be appreciated.

PuckerFactor
11-16-2009, 18:51
I imagine any of the ripstops would be fine. I have a double layer 1.1oz/yd. hammock I made that I've "dynamically loaded" with 320 lbs, and it held perfectly fine. I also have 2 gray mystery fabric ones that I feel perfectly secure in at 185lbs. I'd wager that even a single layer 1.1 would hold you, but it'd stretch enough that it'd be less than ideal. Especially since you're trying to go lightweight, I'd start with a dbl 1.1 and go from there. Pluses include the ability to put a pad in between the layers.
Don't know if you know, so I'll mention that you want a breathable fabric for your hammock, so no silnylon, but snatch it up anyway so you can make yourself a tarp too! :-D
As always, YMMV, so test no higher than you're willing to fall! :-P
Anyone else want to chime in with more (better) ideas?

Acer

Frawg
11-16-2009, 19:12
Acer, I'll second your observations. I like a double layer 1.1 best, myself, although I'm playing with a 1.9 single layer at the moment; I don't like wasting the 1.1 I have left on my experiments. I also tried a single layer 1.1 in the distant past, at about 215 pounds, and it held me, although with some worrisome stretching. I didn't feel the single 1.1 would be robust enough for long term use at my weight. A single layer 1.9 was fine.

I also have some "mystery fabric" that's like a taffeta, only a bit on the stretchy side. That stuff squeezes too much for my taste.

And welcome aboard, TroutEhCuss! :)

tammons
11-16-2009, 19:47
Walmart ripstop is the way to go.

I just asked the weight question myself since I weigh 235. One fellow responded even a single layer of 1.1 will work.

I had already made a a double 1.6 oz non coated asym hammock.
Thing weighs 24 oz with straps and will probably last forever.

That said, I am going to build an ultralight, like a single layer of 1.6 or 1.9 or a double 1.1next.

Figure it should weigh about 18 oz and I will just use the 1.6 double layer as a heavy duty setup for when I am out for a day or two.

You do not want to use silnylon for a hammock. Does not breath.
You can tell it because it is super super slippery. Use ti for a tarp.

DWR coated breaths, and repels water. It is slippery too but not even close to silnylon.
Silnylon is so slippery its very hard to work with and you have to pin it to death to sew it.

Trout
11-16-2009, 20:05
I was thinking that a nice lightweight hammock could be another project, but having a hammock and finding out if I like them is the first step - learning and all.

How does the double-layering work? Do you just fold over the fabric or do have two separate cloths knotted together?

sclittlefield
11-16-2009, 20:14
Double layer is a great way to go. PM me your email and I can send you a pretty thorough PDF on making a double layer with room to add a pad between the layers if desired.

Short answer though, just cut two lengths of your fabric (I recommend 11' long) and hem them together, then gather the ends. Bada bing, bada boom... double layer hammock.

Frawg
11-16-2009, 20:15
I was thinking that a nice lightweight hammock could be another project, but having a hammock and finding out if I like them is the first step - learning and all.
I'd just do a single layer one first, to get the hang of it. (sorry, can't help myself! :rolleyes: ) Rework it a couple of times to get familiar with everything and then you'll have learned most of what you need to know. Despite all the microengineering that goes on here (speaking as one of the guilty parties!) it's really pretty simple at heart, and a little hands-on experience goes a long way.

How does the double-layering work? Do you just fold over the fabric or do have two separate cloths knotted together?

You sew two layers together, with some slits left for inserting a pad between the layers. Check out Risk's ZHammock (http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm) for the general idea.

Trout
11-16-2009, 20:28
So, you sew the all four of the ends together of both layers, but then how do you insert a pad in?

sclittlefield
11-16-2009, 21:48
So, you sew the all four of the ends together of both layers, but then how do you insert a pad in?

That's the quick way to do it - but not the "insert a pad" way to do it.

Hem both layers together, except for the last 4' of the long edge on one side, and do the same to the other side, using the opposite end. Then hem the openings individually.

This may help a bit (the button hole is for adding a ridgeline through the hammock and looped onto the suspension - don't bother with this unless you know you want to).

tammons
11-16-2009, 21:54
Look at the link below.

You can make one you dont even have to sew.
Just get a length of fabric, knot the ends, tie on some straps and hang it.

As far as building one to load with a pad between the 2 layers look at the ZHammock in the link.

Links are on the bottom left.

http://www.imrisk.com/

Trout
11-17-2009, 08:14
I found the instructions a little confusing - regarding the sewing and folding, but I'll think on it.

Thanks.

KerMegan
11-17-2009, 10:28
If any of your friends or friends wives sew at all they can translate the jargon for you. once you'e seen it done, it become only a matter of manageing the large pieces of fabric.
HTH, KM

Trout
11-17-2009, 21:26
My wife has sworn off any other projects. It me or nothing. Friends? I'm an odd egg and work too much for friends. :)

RePete
11-18-2009, 13:12
Hey if you want to have a chance to just swing from a hammock I can bring mine the next time im in your neighborhood as long as you have a couple of trees or a nice park close by. At least that can give you a feel for it and maybe we can even pull my apart to take a look at it. PM me and we can try to work out schedules.

Trout
11-18-2009, 13:14
I pm'd ya. I'd love to check it out. I have two trees in the front yard that would work.